On Break - One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion | Page 11 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

On Break One Piece Chapter 1114 Discussion

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
3 things we can predict: SHs to escape, VP clones to survive and VP’s message won’t be interrupted.

Finally, I thought it was interesting that young Tenryubitos aren’t aware of the Void Century (maybe senior Tenryubitos are). Willing to bet none are aware of Imu’s existence either

Also, seems obvious Mother Flame is used to power whatever weapon WG has (whether that’s Uranus or not)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Seeing this I suppose the source of the transmission is obvious... the device containing the mother flame itself. Which puts the gorosei in a bind since they have to stop the signal but the mother flame is indispensable to their plans. I am guessing their calculus here will be that whatever they are planning to do with the mother flame can also solve whatever issues vegapunk's transmission will cause.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It's also weird that vegapunk managed to predict the sea level rising at least one meter... It basically means vegapunk was aware Imu's weapon would be fired at around this time and he was also aware of the consequences. It also means vegapunk is aware the weapon will be fired several more times (I guess 15 more times fits thematically for a total of 16?). And he got this knowledge from studying the void century...

Something worth noting is that you have a weapon that is capable of making the sea level rise but there's something else (pluto?) that has the capacity to make land formations rise from the sea. This is presumably how wano's walls were formed. Perhaps this is also how the red line was formed way back in the day...

A big question I do have is why using Imus' weapon causes the sea level to rise.. You basically disappear an island and leave a hole behind which is deep enough to take ages to fill considering lulusia. Centuries if ennies lobby is the same.. So why does making a hole that reaches so deep cause the sea level to rise? Does the water go somewhere which causes this effect?

meikiyou

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Is it me, or wano looks like a brain from the side?

A&mu in Japanese can be read as Atomu, atom.

Also, ain't the Ursa Major constellation with 108 stars? The suikoden thing? S-108 could be related to the suikoden tale.

Last edited:

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm gunna say the source is with Dragon. He has the funky White DenDenMushi and we had no real context to why Shaka was contacting Dragon at the beginning of the arc. My guess is that Shaka called Dragon to "arm" this den den mushi and prepare for his death and thr subsequent message.

I doubt Shaka just called to tell Dragon he was gunna die and that's it

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I'm gunna say the source is with Dragon. He has the funky White DenDenMushi and we had no real context to why Shaka was contacting Dragon at the beginning of the arc. My guess is that Shaka called Dragon to "arm" this den den mushi and prepare for his death and thr subsequent message.

I doubt Shaka just called to tell Dragon he was gunna die and that's it
Supposedly the trigger for the message is vegapunk's heart stopping.. I'd say its unlikely vegapunk would have risked the message not triggering because he didn't tell dragon to activate it earlier.

LJkAze

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have 2 predictions: 1. I think the Ancient Robot is gonna come get the Mother Flame and leave with the Straw Hats. 2. Mother Flame is gonna be made into a Special Homie for Nami in the future.

Ero-Sanji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
We're getting a flashback now, right?

I'm still not a fan of the gomu gomu fruit retcon but I an happy that Nika and Joyboy are not the same and that Joyboy was thus a devil fruit user. I wouldn't want to see a literal god walking around. This tells us that fantasies themselves can become devil fruits and that all those mythological devil fruits were exactly that myths.

Battle Wolf

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I have 2 predictions: 1. I think the Ancient Robot is gonna come get the Mother Flame and leave with the Straw Hats. 2. Mother Flame is gonna be made into a Special Homie for Nami in the future.
I don't think that Nami can make use of that power source, if it's Big Mom, oh hell yeah that thing gonna be a nuke peon.

Now, the giant robot using it of course gonna be epic.

To me, when Gorosei see that robot they'll get out immediately, that robot is the key to defeat those monsters.

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
With all the telepathic communications that the Gorosei have with each other, wonder if the Imu is able to overhear them talking. We've seen in the past they listen in using den den mushi but now that seems inefficient compared to whatever they are using to chat (I suspect VOAT).

On separate note, so far there hasn't been any single reason why VP:
  • Could not have just started this broadcast immediately and have it on loop
  • Why video is needed since he's just standing there talking
My hopes is he uses the video to show the Mother Flame room. Seems there is a direct connection between the weapon used and the earthquake if he's deeming it unnatural.

