Theory - Luffy's Dream | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Luffy's Dream

Agerdem

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Aland Islands
As a size, yes. But most of population lives
on islands. He just does not want to need swimming.

Maybe it was also foreshadowed as once luffy's shadow transplanted into Oars (the island puller)

Hannibal Psyche

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Saying that Oda can write whatever he wants is not a valid way to reject the claim that your theory is a non-creative and boring end goal for Roger and Luffy and that goes against what Oda has been building and teasing for 2 decades.
What you consider boring is irrelevant, Oda doesn't give a shit is the point.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

You just quoted the page where Roger said exactly what I had written in my post. "We will become the greatest pirate group and then I’ll be …" And not the "I will be known as" that you used for the sake of your argument as it implies that there would be nothing else to accomplish to reach his dream.
I'll be and Known as and I'll be... are pretty much the same thing, maybe ask someone who studies the English Language for clarification.
You are being pedantic and arguing semantics.

Roger also never said his dream if you read properly.
He only said what he will become.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

And finally, your theory is contradicted by the FACT that some SHs have just said that Luffy’s dream was impossible and all of them do believe that he will become the Pirate King.
This is where you fail to think at all.

2 dreams being the same doesn't mean they are equal.

Usain Bolt said he will be the fastest 200m sprinter in the world once.. and his record for 200m sprint is 19.69 seconds or something stupid.

If I said I will become the faster 200m sprinter in the world.... exactly the same statement as Bolt... it implies I aim to beat 19.69 seconds which is almost perceived as impossible.

So, just because Roger once said he will be the greatest pirate doesn't mean Luffy saying it means the goals are equal.

If what Roger did is pretty much impossible, surpassing the impossible which is likely Luffy's goal is more impossible. It seems you didn't use any critical thinking at all,

2 Statements can have completely different meanings depending on the era.

Luffy saying he will become the greatest pirate would pretty much be saying he will be greater than Roger which is probably not fathomable by most people.

His crew will also always believe in him, so there's no contradiction, that's a laughable argument.

Even achieveing what Roger did is deemed impossible by most, remember when Bellamy laughed at Luffy for wanting to find One Piece and Skypiea? People laughed at Kid too... so, just because his crew support him doesn't mean the goal isn't still deemed as impossible.
Please, read the manga, you're clearly clueless.

Being Pirate King is not what I speculated the crew said was impossible, surpassing Pirate King is what I said they probably think is impossible. Huge difference. Read bud.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I think the Japanese version is a bit more vague than "I will be..."

But Roger and Luffy secret dream is not just to be Pirate King

Luffy says he will be Pirate King it all the time, and his crewmates believe 100% he will be Pirate King. However they never heard his secret dream before, and called it impossible

And Road to Laugh Tale has very much confirmed the dream is a secret

I don't think you read my post properly or understood my point.

Roger literally said... "and then I'll be..."

What did Roger become at the end of jus journey? Pirate King,

I think the thing is you don't seem to understand Pirate King pretty much means being the Greatest Pirate in Roger's era.

Roger is currently the Greatest Pirate.

If you do something equal to Roger, you don't become the greatest Pirate, you just equalled his achievement being Pirate King.

In Luffy's era, becoming the greatest pirate would literally mean being greater than the Pirate King.

Luffy and Shanks were said to have said the same thing.

Luffy is saying he will become the greatest pirate too... and then Shanks gave him the hat, I doubt it is coincidence.

If I had to speculate what Luffy's dream specifically is... it's probably a step beyond Roger's dream. Roger wanted to be the freest, Luffy probably wants' to make the world free which would be a step greater than Roger's dream.

This story is after all about freedom.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Luffy's and roger's dream has caused both to be compared to children at times. A free world, when the context is it being controlled by a single tyrannical world government, does not fit with that.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

Luffy and Shanks were said to have said the same thing.

Luffy is saying he will become the greatest pirate too... and then Shanks gave him the hat, I doubt it is coincidence.

If I had to speculate what Luffy's dream specifically is... it's probably a step beyond Roger's dream. Roger wanted to be the freest, Luffy probably wants' to make the world free which would be a step greater than Roger's dream.

