News - Red Hawk Edited Mangas Recieves DMCA notice | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

News Red Hawk Edited Mangas Recieves DMCA notice

TemplateR

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Teeba

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Like Kaiten aptly said in the Mangastream thread, just because they got a cease and desist doesn't mean no one is going to translate/scanlate them. Most probably they will either release it directly to baoto.net, or through other methods. Again, this is Viz purely doing business, and Bakuman is very popular.

On the positive side, maybe this means Beelzebub will get licensed. >_>

TemplateR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
They haven´t dropped to scanlated "Bakuman" and "Beelzebub".
They just don´t want to upload these 2 Series on ther "Red Hawk Reader".

So don´t worry again, that Red Hawk Edited Manga is dropping "Bakuman" and "Beelzebub"

Jaymie

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Manga Editors aren't the problem, and Viz knows that. The problem is sites where you can easily read manga. People usually turn to aggregator sites because they're the most convenient way to read manga, but if Viz gets rid of them, Viz Manga and Shonen Jump Alpha will end up being the most convenient way to read manga. People don't mind paying a small fee every month if it's convenient for them, even if pirated versions are a torrent away.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow. Gotta hand it to Viz....like 'em or leave 'em, they're on a vendetta. Though does this mean a Beelze license is in the air? Or are they just acting in interest of Shuiesha? Though I wouldn't want them to get Beelze since there's a good chance it'll get dropped at volume 23.....(If it doesn't end by then.) Or volumes 8, 9, 14 and 19 will be unavailble after I actually decide I want to buy them. *sigh* Nice to see that Red hawk isn't going to drop it, cause I like their translations of the series when I do occasionally read them.

Last edited:

hao-sama

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
magico wasn't mentioned so Beelzebub will probably get licensed some time in the future.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
magico wasn't mentioned so Beelzebub will probably get licensed some time in the future.
Makes sense with the anime being streamed by CR. I guess it got to a threshold where Viz feels like it wouldn't be a waste to license it. Not that they have the most...stellar record by any means. Still this is a good sign for those who wanted it to happen.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
This is reason number 500 that groups should go back to exclusively posting to IRC and bittorrent. Edited Mangas should go back to the netherworld.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is reason number 500 that groups should go back to exclusively posting to IRC and bittorrent. Edited Mangas should go back to the netherworld.
Wait, what? Do you mean posting scantlations on IRC or torrent? Cause the latter part of your post seems to indicate that you'd like scantlations to die, which sorta contridicts the first part of your statement.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Not die, but go back to being the shadowy little subculture it was before Onemanga, Mangafox, and the like appeared. No more ddl, online readers, and phone app's.

I'd be completely screwed without Edited Mangas, to many of the manga I read will never get licensed.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not die, but go back to being the shadowy little subculture it was before Onemanga, Mangafox, and the like appeared. No more ddl, online readers, and phone app's.

I'd be completely screwed without Edited Mangas, to many of the manga I read will never get licensed.
Ahh. Okay. Yeah I was about to say, since a lot of the stuff I translate will never get licensed. (In fact I pretty much choose projects based on that.) Whoa, there are scan groups with phone apps? Or are those the official sort? I'm pretty much a brick and mortar, physical ownage sort of person so I really don't know anything about new fangled apps and whatnot. IRC is still mostly a mystery to me too.

Though yeah I think things were much better when the real men released in the shadows. What Viz is fighting is a war on convienence.

SQm3

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I did read that they weren't dropped it's just that I liked reading them in their reader. Oh and it's Shueisha NOT Viz that sent the DMCA notice.

Suzaku

Reaction score
Country
United States
SQm3: Well, VIZ is owned by Shueisha anyway.

And it seems like they're only targetting websites with online readers, which makes sense.

VIZ didn't have much of an issue with Manga Editors when you had to jump on IRC and download .zip files from the Manga Editor's fserve.

kdowns

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
SQm3: Well, VIZ is owned by Shueisha anyway.

And it seems like they're only targetting websites with online readers, which makes sense.

