Anime - What's coming next! (Manga spoilers included) | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Anime What's coming next! (Manga spoilers included)

NonExisted

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
^That'd be the most frustrating cliff hanger anime end I've ever seen :bored

Sullyan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I don't buy the actual manga. So I go off on the internet manga, like
www.mangahere.com/manga/d_gray_man/

the anime cut off during the events in chapters 157. We're on chapter 221 and 222 is coming out Apr. So that's 65 chapters. But really close to 70. because since the manga came back from hiatus, the chapters have been extra long.

One chapter on average is around 20-21 pages. The 1st chapter after the hiatus, 219 was 54 pages. Then chapter 220 was 40 pages. Then 221 which was 40 or 50. So these past 3 chapters have given near 6-8 chapters worth of story.

So, provided they don't do an Inuyasha Final Act or Bleach and try to rush+cram canon, they have a good bit of story to work with. The manga chapters are released every 3 months. So unless something happens - regarding Hoshino's health, DGM chapters should be out every January, April, July, and October. So the manga may be able to stay ahead a while.And it depends on the anime. They may release new episodes weekly. Or they may release new episodes every 2 weeks.

So the anime had around 70 chapters worth of story to go on. And like all anime out there, most likely, there is gonna be some filler. Either extended scenes/stories, or new stuff added.

I think I read that Hoshino was supervising the anime. If that was true and not just rumor crap, then maybe she'll share with the anime team some things she wanted to have in the manga. I think of Kubo with Bleach. The anime had a filler story with Rukia meeting Ashidou, a shinigami in HM. Kubo said he had plans to introduce him in the manga, but didn't due to time. So they included him in the anime.

I think the anime will be good for at least a solid season.
And this Lost Fragment Of Snow from where they can get a few chapters. Not many, but a few.

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
And this Lost Fragment Of Snow from where they can get a few chapters. Not many, but a few.
LFoS fits only an episode, 2 or more would be too much

Sullyan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain

Silverwolf442

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The history of Rou Fa, if somewhat silly, can give another chapter.
Weren't there some other stories in addition to LFOTS? If so, that's nice material.

It was also be cool in the anime team checked Hoshino's Insta and used some of her drawings as omakes for the end of episodes.

Last edited:

MSofAofCOCA

Reaction score
Country
United States
The history of Rou Fa, if somewhat silly, can give another chapter.
That would be nice... Especially if they fit it like right before they head out for the whatever mission with the 3rds. Adds some nice and cute ship character development that will then get crushed, lol. :evil

Weren't there some other stories in addition to LFOTS? If so, that's nice material.

It was also be cool in the anime team checked Hoshino's Insta and used some of her draws as omakes for the end of episodes.
The first two volumes had some other stories: about Mother and Babar (which iirc was covered as one of the "fillers" in the first season), then there was one joke story where half of the Order got drunk and played poker, one describing the Earl's day-to-day activities in a sort of storybook style, one debuting Bak Chang and his crush on Lenalee (even before he was intoduced in the anime) and a story about a mission Lavi and Bookman went on before they met Allen.

I highly doubt they will do the Earl story, the one about the party in the Order or the one with Mother and Babar, since they're either mostly irrelevant to current events or were already shown. Though they might serve well as omake material. I think Lou Fa's story has potential and can still be fit in, then obviously LfoS, and I think they can save Lavi's story for when his character arc debuts.

Afaik, the novels were canon so manga aside, they've some additional info to work off of.

I think I posted it before, but there's a nice link collection here for the novel fan translations. I think most of the links still work.

And good idea! I would love some omake based off of Hoshino's instagram! Like her older drawing, about the character's favorite types of drinks.

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does it say what's happening on 3/26?

Something, 40 min. is coming next month. Does it say what? Or is that the top secret thing? lol

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Something, 40 min. is coming next month. Does it say what? Or is that the top secret thing? lol
There will be a DGM participation on Anime Japan on that date. I saw PV somewhere in the text, but i don't know if it refers to DGM.
I thought we finally had a month of premiere, but we don't.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada

I gave a run down which is still visible on the last page of the spoiler-free anime thread:
It's going to be a special event with a new video and Ayumu Murase + others from the new cast doing a "talk show." :)

Silverwolf442

Reaction score
Country
United States
I gave a run down which is still visible on the last page of the spoiler-free anime thread:
Wow my prediction was right! lol I figured it'd be a panel or interview of some kind.

