Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 257 - Spoilers & Discussion | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Jujutsu Kaisen Chapter 257 - Spoilers & Discussion

lexx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Gods below you all miss the point or just don’t refute it. I’m not complaining about Yuji’s significant character developments. I’m criticizing the fact that major dramatic events are being presented in a manner which conveys absolutely no dramatic impact.

Imagine if “Luke, I am your father” was instead an uninspired flashback during the sword fight where Vader was casually chatting with some stormtrooper about how Luke might make a for a challenging fight because he’s secretly Vader’s son.

Or during Vader’s fight with Obi-Won, you see Obi absolutely dominate Vader, then cut away for five minutes, returning only to see Obi’s decapitated and all the viewers are just confused and let down.

It’s subpar storytelling and poor pacing.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yep, it seems Gege just got tired of not being able to show this part to us and...just used a flashback for it.

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I think there is misconceptions here. While Gege broadly follows Shonen principles, he certainly takes a lot of freedom with them and writes how he wants, which makes JJK fun. Gege doesn’t tend to waste time on unnecessary drama (i.e Yuji being related to Fraudkuna is no surprise really… considering how similar they seemed to be + Yuji serving as a perfect vessel for Fraudkuna)

Gege never painted Yuji as the prodigy child or the “hero”, at the same time, he never openly said Yuji won’t amount to shit. Kenjaku’s statement at the end of Shibuya is a clear evidence about how Yuji was bound to get his moment. Many people commented about Yuji’s talent, from Todo to Goatjo.

What JJK is missing atm is background about what happened during the Heian era, which would arguably explain Kenjaku’s shenanigans (although Gege made it clear that Kenjaku is a mad scientist who does things out of curiosity) and the extent of his relation with Fraudkuna. They are certainly not friends, but not clear to me whether Kenjaku gave birth to Yuji to neutralise Fraudkuna somehow.

I like how the story developed. Almost every week Gege does something that would surprise us/impress us. The fighting scenes are amazing with many epic moments and you can absolutely feel the tension. Even with Yuji awakening now, it still feels that the fight is far from over.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Gods below you all miss the point or just don’t refute it. I’m not complaining about Yuji’s significant character developments. I’m criticizing the fact that major dramatic events are being presented in a manner which conveys absolutely no dramatic impact.

Imagine if “Luke, I am your father” was instead an uninspired flashback during the sword fight where Vader was casually chatting with some stormtrooper about how Luke might make a for a challenging fight because he’s secretly Vader’s son.

Or during Vader’s fight with Obi-Won, you see Obi absolutely dominate Vader, then cut away for five minutes, returning only to see Obi’s decapitated and all the viewers are just confused and let down.

It’s subpar storytelling and poor pacing.
Yep, it seems Gege just got tired of not being able to show this part to us and...just used a flashback for it.
Okay, but Gege has always done this in the end, there's no point in complaining now.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also, how does it make sense that Yuji has cursed blood manipulation from eating death womb paintings four through nine? The only death womb painting to have that technique is Choso, the other two living/incarnated ones had different techniques. Also wouldn't it make sense that Yuji would develop ...five different techniques, possibly, from eating those five death womb paintings? Why just the one technique, and why THAT one?
They all know how to use the same technique, but in a different way. Choso also manages to replicate the techniques of his brothers.

Imaging if this were Game of Thrones, you were watching the red wedding, and everything looked like it was going to work out for Rob Stark, then literally next episode you find out "yeah, no, everyone died, Walder Frey betrayed them and killed them all" but it was all off-panel. No "Rains of Castermere" played by the band, no pregnancy belly getting repeatedly stabbed, NONE OF THE DRAMATIC MOMENT.
Again, it's Akutami's style. You may like it or not, but that's how it is.

And yet Gege is handling these reveals almost as non-sequiturs. Like "oh hey look Yuji just used piercing blood. I guess he can do that now?" And "oh hey look Yuji just ...used Sukuna's technique. In the middle of a chapter and not as a big cliffhanger. GUESS HE CAN DO THAT NOW.".

For fark sake, Yuta using Cleave on Sukuna had more dramatic impact than Yuji doing it.
That Itadori would sooner or later obtain the same technique as Sukuna is something that Gojo had prophesied since the first chapters.

//Gege, please, PLEASE, listen to your editors and hire an assistant writer, because your ability as a dramatic writer is abysmal. So much potential you're sleepwalking through.
WTF ?

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Okay, but Gege has always done this in the end, there's no point in complaining now.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

They all know how to use the same technique, but in a different way. Choso also manages to replicate the techniques of his brothers.

Again, it's Akutami's style. You may like it or not, but that's how it is.

That Itadori would sooner or later obtain the same technique as Sukuna is something that Gojo had prophesied since the first chapters.

WTF ?
Again I seem misunderstood. The characters are fun, the world building is.. ok…the villains (excepting Kenjaku) are decent and the overall plot is ok if a bit meandering. The pacing of laying out the plot on the page… yeah easily the weakest aspect here.

That’s what I’m saying. That all of these developments that are worthy of their own hype and moment of dramatic buildup and impact are just getting shoved in as flashback asides is… just poor storytelling.

I guess I’m just frustrated. I see how much unrealized potential JJK possesses, well at this point it’s more “possessed” and it saddens me.

just like The Boys. Just like every Star Wars after the first three. Just like the second arc of Chainsawman. Just like everything after Seasons 3/4 of Game of Thrones. Just like The Hobbit trilogy.

So much potential greatness wasted. Mostly because the title got so popular that the writers/directors stopped heeding the advice from their editors.

Last edited:

Uriel

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Not sure why this chapter was source of debate to be honest.
It was helluva fun.

Go Yuuji go!

PS: It's usually better to criticize an arc after it ends, so the bigger picture and the intent is more clear. Else you will definitely miss the theme.

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Also, shoutout to our man Ino. I love how Gege, despite many of these characters not being strong enough to stand against Fraudkuna 1vs1, made them contribute to the fight.

Battle Wolf

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Now i want Yuji to land a DOUBLE BLACK FLASH with both arms at same time... The potential of his CT is absurd, he's kicking fraudkuna ass 3 chapter in a roll now

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yuji's animated sewing cut lines are oddly cute.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy

Battle Wolf

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Why the mangaplus version is far inferior on quality compared to TCB for example?

Last edited:

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Yes, I know. I'm not complaining just now. I'm just posting it now, I kept quiet for the other times but I'm rather displeased with some stuff for a while. But no big deal indeed, I still enjoy JJK!

CK85

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I still think we have not seen Yuji's own CT. I still want to know what the effect that happened on Todo and Choso is with the false memories.

kingRoXaS

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I still think we have not seen Yuji's own CT. I still want to know what the effect that happened on Todo and Choso is with the false memories.
Gege said that memories was not because of a technique

Who knows what happened to Todo, he always got into a fantasy world with his idol too lol

Choso just got a feeling that he had when his brother's died. And It was confirmed they're connect by blood soon after

Just that

Yuji was born without a CT to fully contain Sukuna and then have Sukuna's CT into him

Epic_Rider

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
That’s what I’m saying. That all of these developments that are worthy of their own hype and moment of dramatic buildup and impact are just getting shoved in as flashback asides is… just poor storytelling.
All that stuff you're complaining about was foreshadowed ages ago, Gege doesn't need to hype it up again.

So much potential greatness wasted.
Gege never changed, he's the same writer as always. You just got your own ideas into your head about how he should handle stuff.

Battle Wolf

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And that corpse change technique that he did before Gojo x Sukuna?