Hangout - Akatsuki no Yona Hangout Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Hangout Akatsuki no Yona Hangout Thread

How do you prefer the Spoiler/Chapter thread set-up?

• Different threads for each spoiler/chapter (current set up)

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 2 constant threads (1 for spoiler, 1 for chapter) to allow for continued discussion

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Other (suggest in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tranquil Rain

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand

Akatsuki no Yona
Author and Artist:
Mizuho Kusanagi
Serialisation: Hana to Yume
Genre: Romance, Fantasy, Historical, Action, Adventure, Reverse Harem, Comedy, Drama

Plot Summary:
"Princess Yona lives an ideal life as the only princess of her kingdom. Doted on by her father, the king, and protected by her faithful guard Hak, she cherishes the time spent with the man she loves, Soo-won. But everything changes on her 16th birthday when she witnesses her father’s murder!"
Source: Mangaupdates

Last edited:

Tranquil Rain

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
My opinion of AnY so far:
I consider AnY one of my favourite manga series of all time, as it is unique in its own way despite presenting a rather common story.
The characters of AnY is what makes this manga shine in my opinion, especially Yona. From the interactions among the characters to their development, everything is well-done. Not to mention, the art is great as well.
The story is neither complex nor simple, but features an amalgamation of simplicity and complexity, adding to its uniqueness.
Although there are some arcs which seemed to be weaker than others in terms of storytelling, they don't affect the quality of the story overall.
One my favourite arcs are the fire tribe arc, the awa arc, and the zeno arc.
I hope more people would check out this lovely manga and enjoy it.

Aonori

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Have been reading the manga for quite a while (caught up with the manga after the anime ended), I like the way a good chunk of the chaps share panels between both Yona and Kouka´s state of politic affairs with Soo-won and co, though the empowering aspect of the 4 dragons makes military conflicts against them, pratically useless as long as they have enough conditions to use their powers, and no proper counters to each dragon, it´s nice to see moments where even them themselves are vulnerable, so some tension can be built here and there and see some of their characterization and in some cases development.

There are also good ways the author uses, to motivate the political conflict, relying on things like drugs, faith, etc... all in all, it´s very good, I liked the military strategies Soo-won comes up with and how his social interactions with the lower classes lead him to act as a better leader as well.

Tranquil Rain

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Have been reading the manga for quite a while (caught up with the manga after the anime ended), I like the way a good chunk of the chaps share panels between both Yona and Kouka´s state of politic affairs with Soo-won and co, though the empowering aspect of the 4 dragons makes military conflicts against them, pratically useless as long as they have enough conditions to use their powers, and no proper counters to each dragon, it´s nice to see moments where even them themselves are vulnerable, so some tension can be built here and there and see some of their characterization and in some cases development.

There are also good ways the author uses, to motivate the political conflict, relying on things like drugs, faith, etc... all in all, it´s very good, I liked the military strategies Soo-won comes up with and how his social interactions with the lower classes lead him to act as a better leader as well.
Yeah, the focus on the politics of the country is another great aspect of the manga, especially during the fire tribe arc, where I think that Su-Won's political abilities shined the most. The water tribe arc also touches upon the issue of drugs. And now we have new political issues with the neighbouring country Xing.
I hope the author will deal with this country better than how she is dealt with Sei, as I felt the writing during the last arc somehow weaker than the rest of the arcs.
Regarding the dragons being empowered, as you said, there are times when they are weak, as we saw in the Zeno arc, and even Hak who is really powerful can be vulnerable fighting alone.
What I also liked Yona's gradual moving on from Su-Won through gradually not clinging onto the hairpin he gave her at the beginning, and also trying to understand his motives and the objectives behind his actions.
Now, the story still did not resolve many things such as the darkness and the shield and sword. Also, the nature of King Il's motives and the mystery surrounding Su-Won's father and the death of Yona's mother. It would be nice also if more depth is given to Hak's character. I have a theory that he is likely from a neighbouring country, most probably the newly introduced Xing. It would be nice to know more about his background.

