Info - 2017 Anime Awards Information Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info 2017 Anime Awards Information Thread

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Welcome to the 2017 Anime Awards!

It's that time of year again to vote for the best of the best in the anime world. This time, however, the focus will be on anime that aired during this past year. What studio impressed you with their quality and creative direction in animation? What anime did an outstanding job translating a novel or manga into a fluid media? Which voice actors and actresses were able to bring their characters to life? These are some of the categories in which you will be able to nominate and subsequently vote for your series, studio, etc of choice.

Aside from a couple categories, this year we have decided to focus on anime that aired in 2016, including anime that aired in fall 2015 and carried over into 2016 (2 cour series). If you are confused on what is eligible or not, please feel free to contact any of us that are involved in running this project.

Here are some links to help you out:

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2015/tv
https://www.livechart.me/winter-2016/tv
https://www.livechart.me/spring-2016/tv
https://www.livechart.me/summer-2016/tv
https://www.livechart.me/fall-2016/tv

The nomination round will end Sunday, January 15th, 2017. Please choose up to 3 options.

Nomination Rules
  • You are allowed up to three nominations.
  • Please clearly state the anime you are nominating as well as any further specifics (e.g. characters) if required.
  • Please bold all your nominations.
  • The six entries with the most nominations will proceed to the next round.
  • Do not post nominations to this thread.
If you want to change your nominations, please quote your original nomination post and clearly state which nominations you want to change along with your new nominations.

2017 Anime Awards Categories

• Best Drama of 2016
  • Best Full Cast of 2016
  • Best Fight of 2016
  • Best Anime Adaptation of 2016
  • Best Sci-Fi of 2016
  • Best Soundtrack of 2016
  • Best Studio of 2016
  • Best Voice Actor/Actress of 2016
  • Best Action of 2016
  • Best Anime of 2016
  • Best Couple of 2016
  • Best Female Lead Character of 2016
  • Best Male Lead Character of 2016
  • Best Supporting Character of 2016
  • Best Mystery/Horror of 2016
  • Best Comedy of 2016
  • Best Opening/Ending Song of 2016
  • Best Villain of 2016
  • Most Disappointing Anime of 2016
  • Best Sleeper Hit of 2016
  • Most Shocking Moment of 2016

Best mystery / horror - Boku Dake ga inai Machi (erased) (15 votes)
Best Male Lead Character - Izuku "Deku" Midoriya (Boku no Hero Academia) (12 votes)
Best Sleeper Hit - Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! (8 votes)
Best Couple - Akihiro X Lafter (Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2) (8 votes)
Best comedy - Sakamoto desu ga? ( 10 Votes)
Best fight - Mob vs Koyama (Mob Psycho 100) -( 11 votes)
Most Disappointing Anime - Taboo Tattoo (13 votes)
Best Anime - Boku no Hero Academia - 15 votes
Best Supporting Character - Tsukishima Kei (Haikyuu!!) (6 votes)
Best Female Lead Character - Megumin (KonoSuba) (10 votes)
Best Villain - The Black King (Drifters) (8 votes)
Best Full Cast - Shokugeki no Soma S2 - (8 votes)
Best Studio - Madhouse - (15 votes)
Best Sci-Fi - Concrete Revolutio: The Last Song - (5 votes)
Best Voice Actor/Actress - Shinichiro Miki - (5 votes)
Best Action - Assassination Classroom 2nd season - (12 votes)
Best Opening/Ending Song - All of (Mob Psycho 100 ED) (10 votes)
Best Anime Adaptation - Mob Psycho 100 - 14 votes
Most Shocking Moment - Assassination Classroom S2 (See comment #16) (14 votes)
Best Soundtrack - Mob Psycho 100 - (7 votes)
Best Drama Hai to Gensou no Grimgar - (6) votes

Best Comedy: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! - 10 votes
Best Fight: Yoshikage Kira vs Higashikata Jousuke (JJBA: DIU) – 7 votes
Best OP/ED Song: 99 (Mob Psycho 100 OP) – 7 votes
Best Couple: Subaru x Rem (Re:Zero) – 16 votes
Best Male Lead: Shigeo „Mob“ Kageyama – 8 votes
Most Disappointing Anime: Berserk (2016) – 18 votes
Best Mystery/Horror: Durarara!!x2 Ketsu – 11 votes
Best Studio: Bones – 15 votes
Best Villain: Yoshikage Kira (JJBA: DIU) – 12 votes
Best Anime Adaptation: Boku no Hero Academia – 9 votes
Best Full Cast: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu – 8 votes
Best Sleeper Hit: Mob Psycho 100 – 9 votes
Best Anime: Mob Psycho 100 – 8 votes
Best Supporting Character: Rem (Re:Zero) – 11 votes
Best Female Lead Character: Aqua (KonoSuba) – 8 votes
Best Sci-Fi: MSG: Iron-Blooded Orphans S2 – 7 votes
Best Voice Actor/Actress: Tomoyo Kurosawa – 5 votes
Best Action: Boku no Hero Academia – 8 votes
Most Shocking Moment: Re:Zero (see comment #5) – 8 votes
Best Soundtrack: Boku no Hero Academia – 10 votes
Best Drama: Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu – 8 votes

