Round of 16 - One Piece Tournament 2015 - Bartolomeo vs Vergo | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 One Piece Tournament 2015 - Bartolomeo vs Vergo

Select which fighter advances.

• Bartolomeo

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • Vergo

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Voting Rules:

• Bo16 onwards battles are 1 vs 1.
  • During Bo16, you'll be able to vote up to 24 hours after discussion ends.
  • You may vote for one character in this fight.
  • So you voted early and someone/something changed your mind? You can use the "unvote" function at the top right of the vote box and try again.

Bartolomeo
Vergo

Discussion will end on: October 13
Voting will end on: October 14

Last edited by a moderator:

Sachsenhesse

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Barto. Until now no one could destroy his barriers, Vergo has a nice defense and offense but i think bartos fruit is just to tricky and versatile.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I highly doubt Barto has the physical strength to take down Vergo, much less hurt him. At most, I see this fight ending indecisively for the both of them, with Barto turtling behind his shield and Vergo being unable to break through, but not being able to be harmed greatly himself.

Tonix

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't think we haven't seen anyone try to break Barto's barriers with haki yet, but we did see Bellamy move fast enough to grab Barto before he could put up a barrier so I think it's safe to assume that Vergo could also move fast enough to negate Barto's barriers, since Vergo was shown to as fast as Sanji, if not faster.

I'm voting for Vergo on this one I think.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
To be honest I don't think it's possible in any form or context to actually break barto's barriers. Through the manga we have seen there are DF abilities that work, for a lack of a better analogy, as forces of nature (not in a context relevant to logia). For example, vanderdecken was able to use his fruit to move noah even though decken was by all intents and purposes weak. Doflamingo's bird cage specifically seemed to work on its own after implemented with no further strain to himself and could not be broken even by admirals. It was barely slowed down at all. I would argue that barto's barriers fall within the same category, its strength is absolute and do not depend on barto's strength. It even took the king's punch, arguably one of the strongest attacks we have seen in the manga as a whole.

Now, with that in mind I don't think barto would win this. He would catch vergo of guard once and hurt him (maybe even break something) but then I doubt vergo would fall for it again. Hi speed and remaining limbs would be able to eventually get to barto.

Tonix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I think Oda purposefully refrained from showing any interaction between Barto's barriers and haki/seastone users. I think Seastone at least should be able to break Barto's barriers, and I get the feeling we will see something break his barriers in the future.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Barto. No one break his barrier before and I doubt Vergo can do so as well.

ajc46

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Barto. For mostly the same reason others have pointed out. Vergo is very strong but at this point we haven't seen anyone being able to damage his barriers.
True Bellamy was able to grab him but if Barto was actually fighting seriously and thought his opponent was worth paying attention to then I doubt he would get caught out like that. Only way I can see vergo winning is if he can somehow outsmart Barto. But in an open environment like the arena there's not much he can do.

Edit: having said that though, using the same logic only characters like Doflamingo or fujitora with multidirectional attacks would be able to beat him, but I think others like luffy would realistically win somehow

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Well difficult one here. I doubt Barto can actually break through vergo's haki and defeat him but Bart's barriers are supposedly indestructible. At least thus far. I'm thinking it would come down to who can outlast the other. We already know CoA can run out and vergo coats his entire body so he's using a fair bit of it. On the other hand, I don't think it's possible for Bart to keep his barriers up forever. Wouldn't really make sense. So, who runs out of juice first? Vergo's haki or Bart's barriers? We don't really have anything to gauge so it's speculation. I'd go for vergo though. He's the superior fighter here and has more experience than Bart (both from pirates and the marines). It says a lot that he rose to VA in the marines while also being a top executive. In both his fields, he's just one step from the top.

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Hack broke his hand when he attacked Barto's barrier, who should be on par with Kairoseki. It's those two things that stopped the birdcage, so his barriers are exceptionally hard, almost indestructible.Since we don't know if a Haki user can cut/break kairoseki, then there's a good chance Vergo won't be able to break through Barto's barrier which should be about as hard, and he might even lose his hand in the process if he attacks it directly.
Barto can also use his barriers in a more offensive manner, as seen with Gladius.So here's what I think will happen. Vergo not knowing Barto's power, will attack him directly and the latter should use his barrier to protect himself. Vergo might get some damage from that, so all Barto has to do is keep his barriers up and wait for an opportunity to use his punches coated with his Bari Bari no mi.The advantage given by the barrier is too great, so that's why I think Barto can win this, after Vergo has used up all his energy to break the barriers.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Vergo gives me the impression that he would go for a direct attack while Bartolomeo would use his barrier to avoid Vergo's attack, while waiting for opening to counter-attack him.

As far as it has been seen, Barto's barrier appears to be very strong and durable, and we don't know what its weakness is. Thus I think the hard-headed and arrogant Vergo would not hesitate to go on a crazy head-on in attacking Barto's barrier thinking that his haki coated hands/legs would be able to break it. While in the process, he would suffer huge damage/injuries.

Once Vergo loses his concentration, I believe Barto will attack him with his "Barrier Crash". :teehee

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
This one really was difficult to decide on. I think in the end Vergo has this fight done. Barto doesn't really have anything to actually damage Vergo. All the offensive moves we've seen from Barto would mean nothing against Vergo. His knife attacks can't get through Vergo's haki. His barrier bulls and barrier crash are just not fast enough to make contact with Vergo, who could easily just use soru. Even if they did, Vergo would most likely come out of it without much damage if any at all. Physically Vergo is just much more of a tank even without haki. He's trained in rokushiki. which means he's really too much in hand to hand combat. As for Barto's barriers, they may or may not be indestructable but for now I'll assume they are indestructable. The problem is that if Vergo attacks him once and sees he can't break the barrier he will just go around it the next time. He could just speed blitz Barto as well or even use geppo in the air to attack him from a different direction that the barrier is not at. I don't think Vergo would continue attacking the barrier once he realized he couldn't break it. He may have a temper but he's also not stupid and has over a decade of fighting experience. This can't be the first time he's dealt with something that is too durable for him to damage with straightforward attacks. We saw from the Hakuba moment that Barto has no way of dealing with opponents that are that fast without just putting up a barrier all around himself and just doing nothing. We also know from the fight with Bellamy that he can't form a barrier where there is already something there do if Vergo ever grabs him, the can't form a barrier to block any further assaults. If Barto just puts up a full 360 barrier Vergo could just sit and wait as well, and the moment the barrier is off attack Barto. Vergo doesn't have to have his haki up etc while waiting so it won't tire him out and plus I'm sure Vergo can go without sleep or food longer than Barto.

Last edited:

Syphin

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeah I don't see how Bartolomeo can seriously hurt Vergo.

Ultimately Bartolomeo would run out of energy before Vergo has sustained enough damage to fall.

Vergo is too smart a fighter to not realise the weaknesses in Bartolomeo's barrier ability and Bartolomeo is just not fast enough and strong enough to keep up with someone like Vergo who was able to make someone of Sanji's ability sweat.

Tonix

Reaction score
Country
United States
If it comes down to a stamina contest, Vergo is the clear winner. He is not a mindless brute who would just keep attacking the barrier until Barto can't maintain it anymore, he could actually just sit and wait for Barto to reach his limit, not even using haki.

On the other hand, Barto has to keep his barrier up 100% of the time to avoid being 1 shotted by Vergo, so his energy is going to run out a lot faster. And there is also the fact that Barto can only make 1 barrier at a time, so he can't attack and defend at the same time, and if it comes down to trading blows Vergo will obviously come out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.