Saeki vs Shiraishi | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Saeki vs Shiraishi

Who wins?

• Saeki

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Shiraishi

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Holycow
Waterlinkedgirl
[TD="auto;vertical-align: middle;border-width: 0px;"] [/TD]

Rules
  • You are allowed to vote for one character.
  • Voting ends after 4 days.
  • The winner receives 3 additional votes. In case of a tie, no additional votes are awarded.

Holycow

Saeki's Sandcastle Building Buddy
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
This may be useless (but it fits). Saeki is once again the more muda, more funloving and more nice guy. It simply can't be helped that he's useless, but at least he's not as useless off the court.

Waterlinkedgirl

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Shiraishi knows over 200 poisonous plants, and he has no subject he's bad at. As one of his hobbies is chess, you can expect him to think strategically and plan ahead. In dates too, lol. Besides, Shiraishi takes care in keeping his body healthy. Clearly Shiraishi is also mudaly beautiful. Also he can help you with your homework, as he's patient and most likely a fair explainer.
In the girls be gracious game, Shiraishi gave you time to sort out your feelings. And besides, he sort of adopted Kirihara in NPoT. He's part of the Health committee, too!
Sure, Shiraishi might be bad at comedy, but Shitenhoji hella knows how to have fun. You can come to Shiraishi for both an evening of karaoke or the likes, as a slow night together.
An uselessless romance... with less sand :v

Holycow

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Shiraishi knows over 200 poisonous plants, and he has no subject he's bad at.
He may not be bad at academic subjects, he still fails at Shitenhouji's entire curricula which is pretty much comedy. One would think that a guy enrolled into a comedy school would know better.
Sae's only bad subject is math. He excels in social studies (history, geography, linguistics, humanities...etc...), languages and even participates in theatrics, which is already a very broad branch to excel in. That's already very charming.
As one of his hobbies is chess, you can expect him to think strategically and plan ahead. In dates too, lol. Besides, Shiraishi takes care in keeping his body healthy. Clearly Shiraishi is also mudaly beautiful. Also he can help you with your homework, as he's patient and most likely a fair explainer.
Saeki eats urchins and beans to aid his looks and his eyesight as well. His way of letting his emotions loose without hurting others is by building sandcastles. He is also a boy that takes care of himself.
Saeki taught mc-chan tennis in gakupuri, and if that indicates anything, it would be that Saeki is a patient, good natured guy that does his best to help you in any way and encourages you to do things you might not like, but will never force you.
In the girls be gracious game, Shiraishi gave you time to sort out your feelings. And besides, he sort of adopted Kirihara in NPoT.
I'm pretty sure that the only dudes that weren't patient were Akutsu for obvious reasons and those that were momentarily too dumb to realize that XX chromosomes were talking to them.
He adopted Kirihara because Yanagi asked him to.
Saeki has to deal daily with elementary schoolers, heck, he even makes time to coach them properly together with the other rokkus and Ojii. And this is very extracurricular as well.
Sure, Shiraishi might be bad at comedy, but Shitenhoji hella knows how to have fun. You can come to Shiraishi for both an evening of karaoke or the likes, as a slow night together.
If I go on a date, I'd rather go alone with my dude. Of course, friendly outings with the whole team is amazing, but it wouldn't quite constitute as a real date. I don't need a guy that relies on his teammates to organize the dates, or to constitute what is fun.
I'd rather have someone who is true to himself, like Saeki.
An uselessless romance... with less sand :v
It's not because one guy is useless (which he really isn't, not even in tennis) that an entire relation is useless. Does a relation with Shiraishi suddenly mean you have a biblical relationship?
Besides, if you know how to maintain personal hygiëne, sand isn't really that much of an effort to wash off. Heck, I bet it's easier than three years worth of fungus on your forearm.

Last edited:

Waterlinkedgirl

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
He'd probably have any "bad at" subject if he didn't manage, though. It greatly depends on how you view Shitenhoji. I prefer to think a bit more realistically and view Shitenhoji as a school closely knitting comedy and academics together, keeping homework and standard essays (he's mentioned as writing an aiueo essay, and gakupuri has him making hw in the vacation), instead of pure comedy without content. I understand that the official tribute manga deviates (for comedic purposes).

Shiraishi is the same, as I lined out earlier.

Compared to the other routes and the general narrative, I found Shiraishi to be gentler. I understand this is just personal preference, but it really took me aback.
Yanagi asked him to, sure, but he could have refused or done only the necessary. Instead he showed personal investment by taking Kirihara's hit, and asking for his hairdresser. Plus, there's a reason Yanagi approached Shiraishi.