:confetti Enjoy! :confetti

Last edited:

Agent Phrank

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
Will there be a manga awards? ♣

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
I'd love a manga awards too :)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
@Sky Question - What does a sleeper hit mean?

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Manga awards will happen later this year like every year. This thread is for Anime Awards only. ;)

@Atomicus
Sleeper Hit means it is an anime that did not have any hype at all before it aired but is still an outstanding Anime in your eyes. Like you had 0 expectations for this but then, daaaaaaaamn.

Static

Reaction score
Country
India
All right, got it, thanks :D!

lakhan220

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Well guys , are 2 out of BIG 3 applicable for nominations ?

Naruto
OP

Static

Reaction score
Country
India

Naruto
OP
They would be considering they continued to air in 2016

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Naruto
OP
All shows which still aired in 2016 do count.
I really have to apologize (not my day). I did read my own rules wrong.

So to say it again for everything:

"Aside from a couple categories, this year we have decided to focus on anime that aired in 2016, including anime that aired in fall 2015 and carried over into 2016 (2 cour series)"

This is absolute.
Meaning ONLY shows which STARTED to air in Fall 2015 AND carried over to 2016 as well as shows that did START at any point in 2016 are eligible.

Sorry for the confusion. You are of course allowed to change your nominations.

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
That sucks lowkey... it was some good parts in both Naruto and FT in 2016

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That sucks lowkey... it was some good parts in both Naruto and FT in 2016
This is done to prevent long-running shows from dominating the Awards. We had this in the past, for example with One Piece. We want to focus on titles that actually aired this year, otherwise we probably would have a bunch of categories going to the same series over and over, which isn't exactly fun or the goal behind the yearly Awards. It is to honour series that stood out during the respective year.
The Fall 2015 rule is to make it a bit less strict, if one half or even more of a show aired in 2016, it would be unfair to remove them just because they started airing slightly before 2016.

Again, sorry for all the trouble. It's not a rule set in stone yet, so after the Awards are over members are more than welcome to share their opinion and we will consider them for the next Awards.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is done to prevent long-running shows from dominating the Awards. We had this in the past, for example with One Piece. We want to focus on titles that actually aired this year, otherwise we probably would have a bunch of categories going to the same series over and over, which isn't exactly fun or the goal behind the yearly Awards. It is to honour series that stood out during the respective year.
The Fall 2015 rule is to make it a bit less strict, if one half or even more of a show aired in 2016, it would be unfair to remove them just because they started airing slightly before 2016.

Again, sorry for all the trouble. It's not a rule set in stone yet, so after the Awards are over members are more than welcome to share their opinion and we will consider them for the next Awards.
Yeah I see where you guys are coming from. For Shippuden I can understand totally but with FT I really only picked characters/scenes that appeared in 2016 since it ended in March. The Zero arc was the only thing that aired and 2 episodes from Avatar. Not complaining though, I just ain't know.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I understand very well and totally agree on giving a chance to other series considering as as usual , it would be frustrating to see series like ft or db just win everything but at the same time those series belong to stuff aired (it hurts for Gintama ♥ yep i'm totally biased
), and some of them definitely deserves to appear in the contest, gintama , & Hq were flawless, this season, i's hard just to ignore them and not give them at least in some categories a chance to compete.
Also what about Haikkyuu (started in 2012), Drrr sarted in 2010 ( they re in basically the same case than gintama, they are not new series with new cast, new realisation like Berserk & DGM hallow, they're basically long running stuff with breaks, even if Mal stated them as different series which is totally wrong & misleading, even Ass class (started in jan 2015). I definitely support the rule, but it's bad for me i don't watch that much animes, and Gintama & haikyuu , DRRr were definitely my faves.
.So maybe it would be great to think of some (just 1 or 2) categories next time that includes longer running stuff
, just a suggestion, though im totally fine withy the rule. ;)

Edit :
I fixed i think all my gintama nominations, my apologies if i forget something, do i have to remove Hq too ?

