Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 494 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

How will Psych House perform on Shonen Jump?

• A Success

• Decently Well

• It Will Struggle

• A Flop

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enezneb

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #27 (2024) - ToC
Sakamoto Days (Cover, Lead Color Pages, Anime Announcement)
Akane-banashi
One Piece
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo (Color Page, 2nd of Two Consecutive, Popularity, Vol. 1 Release)
Blue Box
Astro Royale
Den Den Night (Color Page, One-shot by Itsuki Takekamo, 47p)
My Hero Academia
Undead Unluck (Color Page, 4th Anniversary Fan Art Result)
Psych House
Mission: Yozakura Family
Kyokuto Necromance
Witch Watch
Kill Blue
The Elusive Samurai
Kagurabachi
Me & Roboco
Nue's Exorcist
Green Green Greens
Dear Anemone
Jujutsu Kaisen (Absent)

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #28 (2024) - Information
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP, 4th Popularity Poll Result)
Me & Roboco (Color Page, Popularity, Collaboration Project)
Astro Royale (Color Page, Popularity, New Arc)
Use Mono Sagashi (失せモノ探し, Color Page, One-shot by Mujina Muji, 47p)

Last edited by a moderator:

Phantom RPG

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Question: How do you know a one shot manga is successful?

Is it via social media or are there other means to it?

Cause I remember Tate Roll and Blue Box one shot getting praised online by mostly western media but have not seen much highlight in their own country so am curious.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Question: How do you know a one shot manga is successful?

Is it via social media or are there other means to it?

Cause I remember Tate Roll and Blue Box one shot getting praised online by mostly western media but have not seen much highlight in their own country so am curious.
From what i know only know from jp readers talking about on Twitter/Message Boards or the author posting it. Jump don't announce anything in the magazine.

Phantom RPG

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
From what i know only know from jp readers talking about on Twitter/Message Boards or the author posting it. Jump don't announce anything in the magazine.
Hm, never knew that.

But the more I guess, by the way how was the reception of Hideaki Nabe's newest one shot? I know he alongside the likes of Taishin Uemura and Tatsuki Sakurai are former contestants that are very likely to make debuts in the future. At least that's my opinion.

chareveleuv

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Omg you all have no faith in Necromance, nearly 50% believe it will flop. Wow...
Necromance actually exploded on JP Twitter yesterday. An unoffical account posting a chapter is over 30K likes. It’s getting more buzz than Astro now. Still not sure if it can survive, but there should be more faith here.

Kiaida

Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Necromance actually exploded on JP Twitter yesterday. An unoffical account posting a chapter is over 30K likes. It’s getting more buzz than Astro now. Still not sure if it can survive, but there should be more faith here.

I wouldn't look too much into twitter likes. Have this for example, but it's worth the try.

JBC008

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Speaking of Kill Blue, I think it was JBC who theorized it, but it’s definitely confirmed on the SJ app at this point. The banner they use is from a previous colour page, all because Ogami had a gun on this week’s cover. XD
It was me, you are correct.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Maybe a bit Off-Topic but, Keiki Hayashiya, the rakugoka that supervises Akane-banashi, is getting promoted to shin'uchi (Highest Rank of Rakugo)
Maybe this current arc is reflective on that.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Undead Unluck break is dissapointing, hopefully the author is fine.

Crimson Trickster

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Arcane is animate and produce and fortiche but Arcane is a Original Netflix series. This is like the Star Wars series animate by japanese series is a Disney+ Original series. Sakamoto anime shouldn't be a Netflix Original Series. They don't command it.
Nah, the idea of Arcane wasn't even done by Netflix. Riot had it in development way back in 2015. Tencent also had a big hand in it, even releasing it in their steaming platform.
Nooooooo!!
Well, it was a nice streak. I hope he’s doing okay.
It's because of the new Street Fighter 6 update I reckon.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Okay, so after the last time where I was late, I finally got the chapters finished. And with that said here is the review.