I was just thinking about how Shitenhoji in overall likes to have fun, Shiraishi being no exception. I'm not insinuating Shiraishi needs Shiten to constitute what is fun and what isn't, he's perfectly able to distinguish that himself. He wouldn't leave organising his dates to his teammates, you know. He's structural and would definitely plan his dates himself, putting in lots of effort.
Besides, I think he'd prefer a date with the two of you vastly over one with Shitenhoji there, as one on one is much more quality of a time-spending than with a team.
Besides... Rokkaku is a very close group as well. I can imagine Saeki inviting you with his thousand mile stare to Rokkaku's thousandth beach party :v again :v

That last statement about sand was meant as a joke :v
And face it, there's a reason Saeki wasn't invited to U-17
I can assure you Shiraishi will invest a lot in his relationship with you, though. This idiot falls hard.
I'm sure that Shiraishi properly washes his arm, geez :v
Besides... hair damage because cow hair :v

Holycow

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
He'd probably have any "bad at" subject if he didn't manage, though. It greatly depends on how you view Shitenhoji. I prefer to think a bit more realistically and view Shitenhoji as a school closely knitting comedy and academics together, keeping homework and standard essays (he's mentioned as writing an aiueo essay, and gakupuri has him making hw in the vacation), instead of pure comedy without content. I understand that the official tribute manga deviates (for comedic purposes).
The way I see it, Shitenhouji puts academics first, comedy second.
Rokkaku places academics first, then teamwork, but that doesn't mean that it would be a smart choice for smart loners.
Hence why Shiraishi, choosing a school like Shitenhouji is not a good decision, despite it not being entirely about comedy.

Besides, it's okay if he has no bad subjects. Jack of all trades but better than master of one right?
Except Saeki has a much wider branch of subjects he excells in. Shiraishi is just average, which is quite ironic considering his opponent is considered the blandest man.

Compared to the other routes and the general narrative, I found Shiraishi to be gentler. I understand this is just personal preference, but it really took me aback.
Yanagi asked him to, sure, but he could have refused or done only the necessary. Instead he showed personal investment by taking Kirihara's hit, and asking for his hairdresser. Plus, there's a reason Yanagi approached Shiraishi.
Not to pull an ad hominem, but I doubt you played all the dokisaba/gakupuri routes and remember them perfectly. I didn't either, but it's not an argument.
I can even say Ken was the most gentle one? That argument is very subjective.

Shiraishi simply has bad taste. Yanagi approached Shiraishi cause...I mean look at your other options. He was clearly targeting a non Rikkai, a third year that could be authorative over him without being pushy or overbearing in fear of triggering his temper tantrums. Does this make Shiraishi a good babysitter? Well, I guess so if your attempts at being a dad is threathening to poison your children (for FUNSIES). Too bad I don't want kids.

I was just thinking about how Shitenhoji in overall likes to have fun, Shiraishi being no exception. I'm not insinuating Shiraishi needs Shiten to constitute what is fun and what isn't, he's perfectly able to distinguish that himself.
"Sure, Shiraishi might be bad at comedy, but Shitenhoji hella knows how to have fun. "
The way you phrase it makes it seem like "Oh even though shiraishi is bad at it, his team makes up for it."
I understand the sentiment though.

Besides, I think he'd prefer a date with the two of you vastly over one with Shitenhoji there, as one on one is much more quality of a time-spending than with a team.
Besides... Rokkaku is a very close group as well. I can imagine Saeki inviting you with his thousand mile stare to Rokkaku's thousandth beach party :v again :v
I prefer shaved ice, roasted corn, roasted fish/shellfish, barbecue, miso soup, miso soup with alcohol (Icchan you rock), coffee and cute microwaves much more than a shitty outdoor nagashi soumen restaurant where you have to share one plate with the entire team. At least at Rokkaku's beach outings, one can ensure that you can go home with a full stomach.
Besides, not like it was memorable, Saeki's first and second date in gakupuri was with you alone. As was his ending in dokisaba. Rokkaku is a family, but a nice functioning family that is able to be emotionally independent of each other.

That last statement about sand was meant as a joke :v
Do not fear, the entire husbando wars is a (good) joke, but that doesn't mean one can't call it out.

And face it, there's a reason Saeki wasn't invited to U-17
"Waterlinkedgirl-Today at 22:16
it was a response to 'not useless in tennis'"
^keepin that
For the sake of Saeki alone, I won't bring up the fact that Chiba has consistently gone to the nationals, and is actually a powerhouse team.

