Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 446 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #24 of 2024 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Pece 1114

• My Hero Academia 422

• Jujutsu Kaisen 259

• Mission: Yozakura Family 225

• Undead Unluck 206

• Me & Roboco 184

• Sakamoto Days 165

• The Elusive Samurai 156

• Witch Watch 155

• Blue Box 148

• Akane Banashi 109

• Kill Blue 52

• Nue's Exorcist 49

• Kagurabachi 32

• Green Green Greens 22

• Ruri Dragon 13

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 13

• Dear Anemone 12

• Astro Royale 4

• Kyokuto Necromance 3

• Psych House 1 - New Series!

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #25 (2024)
Kill Blue (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 1st Anniversary)
Blue Box
My Hero Academia
Mission: Yozakura Family
Psych House (Color Page; 2nd Chapter)
SAKAMOTO DAYS
Kyokuto Necromance
Youhei no Hen (Color Page; 47p; Oneshot by Mane Hideaki)
Astro Royale
Jujutsu Kaisen
Akane-banashi (Color Page)
WITCH WATCH
Choujun! Chojo Senpai
Undead Unluck
Me & Roboco
Nue's Exorcist
Kagurabachi
Green Green Greens
Dear Anemone
ONE PIECE (Absent)
The Elusive Samurai (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #26 (2024) - Preview
Cover & LCP: Nue's Exorcist (1st Anniversary)
CP: Blue Box; Choujun! Chojo Senpai; Oneshot by Satoushou Masayoshi
Absent: My Hero Academia

Last edited:

Kurama58

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Shoseki Ranking Top 500 (May 4)
3. Kagurabachi #2
11. Akane-banashi #11
19. Undead Unluck #21
24. Nue's Exorcist #4
44. Cipher Academy #7
144. Martial Master Asumi #4
177. Shadow Eliminators #1
186. Green Green Greens #1

Backlog:
37. Kagurabachi #1

Also thanks maybe to the Golden Week, Yozakura has 7 Volumes at the top 500, Its best day since the anime started:
273 9784088840024 Mission: Yozakura Family 23 集英社 権平ひつじ 2024.04.04
326 9784088822433 Mission: Yozakura Family 2 集英社 権平ひつじ 2020.04.03
329 9784088821788 Mission: Yozakura Family 1 集英社 権平ひつじ 2020.02.04
381 9784088823348 Mission: Yozakura Family 3 集英社 権平ひつじ 2020.06.04
445 9784088838458 Mission: Yozakura Family 22 集英社 権平ひつじ 2024.03.04
478 9784088823829 Mission: Yozakura Family 4 集英社 権平ひつじ 2020.08.04
484 9784088824758 Mission: Yozakura Family 5 集英社 権平ひつじ 2020.11.04
How Kagurabachi going up again lol, this series never want to rest
Also Nue backlog dissapeared as soon as they showed up the first day, and now that UU surpassed it again, i guess Nue will do as usual, sub 30k

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Anyways I bought Kagurabachi v2 and something kind of interesting I noticed is that both volumes are a chapter longer than usual (v1 goes to ch 8, and v2 goes to ch 18). I wonder if it's to make the volumes more themed (since volume 2 is the whole Sojo fight) or if Hokazono or WSJ just thought it'd be better with slightly longer volumes than usual for whatever reason.
MamaYuyu also had 8 chapters in the first volume.

Bulju

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
At least Terasaka's the one getting an extra 10 chapters or so, even if it might sell less that's better than ending before you've gotten a chance to tell a full proper story arc.