-My Hero Academia: And finally, it’s over. But now in the next 10-11 chapters is just wrap up. I guess the last volume took care of the heavy lifting and this is the clean up. I guess it makes sense. Hopefully it plays well and it will be a satisfactory ending in the same vein as Mashle or Haikyu. I say that cause the ending for Mashle was well paced and wasn’t rushed. I was concerned about how this chapter was going to go because of the spoiler on show I skimmed it earlier, but actually reading it, I have no complaints.

-Jujutsu Kaisen: Finally, a chapter that isn’t bogging it down with exposition (as much). Good action, great dynamic, but am excited and concerned on how it ended in the last page. I am just worried that it will rob something again. But am gearing up for that but sad that for MHA that I have to wait a week and a half for the next chapter.

-Mission: Yozakura Family: A good start to the fights. But also, some good exposition along with elements that remind me of their series that had similar elements. Though I think there will be one running gag that will be the next Mashle in terms of its length while the others will be the primary focus for their fighting. Note that I am not going into it to deep mainly cause of the anime starting and anything I say would count as “spoilers”. But other than that, a good amount to keep me satisfied, but I think the next chapter is going to be the one that will get my interest cause of that cliffhanger.

-Undead Unluck: Unfortunate that we have to wait another week for the next chapter. But what we are being promised is actually really interesting. For one Discomusic said it best in his review where it was something that wasn’t even asked, let alone what we wanted. And to bring this up now, I really want to know cause of the interest. But everything before was fun as a way to decompress after that fight. But even at that, we are now nearing the end with our last 3 recruits and that they will be more spread out instead of taking everything to that one person. So I will let Tozuka rest, but to find out about that twist, count me in. Hopefully this will help it last longer and get higher in the ToC.

-Sakamoto Days: Well, this was action packed (like always). But the one thing that surprised me was my shift in wanting the villains to win, which felt really weird to me, and that there was a lack of Sakamoto or Shin as the focus. But Takamura, that last page where he said that line, makes me want to support him even more. But the one thing that was absolutely ridiculous was the fact that he amputated his arm and then reattached it with just putting it back on without stitching or any other radical ability just broke me. I hope there is a real answer in the next chapter as that is just way to unbelievable.

-Witch Watch: I would say that this chapter was a bit of a step down as it didn’t hit as hard as the previous chapter. But, what makes this still sink in is the idea of graduating. You see, I just graduated from this program a month ago, and it is very relatable in terms of moving on. Now the only thing that I know was the joke but wasn’t as strong for me was the graduation speech. I mean I get what it was trying to do, but I would much rather had the jokes on debating what Jekyll would say and then get into the speech to make the serious impact of the goodbye. But after that it was good to see him cry cause it is okay, because it is being human. But anyways, I am glad they graduated and that we can move forward. Though it will be interesting in the future for Nico to be playing Splatoon with a bunch of Kindergarteners when she returns to her original age.

-Blue Box: At first I didn’t know what to expect, but after a brief lost and found scenario, what was found was love and the truth. And now that the latter is out, I wonder how this will change the dynamics of the school.

-Akane-banashi: We are now starting the Rakugo performance, but it had to be spoiled by that Afro headed jerk. Someone said that they are on he same level as an Ace Attorney villain, and now I am starting to see it. I remembered back in my criticism review on how I felt certain characters other than Akane could stand out more, I think we found our winner for the wrong reasons (not in a hatable way where it is like “please get him off the page”, but more like “please let him get his just rewards so he can be as miserable as the lives he ruins”). But it is true, this is the most tense atmosphere we have seen in a while after the events from chapter 1. But the next chapter is going to finally be the performance and I can’t wait.

-Kill Blue: At first I thought it was going to be one thing, but then Fujimaki pulled the rug from under us to make it a horror survival mystery series. Overall, good amount of material in this chapter and some hilarious jokes. Though if this does become a crossover with Detective Conan, I will lose my mind. Anyway with the chapter, I don’t know what is more scarier, the mystery of the island or the butler wearing air max sneakers that don’t fit with his attire at all.

