Shounen - Act-age by Tatsuya Matsuki & Shiro Usazaki | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Act-age by Tatsuya Matsuki & Shiro Usazaki

OfficialHxH

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not genuinely speaking on this website but just the internet overall.

I guess what I really meant is it just needs more readers. It's not talked about enough, at least from my perspective. If it wasn't in Jump, I'm not sure anyone would have talked about it lol

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Just finished the reading of Act-Age with what was translated today and man, that arc is really good. Makes sense why it got better positions and a better reception with it. Yonagi is also an amazing, adorable, beautiful dork character just like Chiyoko is too. Really liking their dynamic in the manga.

Chuck_Atlas

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Just read the Act Age badge and man this sure is one hell of an arc, Yonagi is such a fun MC (puke girl... lmao) can see why it got better placement on the TOC, hopefully more new series would be capable of this in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

shoyoboyo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now I think Act-Age is in a good spot, but it needs to flesh out some of its characters soon if it wants to grab hold of a wider audience. As others have said, Yonagi is a cute dork, but the rest of the cast (save for maybe Chiyoko) don't have much character to their name. Akane (the other girl in the main group) has so far been the only non-main character to have some sort of development, but that seems to be already finished since her conflict with Yonagi has already been resolved. I want to learn more about the other characters in the main group as well as the actors from STARS.

In regards to Chiyoko, right now I honestly don't like her character. I don't think she's a bad character per say, she's just an unlikable character in my eyes. However, I think she can be a great "boss turned rival" character that the current arc seems to be building up to. If she grows and changes as a character, I think she can grow to be more likable.

Since we're not even 30 chapters in, I can understand the current state of the characters, but I hope the important ones grow beyond just the initial character they're introduced as.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Man, Act-Age is some good stuff! Loved this massive upload of so many chapters! <3 <3 <3

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
It makes sense to dislike Chiyoko, after all she is the other extreme of Yonagi's extreme and unlike Yonagi she is not working on her "flaw(s)" because she does not recognize those as flaws like Yonagi does. Yonagi was unable to see acting with anything but her own POV, thanks to her scout she was able to steal the bird of view technique from Chiyoko, watching herself from many different POVs at once. Chiyoko on the other hand has discarded her own self, only seeing the camera and the audience, the movie and the work, she herself does not exist in it than being the one that makes everything work perfectly and bring it to fruition. Like they said, less an angel and more a machine and who could like a machine.
Albeit her mask is starting to crack, given she is showing anger and due Yonagi becoming Keiko she had to improvise to not get outdone by a side-character. After all she is the protagonist of this movie.
I really liked the change from the "..." bubbles from the previous chapter(s) to the now normal speech bubbles of the last chapter. it shows that Yonagi is no more "acting" but being Keiko and that alone destroys Chiyoko's acting as she has to react to Yonagi's emotional and sudden changes, like the hand holding her back instead of following her which made sense for the Keiko character in this situation but was bad for the movie's story to continue, to keep the movie shooting going.
I can see why the Jump readers in Japan liked this arc so much.^^

OfficialHxH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some of Vol. 2 extra content (Plus Vol. 1 Author Comments) translated and typesetted for you guys:

Last edited:

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m still not too sure about the long term outlook for act age, but I’ve never followed an acting series before so I might be oblivious to the genre. I think the narrative and attractiveness of the mc can carry it for a decent amount of time.

De La Croissant

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Right now I think Act-Age is in a good spot, but it needs to flesh out some of its characters soon if it wants to grab hold of a wider audience. I want to learn more about the other characters in the main group as well as the actors from STARS.
This. In my opinion, the story still relies too much on the gimmick.

Mankichi Togawa

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Chapter 28:
Seems there is conmotion because it was filmed the ''date'' between Yonagi and Akira. Also, Akira joins the theatre play. Seems this arc is going to be focused on him

OfficialHxH

Reaction score
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Chapter 30 color page
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Chapters 23 and 24 are scanlated, folks

OfficialHxH

Reaction score
Country
United States

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Act-age has became my favorite Jump manga. Last arc was pretty solid and this current arc is being very enjoyable.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
WTF this thread is so dead. Trying to revive it. Do it for Yonagi.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Funny how many people got an Act-Age avatar but are not talking about it.^^
Seems that genius actor just "got it" as in he is not good at acting but his acting is good, basically a born Chiyoko who had to work hard for her fame. Loved the end with Yonagi getting pissed how everyone believes they are above her and she herself says SHE is the star! It's so self-centered and cocky, I love it. <3

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain

Thanks to Nav

Thanks to Revo

Last edited:

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Another manga who deserve more love..

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Another manga who deserve more love..
It sure does, though it sells well and ranks well enough so in Japan it gets its just love.^^
As for the latest chapter, man, that revelation had me on the edge of my seat! You could see when Yonagi truly lost it to her rage. Man, she was shivering!!!