Anyways I bought Kagurabachi v2 and something kind of interesting I noticed is that both volumes are a chapter longer than usual (v1 goes to ch 8, and v2 goes to ch 18). I wonder if it's to make the volumes more themed (since volume 2 is the whole Sojo fight) or if Hokazono or WSJ just thought it'd be better with slightly longer volumes than usual for whatever reason.
That entire batch had 8 chapter first volumes. I haven't looked through the newer releases so I don't know if this is something they intend to keep going or if they've already gone back to 7.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That entire batch had 8 chapter first volumes. I haven't looked through the newer releases so I don't know if this is something they intend to keep going or if they've already gone back to 7.
Two on Ice had 7

chareveleuv

Reaction score
Country
United States
GGG has 7

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hokazono only a newbie, but he already has appearances in foreign anime con (AFAID), got interviews in many newspapers, in TV, etc. Any other newbies in the past getting this treatment? Just curious.

Last edited:

KrenKren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really didn't expect Kagurabachi still so high
Despite the new release, you'd think after 3 months it’d lose some steam. Apparently not.
Word of mouth can be a crazy thing sometimes.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Top 10 Oricon for Kagurabachi ?
Might be challenging, in April, during the week that Shonen Jump series released (Apr 1 - 7), the volume at No. 10, Ao Ashi sold 60,000. The lowest selling volume to get into 10th sold 28,000 (HeroAca 4th week) in a different week in April.

With this context, I would think that to be safe Kagurabachi v2 should aim to sell more than 60,000 copies to guarantee a spot in the top 10 in this first week.

Last edited:

TheRealTravisty

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
How Kagurabachi going up again lol, this series never want to rest
Also Nue backlog dissapeared as soon as they showed up the first day, and now that UU surpassed it again, i guess Nue will do as usual, sub 30k
I’ve been thinking this to myself, but I think that card bonus is what helped Nue get the boost in the first few days.

KrenKren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might be challenging, in April, during the week that Shonen Jump series released (Apr 1 - 7), the series at No. 10, Ao Ashi sold 60,000. The lowest selling series to get into 10th sold 28,000 (HeroAca 4th week) in a different week in April.

With this context, I would think that to be safe Kagurabachi v2 should aim to sell more than 60,000 copies to guarantee a spot in the top 10 in this first week.
From what I can tell the competition that month was much more fierce.
A lot more high profile releases, and more of a reason for the cut-off to be marked so high

There are a few heavy hitters this time around too, of course, but not half as many.
Kagurabachi stands a chance I'd say, supposing the rank today is good enough.

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Top 10 Oricon for Kagurabachi ?
I doubt it. Same for Boruto. Unless the bar is lower than usual (40k), the only new volume with enough muscle to make its series to enter in the weekly Oricon top-10 is World Trigger (I'm talking about Oricon overall top-10 of the week. For individual volumes I don't know but both them will likely be in top-20 there at least). I'm thinking the bar for overall will be at around 60k but I can be wrong

What I wouldn't discard is a Mashle 1st position happening

Last edited:

Phantom RPG

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This post is a long one, so prepare yourselfs.

GIGA one-shots:

Excalibur Nougyou by Ikuoka Gozu

Ukatensei by Itou Hoch
New Jump Gigas one shots, yes. Thanks Magister Xehanort, you sir are a saint. What about Jump Giga Winter 2024? i saw some interesting stuff on twitter but could not get much of anything only Taro Kaneko's one shot, which was meet with a lot of praise online.

Now for my personal opinions in regards to the art, how the story is told, its panelling, its impact on me as a reader, who does not speak japanese but can somewhat understand the art.

Alright let's do this;

.Sensei wa by Fukamori Shou and DEATH WISH by Fukamori Shou: Since this is author produced two one shots in the same magazine i will talk about both now, starting with the Sensei one; this was a rather interesting story, both the act and character design are unique but i did kind of felt like the panelling could be done better. The same could be said for Death Wish, the panelling is what i felt was the weakness both everything else was engaging as heck.

I think this newcomer is one that has great potential, however i feel like said potential can be done more on Jump Plus than on Weekly Shonen Jump as i feel like it would be better conveyed than with a magazine aimed for teen boys, no offense.