-Nue’s Exorcist: I don’t know, something about the transitions in this chapter aren’t at fluid as it could be. It was nice to see some more about Suo’s character with her hair ribbon. But the infiltration objective by the villains (though built up), maybe could have started in the later portions of the chapter as we begin the next arc. But to learn about Nue’s blade, I am curious about it. Though how it approached it in the beginning felt almost reminiscent of a scene from Chainsaw Man. And the Level 4 here, hopefully we will learn more about her. Also the Level 3 monster in the way it creeps around reminds me of the Split Face monster from The Thing (and I do mean from the 2011 film cause the 1982 John Carpenter was already charred).

-Kagurabachi: I felt like this chapter was some small setup for the action, along with some small character building. But to see that power with that stone to see the Jellyfish, almost is making me go back to Kill Blue with that stealth Jellyfish and makes it feel difficult to separate them mainly from what we have seen fairly recently. Though it will have different execution, it is a matter if it is good. But after seeing some clever layouts like the flashback being burnt with the cigarette helped make the transition, I love that kind of thought. Though I wonder if we will see more of Shiba in an actual fight to see him live up to the hype we haven’t seen due to it being off screened.

-Green Green Greens: I would say that the chapter was well paced. And that for this chapter, I think it is good to talk about not being perfect and dealing with recovery. But what I am glad about is how if the series had survived, this could have been the thing to keep Oga instead of winning. It is the kind of thing I criticized in MMA where I thought Nito should have lost as a means to build his character, and show the need to grow. Here it is done well, and it was also nice to see Oliver here again as a means to build up Haku. Though we know the unlikely outcome of it not surviving, I really still do enjoy it and that I have to say to the voters that they are really missing out on this series. Maybe we should support it and it will come back in the same way as Rising Impact was.

-Super Psychic Policeman Chojo: A really funny chapter that shows about blindly following people who are hacks. Though was makes it even funnier is that the robot is the reasonable one. Though that would be hilarious to see it lose it and take it out on a punching bag. All I have to say is that Copbot and Ippongi are my favorite officers in the group. But how it ended, I am glad that Chojo felt shame and realized how he was used. So funny.

-Astro Royale: I felt that the fight was too short, and a bit condensed. As much as it wanted to build on character with Kou, I just couldn’t grasp on to anyone or anything cause I didn’t care for the characters.

-Kyokuto Necromance: This chapter felt to cryptic in its approach. I mean I can be that too. But I can for must of the time understand what happens, but here I don’t know if Yoji and the caretaker have a thing if they did. And I felt that the Level C going into that fight was a bit rushed and that Kauro didn’t fully grasp his Shiryo to build a connection. But another element that I feel like was a bit lackluster is the ranking. Don’t get me wrong I really like how it is thought out, but at the same time both this and Nue with the ranks are being somewhat compared to JJK’s curse rating system. Though different they both have focus saying that Nue can go up to Level 4 and that here in KN it goes from the highest of Class S to the lowest of Class E. We’ll see how it goes, I am just 50/50 on it.

-Psych House: Before I go over the chapter, one note that I saw on here and I didn’t think to mention was the arts proportions. I think it was by Qukiqq. And I primarily saw that with the hands, especially for Kotoue, so I am glad that I wasn’t the only one. But it’s best to keep in mind that this is chapter 2 and with time the art will improve, it always does when they take time and practice. Now to the chapter (note that I will not go into the last 2 pages on what people are talking about cause it’s not me and I don’t want to give it that kind of attention), I know that people were a bit disappointed that we haven’t seen that much of the rest of the cast, but it didn’t bother me as much as I think we got a good healthy dosage with the caretaker of the house and a good walk around on it and it’s house rules. Also it was fun that it is like a child’s imagination wonder with how big and small everything is by Nemuru. Plus it was a good way to learn about Kotoue’s powers as it reminds me of the analysis on Cyclops when he came in from X-Men Apocalypse. So I think this works out as we got enough gags, exposition, and a good introduction to get us familiar with this new story. So overall not bad.

And that is it for my review. Can’t wait for next week where we will go over everything again (minus MHA and UU).

iker_03

Reaction score
Country
Spain
90 9784088838809 Kagurabachi 2 集英社 外薗健 2024.05.02
154 9784088840239 Akanebanashi 11 集英社 馬上鷹将 2024.05.02
277 9784088840253 Nue's Exorcist 4 集英社 川江康太 2024.05.02
306 9784088840208 Undead Unluck 21 集英社 戸塚慶文 2024.05.02
----
176. Kagurabachi #1

Last edited by a moderator:

Shonenfan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Based off the series quality and the JP reception, how do you all think the new series will fare?

Also, what series do you think will end by the next batch (which I guess is like 10ish weeks away?)

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not quite ready to make bets on the current batch but MHA, GGG and DA all seem locked in for ending next batch.

JBC008

Reaction score
Country
Okay, now that I have caught up and that it’s Tuesday, it is time to continue what Shinuki started, the top 3 spreads of this issue. Honestly kind of dry, and for some spreads that didn’t make the top 3, they are okay, but for 2 spreads they didn’t get an honorable mention, so I apologize if I might hurt your feelings. Anyway here are my top 3 of this issue.

3. Mission: Yozakura Family (Demon Lord Shion) - The reason why this is on the top of my list is primarily the fun aspect and how larger than life Shion is thinking that she is going to win. Although admittedly a little fan servicy it still has some excitement cause of the energy. Though it was funny to see the smaller panels of either Yo’s reaction or the what the other teams are doing.

2. Akane-banashi (Cold Stares) - Before I begin, I also forgot to mention this in my review where I need to acknowledge the color page and how I like that it is a nod to 1950’s-60’s American diners. It is reminiscent of a restaurant chain (though I am unaware of how their business is doing) Ruby’s (though they never had any roller skates when they serve you). Anyway to the spread, this is the prime example of feeling the pressure when everything looks like it is against you. Those eyes that feel like they are staring into your soul, the dark atmosphere cause of the pressure, and all of this leading to the case that another incident might happen again. This is a great build to the next chapter, must be shared.

1. Blue Box (Sorry for making you wait) - Probably the most touching scene to read. To show how much you truly love someone and that keeping it a secret is crap. Both this and the previous spread for the series are actually the best, so I had to give it the number 1.

Honorable mentions: Jujutsu Kaisen (A trick, within a trick, within a trick), Mission: Yozakura Family (Yozakura Entrapment Net!), Undead Unluck (The Union vs The Master Rules and God), Sakamoto Days (You think I’m senile, don’t you?), Blue Box (Chinatsu returns), and Akane-banashi (The arch four)

And those are my spread choices. I almost put up Astro Royale, but I took it down because even though the image is cool, I could give it an honorable mention cause it didn’t carry any emotional wait that made me care.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, at least it seems like Jump editors know Green Green Greens it's a good series that shouldn't be axed:

They have given some good advertising for the volume release in the last issues despite knowing sales would be low and it almost sure getting axed in few months, so kudos for them, at least trying :noworry

Based off the series quality and the JP reception, how do you all think the new series will fare?

Also, what series do you think will end by the next batch (which I guess is like 10ish weeks away?)
No idea, online criticism doesn't mean a series will fail as much as praise doesn't mean is going to be popular, statistically talking Astro Royale is the most likely to succeed since is the one pulling bigger views numbers, has tons of fanart and etc while Necromance and Psych have pretty low numbers, not to mention PH controversy, but Chojo had low numbers too and is doing great so far.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
90 9784088838809 Kagurabachi 2 集英社 外薗健 2024.05.02
154 9784088840239 Akanebanashi 11 集英社 馬上鷹将 2024.05.02
277 9784088840253 Nue's Exorcist 4 集英社 川江康太 2024.05.02
306 9784088840208 Undead Unluck 21 集英社 戸塚慶文 2024.05.02
----
176. Kagurabachi #1
The new Young Jump Manga, The Gals Who Always Say Insane Things: My Daily Life at a Private Paranormal High School v1 at 36...provides implications for Psych House as the concept is practically the same and now I wonder if Psych House can really compete with a similar successful manga in another jump magazine but which started way stronger.

Crimson Trickster

Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
You guys suppose they could announce circulation for Nue on the color page? I don't know if they ever do that.