Discussion - Joyboy was an oni | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Joyboy was an oni

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
No notes

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
99% he was a Buccaneer.

traf

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Estonia
Oni is a good candidate. Seemingly a lot of non-human races retained more connection to Joyboy/Nika: fishmen, lunarians, buccaneers, giants. Oni race on the other hand is not explored much, but there is a giant straw hat in Marijoe + some supposed symbolism with Oars Jr having one + reanimated Oars Sr behaviour maybe hinting at him being the Joyboy. So given giant straw hat, the implication is big that Joyboy is a giant/oni. And Elbaf will come with the biggest lore dump, that's given.

I wonder from whose perspective we are going to see Joyboy/void century flashbacks. Even giants' lifespan does not allow to have a guy still alive from Void Century times. I doubt there is some Oars relative old enough to tell the story as well. And I doubt that we'll get it from villain's perspective, as in Imu and Co. Ancient Robot is certainly a candidate for that, and btw he might be originally an ancient giant as well, maybe that's even his giant straw hat, but idk. But if not, and given the information we have, I'm still betting on a bunch of Joyboy's buddies suddenly popping into present times via Toki-Toki no mi, providing exposition, POV for flashbacks and explanation for different prophecies and time restrictions like Roger's crew arriving too soon.

electricmastro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Would be interesting to see how Yamato plays into this in light of such a revelation. lol

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I think he was intended to be oni, but will be "retconned" to buccaneer.

Mostly just because Oars and Oars Jr. I think were meant to foreshadow this. Oars was weirdly compatible with Luffys shadow, Moria chose out of all candidates Luffy for whatever reason for his pet project, Oars was an "Island puller" which sounds like a threat to whatever Imu/WG is planning on Redline, and Oars Jr. defining trait and only trait was a important giant straw hat.

But with Kuma and buccaneers introduced, that seems like a given.
The first pirate would fittingly be a buccaneer.

RaisinRisin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think he was intended to be oni, but will be "retconned" to buccaneer.

Mostly just because Oars and Oars Jr. I think were meant to foreshadow this. Oars was weirdly compatible with Luffys shadow, Moria chose out of all candidates Luffy for whatever reason for his pet project, Oars was an "Island puller" which sounds like a threat to whatever Imu/WG is planning on Redline, and Oars Jr. defining trait and only trait was a important giant straw hat.

But with Kuma and buccaneers introduced, that seems like a given.
The first pirate would fittingly be a buccaneer.
Since Buccaneers descend from giants, who probably descend from Oars' people, you'd all still be correct in a way if Nika and/or Joyboy is confirmed to have been a Buccaneer. (Personally, I'm still holding out to see what connection Joyboy has to Lunarians and currently I expect it to be Nika specifically who has some form of giant/buccaneer lineage, but whatever happens happens.)

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Since Buccaneers descend from giants, who probably descend from Oars' people, you'd all still be correct in a way if Nika and/or Joyboy is confirmed to have been a Buccaneer. (Personally, I'm still holding out to see what connection Joyboy has to Lunarians and currently I expect it to be Nika specifically who has some form of giant/buccaneer lineage, but whatever happens happens.)
Would you say clones like the Numbers play into this as well?

RaisinRisin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Would you say clones like the Numbers play into this as well?
Although I don't recall if it was stated they're straight up one-for-one clones (which would require each of them to be a direct replica of someone), they definitely seem to be based on ancient giants, so sure. The point of my post was to say all of these groups are probably related so there's little point to arguing over (ancient) giant vs. buccaneer as the impact on the story wouldn't change much (at least as things appear right now). If giant culture fed into buccaneer culture, then a sun god remains significant to them either way.

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although I don't recall if it was stated they're straight up one-for-one clones (which would require each of them to be a direct replica of someone), they definitely seem to be based on ancient giants, so sure. The point of my post was to say all of these groups are probably related so there's little point to arguing over (ancient) giant vs. buccaneer as the impact on the story wouldn't change much (at least as things appear right now). If giant culture fed into buccaneer culture, then a sun god remains significant to them either way.
If so, then that might be an additional reason why Oda didn’t delve into Kaido’s family more. He didn’t even bother elaborating on Kaido’s lover/Yamato’s mom, even though Kaido talked about Oni as if friendship and love can’t equate into a creature that’s meant to be feared and rule over others.

Last edited:

RaisinRisin

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If so, then that might be an additional reason why Oda didn’t delve into Kaido’s family more. He didn’t even bother elaborating on Kaido’s lover/Yamato’s mom, even though Kaido talked about Oni as of friendship and love can’t equate into a creature that’s meant to be feared and rule over others.
I don't see it becoming relevant until Yamato's character needs deepening. For now we have the pilgrimage cover story, which may touch on these things (but probably not). Fwiw I have no doubt Yamato's mother will be a regular human (who was probably very beautiful). Maybe she'll have been from Wano as well-- it would be interesting if she was among those who illegally left the country and (in some way or another) became part of the reason Kaidou eventually became so fixated on Wano (along with his devil fruit that was supposed to be a protector of Wano).

electricmastro

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see it becoming relevant until Yamato's character needs deepening. For now we have the pilgrimage cover story, which may touch on these things (but probably not). Fwiw I have no doubt Yamato's mother will be a regular human (who was probably very beautiful). Maybe she'll have been from Wano as well-- it would be interesting if she was among those who illegally left the country and (in some way or another) became part of the reason Kaidou eventually became so fixated on Wano (along with his devil fruit that was supposed to be a protector of Wano).
It would def out into what Kaido said about Oni not being friendly into more perspective if Joy Boy turned out to be an Oni, who made people smile.

Oda def has much room he can use in developing Yamato more like her past with her possibly Oni mom, after the MADS flashback in the Germa story. She’ll def be getting further attention assuming Blackbeard goes to Wano for Pluton too, which May happen while Luffy is at Elbaf.