.Momo Kuri San-nen Koi Hachi-nen by Toba Yuuki:

Alright, gonna say it here first folks. This is one to look out for. I overall did not expect it to enjoy the one shot, but boy it delivered a great one that i hope gets traslated soon, because it could be made into a series if the author play his hand right. Not goign to say whats it about just to make you all go and see for yourselfs.

Toba Yuki is an author i can see making a series in Weekly Shounen Jump after seeing the one shot.

.Mad Romanticist by Hoshide Haru:

I honestly do not know what i read, however i do give props for being crazy inventive. But i do think the artwork/paneling is need of some work in my personal opinion.

I think the author should try to make a few more one shots, cause the potential is really there it just needs more experience in my personal opinion. But if am to say anything i would say his former one shot was better in my opinion.

.Excalibur Nougyou by Ikuoka Gozu:

The Flora one shot author returns with a new one shot. This one was suprisingly creative and unique and i can see he managed to improve since the last time, from both his paneling but also his art. While i felt the story was a tad normal i did find it to have a bit of heart on it, which i aprove of.

This is an author i can personally see do well on Weekly Shounen Jump, both his style of art can really intrigue folks to go and read his stuff.

.Nousatsu no Tetsukamen by Taniguchi Yutaka:

A interesting love story from what i have seen.The art is interesting and vibrant and the paneling is simple but straight to the point. Overall i think this author has a very interesting future ahead of them.

.Skull Mark by Shimohara Seiya:

This author artstyle is kinda reminiscing of Tatsuki Fujimoto of Chainsaw Man fame but man, its was very zany in my opinion. Like the paneling is by far the best i have seen in the issue so far but the story was something weird but interesting.

I can definetly see this author finding success, however am somewhat not sure if Weekly Shonen Jump would suit his style of craft in my opinion. But he is one to look out for in the future for sure.

.Ukatensei by Itou Hochi:

Honestly reminding me of Blue Box, but it does have heart and really good art and storytelling elements. I wish to see this author do more sports because i think he does it really well in my opinion.

I can see him be another potential newcomer for the magazine if Blue Box ends in the next few years. But i do hope he tries do make a few more one shots just for experience.

.Mitsuami Skull no Kokoronokori by Marujuuji Chihiro:

This honestly was rather interesting for the fact that the story was genuiely engaging in the sense that when seeing the art you can somewhat understand what is going on in the story and not only that the author is really interesting when it comes to the story he wishes to tell. So i have to commend them for that.

This is another author to look out for, since i am sure we are seeing him again.

.Ashimaru by Hachiya Ikuo:

The return of a mangaka from Weekly Shonen Jump, gotta say he did try to overcome of the issues he had in Ice Head and i kinda have to compliment for him trying to improve. However the story was not really one i was engaged compared to the others, but i hope he continues since he has a really unique artsyle.

.Chigau Ana no Mujina feat.HARAISHI by Kahoune Machi:

This was not my personal favorite out of the bunch alongside another one that i also felt lack something. While the art is memorable i felt like the story was trying too many things and it was all over the place in my opinion. So persdonally, i want the other to continue making one shots and try and learn from this one shot at what he went wrong and how to improve it. I do have faith he will return with a much better story.

.Uchuu Yurei/SPACE GHOST by MariSawa Ibuka:
This was highly unique and i appreciate the art and its paneling, but i do feel like there were stronger works compared to them, however i do think they have quite the creative mind and that can take folks to places high.

This is an author to look out for when they lauch their next one shot.

.Piece of Witch by Arisaka Asahi:

By far the best of the best, everything was really professional. Like folks would think the fellow was already well know as a mangaka. That's how interesting the one shot was. The story, paneling and art all came together and it delivered in spades.

Arisaka Asahi is definetly one author to look out for and i would also say this style can work not only in Weekly Shonen Jump but also Jump Square.