Last edited:

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Yeah, the focus on the politics of the country is another great aspect of the manga, especially during the fire tribe arc, where I think that Su-Won's political abilities shined the most. The water tribe arc also touches upon the issue of drugs. And now we have new political issues with the neighbouring country Xing.
I hope the author will deal with this country better than how she is dealt with Sei, as I felt the writing during the last arc somehow weaker than the rest of the arcs.
Regarding the dragons being empowered, as you said, there are times when they are weak, as we saw in the Zeno arc, and even Hak who is really powerful can be vulnerable fighting alone.
What I also liked Yona's gradual moving on from Su-Won through gradually not clinging onto the hairpin he gave her at the beginning, and also trying to understand his motives and the objectives behind his actions.
Now, the story still did not resolve many things such as the darkness and the shield and sword. Also, the nature of King Il's motives and the mystery surrounding Su-Won's father and the death of Yona's mother. It would be nice also if more depth is given to Hak's character. I have a theory that he is likely from a neighbouring country, most probably the newly introduced Xing. It would be nice to know more about his background.
Just my guess but I think Su-won and Hak are the Sword and the Shield of Yona, mostly due to the fact both are incredibly strong, Hak especially would fare well against the other dragons with maybe the exception of seiryu due to the eye contact paralysis and Zeno if instead of capturing and imprisoning him he were to fight him, Su-won might also fare well it depends a lot I think he held back a bit against Hak in their first fight due to guilt and he also had the spear range disadvatage on him...

The "darkness" could have something to do with the kouka's neighbours agressive intentions towards them, but I think the empire itself is the bigger threat, I do wonder if the author plans to have more supernatural elements coming into play regarding these neighbour countries, maybe there will be additions in certain armies to new elements (like elephants, or other animals), I could also see more drugs coming into play in the future but in a more lighter way, there's also the chance Yona will start develloping a defensive stance towards international affairs and try to keep su-won from being too greedy if he ever tries to expand the kouka kingdom for a very large territory where the dragon's abilities are less efficient.

I like how the manga goes around with the plot, especially the way Yona trained to use the bow and then the sword it shown se good character progression.

Tranquil Rain

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Just my guess but I think Su-won and Hak are the Sword and the Shield of Yona, mostly due to the fact both are incredibly strong, Hak especially would fare well against the other dragons with maybe the exception of seiryu due to the eye contact paralysis and Zeno if instead of capturing and imprisoning him he were to fight him, Su-won might also fare well it depends a lot I think he held back a bit against Hak in their first fight due to guilt and he also had the spear range disadvatage on him...
Yeah, that is a very possible. Su-won being the sword and Hak being the shield is a strong theory. Another possible theory would be that the sword and the shield are physical objects and not people, and that when Yona meets certain conditions they will appear, but I prefer the former theory to the later as it adds more drama.

The "darkness" could have something to do with the kouka's neighbours agressive intentions towards them, but I think the empire itself is the bigger threat, I do wonder if the author plans to have more supernatural elements coming into play regarding these neighbour countries, maybe there will be additions in certain armies to new elements (like elephants, or other animals), I could also see more drugs coming into play in the future but in a more lighter way, there's also the chance Yona will start develloping a defensive stance towards international affairs and try to keep su-won from being too greedy if he ever tries to expand the kouka kingdom for a very large territory where the dragon's abilities are less efficient.
I agree. Actually, it would be interesting if the source of darkness would be the kingdom itself. That is, Su-won's greediness and ambitions and goals to expand Kouka as well as his hidden agenda would serve as a basis to the darkness. We should also not forget that the bases and foundations of the current Kouka governed by Su-won are built on revenge and grudge. I suspect that the story of the previous king and his brother and Yona's mother is related to the darkness as well.

I like how the manga goes around with the plot, especially the way Yona trained to use the bow and then the sword it shown se good character progression.
I also like the way the manga is progressing. But I hope it keeps improving and that Su-won would be shown in a more grey and negative light. (As recently, I feel everyone in the story is agreeing with him.)

