Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 410 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #26 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Piece 1115

• Jujutsu Kaisen 261

• Mission: Yozakura Family 227

• Me & Roboco 186

• Sakamoto Days 167

• The Elusive Samurai 157

• Witch Watch 157

• Blue Box 150

• Akane Banashi 111

• Kill Blue 54

• Nue's Exorcist 51

• Kagurabachi 34

• Green Green Greens 24

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 15

• Ruri Dragon 14

• Dearn Anemone 14

• Astro Royale 6

• Kyokuto Necromance 5

• Psych House 3

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

JBC008

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
JBC, its not that we did not enjoy it the first chapter, we are judging it by seeing if there was an improvement over his first series. Its just that we want Fusai not to fumble yet again with a new series, we want to see him succeed like all other authors in the magazine.
Oh, well, okay. But to add my hat in the ring on Fusai’s series, I think it is an improvement from Aliens Area. The art was much cleaner, the character designs were much better, and I do think there was a better focus on the story. Although there are a few gripes, I will save them for the review.

Dongus

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Ken Wakui is... not arrogant. What I mean is that his approach to the second chapter of Astro Royale is... how a newbie would approach it. Even though he's a heavyweight going into the mag, already on par with the best sellers, he's still writing as if he could get axed anytime. This is a good thing. The biggest pitfall for a veteran if you ask me is the tendency to believe your name will allow you more leeway to slow down or bore the reader because your fans would expectantly have faith in you. Most of the axed veterans fall under this umbrella to me. I consider that arrogance. Ken Wakui, maybe because he's technically a newbie to Jump, is not letting his previous successes and achievements get to his head, so he's going in like a newbie would. Like a talented newbie who knows what he's doing. Slowly, but surely, he's keeping his pace, extracting whatever information the reader needs to know, while progressing the story and making sure the events maximize the characterizations he set up. And he makes sure something exciting happens so people look forward to next week. These are intelligent steps.

Fusai Naba on the other hand... He's still a tad bit immature. I enjoyed Kyokotu Necromance for what it is, but when he's debuting next to Ken Wakui, his weaknesses become more pronounced. In terms of art, it's definitely more clean than Aliens Area. His composition still isn't the best though, and this is best exemplified in the slashing spread when the mentor dealt with the monster. If you're going to swordfight, you need to take on Kagurabachi head-to-head. Trying for a fancy repeat paneling over a spread that shows off the sheer speed and brutality sends off an 'effortless' vibe, and it makes it feel less cool than it could be. Art and composition can improve over time, but the biggest detractor may be in the writing. I liked the characters, but the question that I ask when I think of a story that begun is, "Do I want to see more of them?" It's hard to answer with a yes. The biggest issue is that the MC lacks a raison d'etre to carry the weight of the story. Yes, he wants to become a necromancer to protect himself and his grandma, but it's not... enticing. It's not enough to form an arc, let alone an entire story around. If he could build it up with a, "We're being targeted by certain ghouls who are also the final boss" or with a, "I want to be the Number One Necromancer!" then there's some meat to drive it. But as it stands, his goal is entirely passive, and that is unexciting in the long term. Bleach got away with it, but Kubo managed to because he can distract attention from his lack of ethos with extremely strong characterization and chemistry. Fusai Naba isn't a Kubo. I still believe in him, and hope he can impress over the next few chapters.

Also goddamn Kento Amemiya please come back and do some harem manga or whatever that involves girls please please please I'm begging you come on man how were you hiding this incredible skill from everyone for so long what form of cursed universe is this that the best girl artist on Jump was a fudanshi who wanted to draw handsome boys I want out of this timeline guahhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

Velx

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
Necromance was too generic. Can't say that I'm enjoying Astro too. So far, the new batch doesn't look good for me, can't believe they axed MamaYuyu for this.

Lil meen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Necromance was WAY too generic for my liking, it doesn’t help we already have several others of the exact same battle genre in the magazine, I also hope that Astro Royale really goes in on the Yankee aspect and fleshes out it’s world a bit to set it apart, still a pretty solid 2nd chapter, just hope this doesn’t get to by the books.

