Discussion - What killed the hype? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What killed the hype?

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
In your opinion, what killed the hype about the manga?

Why now compared to other manga of the Jump, there is very little talk about it?

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Not sure if you mean here specifically or based on the manga sales in Japan (for the former, it's always been pretty quiet around here).

But one thing I'd put out there is the lack of focus on the plot/narrative since there's been a lot of one-off fights with newly introduced characters.

Riverskull

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Eh, i think it depends in where you look at imo. If you talk about this place, a lot of manga series sections are kinda tame, minus One Piece. KnY talk was also kinda tame back when it got its own section, even though it was at the peak of its popularity and hype overall.

There is still a lot of talk and hype about JJK in places like Reddit, Twitter, YT, Discord and basically everywhere else. Is just that forums, especially for newer series, are kinda dead nowadays. Sakamoto Days is the new most hyped series, yet his own thread is basically dead aswell.

Last edited:

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
End of Shibuya arc was a pretty jarring change of pace and honestly it hasn't recovered since. Comparable with the crapfest that was Tokyo Ghoul's reset & time skip.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Not sure if you mean here specifically
I speak in general of forums and other channels. I don't think it's given much consideration.

End of Shibuya arc was a pretty jarring change of pace and honestly it hasn't recovered since. Comparable with the crapfest that was Tokyo Ghoul's reset & time skip.
I am increasingly convinced that Shibuya was the great excuse that Akutami has set to redeem the status quo of the manga from scratch and write a story the way he likes it.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
am increasingly convinced that Shibuya was the great excuse that Akutami has set to redeem the status quo of the manga from scratch and write a story the way he likes it
Could you elaborate on that?

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Could you elaborate on that?
Well, half of the cast killed or maimed, less and less presence of Itadori and Sukuna's finger plotline ....

Let's now put all the game and the characters and concepts introduced ....

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hunmmm, I see. I was just curious to understand why this way would be "as Akutami likes it".

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
By hype, do you mean this forum ? Frankly speaking, I wouldn't consider this forum as a good way to measure popularity. Example: Kingdom and Hajime no Ippo threads are dead, yet the reddit forums for them are quite active. Same for Dragon Ball Super and Boruto

Now, I am not sure about the rankings or how Japanese feel about JJK. But it will regain popularity once the anime's second season will start (assuming Mappa will keep the same quality).

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
By hype, do you mean this forum
I mean on various forums, social networks etc.

I read a lot of critiques about the fights, the characters, the storytelling style etc.

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
For me, it's because the anime stopped. The hype will increase once the anime is back and assuming Mappa delivers the same quality. I think this is a fairly common issue with animes that have seasons rather than being ongoing.

Also mindful that while JJK is a great manga overall, it is not exactly groundbreaking either. JJK will never reach the heights reached by DB, Naruto, OP, HxH etc.

Senoirmeow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Still love JJK, the fighting panels in the manga are great, but it’s dropped from a solid 9 overall during Shibuya for me and it’s now slowly ebbing down towards a 7, though black clovers recent arc done the same for me and it had a great twist towards the end so there’s still hope for redemption.
But the plot development seems rushed and I dunno, paced extraordinarily strangely. Something just feels off, the manga felt strange not just after Shibuya, but in the mini arc surrounding the Zenin family. The manga should’ve been paced more slowly and continued through the years at Jujutsu High and built the world slightly more, but several people, myself included on forums believe the series to be either at or in, it’s penultimate arc and it doesn’t feel right. Even the drawing was rather sloppy in panels in some chapters in the recent year or so.

Riverskull

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Still love JJK, the fighting panels in the manga are great, but it’s dropped from a solid 9 overall during Shibuya for me and it’s now slowly ebbing down towards a 7, though black clovers recent arc done the same for me and it had a great twist towards the end so there’s still hope for redemption.
But the plot development seems rushed and I dunno, paced extraordinarily strangely. Something just feels off, the manga felt strange not just after Shibuya, but in the mini arc surrounding the Zenin family. The manga should’ve been paced more slowly and continued through the years at Jujutsu High and built the world slightly more, but several people, myself included on forums believe the series to be either at or in, it’s penultimate arc and it doesn’t feel right. Even the drawing was rather sloppy in panels in some chapters in the recent year or so.
If anything id say the manga has been paced more slowly as of late imo, specifically since Gege came back from the hiatus. Gege was sick and burned out during the post Shibuya chapters and especially during the Zenin arc which is why it had such a problematic pacing to the point Gege had to take 2 months hiatus in the first place.

Franz

Reaction score
Country
Italy
The manga should’ve been paced more slowly and continued through the years at Jujutsu High and built the world slightly more,
It is that the author has never been interested in the school setting, he admitted himself to having inserted it because his editor recommended it to him.

Which explains why he has spent so little time on it, he doesn't perceive it as probably of him ....

This problem is also reflected in the world of sorcerers, which is a bit ... inconsistent.
In the end, we know very little about the upper floors, the rank system, the great clans ....

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Definitely feel like some more world building in that regards could do wonders for JJK.

For me, with the introduction of a lot of characters in this arc, it feels a bit hard to get attached to them. Often just don't really have much to say after reading a chapter anymore these days.