Discussion - Favorite Character Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Favorite Character Thread

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Who is your favorite character? And what makes them so interesting to you?
Discuss here!

ninjabot

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fushiguro Megumi. It's not intentional, but it seems I'm always drawn to the "rival" character in shounen series regardless of the series (check out the avi). Something about them not being absurdly goofy and a bit less plot protected I guess, lmao.

Plus, I like fighting styles that revolve around versatility, as well as personalities that show characters to be more thoughtful and focused.

Kurumi Tokisaki

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
The Goat Gojou of course.

Ramen

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Nanami 100%. Badass in every single way.

Riverskull

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Kind of unpopular, but my fav is Mahito :p

I love how bastarly evil he is and his style of doing things, not to mention how insanely creative is with his powers, definetly one of my fav shonen villains in recent memory.

Followed by Sukuna, Nobara, Maki and Toji who i also love aswell.

Last edited:

Orion

Reaction score
Country
United States
My fav is Sukuna. Of the stuff I'm reading rn, he's easily the coldest dude in the game. Absolute chills when he appears, and when Mimiko and Nanako contemplated breathing in his presence, really says it all. Only his pleasure and displeasure exist. Beyond that, I'm really interested in his current plans, cursed technique, and backstory in the Golden Age.

Favorite Quote: "The boughs that bear most hang lowest. But it seems your head doesn't bear much."

Runner ups: Nanamin and besto friendo Todo

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
Can't say if I have an absolute favorite, but the characters I enjoy seeing on-screen the most are, in no order : Satoru Gojo, Aoi Toudou, Ryomen Sukuna, Yuta Okkotsu.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Find it hard to rank my favs too, but in no particular order

Okkotsu Yuta - just like how he's turned from a total whimp into a badass haha. And it made sense to me, considering he seemed pretty cheerful in the past. Also like the chemistry with Rika, and their development :D (that twist was good)

Megumi - Seemed like your usual (nihilistic) emoboy at first, and I guess he does have at least a bit of those traits, but he has a big heart and really cares for his friends. I can also relate to how he's trying to think of the team, but ultimately has to (and does) focus more on himself as well. Not to forget his powers have that lovely edgy touch :fan

Gojo - I don't need to explain this, right? Just pure fun and badassery, and his powers are cool af.

And while she's not really among by absolute favs, I have to give a shoutout to Nobara for remaining a really badass female lead. I got a bit worried during the course of the story, but when she ended up

owning Mahito

that put a big grin on my face :3

Could name a few more, but that's enough for one post : D

Tatsumaki

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Yuuji: I like him so much, I just want to cheer him on. He's one of the few MC that haven't annoyed me at some point. His development is well-written for me.
For now I think he's my favorite character overall.

Nanami: Big heart on him. His interactions with Yuuji were great. He's just a very great mentor. His introduction was so funny too.

Choso and Todo: Like them for the same reason, that brother thing that cracked me up at the beginning but turned out kinda serious at the end. They both did their best to help Yuuji too.

Gojo: He's beautiful and strong. I love people that are beautiful and strong.

Okkotsu and Sukuna I'm eager to know more about them, they'll probably join my favorites soon.

Darkhorse: TOJI: I hated him but then stan twitter made me love him, I wouldn't even be able to explain it !

(PS: I didn't put any girl on here (SHAME ON ME) but JJK has a very strong female cast, all of them are incredible)

Equaling Heaven

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Itadori Yuuji is my favorite. The first shonen protagonist that show such depths of development in just a few chapters, going from "i'm mad because you toyed with an innocent boy feelings" to "i'm the mirror you told me i am".

Next I have Gojo. He is their master and still live in a dimension his students only dream to reach. I always hated the idea of sudden protagonist who is a prodigy because yes and surpass their master even during their teenages. I also like his arrogance, because it's backed up by his actual overall strenght. It isn't just bragging.

Mahito is placed high in my list too because of all the disasters he's the one I feel the most by being the manifestation of humanity bad side itself. Even his final moments he show this kind of depravity. Cowardice and betrayal.

I like every character in this story because they're all amazing, but this is my top three.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Itadori Yuuji is my favorite. The first shonen protagonist that show such depths of development in just a few chapters, going from "i'm mad because you toyed with an innocent boy feelings" to "i'm the mirror you told me i am".
Now this is a rare statement. I agree that Yuji is a real bro, and his development is quite good. I have yet to see a single person who dislikes him, and that says a lot about the main protagonist.

