News - Manga-Anime Guardians Launched To Thwart Piracy | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

News Manga-Anime Guardians Launched To Thwart Piracy

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
New site from a coalition of publishing companies of manga and anime launched with support from western english backers (Viz, Kodansha, Crunchyroll, Hulu) to educate and raise awareness of legal alternatives to piracy.

Message | SITE LINK
Regrettably, according to a report of Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) of Japan, a huge number of Manga and Anime fans, over 50% of them in U.S. and 12% in Japan, are watching or reading pirated works.

The estimated cost of damage from online piracy is as much as JPY 2 trillion (approximately US$ 20 billion).

Beside, a report of Agency for Cultural Affairs of Japan indicates that in major cities of China (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Chongqing) the damage cost to Japanese contents is JPY 560 billion (approximately US$ 5.6 billion) per year.

In the ranking by an information distribution survey site, for example, a popular piracy site is ranked 156th in Japan and 1391th in the world, which is similar rank with major listed companies on a stock firm in Japan.

Another example of showing you the serious situation of piracy is the number of illegal downloads of a popular Manga series from the piracy site: 41,363DLs for volume 67, 39,623DLs for volume 68, and 31,924DLs for volume 69.

Piracy offending in Anime has been also serious. Pirated video of a popular feature-length Anime has over 12 million views on a well-known video hosting site, which should have brought in a lot of illicit profits to the “pirate” from advertisement space.

Up until a decade ago, some “pirates” used to illegally upload the latest Manga/Anime just because they wanted to get attention online. Others loved Manga and Anime so much that they translated scripts and captioned on the screen for their own satisfaction. But, it is not like that anymore; now it is all about money in most cases.

In these days, “pirates” are getting advertisement revenue, kick-bucks from cyberlockers, affiliations with E-commerce sites, or selling Apps. They are exploiting Manga and Anime just for the sake of money.

Manga publishers and Anime companies had worked hard to deal with piracy on their own, but they were getting nowhere. They deleted illegally uploaded works one after another, but “pirates” keep re-uploading works, and setting up new piracy sites…

Now is the time when everyone gets together to overcome this difficulty.
That is the reason why the Manga-Anime Guardians Project was born. This project is designed to thank “You,” who love Manga/Anime and are willing to show respect to people who are making the wonderful world of Manga/Anime.
Act now for the “bright future of Manga-Anime !”

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep on stop piracy.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
How nostalgic. I'm sure they'll finally stop interweb piracy this time. Glad to see the entertainment industry is still tilting at windmills.

Reactions: z.5

Stark700

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Nice, didn't know about some of those titles they have on there.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The campaign is to make the fans aware, but people who know pirate sources already know the original source. It's complicated.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
The campaign is to make the fans aware, but people who know pirate sources already know the original source. It's complicated.
You'd think so, but it's really depressing how many people think Manga Editors actually write the series themselves.

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
New site from a coalition of publishing companies of manga and anime launched with support from western english backers (Viz, Kodansha, Crunchyroll, Hulu) to educate and raise awareness of legal alternatives to piracy.

Message | SITE LINK
Is that the site? They want to stop piracy with this? Lol. All they're doing is linking to already existing offers by Crunchyroll or Viz in English {which only concerns a few English speaking countries leaving out countries like France, Spain, Germany etc} and in Japanese this only offers the preview of the latest/last volume of the series of a few pages...
In and out of itself the idea is good but seriously lacking. Something like Crunchyroll does with the latest chapter available for free but having to pay for past volumes would have been a lot better.

conankudo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
You'd think so, but it's really depressing how many people think Manga Editors actually write the series themselves.
I really hope they will at least put a stop to the right people and shut down the profit driven aggregator sites like mangareader/mangapanda, mangafox etc. and the profit driven Edited Manga groups like mangastream.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Didnt realize some of those sites were pulling in that many, especially MS with how little offerings they are.

I thought the filehost page was interesting, though content providers already routinely screen those.

conankudo

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Didnt realize some of those sites were pulling in that many, especially MS with how little offerings they are.

I thought the filehost page was interesting, though content providers already routinely screen those.
The people of MS are real criminals given their history of hostile takeovers of other Edited Manga groups.
Look at their estimated traffic net worth.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
How do you pull a hostile take over of other Edited Manga groups? I know they are not saints but that sounds kinda weird.

Anyways, I doubt they will be succesful here. There is money to be made so shutting down sites will simply result in them being replaced with others. It is a shame, but not in the least surprising, that every single online manga reader I use is in the list there.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
How do you pull a hostile take over of other Edited Manga groups? I know they are not saints but that sounds kinda weird.

