Hardware - PC Hardware, Building, and Advice | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hardware PC Hardware, Building, and Advice

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
They do. If it comes with a discrete GPU, it'll have its own dedicated memory (often either 1GB or 2GB).

- - - -

So uh, what will you be using the laptop for? Casual stuff, or will it be a workhorse?

It's important so we know what parts to look out for, you see. If it's a casual machine, you really don't need more than 4GB of RAM, but if it's otherwise, you might benefit from more.

If it's a casual machine, you could most definitely get by with a ultrabook-class CPU, but if it's a workhorse, you might benefit from the performance of a standard CPU.

See what I'm getting at?

- - - -

Now my opinion is....

That Toshiba laptop you linked is no good. At the budget you've got, avoid AMD CPUs altogether, as Intel CPUs generally outperform them across the board.

When it comes to brand, I tend to put brand somewhere near the bottom of the list in things to look out for, my belief is all brands have their good and bads. By that, they all make solid high-end stuff and they also make cheap low-quality low-end stuff. It's just the general nature of the business when you need to bring things to the market that need to range from the very low to the very high. I've seen far too many people slag a certain brand off when they bought their cheapest laptop and expect it to perform like their most expensive, and when it doesn't they're all like XYZ brand Is T3h suxXorz donT bUy dEm. =/

Of course, I'm not saying bad brands don't exist, if they legitimately have a bad track record (I know HP did in the past) then, well yeah, it's best to avoid them.

What I do look for in a laptop though is.....the storage. Forget about CPU and RAM right now, storage is most important at the moment.

The holy grail of storage is like so, from best to worst: SSD, HDD + SSD, HDD.
The storage is the first thing one should look at because it's easily the biggest bottleneck in a PC. There's no point in having the highest-end mobile CPU if you're paring it with a 5400 rpm HDD. A decent CPU plus an SSD would probably give the same overall experience, if not a better one.

To put it into context, what I'm saying is there really is no point in you spending $700 on the best gear that has a mechanical HDD, if I can get one for $500 that has less decent gear but has SSD caching. My $500 one would feel just as fast as your $700 one (but I would have $200 in my pocket).

This is the main reason why ultrabooks and Macbook Airs are so popular (not price-wise, but performance-wise).

But not everybody can afford a laptop with a SSD, or not everybody can live with the capacity restrictions of an SSD. So we have a hybrid in the form of a HDD paired with a SSD (which is commonly used for caching, so they're commonly small amounts (anywhere from 24 to 40GB)).

To put into context, quick browse on Best Buy gives:

$699 - Lenovo U310 - 13.3", 500GB + 32GB SSD cache
$695 - HP Envy 14 - 14", 500GB + 32GB SSD cache
$674 - Acer S3 - 13.3", 128GB SSD
$649 - Dell Inspiron 14z - 14", 500GB + 32GB SSD cache
$649 - Samsung NP540 - 13.3", 500GB + 24GB SSD cache
$658 - Asus S56 - 15.6", 750GB + 24GB SSD cache

In the 600-700 bracket, I would look at those laptops first, and then trickle down if they're not to your liking.

e.g: if a 13" display is far too small, the the Asus is the only stand out so far, etc.

And then next we have all sorts of little things to choose like CPU, RAM, and display size, etc etc etc. But we need to determine what you're most likely to use the laptop for first.

- - - - - -

And now the elephant in the room.

The elephant in this room is Haswell. Intel's next microarchitecture. The first wave of CPUs should be a couple of months away. As a rule of thumb, I never recommend to buy new stuff if something newer is around the corner. New thing comes out, and the old stuff drops in price, right. To give an analogy, I'd hate to be the guy who buys an iPhone 5 a few days before the announcement of the iPhone 6.
Well, I intend on using the laptop for work and for every day stuff. As far as work I just need standard stuff, my work does not particularly require huge amounts of horsepower. It is more for my private stuff that I could really use a few improvements. The improved performance from having an SSD would definitely be convenient for both things though. It is for my private stuff for which I could use an improvement. I do some casual gaming so I wouldn't mind a laptop which could yield better results. A nicer screen, an HDMI output, better speakers... basically a device more suited for media consumption. As far as display I would prefer a 15-16 display.

Well, that is definitely something to look for. My main issue there would be that the opportunity for me to upgrade would be gone by then. As I mentioned earlier I am not desperate to upgrade either though, its more of an opportunity that presented itself so perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to wait and see what happens later. By the time the new architecture is out there it will make more sense to change my laptop than right now on every regard....

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
What would be the best for battery life? I mean, using this loaner laptop made me realize ohw much I should have focused on battery instead of high-end performance and graphics.
Does the loaner have awesome battery life or something? IMO, combination of three factors, in no particular order: CPU, battery, screen.

A larger screen will consume more power than a smaller screen. Having a larger battery is always a good thing. A power hungry CPU will consume more power than a lesser CPU.

e.g: your Sony laptop with the quad-core prcocessor. It's a 45W CPU. The ULV processors that go in the MacBook Air/ultrabooks are 17W. Granted, the former would have better performance, but the latter come with SSDs so it never feels slow. You'd probably only notice the difference in benchmarks. To put into perspective, the ARM SoC that goes into tablets are ~5W. Less power, more hours.