On the other hand I feel he simply gets overshadowed by many other chars. Yuuji is a good character, but others simply are more interesting/fascinating. Probably doesn't help that his powers are fairly simple so far, either. While he's far less divisive than most shonen protags, the main problem might be that he's relatively unremarkable in comparison (which works as both a pro and a con).

Equaling Heaven

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Now this is a rare statement. I agree that Yuji is a real bro, and his development is quite good. I have yet to see a single person who dislikes him, and that says a lot about the main protagonist.

On the other hand I feel he simply gets overshadowed by many other chars. Yuuji is a good character, but others simply are more interesting/fascinating. Probably doesn't help that his powers are fairly simple so far, either. While he's far less divisive than most shonen protags, the main problem might be that he's relatively unremarkable in comparison (which works as both a pro and a con).
I see where you coming from and I agree. Gotta use Naruto as an exemple. Just like Itadori he was already a perfect vessel from start because he was born from the previous one. But then Naruto have his own pletora of creative skill usage.
Itadori being simple is amazing. He is very adept to team work. We saw him doing great with Todo, Nobara, in the future he will collab with Fushiguro too. Back on being simple I loved how he fooled Mahito into lowering his guard to hit with a Black Flash. We also saw that in the last chapter he isn't that Naive about the things going on, he's just inexperienced. We saw him reflecting and speaking a lot on regards of the culling game. Shonen usually force X character into being dumb so Y can show up as the big brain close friend.

I feel like Itadori is a better Urameshi or Ichigo. He got his powers and decided to do his best to help those in need due to a new condition. But over time we see him evolving a lot on the personal/emotional side. Kechizu Eso fight, and the final showdown against Mahito too showed us how much of a good person he is by acknowledging the bond between the two curses, but also how grounded he can be when he accepts that "he is Mahito" and that he probably isn't nothing more than a cog.

Reactions: Nii

Riverskull

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
One thing i really like about Itadori as opposed to other shonen MCs is that he is not treated as Jesus, that tiring syndrome where the main character is the lord and savior, fighting only the strongest oponents/bosses by himself while everyone else wanks him to no end like cheerleaders and everything will be okay afterwards, is something i really got sick of.

Itadori on the other hand, is a strong boy, but still very limited, he can hold pretty well in fights but he is still pretty vulnerable, no matter how much he tries, to the point where he constantly has to be carried by others to win all the major fights (Nanami, Nobara, Todou, Megumi), and when he fights alone he ends up losing (Finger bearer, Choso, Mahito, Yuta) and these loses are followed by some severe consecuences: when he losed against the finger bearer, Sukuna took over, beating the shit out of Megumi and killed Yuji. When he losed against Choso, Sukuna took over again and commited the japanese equivalent of the 9/11, With Mahito he couldnt avoid Jumpeis, Nanamis and (maybe) Nobara deaths in front of his nose, and still got beaten to oblivion afterwards. And when he losed to Yuta, he got killed again (fortunatly Yuta was an ally all along), not to mention how mentally fucked he gets after these encounters, it hits even harder when you realize that Yuji was originally a dude who didnt want to do with any of this.

To me he is a much more grounded version of Yusuke, Ichigo or even Gon

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

Pretty much my thoughts. Some people not going to like this but I cant help but find Itadori one of the weak spots of this manga. Its pretty clear team Gojo is based on team 7 but Itadori surely more based on Ichigo. But Ichigo had quite a character on his own and Itadori character is just sorta there.

Hana Maria

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Mine is Nobara🌹
She's just great!(Character wise), Her powers are cool too!
I wish she gets the reverse cursed energy technique, afterall she was feeling the core of cursed energy against mahito just like gojo did against getto, cause not only will it save her but also will power her up!

iijyanaika

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
is there no love for my best friend Todo?

Ghetto

Reaction score
Country
France
For me, Mahito and Geto Suguru are the bests. If I were in JJK world, I would be a curse. When you look at Jogo, Hanami and Dagon, they look so more... true than humans ! No, I am surely mad but I can't stand humans. They're disgusting. Not all, of course, but the most important part of them. Of us.😭

Rjbtv

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Maki and Kenjaku