But some were saying the anime was debuting then.

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
The event is lottery ticket winners only so I will only count the 2nd pv and cast announcement _(:3 」∠)_

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The event is lottery ticket winners only so I will only count the 2nd pv and cast announcement _(:3 」∠)_
Pretty much. :') A new preview will be exciting to see though, and it'll be good to get an extended cast list. The actual air date would be awesome to have by then if possible. (Maybe somebody who got in will post a clip or two from the "talk show" portion on Youtube after, but I guess we can't hold our breath...)

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Pretty much. :') A new preview will be exciting to see though, and it'll be good to get an extended cast list. The actual air date would be awesome to have by then if possible. (Maybe somebody who got in will post a clip or two from the "talk show" portion on Youtube after, but I guess we can't hold our breath...)
A clip would be impossible, but I hope for a slight review ;v;

Chloesong

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm surprised there wasn't a thread created yet!
MANGA SPOILERS PROBABLE in thread. Spoiler alert!
It seems not so long ago that the indefinite hiatus ended and the elusive Hoshino-sensei entered social media. Now, we're going to get an unexpected anime so quickly, in fact, just a few months later!! As a huge DGM, I'm so happy. :grin2

The second PV came out on March 26th:

In case you missed it, the first PV:

Confirmed airing date of July 2016!!
Official Website: http://dgrayman-anime.com/
Staff List/VA: http://dgrayman-anime.com/caststaff/
Sample of Allen, Lavi, Kanda VA at AnimePanel 2016:
Allen's VA at AnimePanel 2016, you can hear him VA Allen in the beginning as well.
Allen sounds great! The VA is famous as Hinata in Haikyuu and Recon.
Lavi sounds impressively exactly the same.
Kanda sounds deeper.
That music is so nostalgic.
Why no Lenalee too ;_;

My thoughts on the new name "Hallow" and 2nd PV:
For some reason, when I heard it would air in 2016, I assume 2016 Winter Cour. I can't believe its airing in July!

"Hallow": I really like the new name "Hallow". Hallow means "to make sacred" which goes with the themes of religion, good and evil, and the exorcist order. But Hallow also reminds me of "halloween" which I always thought sort of captures the atmosphere of D.GM at least in the earlier chapters (pumpkins, ghosts, haunted places). Hallow also sounds like hollow, which echoes the "empty puppet" theme of DGM. Since the new anime isn't just a 3rd season, I think its a fitting title for the reboot.

From the PV, it looks like we'll get the Timothy/Thief G arc as well as the Alma arc. That's a lot to cover, so I assume the season will end with Allen getting locked up or when he runs away.

I think the new animation looks amazing. It's been years since the last anime, so even just the buildings and scenery look so crisp and nice. My only snag is that, although Kanda, Lenalee, and Link, look great, Allen seems drawn a little off. Something about his eyes looking a little too blue or round, and his hair is a bit too choppy. It's too early to say clearly. It might be just that Hoshino's sensei's art changes so much over the years. After Allen's talk with Cross and Cross's "death", his eyes were always a bit more glazed over/cynical/broken/sad than before.
http://www.mangatown.com/manga/d_gray_man/c169/14.html

Of random note, in the first opening scene of the 2nd PV, the coloring of Timcampy looks just like the coloring of the sensei in Assassination Classroom. I half expected Allen to stretch Tim's cheeks.

Last edited:

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
It's a pity that the new anime can't afford the old cast, but I have hope in the new voices. :amuse
I think it's mentioned in the stage that the word "Hallow" was Hoshino-sensei's idea based on the meaning behind Kanda's name.
I have been wondering why we have discussed about the anime in just the anime hangout thread...

