Voting - All-Time Mashima - Best Character Development | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting All-Time Mashima - Best Character Development

Who had the best character development all-time?

• Ultear Milkovich

• Gajeel Redfox

• Laxus Dreyar

• Sieghart Caeser

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands

What character had the greatest character development ever; the G.O.A.T?

Any character development from any manga by Hiro Mashima, completed or ongoing, is eligible. Lets settle the debate once and for all.

Voting Round
  • You may vote for One(1) of the options
  • This is the final round
  • You are permitted to change your selection up to the closing of the round
  • You are encouraged to promote/campaign for your selection
  • A mod vote will be used to break tie(s)
  • The round will be over in 5 days

Voting Round ends 29th June, 2019.

Ultear Milkovich 12x
- Gajeel 9x
- Laxus 7x
- Sieghart 4x

- Lucy Heartfilia 3x
- Zeref 3x
- Jellal 3x
- Wendy 2x
- Mystogan

Last edited:

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Nominating my favorite top favorite characters

1. Sieghart from Rave Master

2. Lucy Heartfilia from Fairy Tail

And my favorite villain for my third nomination
3. Zeref from Fairy Tail

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
To explain further about why I love these characters and their development:

Sieghart - from almost villain to noble protector to greatest wizard in the world to
sacrificing himself

Lucy - was a princess -> went to being a street rat -> became a guild member -> relied on her spirits too much -> learned to fight with and without her spirits

Zeref - his curse and his development through his hundreds of years with Natsu, the demons, the spriggans, Mavis, fairy tail, etc...

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Ultear-Turned from a bloodthirsty manipulating villain to a genuinely caring person

Jellal-From an antagonist to a valuable ally

Laxus-From a selfish cruel guy to a great leader and protector of his guild and his Nakama

revo

The Witch of Certainty
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Do hope someone nominates Gajeel @revo :nrr
You already knew I was to nominate him, didn't you? :hurr
Mashima has many of good characters with development actually, so this was hard to pick.

Obviously first Gajeel :blush

And Laxus cannot not be in this list <_>

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Mhnm, had a bit of debate of the third one, because I wanted to throw in some fun - But in my eyes, these are the best options :)

Gajeel

Ultear

Laxus

Valhalla

ᛏᚺᛖ ᚹᚺᛁᛏᛖ ᚹᛟᛚᚠ ᛟᚠ ᚷᛖᚱᛟᚡᛟ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Supporting Sieghart, Ultear and Zeref.
  • Sieghart and Ultear are self explanatory, i consider them Mashima's finest characters with the best developement
  • As for Zeref, even though Mashima didnt do him justice by the end, imo he was still the deepest character in the series.
  • I cant believe it but i respect the Lucy nomination. I consider Lucy to be fairly developed, even more so than the majority of the FT cast. She went from a character i really hated to a character i actually didnt mind by the end. Maybe its cuz the rest of the main cast fell flat on their face, or she actually grew that much as a character. She is basically the opposite of Erza for me. At one point Erza was the greatest female character in shonen imo, but then by the end was so one-dimensional, flat and boring my head hurt
  • ... oh and Gajeel has also pretty damn good developement

Biri Biri

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Wendy, Ultear and Gajeel.

TimeSpace

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
1. Zeref with his magic, suffer, backstory, crazy projects, curse, waiting for Natsu, loving Natsu, beeing Emeperor, teaching magic -> From a simple little boy who lost everthing precious to him to crused by god mad genious mage.

Crescent Jinx

Reaction score
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I cant believe it but i respect the Lucy nomination. I consider Lucy to be fairly developed, even more so than the majority of the FT cast. She went from a character i really hated to a character i actually didnt mind by the end. Maybe its cuz the rest of the main cast fell flat on their face, or she actually grew that much as a character. She is basically the opposite of Erza for me. At one point Erza was the greatest female character in shonen imo, but then by the end was so one-dimensional, flat and boring my head hurt
Yea it’s easy to make an interesting character. Mashima makes some really great characters. A bit harder to give them development. But he usually does well with that. Heck, Erza had phenomenal development in Tower of Heaven. Yet it’s really hard to maintain that development consistently, which is a problem Mashima has/had with his mains. Out of 500+ Lucy has the best development of the mains while being constantly in everyone’s faces unlike Laxus who wasn’t regularly present. Plus she had to deal with regular loss or assistance. Which is something the other characters didn’t have to deal with since you knew as soon as a battle started they were going to win. In general, regular appearing characters don’t have to deal with comedy and constant changing storyline, they have a bit easier time to stay in their niche. Wendy also has some really good development for awhile but she was introduced 150+ into the story and suffered from OP loli syndrome at the end. Juvia has some great character development but unless you shipped Gruvia, most people would probably say she regressed as an individual to promote the romance with Gray more. For me characters in general like Ultear, Sieg, Lyon, Shuda, Let, Gajeel, Jellal, Juvia, Laxus, Sting, Rogue, Reina, Nagisa, Bellnika were all villains or rivals or general enemies that transformed into good guys and that’s the easiest character development you can give. Flipping someone from bad to good. Some of them are really great, Laxus, Gajeel, Sieg, Ultear, Lyon are some of the bests and the deserve a win so wouldn’t mind them pulling ahead. Then there are characters who I honestly believe are above Mashima’s writing level, which is basically zeref. Zeref kept walking the line of being both bad and good, cursed victim but also a villain, someone who wanted to do more but end up hurting countless innocents. Mashima juggled him for a long time. He gave him some great development but executed him wrong toward the end because in the end, he was trying to make Natsu and Zeref have too much a connection. So this is an interesting thread and look forward to seeing the nominations progress.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I support Ultear and Gajeel

Reebi

Reaction score
Country