This story is after all about freedom.
Luffy said Shanks cried when he told him his dream

Meaning it was in a different occasion

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Luffy said Shanks cried when he told him his dream

Meaning it was in a different occasion

He said Shanks laughed. Laughed to the point of tears.
Also doesn't mean the panel where he gave Luffy the hat isn't relevant.
Different occasion doesn't mean anything, the same idea can be had in multiple occasions.

Like I said, I'm speculating.
Never said I know what the dream is which some people cannot quite grasp.

All we know is:
  1. Roger said the same thing and had the same goal.
  2. The goal is apparently impossible to most people, thus why people laugh.
  3. It can happen only after one becomes Pirate King which Roger probably never got to do after he became Pirate King.
  4. It's a childish idea.

Whatever it is Luffy wants to achieve.,.. will inherently make him the greatest pirate... why that is controversial is hilarious.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Luffy's and roger's dream has caused both to be compared to children at times. A free world, when the context is it being controlled by a single tyrannical world government, does not fit with that.
The dream has to be somewhat related to freedom... that's what this story is fundamentally about,

If anything, the fact the main antagonist is a tyrannical WG would actually suggest whatever it is Luffy's going for must be antithetical to a dictatorship.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
The dream has to be somewhat related to freedom... that's what this story is fundamentally about,

If anything, the fact the main antagonist is a tyrannical WG would actually suggest whatever it is Luffy's going for must be antithetical to a dictatorship.
Hmmm, probably? But it also has to be something silly, childish and absurd. To justify the reaction we have seen across multiple crews to this dream. Big ideals don't suit luffy and he doesn't usually stand for those.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Hmmm, probably? But it also has to be something silly, childish and absurd. To justify the reaction we have seen across multiple crews to this dream. Big ideals don't suit luffy and he doesn't usually stand for those.
Could easily be something like "I want to make the whole world laugh", such an idea is childish, and at the same time is an idea that would require a world where everyone is free.
Roger named an Island "Laugh" basically, Laughtale. that is also a pretty childish name. I would think Luffy's dream is intertwined with these ideas.
Can't say for sure what it is, but Luffy said it back in chapter 585 in the flashback. Hard to say what it specifically is.

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
France
The official dreams of Luffy and Roger’s are to become the greatest pirates (a pretty common dream in the Grand Line) and they both have a core end-game dream from their childhood that is absolutely insane and that no one else except these 2 had during the pirate era. This core dream explains the reactions of WB, Oden, Ace, Sabo, Yamato and the SHs. It is something so incredible that it is say to be impossible and also very childish at the same time.

Luffy’s dream is probably something that Oda plans to do to close the One Piece manga. So far the most serious theory is the world wide party
  • It is impossible
  • It is childish
  • You need a big influence (greatest pirate) for your (tea) party to be advertised and considered by the peoples
  • It fits Luffy’s personality
  • It is the best way to close the manga
For all we know, Joy Boy may have had the exact same dream than Luffy and Roger, and that is why he planned to blow up the Red Line so that everyone could come to attend its (birthday) party. And that is why the Roger Pirates laughed about this incredible story.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
For all we know, Joy Boy may have had the exact same dream than Luffy and Roger, and that is why he planned to blow up the Red Line
This is made up and head cannon, where is it stated that destroying the Red Line is anyone's goal??

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
The official dreams of Luffy and Roger’s are to become the greatest pirates (a pretty common dream in the Grand Line) and they both have a core end-game dream from their childhood that is absolutely insane and that no one else except these 2 had during the pirate era. This core dream explains the reactions of WB, Oden, Ace, Sabo, Yamato and the SHs. It is something so incredible that it is say to be impossible and also very childish at the same time.

Luffy’s dream is probably something that Oda plans to do to close the One Piece manga. So far the most serious theory is the world wide party
  • It is impossible
  • It is childish
  • You need a big influence (greatest pirate) for your (tea) party to be advertised and considered by the peoples
  • It fits Luffy’s personality
  • It is the best way to close the manga
For all we know, Joy Boy may have had the exact same dream than Luffy and Roger, and that is why he planned to blow up the Red Line so that everyone could come to attend its (birthday) party. And that is why the Roger Pirates laughed about this incredible story.
Destroying the Red Line? Why nobody asked if the mass genocide and bloodbath wouldn't ruin the mood of the party?