VIZ didn't have much of an issue with Manga Editors when you had to jump on IRC and download .zip files from the Manga Editor's fserve.
Viz Media owns Shueisha...

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Shueisha co-owns VIZ, they are junior partner though. Shogakukan founded VIZ, Shueisha became a partner in 2002 or so. The promotional work they wanted done for Shounen Jump (including the magazine) was so expensive it made more sense to sell them half the company. While they are equal partners, Shogakukan is the more dominant of the two. The CEO of Shogakukan and President of VIZ are apparently friends from college. Because Weekly Jump is so popular it is easy to forget that Shogakukan is a larger publisher than Shueisha. Kodansha is the largest Japanese publisher at the moment, Shogakukan is a close second.

SQm3

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Shueisha co-owns VIZ, they are junior partner though. Shogakukan founded VIZ, Shueisha became a partner in 2002 or so. The promotional work they wanted done for Shounen Jump (including the magazine) was so expensive it made more sense to sell them half the company. While they are equal partners, Shogakukan is the more dominant of the two. The CEO of Shogakukan and President of VIZ are apparently friends from college. Because Weekly Jump is so popular it is easy to forget that Shogakukan is a larger publisher than Shueisha. Kodansha is the largest Japanese publisher at the moment, Shogakukan is a close second.
Well that's something new I just learned. I thought Viz was just an independent American based publisher.

Teeba

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Wow. Gotta hand it to Viz....like 'em or leave 'em, they're on a vendetta. Though does this mean a Beelze license is in the air? Or are they just acting in interest of Shuiesha? Though I wouldn't want them to get Beelze since there's a good chance it'll get dropped at volume 23.....(If it doesn't end by then.) Or volumes 8, 9, 14 and 19 will be unavailble after I actually decide I want to buy them. *sigh* Nice to see that Red hawk isn't going to drop it, cause I like their translations of the series when I do occasionally read them.
You follow Beelzebub's translations? :O

I really do wonder about Beelzebub getting licensed. And as for Viz cancelling Gintama...its just plain unfortunate. Their translations were actually good, too! I'm not sure how much localization went on, but it was great while it lasted.

Then again, I wonder how well comedy manga sell in the U.S. anyway. Its like they expect it to be an unfunny TV sitcom, perfect for American audiences right out of the bat. Maybe if they market it like Teen Mom, it'll sell?

As for Edited Mangas, I can't help but agree with Kaiten. I could live without online manga readers. Though I wonder if IRC channels are immune from Cease&Desist threats.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
You follow Beelzebub's translations? :O

I really do wonder about Beelzebub getting licensed. And as for Viz cancelling Gintama...its just plain unfortunate. Their translations were actually good, too! I'm not sure how much localization went on, but it was great while it lasted.

Then again, I wonder how well comedy manga sell in the U.S. anyway. Its like they expect it to be an unfunny TV sitcom, perfect for American audiences right out of the bat. Maybe if they market it like Teen Mom, it'll sell?

As for Edited Mangas, I can't help but agree with Kaiten. I could live without online manga readers. Though I wonder if IRC channels are immune from Cease&Desist threats.
I do follow Beelze's translations....shadow skill does a nice job of localizing them to maximize comedic value. Or in laymans terms, he makes them funnier. I actually prefer when a translator manages to stay true to the script but put a bit of himself (or herself) in the script. I don't have anything against straight translations with no additions or subtractions, but I prefer localization.

Yeah, I mean online readers are great for testing out whether something is good or bad, but they've become far too commonplace. I've said it many times now, but Viz is fighting a war on convinence. They know they'd never win if they took on scantlation as a whole, but if they can set fire to a few of the sites offering their biggest products they can at least recoup the effort it took to launch SJA. Not that....I'll be using it.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
They're both still part of the Hitotsubashi Group (along with Shodensha and Hakusensha), and Shueisha was founded by Shogakukan. So while they operate mostly independently, they still have interlocking business relationships and shareholders. This only makes them both owning Viz more obvious.