Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 439 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #26 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Piece 1115

• Jujutsu Kaisen 261

• Mission: Yozakura Family 227

• Me & Roboco 186

• Sakamoto Days 167

• The Elusive Samurai 157

• Witch Watch 157

• Blue Box 150

• Akane Banashi 111

• Kill Blue 54

• Nue's Exorcist 51

• Kagurabachi 34

• Green Green Greens 24

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 15

• Ruri Dragon 14

• Dearn Anemone 14

• Astro Royale 6

• Kyokuto Necromance 5

• Psych House 3

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

galaxy-juice

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Everytime I get a snippet of Hokazono, I always leave thinking, "This guy is probably an idiot." I don't mean that in a meanspirited way, but he's very blunt about what he likes and what he wants to do. Kagurabachi is written very tightly and has strong foundations, but I do not sense any form of genius from any words that comes out of the author. It's like, everything he says, just screams, 'simpleminded'. Then again, I adhere to the philosophy that, "A smart man can solve a problem with a well-thought solution, a smarter man can solve the same problem with a thoughtless solution."

I remember reading some interviews on Akira Toriyama during his passing, and I also came to the same conclusion. "This guy is probably kind of stupid." No insult, honest. From his very first showing of Dragon Ball during the last volume of Arale (He said, "See you in Dragon Ball, if that even comes out" not knowing what a media juggernaut he was about to make), the various stories about how things changed and developed in Dragon Ball (He barely planned anything at all and winged it around his editor) or maybe why the movie was called "Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero" (He forgot the suffix was Dragon Ball Super and made a redundant title). Yeah, he literally molded an entire generation of humanity. But I don't think he had any ambition or desire to do any of that and was just winging his way through everything.
I think this boils down to planners versus non-planners again. To use loaded words like genius or idiot in any capacity feels reductive.

Toriyama has a deep understanding of what makes good manga, which was not a skill he was inherently born with. However, he also has a very loose creative processes. He likes to lets ideas develop organically, without much of a plan. Those are not mutually exclusive groups.

A lot of Toriyama's work appeals to the inner child in people, but that does not mean that Toriyama has the actual mind of a child, which is what this interpretation kind of implies. It's just his style.

And that interview with Hokazono kind of contradicts that interpretation anyway, since he clearly expresses that the story isn't instinctual to him, he is thinking very consciously about the style and flow, and he clearly has ambition to challenge himself and create something new.
He isn't really being blunt or simple-minded here, he's simply answering interview questions, isn't he?

Dongus

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I think this boils down to planners versus non-planners again. To use loaded words like genius or idiot in any capacity feels reductive.

Toriyama has a deep understanding of what makes good manga, which was not a skill he was inherently born with. However, he also has a very loose creative processes. He likes to lets ideas develop organically, without much of a plan. Those are not mutually exclusive groups.

A lot of Toriyama's work appeals to the inner child in people, but that does not mean that Toriyama has the actual mind of a child, which is what this interpretation kind of implies. It's just his style.

And that interview with Hokazono kind of contradicts that interpretation anyway, since he clearly expresses that the story isn't instinctual to him, he is thinking very consciously about the style and flow, and he clearly has ambition to challenge himself and create something new.
He isn't really being blunt or simple-minded here, he's simply answering interview questions, isn't he?
I'll keep it brief and say I don't disagree with you.

I just have different expectations and interpretations of creative minds based on past experiences. Yes, Hokazono is conscious about the style and flow, but ultimately, he only wants to challenge himself to impress himself and readers, which is a very mundane goal in of itself. It's a simple goal. And I'm more impressed that he's gotten so far off something as simple as that.

I've left behind a life where people boast of the themes they want to portray to essay lengths, the references they're taking from (the quality of your story depends on whether or not your references are acceptable), details are scrutinized ("Oh, you said he wields a kopesh in this fantasy world, well I'm sorry to inform you but the kopesh is not inherent to the region or timeline you are describing"), and so on...

It's nice, and it feels liberating to realize you don't actually need to do any that dumb crap to tell a decent story. Everyone has their own way. Just do what comes naturally.

Came across this image randomly and it perfectly encapsulates how I feel

Last edited:

TheRealTravisty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gakuro > Andy. Hope it holds up. Best boy deserves all the love

Backlog volumes of Nue's Exorcist also appeared!
Oh no. Oh hell no. As someone who admitted they don’t even read Undead Unluck in the first place, you have no idea how wrong you are. Gakuro as a character is a complete and utter joke.