Anyways, I doubt they will be succesful here. There is money to be made so shutting down sites will simply result in them being replaced with others. It is a shame, but not in the least surprising, that every single online manga reader I use is in the list there.
I'm pretty sure that was just hyperbole, since I know a bunch of MS members personally and have no idea what he's talking about.

llazy77

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2014] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 6

This month the the Japanese government is shutting down manga illegal manga sites seems like early Edited Manga for jump is going to stop and viz shonen jump website is going to be the only option now.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm highly skeptical of this. We've seen this kind of thing before. We'll probably see it again after this fails, and it will. In the long run the effect will be absolutely zero.

Most sites they manage to shut down will show up with a slightly different name in like a month and there is nothing they can do about it. And more than a few they probably can't shut down at all because they are based in countries over which Japan has absolutely no influence or authority (DCMA's issued to a site based outside the United States are virtually pointless). And the whole thing is going to be so far down Interpol's priority list that the first meeting on it would be probably scheduled for like 200 years from now... at the bottom of the ocean.

-------------------------

The reality is that, the industry needs to adapt to the reality not try and force it to be what they wish it was. Offering more add supported content. Offering people the chance to pay reasonable fees for better quality or easy of access. Those are the only things that have effects.

Enforcement of internet piracy is like punching a river. All your doing is wearing yourself out while it flows right around you.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

This month the the Japanese government is shutting down manga illegal manga sites seems like early Edited Manga for jump is going to stop and viz shonen jump website is going to be the only option now.
Unfortunately we live in world filled with people operating under varying levels of morality in terms of their views on illicit access and distribution of manga. Citing concerns of justifying its practice being legal due to the content not being in their country, or being of low/no income status and thus they are entitled to reading the manga due to the inability to actually purchase it, it is highly unlikely that the JPN gov't would be enough to stop or alter their view and force them to change their ways. In fact most people laughed at this announcement. So far I think your post is the first to have a panic attack. Regardless, the announcement seems to really only concern the access of the content creators works on aggregate cites and since most groups, I imagine, actually have their own hub base of operations that is most or highly likely not generating enough returns to rival that of having a relatively modest salaried jobs income, then I doubt they really have much of any concern with the announcement.

In terms of Shueisha and Viz, based on the groups working on their manga, outside of the long running runs (which would really only stop if somehow early leaks were prevented...), I cant imagine any of the groups would really be targets and victims of the JPN gov't assault.

Really only concern has to be if the announcement were proclaiming and supranational coalition forcing ISP's to blacklist cites and filesharing hosts scanning and preventing the uploading and sharing of content, itd probably make it harder and more time consuming for casuals to really look for manga.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

lol they try this every few years and it never works. Never, ever, ever, ever. Nothing will shut down, nothing will change, nothing is going to happen. It will be no different than the JManga fiasco, or that time Funi sent out C&D's to fansubbers on behalf of the copyright holders, or the countless other times they've tried to stop Edited Mangas and fansubs. Cause the internet really works like that. If you want to believe the sky is falling this time, enjoy yourself. I'm sure this time it's really different and that they really will be able to shut down off shore sites they have no legal jurisdiction over.

This new site is derpiest yet, only linking to VIZ, CR, and other pay sites. Good luck mango industries :super

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

BTW: I don't read that much manga and am a Crunchyroll subscriber. None of this really effects me. Not that it will effect anyone. It's obviously doomed to fail.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Stop early Edited Manga is nearly impossible because it would have to change the way the publishers there in Japan distribute their magazines. The magazine must arrive in the stores before its release date, there is no way to change that. That said and given the fact that they want to shut down sites that were based in countries they don't any power... It tends to be a failure again.
Improve their services around the world would be better than try to stop Edited Mangas. USA is almost a heaven for me, here we don't have 1/4 of releases USA has and no ways to read it digitally besides Crunchyroll, which is in English and narrow the amount of people who can use it.

It is not just a problem in USA, it is a worldwide problem that they are dealing wrongly.
As an example, thepiratebay was aimed by the entire entertainment industry more than once and it is still alive. Only one site, even more a bunch of them.

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
From what I recall the only real result of the last time they attempted this (RIP onemanga) was that a lot of Edited Manga groups disappeared. Not sure if that was because of the attempt at the time. Still, that only means that for the groups that remain Editing manga is even more profitable. I don't think there has been a reduction in this sort of web traffic at all. And there won't be one as long as it remains profitable. The most they could do is enforce controls where said control is viable but that only means they will host the mangas in places where they won't look into that. With the magic of the internet they same people could do scans in one country and simply host them in another.