GetGetGetGet

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Issue #21
  1. Jujutsu Kaisen: 9/10
  2. Akane-banashi: 8/10
  3. Sakamoto Days: 8/10
  4. Kagurabachi: 7/10
  5. Witch Watch: 7/10
  6. RuriDragon: 7/10
  7. Undead Unluck: 7/10
  8. Blue Box: 6/10
  9. One Piece: 6/10
  10. Yozakura: 5/10
  11. Elusive Samurai: 4/10
  12. Nue: 3/10

Last edited:

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Anemone has 13 pages this week, has this happened before where a series before chapter 20 has less pages than 19?

jesanime

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Astro is actually pretty good so far if not a little on the generic side with our protagonist.
Trying to set my discord pfp to a cool panel made me remember Wakui's talent of giving every character luffy's talent of Gomu-Gomu no Neck
:gatling

CastletonSnob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ken Wakui is... not arrogant. What I mean is that his approach to the second chapter of Astro Royale is... how a newbie would approach it. Even though he's a heavyweight going into the mag, already on par with the best sellers, he's still writing as if he could get axed anytime. This is a good thing. The biggest pitfall for a veteran if you ask me is the tendency to believe your name will allow you more leeway to slow down or bore the reader because your fans would expectantly have faith in you. Most of the axed veterans fall under this umbrella to me. I consider that arrogance. Ken Wakui, maybe because he's technically a newbie to Jump, is not letting his previous successes and achievements get to his head, so he's going in like a newbie would. Like a talented newbie who knows what he's doing. Slowly, but surely, he's keeping his pace, extracting whatever information the reader needs to know, while progressing the story and making sure the events maximize the characterizations he set up. And he makes sure something exciting happens so people look forward to next week. These are intelligent steps.

Fusai Naba on the other hand... He's still a tad bit immature. I enjoyed Kyokotu Necromance for what it is, but when he's debuting next to Ken Wakui, his weaknesses become more pronounced. In terms of art, it's definitely more clean than Aliens Area. His composition still isn't the best though, and this is best exemplified in the slashing spread when the mentor dealt with the monster. If you're going to swordfight, you need to take on Kagurabachi head-to-head. Trying for a fancy repeat paneling over a spread that shows off the sheer speed and brutality sends off an 'effortless' vibe, and it makes it feel less cool than it could be. Art and composition can improve over time, but the biggest detractor may be in the writing. I liked the characters, but the question that I ask when I think of a story that begun is, "Do I want to see more of them?" It's hard to answer with a yes. The biggest issue is that the MC lacks a raison d'etre to carry the weight of the story. Yes, he wants to become a necromancer to protect himself and his grandma, but it's not... enticing. It's not enough to form an arc, let alone an entire story around. If he could build it up with a, "We're being targeted by certain ghouls who are also the final boss" or with a, "I want to be the Number One Necromancer!" then there's some meat to drive it. But as it stands, his goal is entirely passive, and that is unexciting in the long term. Bleach got away with it, but Kubo managed to because he can distract attention from his lack of ethos with extremely strong characterization and chemistry. Fusai Naba isn't a Kubo. I still believe in him, and hope he can impress over the next few chapters.

Also goddamn Kento Amemiya please come back and do some harem manga or whatever that involves girls please please please I'm begging you come on man how were you hiding this incredible skill from everyone for so long what form of cursed universe is this that the best girl artist on Jump was a fudanshi who wanted to draw handsome boys I want out of this timeline guahhhhhhhhhhh
Kento Amemiya could be very successful if he made a harem/romantic comedy manga for Weekly Shonen Magazine.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, Necromancer is as bad as Aliens Area.

It is weirdly similar too. MC has weird vision of the power system, meets an eccentric older guy the next day, randomly encounters a monster, gets a sudden power-up from an artifact he received before the chapter started, but the monster is ultimately defeated by the eccentric older guy anyway, and the MC is invited to join a shadowy organization.

There are some improvements. More happens; the MC shows more agency; and the story seems a bit more fleshed out. But the premise is so much less interesting here that I think people are going to notice the obvious flaws a lot more by default. Sometimes aesthetic is more important than writing and Necromancer does not have that. 100% DOA unfortunately.

At least Astro Royale chapter 2 capturing a sort of childish fun that Jump has been missing for a long time, I hope it continues like this for a while. Big early One Piece vibes.

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil

At least Astro Royale chapter 2 capturing a sort of childish fun that Jump has been missing for a long time, I hope it continues like this for a while. Big early One Piece vibes.
Yeah even the way he did the punch on the end of the chapter remind me luffy punchs

CastletonSnob

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kind of off-topic, but why isn't there a thread for Weekly Shonen Magazine? At least, I haven't seen one.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

or even on jump
Sure, but Weekly Shonen Magazine is more known for harem/romantic comedy manga.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, am I wrong, or was there simply no jokes in SPPC this week? I was waiting for a punchline but it never came.

Chojo and Inukai are just Mitama and Kurosu from Mitama Security, except in Mitama Security the joke is that Kurosu constantly dotes on Mitama even though they act like rivals. Here, the joke is that Inukai is a genuine creep and it makes everyone deeply uncomfortable. At this point it isn't even a joke, it's just a character trait.

Ravellino

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kind of off-topic, but why isn't there a thread for Weekly Shonen Magazine? At least, I haven't seen one.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Sure, but Weekly Shonen Magazine is more known for harem/romantic comedy manga.
yeah but jump also have sucess on that ,and now magazine is very full of this types of mangas
and i think is this thread https://mangahelpers.com/forum/threads/weekly-shonen-magazine-news-and-discussion.3021243/page-44

echo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Necromancer was painfully mediocre.

Astro second chapter was painfully shounen (yes I know this is shounen jump but still).

Here's hoping the new series next week will start with a good chapter...

JBC008

Reaction score
Country

It is weirdly similar too. MC has weird vision of the power system, meets an eccentric older guy the next day, randomly encounters a monster, gets a sudden power-up from an artifact he received before the chapter started, but the monster is ultimately defeated by the eccentric older guy anyway, and the MC is invited to join a shadowy organization.

There are some improvements. More happens; the MC shows more agency; and the story seems a bit more fleshed out. But the premise is so much less interesting here that I think people are going to notice the obvious flaws a lot more by default. Sometimes aesthetic is more important than writing and Necromancer does not have that. 100% DOA unfortunately.

I will agree on Necromancer, but will say it is better than Aliens Area. And the one thing I have to say is that I have to rank Naba against themself cause if I were to do so with the rest of the magazine, he will lose. Compared to his contemporaries.But the one thing I will have to somewhat argue and add on was your comment on an eccentric character like what we had here and Aliens Area. Though nothing special I would have to compare this trope to what Y. Matsui has done from Neuro to The Elusive Samurai. But those characters were really off the wall in terms of personality. Here the two figure characters (and I mean the ones in AA and Necromancer) have a personality that reminds me of Kakashi, Urahara, Eraserhead, Yami, and Gojo. Aside from Gojo, they have a more subdue personality. And Naba’s characters that you and I pointed out are no exception.

Discomusic

Reaction score
Country
Italy
1. Astro Royale: I keep loving it, expecially how easy it is to read. The decision to forget the explanations for the moment and go with an action chapter was pretty nice, it estabilshed the personality of the characters and the factions in play. I hope it goes strong, it is so fresh.
2. Green Green Greens: There it is, the most fearsome enemy of golf players...the pressure. I like a lot its representation in King Golf, as many small imps that grab you and keep you down with them. I also predict that Oga will regret the next time she will try a risky shot.
3. Kill Blue: Liked the chapter more than usual... from the "secret technique" gag at the beginning that never gets old, to the bastardness of the evil villain (much better than last week!) to the reaction of the protagonist... although losing temper in a moment like this may be a problem. Very good chapter!
4. RuriDragon: I wasn't sure if I wanted to add this in my review, but it is Jump anyway, so here we are. I liked the banter between the two girls, it felt like how a real teenage banter would be.
5. Blue Box: While reading the chapter I was having flashback about that summer festival at the beginning of the series that was a wild ride of emotions. Will it be topped this summer? For sure it started good.
6. Jujutsu Kaisen: I won't ask if the things revealed at the beginning were revealed already or not. I'll just say that I was happy that for the first time in ages, it felt like we have a real main character in this series.
7. Sakamoto Days: Look who's back, the only one man missing the party until now. He surely couldn't choose a worst timing for showing up.
8. Akane-banashi: A tale of three parts: the long-awaited talk between parents, the lore of the golden generation, and the revelation for the next arc... which is the part it gets me invested the most.
9. Kagurabachi: As far as pure action chapters go, this one was very enjoyable. Now that it has a deeper background, even the action is worth something and it is not only for the sake of action.
10. One Piece: It is back, and I didn't remember enough of the previous chapter to understand everything. I think it was a pack of action while the countdown continues, but what I will truly bring back home is Franky punching that guy at the beginning.
11. The Elusive Samurai: A moment before, war strategy and despicable enemy portaits. A moment after, everyone goes at the local market. Wierd but ultimately fun.
12. Witch Watch: A new, strong character appeared, trimming with an irrestistible power. Glad she is an ally, because she would be a very fearsome enemy. Momochi's backstory got me a few laughs.
13. Undead Unluck: Mangaplus comments made me understand the Apocalypse trick and now I get it, but I feel very sorry for Nico and for all the efforts of Fuuko to keep his ability unmanifested.
14. Nue's Exorcist: I like the training routines with this level system, probably among the best ideas for a training arc in recent times. I don't like everything else in this chapter.
15. Mission: Yozakura Family: I had to Wikipedia the guy but I think I may remember that he existed. Apparently, his whole character was about his existence being forgettable so...good job Gondaira?
16. Me and Roboco: One of those chapters I will forget by next week. Today it got me very hungry though... and they could offer some to the HxH referee guy.
17. Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: The first chapter where the main character is not involved (save from the very beginning and the very end). Was it better or worse? Actually it was... just the same. And they were talking about him all the time anyway, so it was not a real change after all.
18. Kyokuto Necromancer: I have to agree, this first chapter was very generic. There are waaaaaay too many series whose premise is "misterious guy shows up to oblivious MC and shows him how to exterminate previously unseen monsters/spirits, and by the way the MC is gifted and now wants to join the party". The last of those? Shadow Eliminators. It didn't go well, I heard.
19. Dear Anemone: Very short, and kind of rushing. All of a sudden the fight is over and they have a free pass to additional reveals... not a good sign.
20. Shadow Eliminators: Nice epilogue for a pretty bad series, with a pretty good flashback but nothing remarkable apart from that. It wanted to end on the friendship of the two protagonists, but for the whole final battle one of them was close to being forgotten, so who cares?

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Also, am I wrong, or was there simply no jokes in SPPC this week? I was waiting for a punchline but it never came.

Chojo and Inukai are just Mitama and Kurosu from Mitama Security, except in Mitama Security the joke is that Kurosu constantly dotes on Mitama even though they act like rivals. Here, the joke is that Inukai is a genuine creep and it makes everyone deeply uncomfortable. At this point it isn't even a joke, it's just a character trait.
I don’t know, I kind of feel like this is more of a small mini arc for the joke. I mean at first when I saw the creep again I was like:
But then again, I will same my judgement for next week as I think we might get the payoff. I want to be careful cause I don't want to be a schrill about it, but I am just going with what I am seeing cause lately, it feels like Numa is trying to make it both episodic but also more story driven. Wasn't Samon the Summoner episodic as a series before it tried to be more story driven and it failed?

CastletonSnob

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to get into One Piece, but I'm only at Chapter 31.

I'm so far behind that I'll never catch up.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
I want to get into One Piece, but I'm only at Chapter 31.

I'm so far behind that I'll never catch up.
As long as you have the free time and patience, then you can.