.Shirataki Sunao wa Deshi Sugiru by Chicch:

Now this one i admit i enjoyed a bit too much. I liked the artstyle and i like that the story was rather straight to the point. I think this author would to very well on Weekly Shonen Jump and i hope to be proven correct in this.

.Brother Beat by Iwai Tsugumi:

The art is impressive by itself, but i felt that the story was the weakess element of it all. I do hope he returns andf makes a better story cause i think he has what it takes to deliver.

.Yumihime no Ibis by Minamino Tomiya:

Well i knew i recognized the fellow somewhere, he made a viking one shot back on Jump Giga 2023 Winter that was rather weak in my opinion. However i do think he improved by he still need experience, but i can see that he is learning ut i would reccomend he not make any series until he perfected his craft greatly. He is getting there and am hopeful for his future.

. Susume! Napoleon-sensei by Kawamoto Daishin:

For a gag manga, i just did not really vibe with it whatsover. i felt it was trying to be all over the place in general and it did nothing to click on me. However i do think if the author keeps trying he can managed to create a very funny series, but i think he needs more experience before he tries to do a series.

. Shisho no Oshigoto by Itou:

I think this author has an unique artstyle, however i do think he need to try something different to stand out a bit from other exorcist series as i felt the story was a bit repetitive. But i can see this author making numbers in the future and i can hardly wait to see what he makes.

.Himenokage by Yoshida Gakaku:

This was a peculiar one shot, it was rather engaging despite the art not being the best one. But the story elements was truly impressive. I think he has the making of an excellent writer, but i do think he needs improvement on his artstyle just a bit more. However i can see him making a series in the next few years.

This is another author to look out for in my opinion.

.HEART SHAKE!! by Iwai Tsugumi:

Gotta say it was rather interesting overall, however i do think the author has to give a few more one shots before making a full blown series. But i think the fellow has potential.

.LOOK!! by Ryuu:

I was impressed, it managed to keep me engaged in the story while also conveying the emotions of the characters with great detail and that is not something any mangaka can really do on the first go and do find out he made this less than i year ago is way too impressive. This fellow is most definetly one folks should and need to look out for in the future.

.Kinsei~ by Nunokabe Youji:

Alright, the one shot that Yusuke Tabata was talking about recently, gotta say. This author has an unique art and style of storytelling, it was a very interesting look and i can see why Tabata was interested. I can see this dude make a very unique series later down the line.

. Mahou wo Tsukawanai Majo/Mahou to Balance/Mahou no Tsue:

Mahou wo Tsukawanai Majo by Yokoya Machika;

I kinda like this authors sense of artstyle and narrative elements, iwish to see more of this author in future one shots before coming with my own conclusions.

Mahou to Balance by Yoshimura Yoshi;

Interesting short story, however ifeel like the author needs a tad more experience in my opinion.

Mahou no Tsue by Kushogawara Takirou;

Interesting artstyle but i do feel like the story was a bit flat, so i hope he makes a story that is engaging next time.

Overall, i felt like this issue was a bit stronger than last year Spring Issue but just by a little bit.

The authors i think i would want to see in Weekly Shonen Jump are as follow:

• Arisaka Asahi
  • Toba Yuuki
  • Ikuoka Gozu
  • Shimohara Seiya( I know what i said about him, but i do wish to see him in the magazine just to see how folks approach his artsyle and way of storytelling)
  • Itou Hochi
  • Chicch
  • Marujuuji Chihiro
What do you guys think about it overall? Which authors do you think we should look out for in the future of the magazine in this particular issue?

Last edited:

Discomusic

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It's Golden Week, which means no Jump and that in turn means a new episode of...

Jump Retro Review

It works like this: I think of a chapter of any series in Jump history that is important for historical or personal reasons, then I wonder: "what was the magazine doing when this chapter was published?". So I search for every available translated chapter from that particular ToC, and I review all those I can find in order to have a snapshot of which series were ongoing and at what part of the story they were in certain point in time. It's like reading an issue of Jump of the past!

