American Politics | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

American Politics

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well this is probably going to be my third time voting so Im in that stage of evaluating the candidates.

But do people outside of America pay attention to american presidents too?

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm voting for Bernie Sanders.

Or possibly Trump if he becomes more socially aware.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I've only been able to vote in one Presidential election (2012) and I gave my vote to Obama (which I honestly regret but fuck Mitt Romney).

I'm extremely close to abstaining from voting next year, but I'll probably end up throwing my vote towards the Green Party simply as a protest vote then spend my time encouraging others to reject voting for Republicans or Democrats. This of course means I'm refusing to support Sanders in his bid for the Democratic nomination. While Bernie Sanders has some fantastically progressive positions, his decision to run on the Democratic ticket is too much for me morally. Both parties are corrupt to the core and Sanders is more than likely functioning as a tool to bring the Left-fringe of the Democratic Party into the fold. He has already stated he will support Hillary Clinton if she gets the nomination, and Clinton has the exact opposite views in many respects than Sanders does (or at least she did before beginning her bullshit campaign).

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Still probably will vote for Sanders. Lesser of the four evils.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its too soon for me to think of which person to vote for as there are like a bln people running. In any case, hoping Carly Fiorina or Jeb Bush make it through the cut. In terms of the other party, last election I was feeling more for Hilary Clinton but she seems all weebly wobbly now and untrustful so Ill stick to party lines this go around. Still analyzing those candidates though.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Companies are dropping Trump because of his views towards immigration. This humors me because fuck Trump.

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I am amused how Jeb Bush is a frontrunner? He reeks of a Romneyesque type and will probably be in the lead until the last moment some of the "crazies" start dropping out. Trump is just there for cheap political humor, people like John Oliver and Jon Stewart earn money from lampooning clowns like him.

Hillary is the "media star", I assume the media has her back and she is the tv darling of this election, she will have the superstar status that Obama had.

Many people are talking about voting for underdogs, but somehow the big fish with the big money are secure to win a place as a candidate...Sanders could have ran as an Independent...but meh.

Rand Paul and Ted Cruz get almost 0 media attention.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I don't know if she's the TV darling, but the papers I see/read usually call her out on stuff. Definitely not the newspaper darling.

I'm glad Ted Cruz is getting no attention. Likely a plan since he said dumb things about net neutrality. They probably think he'll say "[something he/public disagrees with] is the Obamacare of..." and screw things up.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I got Bernie Sanders and disgustingly enough, Clinton.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
I've done those tests before...I always get as far Left-wing as possible. Kinda surprised you're so conservative Sharkbait to be honest lol

Reactions: M3J

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I lean towards left, but I'm closer to the center. Right wings, Republicans, and conservatives suck anyway, based on my limited knoweldge.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the only thing I disagreed with the party on was the affirmative action probably, I didnt read too deeply into it though. Probably will spend more time examining each of the candidates during my down time at work.

I hope people wont seriously choose trump though.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
No way Trump should have a chance with his comments about Hispanics. He shot himself in the foot AGAIN trying to show he wasn't a racist. If nothing else, Trump seems to be socially inept and full of talk, like having a plan for taking down ISIS. He and Cruz don't deserve to win. Ever since Cruz called net neutrality the Obamacare of the internet, I realized what a shithead he was, and how he'd probably call anything associated with Obama the obamacare of this or that. Typical Republican.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wonder how you guys feel about Trump remaining the "front-runner" among Republicans and possibly running as a third-party candidate when he inevitably isn't chosen in the Republican party primaries. He's pretty much guaranteed to be in the Republican debates on Fox News, which is simultaneously horrifying and hilarious. (I'll be looking for the highlights after that for sure.)

If I were a USian, I'd vote for Bernie Sanders, easily. Hillary Clinton is second place to him (unless your vice president runs, in which case I'd have to reevaluate who gets second place out of the two of them).

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I wonder how you guys feel about Trump remaining the "front-runner" among Republicans and possibly running as a third-party candidate when he inevitably isn't chosen in the Republican party primaries. He's pretty much guaranteed to be in the Republican debates on Fox News, which is simultaneously horrifying and hilarious. (I'll be looking for the highlights after that for sure.)

If I were a USian, I'd vote for Bernie Sanders, easily. Hillary Clinton is second place to him (unless your vice president runs, in which case I'd have to reevaluate who gets second place out of the two of them).
If Trump wins, he'll get us bombed and killed, and we won't have any allies.

I'm voting for Bernie Sanders if I can. Hilary Clinton is a bad person

Charlie

Seller of goods 🐐
Reaction score
Country
United States
Not a single 'good' candidate has been shown for me thus-far.
I am registered independent.

kannazuki

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hilary Clinton is a bad person
Strong statement there. What makes her worse than any other establishment candidate (or would you say the same about them all)? Her husband is looked upon favourably and I'm sure Obama will be as well. Her policies are most likely to be centre-right politics much like theirs (probably more like Bill Clinton though), which is why she wouldn't be my first choice, but other than that I see little reason for concern. Out of those of you who would consider voting for a Democrat generally speaking, is there something else about her that you don't like, which sets her apart from other candidates? As far as I can tell, the only thing particularly different about Clinton from the others (other than her being a woman) is that people already *know* about and/or remember her best and worst public moments, while few know all that much about the pluses and minuses of folks running against her (aside from Donald Trump).

I ask because when I watch mainstream US news coverage, all I hear is "horse race" talk. Every single conversation seems to be about whether X and Y will help or hurt a candidate's chances to win. Increasingly, they've started using cute sports-related graphics that entirely acknowledge and embrace that they've become sports commentators rather than informers of the public on important matters.

It's not much different in Canada, but recently I heard about our news media that in the distant past, news agencies used to focus on what the outcome would be if a candidate was elected-- what kind of leader the person would be and the consequences/benefits that could bring-- not in terms of charisma or popularity, but in terms of expected policies. Nowadays, everyone seems to be encouraged to base their vote entirely on instinct rather than information.

Canadians have been taken in by a party leader who does all he can to impede the flow of information out of his government at all levels. (I mean seriously, you think your media have a tough time with Obama? This year, our prime minister literally refused to appear on televised political debates.) Learn from our mistakes, please.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I just dont see Mr Trump winning my parties ticket. He may have to be the third choice pick for most people. Its just another case of bad personalities ruining a candidate. Though he isnt my first or second choice.