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Robin's bounty will go up even more now.
If they can't find the source, they may as well give up and just capture Robin with all the Gorosei because Vegapunk doesn't know the entire history, he only knows some details.
They're better off letting some details get aired rather than let Robin escape because if she escapes, she will eventually have ALL the information which will bring their entire operation to a halt.
I get the fear for any information getting out... but I think they have made a huge mistake by giving up on the Den Den Mushi and focusing on Robin.

At the same time, I guess they don't think the SHs can possibly escape either, so I'm saying this from a reader's perspective. It's easier said than done. Like they say, hindsight is 20/20. So, I guess they're rationale is the best course of action at the moment.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I am the only one who is sort of expecting luffy to at some point get involved in the gorosei's conversation? This seems weirdly similar to how sea kings communicate.

RaisinRisin

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Luffy tried to hurt Warcury in G5 this time and still couldn't, but this time the giants laughed. Guess that's a progression of sorts. 😅

Seriously though, we could be building up to him actually damaging Warcury or at least learning how before they get off the island.

I have no idea what it'd actually do and I assume it wouldn't be fatally effective against an immortal god monster, but PLEASE let Robin unlock awakening in the fight against Saturn. It'd be so CLUTCH
I would love to see this but Saturn's not fighting them anymore; other Elders were telepathically pressuring him to get to the power plant, so he gave up on Robin for now and blew past them to get to the Mother Flame room. (Around the same time he was about to leave I think, Vegapunk was talking about having gotten materials on how to read poneglyphs from archaeologists who were very clearly not Robin herself, so he also may have figured if she's not the last one left who can read them anyway, they might as well deal with her later as he has no time right now.) Maybe it can still happen in a later scenario?

I am annoyed by York. Is anyone else feeling the same thing?
Annoyed how? I'm annoyed with York's betrayal of the other Vegapunks, but it looks like you mean something else. Do you want her to be more of a crafty villain/nemesis for the Stella and other satellites? The way she's been betrayed behaving so desperately, it's almost like she's about to fail and maybe change sides at some point (or even get on board with the BB pirates or something as others suggested in the past).

3 things we can predict: SHs to escape, VP clones to survive and VP’s message won’t be interrupted.

Finally, I thought it was interesting that young Tenryubitos aren’t aware of the Void Century (maybe senior Tenryubitos are). Willing to bet none are aware of Imu’s existence either

Also, seems obvious Mother Flame is used to power whatever weapon WG has (whether that’s Uranus or not)
Interesting, I didn't think of it being because she might be younger. I was expecting she knew the full history but you could be right, if she was fed some false history for those hundred years. That's exactly the kind of thing despots would do to bury inconvenient political narratives, as seen in Wano.

I look forward to Vegapunk confirming things with the Mother Flame. Most likely it's energy (especially based on the Japanese terminology used it should be either energy related or a living thing somehow which seeing as it's in a liquid for some reason is possible), but it could also be radioactive waste (yes, even nuclear fusion produces waste but unlike the waste from fission it's less radioactive and breaks down much sooner).

Seeing this I suppose the source of the transmission is obvious... the device containing the mother flame itself. Which puts the gorosei in a bind since they have to stop the signal but the mother flame is indispensable to their plans. I am guessing their calculus here will be that whatever they are planning to do with the mother flame can also solve whatever issues vegapunk's transmission will cause.

It's also weird that vegapunk managed to predict the sea level rising at least one meter... It basically means vegapunk was aware Imu's weapon would be fired at around this time and he was also aware of the consequences. It also means vegapunk is aware the weapon will be fired several more times (I guess 15 more times fits thematically for a total of 16?). And he got this knowledge from studying the void century...

Something worth noting is that you have a weapon that is capable of making the sea level rise but there's something else (pluto?) that has the capacity to make land formations rise from the sea. This is presumably how wano's walls were formed. Perhaps this is also how the red line was formed way back in the day...

A big question I do have is why using Imus' weapon causes the sea level to rise.. You basically disappear an island and leave a hole behind which is deep enough to take ages to fill considering lulusia. Centuries if ennies lobby is the same.. So why does making a hole that reaches so deep cause the sea level to rise? Does the water go somewhere which causes this effect?
This chapter may have borne out what you were saying in my prediction thread, actually-- the same thing I was asking for clarification just recently, lol. If Vegapunk was basing this message entirely off what his instruments said, that means he doesn't necessarily have to know how the Mother Flame was used. He could just have seen the indications global earthquakes were coming, calculated the sea level rise, and similarly used his genius to work out what the most likely cause was.