Well, that is definitely something to look for. My main issue there would be that the opportunity for me to upgrade would be gone by then. As I mentioned earlier I am not desperate to upgrade either though, its more of an opportunity that presented itself so perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to wait and see what happens later. By the time the new architecture is out there it will make more sense to change my laptop than right now on every regard....
Well on the flipside, you'll have more money saved up to buy something even better, if the opportunity arises again. It's really just a matter of if you can wait it out if there isn't a necessary need. It's understandable if your laptop's broken down and you need it now, but that's not the case.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
It lasts about four hours, at least, I think. Not 100% sure though. But it's a Lenovo, small and all that jazz.

I know. It's why I bought a larger battery. However, do you know what would be a good battery for VPCF1390x?

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Uhh, it's a laptop, so there's not much choice? Either you buy the largest battery Sony can offer or you buy some dodgy brand-you've-never-heard-of that states it'll fit your laptop from eBay or something....

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Re: Computer Hardware, Systems and Building

Yo people, this thread needs a revival and I actually have a question. Anyone here has good knowledge about specs to look for in a gaming monitor? Apart from the "go for low ms and high Hz".

For instance this one:
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/deskt...led-gaming-monitor-21312124-pdt.html#longDesc

Looks like an ideal gaming monitor. Super low response time, the ideal Hz (120+ instead of the standard 60) etc. Is there anything it lacks? I can't really find any better options in terms of specs I know about vs price at my national delivery sites. It's also slightly cheaper on my sites than on the English one I linked.

Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I have no idea, how the monitor is in terms of price, but I know that in terms of specs and tech is a good one...

LED monitors usually have less power consumption, and yet the colours and contrasts are better than the traditional LCD ones, so that's good...other than that, full HD is pretty cool, even though there aren't so many games that can offer that capability, but it's good for movies...

Perhaps you might refine your search and look for something with lower power consumption...LED is generally cool with that, but it's still a big monitor so, you might check that...

Otherwise looking at it it's a good investment too...if there's something similar, but cheaper, then go for that, if not, this one looks good enough IMO

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
Reaction score
Country
Norway
I want it that big (24") since I'm going to use it for gaming etc. I don't want bigger, and I don't think I want a smaller one either.

In terms of power consumption I don't care for at least another year, since I have a set price monthly which includes electricity, broadband etc. (student deal), however since I'm at my last year of my Master's I'll likely find a non-student apartment next year, so maybe power consumption should be a small focus. It's something I didn't think about at all to be honest.

The thing is, as far as I've searched, it's the best monitor with very low response time (ms) combined with high hz, given the price. Most monitors around that price have 60hz. The thing is I can get a pretty "close" monitor, say with 4ms or maybe even 2ms, but with 60hz for almost half the price. The thing is I honestly don't know how big the difference from 60 to 120hz is. So if anyone could enlighten me a little at that front it'd be great.

Knifeshade

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Since this thread is kinda dead atm, I guess I'll post a pic of my 6 year old system recently moved into a comfy new case (also replaced gfx card and finally upgraded to a SSD)

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
The case - is it atx or btx design?

I have a btx case, younger brother changed the old atx case.

I must say I prefer the BTX model. Do you have any preference?

How's the SSD? I haven't made the jump to SSD (yeah I know neeewb)

but while at a tech hardware store I've seen a hybrid version.

SSD With standard HDD. Anyone heard anything on these babies?

Last edited:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice case and design - yeah the fusion one seems like a good option to just have the OS on for fast boot time.
Whenever I see new stuff like this, I want to get my hands on it lol.

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
thats the same kind of tech addiction i have...its hard to temper xD

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I could use some advice.

So in a display of extremely poor judgment I upgraded to Windows 8.1 (shoulda known better). Naturally various graphics driver related unpleasantness ensued. Long story short I finally got my onboard graphics working but my PCIe card a Geforce GTX 560 has gone dark and, since it's PCIe, installing it disables integrated graphics resulting in black screen (can't even access the boot menu)

So basically does anybody happen to know if there's a way to prioritize integrated graphics over PCIe so I try to can figure out what in holy hell windows 8.1 did to my graphics card?

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
thats a tough one...you happen to have the error log? did this happen on 8 also or just 8.1?

to prioritize onboard over discrete, the option is usually in bios. usually gives the option of onboard vs pci-e, but that depends on the bios...

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
What Sai Said - you probably or most likely have to check the bios stetting.

Hmmm... take out the pcie card that you added and your pc should load normally? Check if you can access the bios - choose the pci-e option if available. Shutdown then add the pci-e card back and see if that resolves the issue.

I switched back to windows 7 - I heard that windows 8.1 was supposedly a smoother transition and some issues or flaws were fixed.

Last edited:

Sai

THE MH FOODIE
Tech
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
I'm on windows 8.1. I did have to upgrade my graphic card though since my old Radeon card kept having driver issues. it was a 4870 iirc.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I wonder what other differences does Windows 8.1 have compared to the regular Windows 8 (aside from the Start button returning?). Whenever I visit the Store on my PC I always see that big offer to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free. Should I really do it?

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've heard from other's that there is some good improvement and smoother transition in the upgrade to 8.1.

I personally have not experienced windows 8 much since I reverted back to 7and never tried the upgrade.

Perhaps Sai or some other 8 users can chime in on this.