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
France
Destroying the Red Line? Why nobody asked if the mass genocide and bloodbath wouldn't ruin the mood of the party?
Toc toc. Who is here? These are the 20 Kingdoms.

Lunarians and Fishmen were both waiting for Joy Boy and they were probably meant to be relocated elsewhere (confirmed for Fishmen). I don’t think the whole Red Line will be destroyed anyway. In any case, Lunarians were exterminated because their kingdom was where the WG established itself.

Merlin918

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe this is a great theory and holds weight if I'm interpreting it correctly in believing that it is about what i think it is about. Luffy's goal isn't to be remembered forever for certain. He once said that if you die all you leave behind is bones. I don't think the true history holds much interest to him either. I think that instead, Luffy wants to gain an immortal body and live forever through his own abilities alone, by using his Rubber Rubber Fruit to make his body completely made of rubber and so malleable that he can create new rubber in it and change it to any extent he wants so that he lives forever and never dies unless he is killed. However, I think that this is in addition to Luffy's belief in his own spiritual immortality, which makes Luffy's dream a culmination of his way of living rather than an escape from death which Blackbeard in contrast thinks is the core his existence circulates around. The philosophical difference between his immortality search and Blackbeard's is that he refuses to give up on being on who he wants to be and would consider that the death of his soul, while Blackbeard thinks the ends justify the means. I see no reason why Luffy won't be able to achieve his dream before the end of One Piece. This would make Luffy the freest man in the sea because he never has to die or accept any limits. I think he will also learn flight from the Minks some day in the future and that Luffy, being based on Sun Wukong, has the same ambitions as him, to become immortal and defy anybody who would set limits on him.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
That Red Line theory is pretty much trash. A lot of that old theory makes no sense and has been debunked by anyone who knows a thing or 2 about One Piece.
The irony of destroying the land above Fishman Island which is where most Fishmen want to live.
The Fishmen children were going to Sabaody and wished they could live there.
Great idea destroying the place these Fishmen would like to explore, sounds very joyous indeed.
Destroying the Red Line is absolutely Joyboy's goal. :super

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
That Red Line theory is pretty much trash. A lot of that old theory makes no sense and has been debunked by anyone who knows a thing or 2 about One Piece.
The irony of destroying the land above Fishman Island which is where most Fishmen want to live.
The Fishmen children were going to Sabaody and wished they could live there.
Great idea destroying the place these Fishmen would like to explore, sounds very joyous indeed.
Destroying the Red Line is absolutely Joyboy's goal. :super
Holup

How is Sabaody related? The land above the Red Line is unreachable to most Fish-man, wouldn't an explosion possibly make it more accessible?

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
the red line as far as we have been told from a variety of sources is both indestructible and uninhabited outside of majiroa. thats part of the reason why lunarians formerly living there is a big deal. going a bit further, if lunarian physiology is an evolutionary adaptation to the red lines environment outside majiroa then that tells us a bit of what the place might be like...

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Holup

How is Sabaody related? The land above the Red Line is unreachable to most Fish-man, wouldn't an explosion possibly make it more accessible?
Sabaody is beside the Red Line. Wouldn't destroying a mountain that enormous not also end up destroying Sabaody? Lots of rocks would fall from there.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Sabaody is beside the Red Line. Wouldn't destroying a mountain that enormous not also end up destroying Sabaody? Lots of rocks would fall from there.
Wouldn't it depend on how close it is? I assume if you can't even see it, it's too far way

It took 1 day to travel to the Red Line... but supposedly a boat can travel 100 miles in a day, so...

Last edited:

loopoo

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
American Samoa
Make everyone in the world dream of becoming a pirate(free).

1.Roger did it when he spoke about the one piece.
2.For Luffy being a pirate mean freedom. He is warrior of liberation.
3. For Gov it means death, so this idea was deleted 800 years ago.
4."Let's turn the world upside down." Young Roger words.

Maybe not this, but it should be something simple and childish that will turn the world upside down.

Last edited: