Discussion - Mysteries of One Piece | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Mysteries of One Piece

bittman

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well after being here for a long time I've seen many threads dedicated to a mystery in One Piece, but given the sheer size of the series it's hard to keep track of every single mystery in Oda's fantasia.

The aim of this thread is to gather all the possible mysteries of One Piece that have been lurking in our minds, whether recent mysteries which could be answered in the next chapter, or things that have been plaguing our minds since Romance Dawn. I won't post my own, because I'll just sit here and make a list of a couple of hundred questions and not leave you with any fun.

Of course, this thread could get out of hand so I only have two requests:
1) Don't turn this into a discussion about the mysteries, but answering something someone may have thought of as a mystery is allowed.
2) Post questions that are mysteries and not just facts we are missing, something suited to the Davy Back forum or predictions:
Good - "Who is Dandan?" , "Who is Luffy's mother?", "What is the One Piece?" (I'll put these up myself)
Bad - "What is Whitebeard's Devil Fruit?", "Is Ace stronger than Enel?", "Is Blackbeard using the World Government?"

Depending on how much response this thread gets, I'll probably alphabetise the list, group common themes and maybe even link to threads where the mysteries are being discussed (though I recomend the Index for all your thread needs). Users will be credited with their questions.

Mysteries of One Piece:
  • Who is Dandan?
  • What is the One Piece?
  • What does the D. stand for? (darkband)
  • What is the name of the country Clover was talking about? (darkband)
  • What is the motivation of the Revolutionaries? (rhaven/Imitorar)
  • What was the Void century? What has been voided from history? (LoS)
  • What is Posidien? Where is it hidden if it still exists? (LoS)
  • How many Ancient Warships are there? (Absolutio)
  • What was the shadow in the Florian Triangle? (paradoxe)
  • Who are the parents of many of the Strawhats? (includes Luffy (mother only), Zoro (both), Nami (both), Sanji (both), Robin (father), Franky (both), Brooke (both)) [could be expanded]
  • What are Kuma's motives in saving the Strawhat's? (rhaven + paradoxe)
  • How long have the Three World Powers existed? (paradoxe)
  • How does the World Government's hierarchy and governing system work? (paradoxe)
  • What are the minimum requirements for becoming a Shichibukai? (paradoxe)
  • What is the World Government's control and authority over the world? (paradoxe)
  • Is Raftel inhabited? (paradoxe)
  • Why have people not reached Raftel in reverse? (paradoxe)
  • What does the Strawhat represent to Shanks? (paradoxe)
  • What are the true backgrounds of the Supernova's? [could be expanded] (paradoxe)
  • How many Vice-Admirals are there? (paradoxe)
  • What's with Sanji's Left Eye? (ZeroChrome)
  • Does the All Blue exist? (gao_dargon)
  • What was Gol D. Roger's sickness, and how did he get it? (gao_dargon)
  • Are Luffy and Ace actually full brothers? (gao_dargon)
  • How many Devil Fruits are there? (gao_dargon)
  • How did they write a book on Devil Fruits and their powers? (gao_dargon)
  • Where do Devil Fruits come from? (gao_dargon)
  • Can the Rumble Ball be used on other Devil Fruit users? (gao_dargon)
  • Why is the Grand Line created so unique from the rest of the world? (k-dom)

Last edited:

darkband

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's some big ones:

1.What does the D. stand for?
2.What is the name of the country Clover was talking about?

rhaven

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
some quick ones:
who are the revolutionaries?
what was kuma's purpose

--Edit--
Who is Pandaman?

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
The Revolutionaries are a group led by Dragon that want to topple the World Government, obviously. Unless you mean "What is the motivation of the Revolutionaries?" And Pandaman is a character Oda created for a Kinikuman contest when he was a kid, who he now uses for "Easter Egg" hidden cameo appearances in One Piece. That's really more or less all there is to him.

LoS

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Isle of Man
What is the Void Century, what was voided?

What is Posiedon, where is it hidden?

bittman

Reaction score
Country
Australia
C'mon guys, way more than this.

Thanks Imitorar for clearing up rhaven's mysteries. I also took your suggestion for the question into the mystery list.

Rhaven, could you also clear up your question? What was Kuma's purpose is pretty broad. Is it in saving the Strawhats from Kizaru, leaving Zoro with the pain, becoming a Shichibukai, etc?

Reworded your question a little LoS, makes it a bit clearer, though perhaps more ambiguous at the same time.

Last edited:

rhaven

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
Hi, I guess what I meant by the Kuma mystery is this: If Kuma is a cyborg programmed b Vegapunk, why does he allow the Strawhats to escape. Is he going against his programming or following it?

Absolutio

Reaction score
Country
Israel
What is Posiedon, where is it hidden?
Posiedon=Pluton=Name for an ancient "weapon"=An ancient warship that's said to have the deadliest force.
The whole CP9 thing with Robin and Franky was about the ancient weapons and their possible revival..

Where is it hidden?
Well, first of all we need to ask ourselves how many ancient warships are there to start with?
Is Posiedon just another name for Pluton, meaning they are the same ship, or is Posiedon is another warship with the same design, meaning there are two ancient warships..
And if they're hidden for so long, it must be some special secret location that the WG can't get their hands on - for example, a sky island, Raftel, secret/hidden islands that don't have magnetic forces in them (in the grandline).

Here is some mystery/question I have..
How does selling the grandline in the opposite way work?
Lets say if you start in the middle of grandline, and you want to sail "backwards".. How does it work, since in each island you get the magnetic field of the island and the next one, so the arrow would lead to the next island, and the back of the arrow would lead to the current (or while journing to the next, the previous).

Last edited:

paradoxe

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
What was the thing in the Florian Triangle?

And it'd be nice to know more of all the SH's backgrounds. Like family etc.

What are Kuma's motives?

How long have the Three World Power system existed?

What are the minimum requirements for application to the Shichibukai?

Who actually leads the WG? The Gorosei? What if they disagree with each other?

How much authority does the WG actually have in the individual kingdoms and islands? Do they have no authority at all in the New World?

Whos the King of Elbaf? How powerful is he actually?

Does anyone live on Raftel?

Why is it impossible to walk across Reverse Mountain to get to Raftel? -.-

What does the Straw hat represent? Why was it so important to Shanks?

What is Gol D Roger's treasure (One Piece)?

It'd be nice to know more about the Supernova exploits.

Are there any other notable pirates aside from the Shichibukai and Yonkou? Who are they?

How many Vice Admirals are there? How powerful are they?

What is the motivation of the Revolutionaries?
To overthrow the WG ofcourse.

Isn't it a tad bit obvious?

Last edited:

ZeroChrome

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Super mystery:

What's with Sanji's left eye? :blink

I've read somewhere that it's one of the seven wonders of OP. dunno where I read that though :p

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Here is some mystery/question I have..
How does selling the grandline in the opposite way work?
Lets say if you start in the middle of grandline, and you want to sail "backwards".. How does it work, since in each island you get the magnetic field of the island and the next one, so the arrow would lead to the next island, and the back of the arrow would lead to the current (or while journing to the next, the previous).
One way to make that possible would be an "eternal pose". these always point to one and the same island. though surely not everyone can get one of these and we haven't seen the only group traveling "backwards" use one (the rolling pirates).

an interesting additional question to this: if they travel that way they are bound to hit the red line / reverse mountain. they can't enter the blues (marines could) so are they going "forward" again? technically there are enough magnet routes to go.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
They may come back, didn't?
The marines and Hancock can travel the Calm Belt... how does they can't go to Raftel?
How long have the Three World Power system existed?
Jimbei became a Shichibukai 8 years ago... the Yonkou cannot left the NW, but 10 years ago Shanks where in Luffy's hometown...
What are the minimum requirements for application to the Shichibukai?
Being enough recognized as someone powerfull and influent. Enough to scary another pirates and keep the balance with the Yonkou.
Who actually leads the WG? The Gorosei? What if they disagree with each other?
Yes, they lead it... they are politics, what if two politics disagree with each other?
How much authority does the WG actually have in the individual kingdoms and islands? Do they have no authority at all in the New World?
The NW is totally lawless...
Does anyone live on Raftel?
Possible.

gao_dargon

Intl Translator
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does all blue exist??
Zoro is an orfan??
how did Gol got sick??
Ace is really Luffy's brother??
how many devil fruits are there??
Where does the devil fruits come from??
if there is only one fruit of each, how come they allready know wich is wich, (or more elaborate, how did the book of DF was writen??)
if you are a DF user and you die, the devil fruit grows again in its original place??
what would happend if Luffy eats a rumblle ball??

Dice

Reaction score
Country
Germany
How the hell is Oda always able to surprise everybody?

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
One way to make that possible would be an "eternal pose". these always point to one and the same island. though surely not everyone can get one of these and we haven't seen the only group traveling "backwards" use one (the rolling pirates).

an interesting additional question to this: if they travel that way they are bound to hit the red line / reverse mountain. they can't enter the blues (marines could) so are they going "forward" again? technically there are enough magnet routes to go.
I think that the grand line working is itself a big net of misteries (the magnetic roads, the logpose, the calm belt, the season islands...)

bittman

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay, updated the first post. I'm definately going to need to group questions under headings, I've already merged a couple of similar questions.

I've also taken liberty with some of the questions to make them cover the mystery a bit better or turn it into more of a question format. If the question wasn't put up, it wasn't a mystery as much as either a guess, prediction or open debate.

What wasn't put up (probably missed something here):
* How does Sailing the grandline the opposite way work? (Answered by Akainu)
* Authority in the New World by WG? (Not answered well enough by Ilovefoxes, there is no evidence to say the entire New World is lawless. How boring would 30 islands like Jaya be after all? I did change the question a bit and put it in though)
* Are there any notable pirates besides Yonkou and Shichibukai? Who are they? (Not a mystery, since no evidence or hints exists and thus more a prediction or question)
* How powerful are VA's? (power question, no thx)
* Akainu's "going forward" again question? (don't quite get what you're saying...)

So yeah, some mysteries changed, some already answered, some not really mysteries and even added a couple given the discussion generated (thanks k-dom). Next time I add, I'll probably group them into categories like:
* Fun mysteries
* Strawhat mysteries
* Government mysteries
* Historical mysteries
* Marine mysteries
* Pirate mysteries
* Devil Fruit mysteries
* World mysteries

Also should note, there are a lot of broad mysteries here, but very little concerning character development. Don't you also wonder about the true course of Moria and Kaidou's battle? That's a mystery too, just not something about the world structure.

Yabe

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Your question about the true course of Moria & Kaidou's battle, plus:
- why were Gan Fall and Eneru the only people from Sky island who don't have wings?
- Gan Fall said that there's another more normal way to go to Skypiea aside from the Knock-up stream, so where is that route?

Last edited:

Diosjenin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mm. I was wondering about Moria v. Kaidou myself. One would have to assume Moria worked under his own power (i.e. no massive superzombies to aid him - and quite possibly no magic scissors, either)... but we've never been given any examples of what Moria can do with just his own power other than absorbing shadows he already has some level of control over. Can he control shadows he hasn't stolen? Can he steal them without cumbersome scissors? Can he create or destroy them? On and on it goes.

But we've seen hints at the power of a Yonkou (most recently Rayleigh, who as former second mate to the Pirate King one would assume is roughly at Yonkou-level power), and they can most likely put a Shichibukai to shame - especially one with obvious, tangible physical weaknesses like Moria. One would have to assume that for a Moria v. Yonkou match, Moria would have to have messed with Kaidou's shadow beforehand (or stolen the shadow of some of Kaidou's upper crewmates, maybe) to make the match even close.

Heck, we don't even know what happened between himself and Kaidou in the first place...

As for my own questions:

1) If (presumably) only Vegapunk knows how to discern the names and powers of Devil's Fruits, why are there named Devil's Fruits out in the wild?

This is a biggie. It's been largely established that Vegapunk is responsible for the technology that allows one to 'scan' a Devil's Fruit to see what power/demon it contains without actually eating it. It's also obvious, given the constant references to the 'book of Fruits' and the fact that Shanks knew Luffy's fruit, that this technology has been around for some time. However, given Vegapunk's employer, this also means that the WG should have a lock on the technology's use. So why do pirates know what fruits are, too?

If Vegapunk's discovery process doesn't actually necessitate having the fruit on your person to 'scan' it, it answers the question above but is a farily dubious technology. It also leaves open the question of why the 'book of Fruits' would be incomplete and has no logical answer, so I'm calling this one wrong.

There might also be a way outside of Vegapunk's technology to discern fruit names, but given that Oda himself has specifically suggested that Vegapunk's fruit tech was around at the time Luffy ate the (known) Gomu fruit, it would be somewhat silly to believe that another method would exist. So I'm calling this one wrong too.

However, assuming the Fruit scanner (or whatever it is) does necessitate the fruit's presence (by far the most likely case), that raises an even bigger question: Why are Devil's Fruits that have passed through WG hands out in the wild? Shouldn't the WG logically want to keep pirates from getting their hands on Fruits - as well as use them to bolster the power in their own ranks? Is Vegapunk's Fruit scanner available to people outside the WG? If so, how did that leave WG hands? Or, barring the scanner's public availability, might there be someone - or several people - inside the WG close to Vegapunk who is/are smuggling Fruits out? And who would even attempt such an act of treason from within the WG, much less get away with it?

2) Who published the book of Devil's Fruits?

One would presume given the circumstances and questions raised in the Mystery above this one that the WG would be the only logical source of knowledge for all known Fruits and powers. Why, then, would they allow that information to become public? Wouldn't someone think that it might encourage the dreamers of the world to become pirates to try and find one?

Side note - answer to Number of Devil's Fruits:

Each Fruit is given a name consisting of two Japanese phonetic characters. There are 46 characters in the Japanese phonetic (hiragana) alphabet. One (romanized as 'wo') functions as a grammar placement only and does not exist as part of any Japanese words, leaving 45 characters. Assuming a) no character repeats within Fruit titles and b) all two-character combinations exist as Japanese words or onomatopoeias, we are left with E(44+43+42+...+2+1) = the sum of integers n from 1 to 44 = n(n+1)/2 = 44(45)/2 = 45*22 = 990 fruits.

Obviously this does not take into account certain Zoan Fruits that may have several models. Since there is no known account of the possible types of Zoan Fruits, nor is there any known limit of models per Zoan (nor do all Zoan fruits necessarily have to have many distinct models - or at least there probably isn't a Hito Hito no Mi, Model: Neanderthal), this is a fairly unquantifiable number to estimate. However, assuming perhaps twenty common animals or animal classifiers (dog, cat, cow, snake, bird, ancient, etc.) and maybe ten to fifteen models per animal (should be obvious enough), we can make a rough guess at 20((10+15)/2) = 250 total Zoan models, or 250+(990-20) = 1220 total Devil's Fruits (most likely a low number due to the unquantifiable but probably low estimation of Zoan fruits).

Which raises another interesting question.

3) How long have Devil's Fruits actually existed/been available?

Let's be honest - a lot of people in the One Piece world have these things. We have 24 known Paramecia (and 7-9 unknown), 13 known Zoan (and 1 unknown), and 7 known Logia - that's 52-54 Fruits by only the first half of the Grand Line. Extrapolate that to the second half, account for another few we may witness before crossing over, and you have maybe 110 Fruits being seen in just this generation of the OP world - which spans maybe thirty years, and would not account for Fruit users that we simply will not witness due to the fact that we have six other paths along the Grand Line that we cannot see all of. Moreover, we have no reason to assume that Fruit consumption at any other generation in time has been any lower.

Let's try accounting for unseen Fruit users in the current OP world by tripling the number we've seen thus far. (Paths do eventually converge - seven goes to one for ~3.5 paths overall, and we've seen some from other paths in the form of the Supernovae, so we can take that down to roughly 3x the amount we'll get to see). This gives us ~330 fruits consumed in one generation of 30 years.

If there's really ~1220 Fruits in existence, and assuming that a given power truly is lost to the rest of the world forever upon consumption, that would put the duration of their existence at roughly 3.7 generations of 30 years apiece, or about 111 years. Even that lifespan assumes that they actually came into existence ~111 years ago and that what we see of them now are the last of the Devil's Fruits - as this is most likely not the case, that lifespan decreases even further, probably to somewhere between 80-50 years old.

In the best-case scenario, a distorted bell-curve could be used to log the progression of Fruit availability. If the current 30-year generational span is taken to be the height of the curve, that still only gives Fruits an existence on the lower end of the hundreds of years mark - likely several hundred years after the WG came into existence.

In any case, Fruits likely could not have existed for all eternity. So how long has it been? If there's a set date, where did they actually originate from?

There's one possible answer to this entire set of questions, which is to throw out the assumption that Fruit powers are totally lost upon consumption. It may very well be the case that when a Fruit user dies, the power is released from their body and returns to it's 'source' - i.e. wherever it is that they come from. This assumption is only supported by statements from characters who themselves don't know much about Fruits, and could very well be false. So:

4) Is gaining a Devil's Fruit power reversible in any way?

As for character mysteries...

5) Seeing as she'd never been to the Grand Line, how did Nico Robin come across her fruit?

This was never explained or hinted at. I want to know.

6) Does Sengoku have a Logia power? Akainu? What is it/are they?

The two Admirals we've actually encountered do. They're more or less the WG's most powerful in-house force... and Sengoku was an Admiral once. There's no real reason to believe that either he or Akainu don't have Logia's of their own. We certainly haven't seen any Paramecia so staggeringly invulnerable...

7) When Ace is released (get real, Oda's not killing him off), will he rejoin the Whitebeard pirates or join the Strawhats?

To some extent that depends on who frees him, I suppose. If Luffy frees him before Whitebeard gets the chance to, I imagine Ace will be pretty torn about who to continue on with...

8) Why would Hancock agree to be a Shichibukai when the WG continues to allow the free reign of her former captors, the Tenryuubito?

I mean, come on, isn't that a pretty massive conflict of interest on her part? Or, faced with WG ships suddenly able to cross the Calm Belt, did she join in the interest of potentially keeping her people out of the Tenryuubito's hands? (She's shown no interest in keeping her people protected from war, so slavery would be the next best idea, but there's still some logical and plot gaps there...).

9) Vegapunk can whip up Devil's Fruit identifiers and cyborgs. He can't invent boat motors?

Seriously? You have cyborgs and your ships still use sails. For that matter, they're still made out of wood. I know the WG is a massive organization and likely a thick bureaucracy is involved. I know that in said bureaucracies, basic needs often go unfulfilled and wacky defense spending projects get way more money than they should. Still... get your priorities straight.

10) Will Franky get upgrades from Vegapunk's technology if (when) the Strawhats meet him?

Oda's already hinted that, at some point, the Strawhats will likely meet up with the mad doc. Franky stands to benefit most from that, doesn't he?

More as I think of them.

- Diosjenin -

Raysen_ht

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
How many sky islands exit?

Why did Drake leave the marines?

How does the balance of the 3 powers really work?
(I mean, the WG need all 3 admirals plus all 7 shishi just to fight WB?? So that means that any of the Youkou can fight evenly against the WG, or that they are just trying to be extra carefull while dealing with WB? Plus, the WG cant trust the Shishi... in more than one ocasion they have shown that they would not follow the rules)

more questions to come...

Nice thread Bittman!! :thumbs

Dice

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Just read some old chapters and now I have a question: What's with Gin? Will we really see him again? Since the SH reach the new world pretty soon he has to be in the new world....
Mhh if this thing deserves to be a mystery? Actually it's the same with some other characters (Buggy, Smoker etc. but it's pretty clear that we will see them again but I don't know about Gin)