Sigh. Anyway, looking at the bigger picture, I’m sure things will look different at the end of the month, as they usually do. Definitely sad for GGG, but golf is understandably a hard sell. I’m curious what its total sales will be at the end of the month.

As for Kagurabachi, I don’t have much to say. But I am happy for users like KrenKren.

Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
-Kagurabachi actually beat Boruto and got second place
-Nue beat Undead Unluck

Things will change on day 2 for sure but for now, I'm smiling with these day 1 results. My smile will be complete if Kagurabachi manages to be in Oricon top-10 for at least just this week (wondering if between both volume 1 and volume 2, it can do over 60k this week alone. I would say no but Kagurabachi has defied my sense so many times already).

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain

Official account posted the ending and they deleted it, but it's already spread in the internet lol

I'm starting to wonder if MHA Season 7 will be able to cover all the rest of the manga

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Anyone has prediction for Kagurabachi vol 2 salea after 1 week?

Zest00

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
Oh no. Oh hell no. As someone who admitted they don’t even read Undead Unluck in the first place, you have no idea how wrong you are. Gakuro as a character is a complete and utter joke.
I'm not a big fan of Undead Unluck, nor am I a hater of that series, but calling Gakuro a joke is kind of off. Gakuro is currently the best-written character in Nue right now. Andy is an interesting protagonist, although Fuuko as the protagonist is definitely better than him. However, I think Gakuro is better than Andy.

TheRealTravisty

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm not a big fan of Undead Unluck, nor am I a hater of that series, but calling Gakuro a joke is kind of off. Gakuro is currently the best-written character in Nue right now. Andy is an interesting protagonist, although Fuuko as the protagonist is definitely better than him. However, I think Gakuro is better than Andy.
He’s getting *better*, sure. But for a long period of time, I wouldn’t say Gakuro was the appeal of the series. It’s clearly the female characters.
I made this comment while comparing where Andy was in UU’s first 48 chapters and where Gakuro is right now in Nue’s 48 chapters.

I guess my comment was a bit strong due to my annoyance, but I’ll agree to disagree.

susanoo13

Reaction score
Country
Israel

Official account posted the ending and they deleted it, but it's already spread in the internet lol

I'm starting to wonder if MHA Season 7 will be able to cover all the rest of the manga
You need to remember the amount of fights and that the episode count could either be 4 episodes shorter than usual or 8 episodes longer than usual. another option is a split season. with the complete count to reach 3 cours length.

pennycryman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, Gakuro is certainly better than what he was in the first chapter, but he's only entertaining to me when he's bouncing off Nue's antics. Actually, that's a complaint I've had with these last 2 arcs, there's not much Nue antics, which were easily the funniest part of the series. It's a shame, because I was really warming up to the series' sense of humor before the battle arc, Nue forcing Gakuro to fight all the boys in the school in ritual combat got a cackle out of me, but lately I feel the series just hasn't made me laugh. I know a lot of series suffer from a school setting but this series seems to suffer from a lack of it.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I honestly doubt it, unless they'll male more episodes than normal.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Anyone has a guess why GGG is not popular? I don't read it so i have no opinion

TiC

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anyone has a guess why GGG is not popular? I don't read it so i have no opinion
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all the popular sports manga really homoerotic? Subsequently, they garner massive female fanbases who ship the characters. GGG doesn't seem to have that aspect.

Broseph

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was something I was worried about earlier but I think it comes down to the plot of GGG not having as much urgency. It has good character writing but lacked a hook right off the bat which I think it needed. Haikyuu for example had the rivalry aspect and made sure to put it upfront from the start and get into it quickly

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
You need to remember the amount of fights and that the episode count could either be 4 episodes shorter than usual or 8 episodes longer than usual. another option is a split season. with the complete count to reach 3 cours length.
Or a full 2 cours and finish it off with a movie?

susanoo13

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Or a full 2 cours and finish it off with a movie?
With the latest trends and of course profits it's definitely possible although I hope for a TV screening for us to wait less.

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't all the popular sports manga really homoerotic? Subsequently, they garner massive female fanbases who ship the characters. GGG doesn't seem to have that aspect.
Guess the saying is true. If you cannot appeal to adult women you are finished. They are the demographic that are most likely to splurge on merch. Just look at UU lacklustre sales as it fails to be appealing.

Kagurabachi, hitman reborn, JJK, Slam Dunk and Haikyu has tons and tons of female fanbase.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Haruto Umezawa (Hareluya II Boy) started a new series in Young Ace

I didn't know he changed publishers, this is his second series with YA, he did an isekai manga before that