Saeki's regional pre-Seigaku match history is not bad to say the least. Konomi has a tendency to powercreep characters, but hey, remember! This is about Saeki himself being useless!!
Wow...man look at that loss record (And no, I can't get more match records cause unfortunately, Rokkaku does not have the privilege of having 20 data segments dedicated to them) . Truely, the worst player to have existed. How fortunate that Ken was the designated captain. Ojii would never have gotten it in his mind to choose Sae of all people, right?

But...He did lose right? A lot.
Okay, let's sum up who he lost against.
Fuji-Kikumaru, the tensai/acrobatic pair. Let's conveniently forget that they put Saeki in doubles as a direct counter to Kikumaru, and that Saeki has no official doubles experience. Icchan has doubles experience though! With Kentarou....an agressive baseliner and with Shudo, who has a cross shot, which is incidentally a baseline move. Saeki is a Serve and Volleyer. Woops.
Tachibana, the renown captain of Fudomine, who managed to even beat Fuji, is a member of the legendary Kyushu pair and...blabla... Tachibana is just awesome, it was only natural, but even then, Tachibana complimented Saeki.
Yuuta. He lost. On purpose. He cared too much right...Should have just tried to mess more with Yuuta's head by making him distrust Mizuki, or make him play until his arm died and Sae finally could taste that sweet victory.
Kai. After the magical shuchuhiko was revealed, Saeki sure managed to spin up a nice strategy. Too bad that his coach died. And that his team left him. And that Seigaku was pity cheering him. BUT REAL TENNIS PLAYERS POWER THROUGH THAT- (oh but we're only talking about Saeki's skills right) But he was the only one who managed to actually score points against Higa, via a strategy that shows tennis is just a teensy bit more than hitting the ball and staring at people.

(btw let's not pretend that U17 was pretty much the guys who got the most drama + easiest to write out personalities)

Besides... hair damage because cow hair :v
It's real until proven otherwise. Even Saeki's canon hair color is more beige and natural than Shiraishi's grey.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Inoue (I): Mamoru Inoue here. We're halfway through this tournament, there's some really strong competition out there! Today, I have the pleasure of having Sanada Genichirou, Tezuka Kunimitsu and the one and only Echizen Nanjirou as my guests. Good evening gentlemen, I must admit I was surprised none of you took part in this competition.
Tezuka (T): I let my guard down.
Sanada (S): Clearly the people nominating have a poor form in their taste, TARUNDORU. I'll still support Yukimura from the sidelines, although he surely is doing great and needs no help as usual.
I: Actually he is almost in the last pla... Nevermind, what about you, Mr. Echizen?
Nanjirou (N): Meh, unlike these kids, I CHOSE not to participate. It would had been unfair for the rest, honestly.
I: I see. Well, we had many upsets so far, with cases like Saeki getting an amazing result against Sengoku. Tezuka, what do you think about the man that once took the Jr. Senbatsu spot you had rejected?
T: He let his guard down.
I: ... anything else?
T: Nein. I have a flight to catch. Auf wiedersehen.
I: Wait but...
S: I WON'T FALL BEHIND YOU, TEZUKAAAAA!!!
N: There they go... Don't worry Inoue, I have plenty of experience in the topic, I could stay here and talk all day... but I won't, because I'm a really busy man.

I: A personal interview with the great Samurai Echizen... oh my god I've been dreaming of this for years.
N: What was that, Inoue?
I: Nothing, nothing. That's great to hear! Let's get started then, shall we?

-Inoue: So, here we have Saeki Kojirou and Shiraishi Kuranosuke. We expected them to do similarly as long as Shishyshi wouldn't constantly show up... and we were wrong! They are in completely different ends of the table.
-Nanjirou: This Saeki kid... he reminds me a bit of myself to be honest, a true natural.
-That's... surprising to hear. Saeki must be flattered.
-The biggest difference is that I was fierce like a tiger whereas this kid is worse than a rabbit. As oblivious as a sheep I would say, he should be glad girls see him as sweet as one.
-Overall, his gameplan has been... building sand castles. For some reason, women have found it amusing. In round 1 he got a bit lucky that Atobe was taking a nap against him, and even like that he barely got a tie.
-He's the master of not winning after all, so it surprised no one really. He was a bit lucky too in Round 3 considering that Sengoku kid was tryharding so much... If you are thirsty, don't yell for drinks, go get them instead!
-An amazing advice... I'm taking notes.
-On the other hand, Shiraishi needs to loosen up a bit, he is getting worse every round. By the end of this, he might not even be able to talk to his sister. As Saeki reminds me of myself, Shiraishi reminds me a bit of you, Inoue.
-What do you mean?
-How's your wife?
-I'm not married.
-Exactly.
-... I think this will be it for now, thanks Mr. Echizen for your insight...
-Any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.