Issue #17, 1999: the one where Luffy and the gang walked to Arlong Park, JoJo classic concluded and Yabuki was debuting with a later axed manga.
Issue #12, 2005: the one where the battle between L and Light had a winner, Matsui debuted with Neuro and many other series delivered their own historical chapter.
Issue #22, 1985: the one where I tried reviewing an issue of the '80s and it was so difficult that I swore to never do that again.
Issue #45, 2011: the one where I wanted to cover a pivotal chapter of HunterXHunter, but I read the wrong issue and got a pivotal chapter of Naruto instead.
Issue #15, 1991: the one where a certain Saiyan turned his hair blonde for the first time, and the history of manga changed forever.
Issue #48, 2008: the one where Jump didn't care to celebrate its 2000th issue, but there are a number of historical chapters anyway, most notably Bleach is about vice-captain Omaeda.
Issue #33, 1997: the one where it was the last time we lived in a world without One Piece, and I thought it would be an easy issue to cover but there are too many unfound chapters.
Issue #43, 2011: the one where I corrected the mistakes of the past and covered the issue with that pivotal chapter of HxH, where we mourned the loss of a King.
Issue #41, 2001: the one with the weak motivation of being the last issue of Jump before 9/11, but at least it contained some gems like the 5th chapter of Bleach.

So this is the issue we are going to cover this week:

Issue #29, 2017. Very recent for the standard of this column. I think that history is not only a matter of ancient times, but even today we are making history for the future, so modern times are also worth of being discussed here. Besides, it should be easier to find material for a 2017 issue, right?
It was a good period for the magazine with a good number of successes, after all this is much earlier than the crisis of 2020. And this is also the year of the "Shonen Six", the famous round of 6 where every series had a reason or another to be a topic of discussion. You will find only 5 here, because U19 had already been axed generating the famous meme... actually you will find 4 because I couldn't find a translation for one of them.

Speaking of, here are the chapters that I couldn't cover this time:
Spring Weapon Number One 33
Poro no Ryugaku-ki 17 (END)
Isobe Isobee Monogatari: Ukiyo wa Tsurai yo 240

Pretty sad because I was curious for all three of them, expecially the final chapter of Gondaira's old axed series. If anyone knows where I can find any of these series, you can PM and I will gladly update my ranking.

But as always, there has to be a reason why I choose this issue specifically. You can search it by reading the full ranking below, but I warn you: it is not in the first positions...