With all the telepathic communications that the Gorosei have with each other, wonder if the Imu is able to overhear them talking. We've seen in the past they listen in using den den mushi but now that seems inefficient compared to whatever they are using to chat (I suspect VOAT).

On separate note, so far there hasn't been any single reason why VP:
  • Could not have just started this broadcast immediately and have it on loop
  • Why video is needed since he's just standing there talking
My hopes is he uses the video to show the Mother Flame room. Seems there is a direct connection between the weapon used and the earthquake if he's deeming it unnatural.
Hopefully when he circles back to talking about his first "sin," there'll be a reason for the video requirement?

I am the only one who is sort of expecting luffy to at some point get involved in the gorosei's conversation? This seems weirdly similar to how sea kings communicate.
That would be hilarious. It's got to be Voice of All Things, similar to how Luffy communicated with Momo (and listened in on the Sea Kings' conversation with Shirahoshi as you said). Luffy might not know how to use it yet, but he's also the type of guy to ignore such things until they have some relevance to his goals. I didn't think of Luffy listening in, but I have been thinking for a while now that it might have combat applications of some kind. Luffy has been reading emotions and understanding animals since pretty much the start of the series, and then Rayleigh said some stuff while training Luffy about how his observation haki has special qualities mixed in with it where he can sense emotions. To me that sounds oddly like how Momo was able to tell Yamato and Shinobu how Luffy was doing while fighting Kaidou. (VoAT and haki aren't likely the same thing, but it's possible they could be connected.)

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that we've got the reactions out of the way and gave a brief summary of what's recently transpired, hopefully we'll be able to focus on Vegapunk's words and reveals next chapter.

It's very interesting to see some of the small details revealed here. It appears that the younger Celestial Dragon's have been kept in the dark regarding the origins of their privilege. Not sure if it'll lead anywhere, but that feels significant.

Doffy, as hinted in Dressrosa, most likely knows a bit more than about things than the average person. His immediate solution basically to invade Marie Joise for safety. I'm really curious as to how much he truly knows, because it feels like he put that together quickly.

The Gorosei have straight up skipped over Robin and have chosen to silence Vegapunk as he's the immediate threat. Robin could eventually reveal the truth later down the line, but Vegapunk is about to reveal all now. Honestly, this was a poor call on their behalf. Vegapunk himself states he doesn't have all of the information. But Robin has the capability to learn what Vegapunk couldn't. It would suck for the moment, but she still feels like the greater threat down the line.

And we finally get to see Saul, alive and well...and, seemingly, not at all burned or anything. He was one of the names tossed out to be the "Man Marked by Flames", but he looks pretty unmarked to me.

And then we learn that Joy Boy was the first Pirate in their world which is kinda interesting, but not really? At least, not to me. I'm more curious as to how he got the abilities of Nika and the implicaitons around that.

Oh, almost forgot about the Mother Flames...it sure is some fire in a fish bowl. Seriously, not much to go on really. Except, it's exactly how I imagined it.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I have no idea what it'd actually do and I assume it wouldn't be fatally effective against an immortal god monster, but PLEASE let Robin unlock awakening in the fight against Saturn. It'd be so CLUTCH
I see what you did there! Would be cool if she could use her power inside bodies and whatnot, kill someone from the inside.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
This chapter may have borne out what you were saying in my prediction thread, actually-- the same thing I was asking for clarification just recently, lol. If Vegapunk was basing this message entirely off what his instruments said, that means he doesn't necessarily have to know how the Mother Flame was used. He could just have seen the indications global earthquakes were coming, calculated the sea level rise, and similarly used his genius to work out what the most likely cause was.