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Yeah, that is a very possible. Su-won being the sword and Hak being the shield is a strong theory. Another possible theory would be that the sword and the shield are physical objects and not people, and that when Yona meets certain conditions they will appear, but I prefer the former theory to the later as it adds more drama.

I agree. Actually, it would be interesting if the source of darkness would be the kingdom itself. That is, Su-won's greediness and ambitions and goals to expand Kouka as well as his hidden agenda would serve as a basis to the darkness. We should also not forget that the bases and foundations of the current Kouka governed by Su-won are built on revenge and grudge. I suspect that the story of the previous king and his brother and Yona's mother is related to the darkness as well.

I also like the way the manga is progressing. But I hope it keeps improving and that Su-won would be shown in a more grey and negative light. (As recently, I feel everyone in the story is agreeing with him.)
If that were the case, I´m pretty sure it could be related to Su-won´s sword, but the idea of both the shield and the sword being actual people could have some relation with Hak´s defensive atitude towards Yona and Su-won´s extremely agressive atitude, initially to Yona after coup and with the plans to expand the Kouka kingdom.

Not only that but there is a limit to how much distance the dragons can go out from the hiryuu castle without losing their powers, if Su-won were to continue his expansion, Yona and co could sabotage him from inside the kingdom, but they could never come to aid efficiently outside of the Kouka borders, with the exception of Hak and possibly Zeno, depending on how much distance he can go before his powers start working, he did say his regen was staggered due to the distance, if Kouka citizens or troops outside of the borders are located, it could end very badly for Su-won, since he always had at least a degree of support from them in his militar affairs, even if he´s a genius, there´s a chance he will lose battles as well, if he´s pitted against other genius military generals.

They agree with him, mostly on a nationalism POV, plus the neighbour countries, got the rep. of slaver vandals (in Awa) and terrorist merchants (with Nadai selling traffic), tried and suceeded corrupting one allied tribe into a coup, that would´ve killed thousands and humiliated the Fire tribe´s pride, I can see how such deeds can create a very huge grudge and huge desire for payback, but it remains to be seen, if su-won will bring a more dark justice to his deeds, or if he will keep it controlled like he has done so far, if he wages war with the South Kai, he will need to do very dirty things to win his fights, but right now he´s building up his power in Kouka.

Last edited:

Tranquil Rain

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Not only that but there is a limit to how much distance the dragons can go out from the hiryuu castle without losing their powers, if Su-won were to continue his expansion, Yona and co could sabotage him from inside the kingdom, but they could never come to aid efficiently outside of the Kouka borders, with the exception of Hak and possibly Zeno, depending on how much distance he can go before his powers start working, he did say his regen was staggered due to the distance, if Kouka citizens or troops outside of the borders are located, it could end very badly for Su-won, since he always had at least a degree of support from them in his militar affairs, even if he´s a genius, there´s a chance he will lose battles as well, if he´s pitted against other genius military generals.

They agree with him, mostly on a nationalism POV, plus the neighbour countries, got the rep. of slaver vandals (in Awa) and terrorist merchants (with Nadai selling traffic), tried and suceeded corrupting one allied tribe into a coup, that would´ve killed thousands and humiliated the Fire tribe´s pride, I can see how such deeds can create a very huge grudge and huge desire for payback, but it remains to be seen, if su-won will bring a more dark justice to his deeds, or if he will keep it controlled like he has done so far, if he wages war with the South Kai, he will need to do very dirty things to win his fights, but right now he´s building up his power in Kouka.
I would like to see Su-Won suffer a bit and be seriously challenged by someone, because things are really going smooth for him, and as you said, Yona and her group are helping him great deal, but once he becomes more greedy and wants to conquer more countries, even Yona wouldn't be able to help him as mentioned.

And yeah, most of the tribes, especially the Earth and Fire tribes, follow him because of their nationalism views, and all the surrounding countries until now have been portrayed in a negative light and are always on the 'bad' side compared to Su-Won and Kouka, as you mentioned. Since the early chapters of the manga, I am waiting for Su-Won's 'dark' side to emerge, but it seems that other than him killing Yona's father, there is really nothing wrong with him and everything regarding him is still a mystery.
But this new country in the recent chapters seems promising. I really hope it will be different than the others, and that their point of view and politics would be showed excellently. The situation in this country already seems complex, as although it seems a troubled country, until now it does not seem bad, and I hope more depth would be added to Su-Won's character as we see how he deals with this country.
Well, the manga has reached about 130 chapters, so it will most likely start to wrap up, so I hope the author will handle the rest of the story well.

By the way, have you seen the newest AnY OVA?
I think they have done a very good job adapting Zeno's stroy, and the animation was great as well.
I am looking forward to the other part. It will most probably cover Kaya's story. I hope it will be adapted well.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I don't think Soo-Won has a dark side. But he's willing to do whatever is necessary to make Kouka strong, so in that sense he's got the potential to be dark. Imo, he'd be very similar to the original King Hiryuu.

I don't mind the current arc in Xing, despite it's pacing being a tad too slow for mine. Very, very interesting events to come with Yona going to Soo-Won herself to enlist help.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
4 dragons captured by Kouren, and now Yona has to negotiate with Soo-Won to set them free.

Wonder how Soo-Won plays it. Does he agree with Yona? I can see him figuring out that the 4 dragons are captured. Wonder if he uses this opportunity to deal with those dragons, as well as Hak and Yona.

I really like Algira :)

Aonori

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I don't think Soo-Won has a dark side. But he's willing to do whatever is necessary to make Kouka strong, so in that sense he's got the potential to be dark. Imo, he'd be very similar to the original King Hiryuu.

I don't mind the current arc in Xing, despite it's pacing being a tad too slow for mine. Very, very interesting events to come with Yona going to Soo-Won herself to enlist help.
4 dragons captured by Kouren, and now Yona has to negotiate with Soo-Won to set them free.

Wonder how Soo-Won plays it. Does he agree with Yona? I can see him figuring out that the 4 dragons are captured. Wonder if he uses this opportunity to deal with those dragons, as well as Hak and Yona.

I really like Algira :)
Or Soo-won could use this oportunity to side with Yona just this one time under the condition that she and her dragons would be now indebt to Soo-won and have to do some work for him, since Soo-won certainly knows how strong they are he could use them next time Kouka is invaded and get a pretext to take more land.

That aside Soo-won from what we got from him so far doesnt seem like his father in edge level as far as neighbour kingdoms people are concerned, So while I can see where the main xing princess POV comes I cant help but to think that even if Soo-won invaded the citizens there wouldnt definitely be treated in the same way his father did, unless there would be some other aditional factors to it that we arent aware of yet.

Eitherway, I wonder how much about the dragon legend soo-wob knows, depending on how much he could try to either pit them as enemies or take advantage of them thanks to the xing situation but not for long anyway, so unless southern kai starts invading Kouka kingdom, the dragons have really lil reason to help soo-won in the future, since for the most part kouka's internal problems seem fixed for the time being.

It's also very likely that Seishuuk will take action against yona now, he could even go as far as to act on soo-won's back and try to start a war with xing on his own, since he's a very strong kouka nationalist.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Or Soo-won could use this oportunity to side with Yona just this one time under the condition that she and her dragons would be now indebt to Soo-won and have to do some work for him, since Soo-won certainly knows how strong they are he could use them next time Kouka is invaded and get a pretext to take more land.
That's possible, but didn't Soo-won say to Zeno that he didn't seek the power of the dragons?

It's also very likely that Seishuuk will take action against yona now, he could even go as far as to act on soo-won's back and try to start a war with xing on his own, since he's a very strong kouka nationalist.
Seishuuk?

I think Joo-doh could make a play here, particulary after the events in Sei.
Chapter 134 was okay.

The 4 dragons aren't taking this hostage situation lying down. They still can't kick off a war as Jae-Ha already stated recently. Shin-Ha was cool too.

We didn't get much with Yona and co, though they've met with the old guy Ogi, who helped Soo-Won and Hak out before. It was interesting that Vold was already in touch with an underground information source like Ogi, though I wonder if Soo-Won was also cognizant of that.