1. Gintama 639: The final battle (pre-timeskip) takes place also in space, and Kiheitai is the protagonist there. A great chapter where the strategist of the team (not very used as a character before) motivates the others, sets up a plan using former enemies turned friends, and tastes despair when the group is counterattacked. Man, I should have picked Gintama for an epic chapter to base my review on.
2. Hinomaru Zumou 149: Himomaru is fighting an opponent out of his league, and he flashbacks to the memories of his mother encouraging him to do sumo, and other childhood memories of why he loves the sport. And in the end, a flame ignites inside him…this is my first contact with this series and it is very good!
3. My Hero Academia 141: Suneater against a trio of thugs that are rejects of society and have a strong bond that unites them to each other. He defeats them and accepts their point of view at the same time. A typical MHA theme that in my opinion hit the spot more in these early days of the series.
4. Shokugeki no Soma 219: Kuga vs. Tsukasa. The former was humiliated by the latter in a flashback battle, and now he wants to prove his talent is true. Apart from that, I get that there is some kind of tournament between former and current “elite 10” members and a random alligator in the end. Is this already the arc that everyone hates? I don’t know the series but I enjoyed it.
5. Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan 248: We are in the middle of a flashback arc where the protagonist remembers his past as an esper, when he destroyed some buildings to fight bullism…actually, it’s not that he remembers, it’s more like he timeloops there, to resolve a petrification issue in the present. That’s what I understood anyway. Good writing whatever I was right or wrong.
6. Dr. Stone 15: This is the one of the “Shonen six” that ranked better (around mid-rank). It is the chapter where a revived Senku gets rid of Taiju and Yuzuriha by sending them in a mission to the enemy ranks, while he goes on creating his village of science and de facto rewriting the premises of the manga. So a very important early chapter for the series.
7. Haikyuu!! 258: Mangaplus stopped publishing the re-edition before this point, so I don’t know who the opponent team or the direct rival of Hinata are…but the chapter is about MC getting recognition from such rival, and does that with good defense and a block he usually hates when he’s on the attacking side. A good chapter that delivers well the message that it wants to.
8. Shuudan! 2: A series about soccer! Or maybe about friendship, judging by this chapter. I suppose that in the series debut, a girl showed up at the boys soccer club training and proved she can be part of the team. This chapter is about her and the male MC hanging around at his room and bonding thanks to the common passion of soccer. I should read more chapters to understand what king of series it is, but I liked the vibes of what I read today.
9. We Never Learn 19: It’s a romcom so not my usual jam, but I enjoyed the chapter. Uruka tries to provoke Nariyuki to get his heart race, while he tries to keep distances with her since he is oblivious of her feelings. There are some fun gags running around this concept.
10. Kimetsu no Yaiba 66: This is the chapter I had in mind when I picked up the issue. At the very end of the Mugen train arc, a pillar is killed off and has last words for the protagonist team. It is very emotional…but actually, not that much. It was a very standard farewell speech and more notable were the reactions of the other pillars: in a period where we didn’t know them well yet, everyone had a different reaction that establishes their character. With all the money Jump gained thanks to this chapter, I was expecting more.
11. The Promised Neverland 43: Ray is hunted by the demons - wait, at chapter 43 they were already out of the house? - and in typical Ray fashion he thinks a lot before moving to action. His goal: let Emma and her team move undetected to safety. Transitional chapter but still fun to read.
12. One Piece 869: In the middle of Wholecake saga, the assassination plan failed and everyone is forced to be sieged inside Bege’s castle, while the very important treasure opens and falls somewhere. It’s one of those transitional One Piece chapters we’ve become accustomed to in recent times.
13. Black Clover 114: Asta, Zack and Mimosa are forming a trio for a tournament or an exam which I totally forgot about. Zack is sleeping, the other two are dueling against three randos of another team. Forgettable chapter of pure action (but got first in ToC that week).
15. RobotXLaserbeam 10: I loved this series when it came out, but this chapter was actually disappointing. A partner of Robo shows off a super technique to make a large curve with the ball, and Robo learns it and reproduces it at the first try as if he was Goku with the Kamehameha. Green Green Greens is better, but golf manga can’t find success after all.
16. Cross Account 1: This series was debuting in this issue of Jump. It’s a school comedy where an unremarkable guy has a popular online persona, and meets an online friend that gives him courage. Apart from some thinking about the social problems caused by social media, nothing stands out and the chapter was as unremarkable as his main character. The final twist was also easy to predict.
17. Hungry Marie 16: The fight is on between the titular Marie and the leader of another group…a 125 vs. 7 match of cops and robbers! After the premise, when the actual game started it became a little chaotic and hard to follow. Judging by one chapter alone, this may be the worst Tamura Jump series, but I have to say that Dolphin is still my favourite series of the ‘20s.
18. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san 67: You can guess that this is not my favourite kind of series. For the fans, this is the chapter where they discuss valentine chocolates and the boy gets some with the form of a shuriken, so that the ninja can confess her love (but ultimately she doesn’t). I suppose it’s a good chapter for its audience.

And that is all for this kinda recent issues. Many disappointments if you think about it, but also a number of good discoveries. Maybe some series just got a bad chapter that issue.

Anyway, that's all for now. I already have a couple ideas for this summer, so see you at the next edition of Jump Retro Review!

Last edited:

JBC008

Reaction score
Country