That would be hilarious. It's got to be Voice of All Things, similar to how Luffy communicated with Momo (and listened in on the Sea Kings' conversation with Shirahoshi as you said). Luffy might not know how to use it yet, but he's also the type of guy to ignore such things until they have some relevance to his goals. I didn't think of Luffy listening in, but I have been thinking for a while now that it might have combat applications of some kind. Luffy has been reading emotions and understanding animals since pretty much the start of the series, and then Rayleigh said some stuff while training Luffy about how his observation haki has special qualities mixed in with it where he can sense emotions. To me that sounds oddly like how Momo was able to tell Yamato and Shinobu how Luffy was doing while fighting Kaidou. (VoAT and haki aren't likely the same thing, but it's possible they could be connected.)
Welp, readings in machines couldn't have possibly predicted the earthquake. Since there's no reason the attack on lulusia would be shown in vibrations from before the attack. Since it's in no way a natural phenomenon. I would still stress that "fate" of some type is at play here and vegapunk's knowledge of the void century is what brought this about. Add to that I would further stress that roger and co figured out they were 20 years too early. Oden knew that some 20 years later young folk would step up and take the fight to the worlds powers. Vegapunk knew the attack was going to happen even though this was seemingly a random act by Imu. Was vegapunk indispensable for the attack or would it have happened even if he didn't produce the motherflame? Did someone anticipate the motherflame returning to the world 800 years ago?

Voice of all things sounds possible though it'd be weird if the gorosei can talk with sea kings as well. I suppose it's possible they could but only poseidon has the capacity or authority to order them around. Considering there's a pretty big war coming and the gorosei/imu are likely leading it then perhaps luffy and momo being able to listen in will be crucial to the plot. The gorosei are likely over 800 years old.... And it's clear they are powerful warriors with the skill to match their age. My longstanding theory on them is that the gorosei are in fact powerful conqueror kings from centuries ago... Masters of warfare, both in the battlefield and outside of it. In a massive war like what is coming it'd be deeply problematic to have 5 warriors as powerful as them being able to simultaneously and perfectly coordinate multiple battlefronts through telepathy. Something disrupting this ability seems crucial for the strawhat/pirate side to have a chance.

aster4jaden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Something I found interesting Shalria has no idea what the Void Century, I actually presumed the Celestial Dragons did know about the Void Century and was one of the reasons why they saw themselves as being so superior.

Is it only the younger Celestial Dragons are unaware of the Void Century or all of them barring the Gorosei and Imu.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Going of my earlier comment about the chess color page... A player starts with 16 pieces (king, queen, 2 rooks, 2 knights, 2 bishops, 8 peons). The weapon used against lulusia fired 16 beams. I am wondering if perhaps the theme behind imu's forces and of course his side during the void century was based on chess. Chess is also a bit of a recurring theme in the manga, it'd be interesting if this is due to it's historic significance to the plot. A similar point can be made about card decks as well though. Maybe joyboy's side had the card theme...

Onichan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
I just.....I dunno....I'm tired of the HUGE reveals basically being shit we already know.
You need to look at it differently:
The readers know, but not the inhabitants of the One Piece world. Everyone can now connect the dots - Luffy is the chosen one. Anyone who at least knows that he has the "Gum Gum".

Yes, it may be tedious to read this repetitively, but now the inhabitants are on the same page as us.

2mytrompess

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Greece
So it seems that Vegapunk knows that the use of the Mother Flame or whatever it powers correlates to the earthquake + the rise of the sea level.

Maybe is either because of the amount of damage it can cause, or maybe the Mother Flame when created or used draws energy from somewhere else, thus creating this phenomena. Or is just that Vegapunk knows that the WG possesses an ancient weapon and it was used in the void century, causing the same earthquake.

Saying to disregard the message however, if the earthquake/water level rise didn't happen meant he was either not sure if it could cause this, based on the few facts he's gathered, or he thought the WG was not going to use it (yet).

We just have to wait a bit (these cliffhangers hurt :D )

OmegaChan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Suprisingly many were ready to die on that hill. But I think lot of them just thought of Mother Flame only as the weapon application in Lulusia (which we still not 100% know was only due to Mother Flame) , and not as a power source/something we don't quite fully understand yet.

I guess this chapter confirms a lot of stuff we knew for like 90-99% for a fact, to be facts. But still so slow. I have a feeling Oda is dragging this for pacing, like something needs a full chapter to be told, but some things also need to be set, so he is dragging other bits along the setup. Atleast I really hope so.
You sure? 1113 and 1114 could have easily been written in one chapter.

What a terrible terrible chapter.

You would have thought a "genius" or someone who stores a lot of knowledge in their brain has the awareness of how important good timekeeping is, as well as being concise in a speech triggered by a dead switch.