Discussion - Do you like the Culling Game ? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Do you like the Culling Game ?

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
As the title says, are you enjoying it? Is there something that doesn't convince you?

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
It's weird but entertaining. It's the tournament arc of this manga, so it should be fun.

So far I'm not getting who are the old sorcerers vs the new ones

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
For me, it has an issue that Shibuya also had: at times it can feel like just a collection of fights rather than an actual arc with a narrative and plotting. The tournament/game aspect definitely alleviates that somewhat for this arc, but Shibuya was working with more characters who had already been established. Since so many of these Culling Game characters are being introduced here, and so much emphasis is being put on the fights, the quality depends almost entirely on the characterization/character writing. Sometimes this can work out really well (Higuruma), other times not so much (Ryu and Uro).

That being said, I still think it's the best series in Jump atm.

Riverskull

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I really like it, it has kind of a different vibe and structure than previous arcs, but is to be expected since Shibuya changed entirely the status quo of the series.

Gege used with Shibuya a lot of the characters, antagonists and storylines that had builded up to that point and giving them clousure, but since we are continuing with a new stage of the story, he had to come up with new stuff from scratch to progress the plot, new characters, new antagonists, new storylines and son. And because of the impact of Shibuya, the entire world and story is now in a constant sense of urgency, so it couldnt have the same built up Shibuya had, so instead, is building more stuff within the arc itself.

If Shibuya was the culmination of a stage in the story, then Culling Game is a stage to set/built new characters, developments and plotpoints for the end game/ final arc imo.

For me, it has an issue that Shibuya also had: at times it can feel like just a collection of fights rather than an actual arc with a narrative and plotting. The tournament/game aspect definitely alleviates that somewhat for this arc, but Shibuya was working with more characters who had already been established. Since so many of these Culling Game characters are being introduced here, and so much emphasis is being put on the fights, the quality depends almost entirely on the characterization/character writing. Sometimes this can work out really well (Higuruma), other times not so much (Ryu and Uro).

That being said, I still think it's the best series in Jump atm.
I actually think Ryu worked really well, especially since he is such a straightforward character. Although i agree that Uro kind of ended half baked, there was quite some stuff teased about her character and especially for lore, but atleast she still alive, so hopefully that can be adressed later.

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I am enjoying it so far. I like that the fights are quite tactical and they remind me a lot of HxH. We have yet to see any example of nakama powerup or things like that, and you can notice how important matchups are in the fights.

My only issue would be the lack of plot progress I guess, but I think it is fine as it was expected we would go through a series of fights

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
The impression I have is that Akutami wants to do like Araki, following the formula "villain of the week with a weird power and a crazy attitude", but without having his creative flair.