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah Erin that's really my only thing cause when I was putting in my votes I just realized.... I barely watch much :D. I'm a scrub when it comes to this. I watch one-court animes for kinks (:eyeroll) most of the time, unless it's a great show on tap like MHA... but really I only follow Naruto (when it became canon material), FT, DBS (hate the japanese voices) etc. Mainstream long-runners like shit. Shows like My Wife is the Student Council Prez, Dagashi, Keijo, Hundred, Erased I just either picked randomly or got recommended to watch it. I hope it can be a middle ground for the next awards. I get the spam would be crazy on it, just look at most of my posts.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
@Erinyes it's less about when an actual series started but if they continued for years without a break. You can't compare Naruto or FT to Durarara for example, Durarara had more or less 5 years between it's first installment, and a sequel. There's no way you can call them one big ongoing series, even if they belong to the same franchise. I can see your argument regarding series that only had a break for one season, and then continued (bc they're usually produced together, otherwise another release so soon is impossible), like Fate/Stay Night:UBW, but we have to go by something to make it easy and comprehensible for everyone, and MAL is the best choice to do that.

I don't like or comprehend some of their decisions either, for example Rem from Re:Zero still counting as a supporting character despite being a clear main character later on, but if everyone nominates just with his/her "subjective" view, then we're in for a mess xD
I agree though, something to honour long-running shows feels necessary for the next awards :nod
But yes, Haikyuu Season 2 is still viable, it started in Fall 2015 and continued for another season in 2016, so that's within the rules.

@Doughboy that's the whole point. I think the majority here follows the big long-running ones, which ultimately leads to them dominating the awards. I understand your concerns though, we will see what we can do regarding that next time :)
[admin=niichan]Guys, this isn't a chatbox :XD I had to remove a bunch of posts. If you want to discuss a certain series or the nominations, please do so in the respective thread. Posts here should focus on the Awards themselves, and nothing else.[/admin]

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Doughboy that's the whole point. I think the majority here follows the big long-running ones, which ultimately leads to them dominating the awards. I understand your concerns though, we will see what we can do regarding that next time :)
Sounds good bro. Although I'm disappointed there's no best Ecchi/Harem series.... this site is full of perverts and I wanted to see if my perversion matched up with you guys' :nah MyWife would of easily won that... can't watch that show in public.

lakhan220

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
India
@Erinyes I see no love for OP or NARUTO.....U mentioned all others and skipped them :feelsbadman

As for the long running series, if possible can we have next year a category at least for that ?
So, long running series - I mean which has continued for years without any significant breaks like OP and NARUTO....

Oh well, up to mods to figure out a way to bring a category where we can add these old and gold legendary all time great ones , running for years .......
Well, I will nominate series which I watched this year then. :)

Thanks @Sky and @niichan for informing me on my question :verily

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
So something like a Best Long running Category where the bigger series that are airing during that year can be nominated? I guess One Piece will be noninated each time for the next 23 years :XD

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I watch very little anime, but I don't mind FT/OP/DBS being left out. The main factor for me is that anime tend to have seasons of like 12-24 episodes, and then go on break or get cancelled. It is different to manga in this respect, isn't it? I actually don't know about DBS so I really shouldn't speak for that one. It feels fair to exclude the long running anime to give a chance to the new ones.

Maybe for One Piece and Fairy Tail, if they're out of the Anime Awards perhaps in their own Awards they can have a few categories for anime only? And in these anime awards, maybe "Best long-running anime" can be an award?

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I watch very little anime, but I don't mind FT/OP/DBS being left out. The main factor for me is that anime tend to have seasons of like 12-24 episodes, and then go on break or get cancelled. It is different to manga in this respect, isn't it? I actually don't know about DBS so I really shouldn't speak for that one. It feels fair to exclude the long running anime to give a chance to the new ones.

Maybe for One Piece and Fairy Tail, if they're out of the Anime Awards perhaps in their own Awards they can have a few categories for anime only? And in these anime awards, maybe "Best long-running anime" can be an award?
That'd be fine with me for sure. Anyway, Long-running anime are kind of out of fashion in modern anime. I mean, when was the last series that started from say 2013 onwards that had more than 60 episodes? 2 Cour or even 1 Cour is where it's at these days.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
2 Cour or even 1 Cour is where it's at these days.
Is cour a foreign word for season?

Anyway I like the smaller 12-24eps set up, it seems like better quality. That said, if a series have the potential to smash out 70 episodes of quality in a row, then I'm fine with it.