First Round - 20th Century Boys vs. Shimanami Tasogare | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round 20th Century Boys vs. Shimanami Tasogare

Who wins?

• 20th Century Boys

• Shimanami Tasogare

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandred

Plan Deviser
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
20th Century Boys
Naoki Urasawa
-
Shimanami Tasogare
Yūki Kamatani

Rules- You are allowed to vote for one Manga
- After 5 days, the Manga with the most votes will proceed into the next round
- In case of a tie, a staff pick will break it
Special Rules- We proudly encourage you to share the best pics of your Manga!
- Earn the possibility to win a badge by being the proudest Mangalover around!

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Before I start, I want to say good luck to my opponent and let’s both do our best! :^_^

First things first, introduction!

20th Century Boys

The synopsis is, according to MAL:

As the 20th century approaches its end, people all over the world are anxious that the world is changing. And probably not for the better.

Kenji Endo is a normal convenience store manager who's just trying to get by. But when he learns that one of his old friends going by the name "Donkey" has suddenly committed suicide, and that a new cult led by a figure known as "Friend" is becoming more notorious, Kenji starts to feel that something isn't right. With a few key clues left behind by his deceased friend, Kenji realizes that this cult is much more than he ever thought it would be—not only is this mysterious organization directly targeting him and his childhood friends, but the whole world also faces a grave danger that only the friends have the key to stop.

Kenji's simple life of barely making ends meet is flipped upside down when he reunites with his childhood friends, and together they must figure out the truth of how their past is connected to the cult, as the turn of the century could mean the possible end of the world.

That’s basically the “plot” of the whole thing, but there’s more than just saving the world type of story. What drives it through right until the end is the overarching mystery as each of them surfaces. Every plot twist gets thrown in, leaving the reader wanting more, and clues piling up as we catch and keep it whenever it comes up later. It’s gripping and exciting. What’s more interesting about this is that this story is being told through different timelines. So, jumping from one flashback to the present to flashback again is expected. While, at first, it might be a little confusing, it makes sense as each time serves a purpose to build more tension and to the overall narrative.

Sit tight, as this manga brings an awesome tale that is sure to be remembered.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
If you see my MAL link below my signature and then click it then you will see that 20CB is one of my favourite mangas/manga.So yeah 20th CB for me.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Voted for 2tnona

@Totinona where's your campaign? :SOON

Totinona

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Voted for 2tnona

@Totinona where's your campaign? :SOON

I never intended to do much campaigning to be honest. '-' I don't want to potentially spoil anything as it is on the short side with only 4 volumes. But I will share the synopsis and some images.

After recently moving to Onomichi, Hiroshima, high school student Tasuku Kaname is thrown into despair at the possibility that he may have been outed for being gay. Convinced his life is over, his despair turns into shock when he sees a woman jump out of a window of a nearby house. Tasuku races to the house in a panic only to discover that it's a public meeting lounge owned by the woman he saw before. Tasuku comes face to face with the woman as she walks past him unharmed, but not before she implies that she had been watching him from afar. Confused, Tasuku follows her up to the top of a steep hill where she offers to briefly listen to what's on his mind. Although Tasuku doesn't go into too much detail, he later accepts her invitation to come to the lounge to meet others with similar troubles.

Genres: Drama, Slice of Life, Psychological, Seinen

My main reason for nominating Shimanami Tasogare is so that someone might find a new manga that they like/want to read.
If you enjoy slice of life I suggest checking it out~
I hope you will give it a chance/try~

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
20CB is literally one of my favourite series ever. Granted, I have looked into Shimanami Tasogare. I liked it! Was certainly a good short read and I'd reccomend it to most people. However 20CB takes this vote :)

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I heard 20C is a good series and @Elusia was the first to post. :amuse

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Ugh xD 20th Century Boys is said to be a master piece and Urasawa is great ç.ç But Tina always bring in interesting stuff and I like those pages she showed :emocat The competition is harder this year.

Seraph

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Finland
Voting 20th Century Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.