First Round - Act-Age vs. Boku no Hero Academia | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

First Round Act-Age vs. Boku no Hero Academia

Who Wins?

• Act-Age

• Boku no Hero Academia

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

Act-Age
Tatsuya Matsuki
Boku no Hero Academia
Kohei Horikoshi

Last edited by a moderator:

Chocolatejr9

Reaction score
Country
United States
I voted for My Hero Academia. I just find the world and characters to be surprisingly immersive. The writer has gone on record saying he's a fan of Western comics, and it shows. I know this is probably a poor attempt at explaining it, but that's how I feel.

Ramen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Going with Act-Age.

Jorden Rivera

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m gonna vote for Act-Age cause I think it’s the best written series in Jump right now. Boku no Hero is definitely going to win though.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I didn't like BnHA back when it started but it's definitely one of my favorite reads of the week nowadays. Definitely supporting it.

animeangryfan4

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I prefer action rather that reality. Although I dont like were the manga is going right now since there is so much reality and despair, I feel Boku No Hero Academi is one I would vote for.

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
method acting
- noun
a style of acting in which an actor tries to understand and feel the emotions of the character he or she represents.

_________________________________________________​

Act-Age is the story of Kei Yonagi, an aspiring actress who, at the age of 16, is already a master in method acting, to the point that she sometimes loses her ability to see the difference between fiction and reality. Once she can understand her characters, she becomes them - even if a part of her true self chips away each time. After her first acting audition she's scouted by an art house director who wants to make her into the best possible actress she can be for his greatest project yet, and so begins her adventure into film, television, commercials, and theatre.

It's arguably one the best and most realistically written manga Weekly Shonen Jump has published. There are no super powers, only talent. The characters are treated with care and never fall victim to cliches and tried tropes. This is about acting, but just as with matches in the best sports manga, each acting performance here is a battle of its own where Yonagi learns new skills, meets new rival actors, and always strives to improve. One bad performance could decide the rest of an actor's career, while a good one might land you another chance in the spotlight - but if you're Yonagi, a great one could very well turn you from a nobody to a household name.

Made by a newcomer writer, and artist who was only 20 years old when she started serialisation, it's a story about talent, made by people with talent.
It ranked 3rd on the "Nationwide Bookstore Employees' Recommended Comics of 2018". In April 2019, it was nominated for Best Shonen Manga at the 43nd annual Kodansha Manga Awards. In December 2019, Brutus magazine listed Act-Age on their "Most Dangerous Manga" list, which included works with the most "stimulating" and thought-provoking themes.

I'll tell you why Act-Age is so great, but you also need to see to believe it.

Are you a fan of films and television? Act-Age is for you.

Act-Age shows the behind-the-scenes process from casting auditions, to gruelling days on set, to the eventual date it reaches the audience. Its writing is rooted in realism, showing the dark side of the entertainment industry and the many ways that agents or studios control the careers of their actors. As a rookie, Yonagi will take on anything, even if she may fall victim to herself and the cruelty of the industry at any point. It's a dangerous tightrope she walks, but she fights for her family: feed them, to raise them, to become an actress because they know it's her calling.

Interested in theatre or stage plays? Act-Age also has you covered.
Yonagi must learn how to act for the camera as well as a live audience. She's learning just as we the audience are understanding what actors and directors put in to make their ideas come to life. Watch her embody her every character, including one so vengeful and murderous that the audience is too scared to even look her way.

Act-Age shows the dangerous realism and beauty of method acting.
Over and over again, you'll be transported to a different place or time along with Yonagi. Whether she's sitting on an uncomfortable fold out chair, imagining herself in the comfort of a train gliding through the countryside, or channeling her anger at the woman who had an affair with her father, watching her at her best is nothing short of breathtaking.

vs

Don't just vote for Act-Age, read it!

Last edited:

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
So I gotta say I experienced what the MW really are about.
I didn't know about Act-Age and thanks to this event, I started reading and liking it.
(And voted for it.)
Go Act-Age!

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
So I gotta say I experienced what the MW really are about.
I didn't know about Act-Age and thanks to this event, I started reading and liking it.
(And voted for it.)
Go Act-Age!
Will probably vote for Act-Age. And read it too.
Couldn't ask for anything more! Not enough people know how good this manga is yet.

Juviii

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
These 2 manga have something in common: both MCs are annoying. But I dropped Act Age so going with BNHA here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh wait, no campaign for Bnha... Not a fan of rewarding non-campaigners.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I voted for Act-Age. It's good, the Galactic Road arc was amazing and that's when I felt the series had cemented itself. It's kind of like a sports manga, but with film. Surely animated soon.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I also voted for Act-Age, BNHA just doesn't appeal to me as much. Though feel free to change my mind about that, I'm curious to see what makes BNHA great in the eyes of fans!
Would definitely recommend Act-Age if the campaign didn't convince you so far! :nod - I really like the dynamics between characters and their growth.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've only read a few chapters of Act Age, but I'll vote for it. BnHA is...I don't know anymore. I read it, but it doesn't really excite me anymore.

Chocolatejr9

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright. I know I'm gonna mess this up horribly, but I'm gonna try to do one of those campaigns on why My Hero Academia is so great. Bare in mind, this is my first time doing this, so I'll likely fail.

So here's the plot: in a world where 80% of the world's population has developed superpowers called "Quirks", various individuals use their powers as either Heroes or Villains. However, Izuku Midoriya is one of the few people born Quirkless. Despite this, he still dreams of becoming a Hero, and a chance encounter with his idol, the Number 1 Hero All Might, sets him on the path to fulfilling that dream.

Admittedly, that premise is a bit basic on paper, even for Shonen standards. However, it's how this story plays out that helps set it apart. For starters, as the name implies, this story primarily takes place in a high school setting. A Hero school, to be exact. As a result, we see not only Izuku's growth as a character, but his classmates' as well. Regrettably, not everyone has gotten a chance in the spotlight yet, but they're all unique in their own ways. And it's not just the students either. The teachers, Pro Heroes, and even the Villains are all diverse and bring much to the table. Chances are, you'll like at least ONE of these guys.

Also, the way they go about the lore is quite fascinating. We get to see glimpses about how society adapted to the appearance of Quirks, and what people were involved in shaping the world into what it is today. Not everyone was accepting of Quirks then, and not everyone likes the current system in place to regulate them. Naturally, this leads to various conflicts of interest, you could say.

Finally, I just wanna give a quick shoutout to the art. It's rather endearing and has its own charm, making all the character's unique designs work together well in this setting.

Anyway, I know this isn't that good a sell, but I wanted to at least say why I feel this series is deserving of its praise. I hope it manages to get you at least a little interested.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally, I just wanna give a quick shoutout to the art. It's rather endearing and has its own charm, making all the character's unique designs work together well in this setting.
While BnHA's story may not be all that engaging in my opinion, it's art is definitely top tier and has been getting increasingly better as it continues on.
Especially in terms of panel composition. If it weren't for Chainsawman, I'd say it's the best in Jump in that aspect.

But if we consider everything around it, it's probably the best drawn series in Jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.