And we got a shoujo 'confession'. It was nice.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Jae-Ha leg was not revealed...

But what about Min-Soo at the end? Hak's face says it... thought he was dead
Chapter is out http://mangafox.me/manga/akatsuki_no_yona/v24/c136/1.html

The movement of this arc so far has been rather slow as it was in this chapter. I the parts with Min-Soo. And the development for Yona.
137 is out http://mangastream.com/r/yona/137/4079/1

And what???? http://mangastream.com/r/yona/137/4079/13

laytonesque

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I've watched the anime and read the manga, and so far, I love the series.

The dynamic of the group is fantastic, and the development of each character is carried out nicely. No chapter focuses more in a certain character if it's not due, so everyone gets a fair amount of spotlight. Yona's growth is overwhelming, and it seems like Hak's starting to cool a bit, which is nice. Every backstory for each protagonist seems very carefully knit, which explains their later motivations as well. Very moving.

Comedy relief is also noticeable and very well placed. I never get the feeling that comedy is placed in awkward moments or that it is uneeded, so the pacing is wonderful. The author takes his time when conflict arises to make us feel the tension. Also, the arcs seem to be very well unified and threaded together, there's no feeling of plots in excess while there are some side issues: we have the major conflict of Soo-Woon going on war with the other nations and Yona & Co putting Kouka back together while solving drug trades, poverty issues, power abuse, and also helping out in some major conflicts such as the slave trade with Nadai at the fort. Meanwhile, we get a glimpse of everyone's emotions and side relations, like Soo-Woon with Lili, or Min-Soo being back. Missed the kid, really. Him being alive took me aback.

All in all, I love this manga. It shows us how characters can be developed without any use of overdoing focus or overly complicated relationships or backgrounds.

By the way is Barbie Prince™ gonna get away with all that shit or will we have to kill him ourselves?

LambentTyto

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've just finished season 1 of Yona of the Dawn and I absolutely love the anime and must have more. I've always avoided manga because its usually black and white, so never got into it, but I must continue the story and I don't want to wait for a season 2 of the anime of which its renewal has not even been announced. So my question regards the manga series of the same name. Which manga volume continues at the point where season 1 leaves off? Because there are 22 volumes and I have no clue which to get.

Thanks!

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
So I've just finished season 1 of Yona of the Dawn and I absolutely love the anime and must have more. I've always avoided manga because its usually black and white, so never got into it, but I must continue the story and I don't want to wait for a season 2 of the anime of which its renewal has not even been announced. So my question regards the manga series of the same name. Which manga volume continues at the point where season 1 leaves off? Because there are 22 volumes and I have no clue which to get.

Thanks!
The anime is adapted from the first 8 volumes of Yona (ch 1 - 47). There are also OVA's which I've not seen but it seems they are also sourced from parts of the manga. But best to pick it up at chapter 48/volume 9 :)

LambentTyto

Reaction score
Country
United States
The anime is adapted from the first 8 volumes of Yona (ch 1 - 47). There are also OVA's which I've not seen but it seems they are also sourced from parts of the manga. But best to pick it up at chapter 48/volume 9 :)
Thank you!

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Chapter 140 is out http://readms.net/r/yona/140/4223/1

Overall that was a very good chapter, a lot happened. The scene with the dragons (mainly Zeno) was nice, and even the moments with Vold/Hak. But the end, that is the biggest talking point. Yona was quite strong with Kye-Sook and looks prepared to talk with Soo-Won.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Chapter 141 is out on MS http://readms.net/r/yona/141/4281/1
That was a great chapter, especially the first half or so. This page was unreal in the context of Yona's progression in this series.

Kye-sook and this anti-war faction are going to wreck plans, which if left alone would probably end up with a peaceful resolution.

A.ulq

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Uchiha Clan
Yona throwing salt at Su-won's wounds, savage af! Never thought Su-won was aware of his father's crimes. I wonder if the king actually killed his brother like Su-won claims. Also, I feel like war is going to break out regardless of Kouren changing her mind and those men cloaked in black are going set things on fire, it's good thing that Su-won is prepared for them:3c
Ch 142