Chloesong

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's a pity that the new anime can't afford the old cast, but I have hope in the new voices. :amuse
I think it's mentioned in the stage that the word "Hallow" was Hoshino-sensei's idea based on the meaning behind Kanda's name.
I have been wondering why we have discussed about the anime in just the anime hangout thread...
Ah! Of course, Hoshino-sensei hersefl would have a hand in the fitting name. What's the meaning behind Kanda's name? :O?

Do you mean they literally couldn't afford to pay for the old cast :O?

Is there an anime hangout thread? I hope its it kk to make one here too. And lol ty for opening and reading my comments. I was halfwondering if anyone would bother to do so XD

-----------

So, the 2006-2007 (!!) anime ended covering Ch. 157-164. That would make it perfect for DGM Hallow to start at Ch. 165, on the boat (which you can see in the 2nd PV), when Lenalee and Johnny tease Allen about him using honorifics. I've always wanted to see that scene anime so I"m excited! But, it would be nice if they made an omake or something of "The Case of the Black Order's Destruction". I always thought the Komui's hijicks were funny.

I hope the anime is funny, action packed, artistic, and follows the rich dialogue of the manga. I hope it becomes popular so we can get more seasons. :zomg

At a certain point, the manga style became unusally gritty, bloody, and violent (and then changed again later): http://www.mangatown.com/manga/d_gray_man/c182/11.html
http://www.mangatown.com/manga/d_gray_man/c182/18.html
It was hard to distinguish what was what sometimes because of all the blood. I wonder how the anime plans to adapt scenes like this: http://www.mangatown.com/manga/d_gray_man/c182/17.html

So many scenes I'm excited to see. I hope they don't cut out flashbacks of Allen's past.

Last edited:

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Ah! Of course, Hoshino-sensei hersefl would have a hand in the fitting name. What's the meaning behind Kanda's name? :O?
Kanda (lit: "sacred rice field") is a field that is especially used to raise rice for offering. And Kanda is an artifical Exorcist who was raised for the war, in other words, to become a sacrifice for God.

There is a subbox for the anime ;v;

Last edited:

Chloesong

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah! I see it! Under DGM Theater right? xD; I...don't know if I posted this thread in the right place. My bad!

Chloesong

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nothing in particular was said about which arcs they will adapt, however they said that this won't be a reboot, therefore it will start right where the level 4 akuma arc/invasion of black order arc ended. and judging by Alma's presence, it is 100% that these arcs will be animated;

Destruction of black order arc
Disappearance of cross Marian arc
Phantom thief G arc
Third exorcists arc
Mystery of kanda arc/alam karma arc

However it is unknown if the last two arcs (seed of destruction, search for Allen Walker arc) will be animated.

Also considering that the phantom thief G arc has no importance to the plot and that recently it has become a trend In anime to actually delete the un-important arcs (part 1 episodes of 2012 JJBA anime for example) it is possible that it won't be animated.
I didn't really like the Phantom thief G arc THAT much (besides the scenes where Allen was checking Cross's message, Allen and Link bonding over the "just got to wipe your face" scene, the humor, such as when the gang got stuck in jail, etc), but it was pretty important story-wise considering how Allen stabs himself and unlocks Neah's message to the Earl. It also introduces the strength of the 3rd exorcists, transitions to Neah (remember when Lenalee wakes up and sees Neah). Also during the Theif G arc, Kanda's guilt increases because he notices that Neah is taking over. After the Alma Karma arc, during the Search for A.W. arc, Kanda specifically mentions that he felt he had to return to the order because Kanda didn't help/care when Allen showed signs of turning into the 14th during the Thief G arc.

In retrospect, maybe the Thief G arc wasn't that bad. Also the anime would have to cover Thief G arc because it introduces a new exorcist and it would be strange to cut out Timothy's story.

So I think Thief G arc would definitely be animated.

Soo excited to see the manga animated again. Trying to keep my internal hype down. :) I think I'm looking forward most to seeing Allen's past self and interactions with Mana.

Btw, is the voice actor for Mana the same VA as for the Earl?

NonExisted

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Btw, is the voice actor for Mana the same VA as for the Earl?
Mana's VA hasn't been announced yet, but it's too obvious already.....