Are the main characters ordered in terms of general "strength/potential"? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Are the main characters ordered in terms of general "strength/potential"?

Nobody12

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I came to the conclusion that Togashi used the same method to create characters. Also, in relation to strength/potential.
Outside of the complexity of the Nen system, abilities, battle situations, mental state in a particular situation, and all the complex situation that can be possible during a real battle; the characters are classified in relation to the plot and also in relation to the "general strength/potential" of the character.

The main characters of HXH are similar to the main character of Yu Yu Hakusho and follow the same scheme:
Gon-Killua-Kurapika-Leorio=Yusuke-Hiei-Kurapika-Kuwabara
  1. Gon=Yusuke (The main character)
  2. Killua=Hiei (The killer, the secondary character)
  3. Kurapika=Kurama ("The smartest", the third main character)
  4. Leorio=Kuwabara (The comic/"dumbest" of the group, the fourth character)

In the manga, it is stated that Gon and Killua are the most talented/gifted and Gon is even more talented/gifted than Killua (as said by Biscuit); instead, Leorio (like Kuwabara) is obviously the "weakest/less" gifted and less important character of the group.

The same for the main 4 Chimera ants:
Meruem-Pitou-Pouf-Youpi
The general scheme is always the same in terms of the story and the plot also in relation to the "general strength/potential" of the characters (that doesn't mean always win a fight):
  • Gon (The main character/The strongest in terms of "general strength" for the plot) > Killua (The secondary character) > Kurapika > Leorio (The weakest/"Dumbest")
  • Yusuke (The main character/The strongest in terms of "general strength" for the plot)> Hiei (The secondary character) > Kurama > Kuwabara (The weakest/"Dumbest")
  • Meruem (The main character/The strongest in terms of "general strength" for the plot) > Pitou (The secondary character) > Pouf > Youpi (The weakest/"Dumbest")

What is your opinion about it?

uberfayt

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Gon is even more talented/gifted than Killua (as said by Biscuit)
When did Biske say that Gon is more talented than Killua?

Diivil

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
He is most likely taking this line out of context. Confusing "potential" with "talent" and he most likely thinks that diamond > sapphire, ignoring any context.

"Gon has bottomless potential"

Well, yeah, Gon has hardly done any dedicated combat training, so it's hard to see what his true limits are, compared to Killua who is a full-fledged professional assassin.

Nobody12

Reaction score
Country
Italy
When she was training them.
Since Biscuit is a treasure hunter, she compared them and their training to "gems to polish":
Gon=Diamond (The most valuable)
Killua=Sapphire

It is easy to understand that in her mind of a treasure hunter: Gon > Killua as Diamond > Sapphire.
Also, the talent of Gon is always been hyped in all the manga.

He is most likely taking this line out of context. Confusing "potential" with "talent"
I think that it is obvious that in the manga it is said in relation to Gon as "generally better" than Killua outside of the difference in "talent" and "potential".

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
No I don't think so. And Gon has never been stronger than Killua at any point of the series excepted when he went Gon-san.

Leorio is just lacking in training compared to the three others but his talent has been highlihted early in the series. More than Kurapika IIRC.

Gon hasn't been said to be more talented than Killua but his fearlessness and ingenuity make him more dangerous in combat.

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
@Nobody12 you made it sound as if it was explicitly and factually stated in the manga that Gon has more talent than Killua.

It is easy to understand that in her mind of a treasure hunter: Gon > Killua as Diamond > Sapphire.
No it's not easy. I think Togashi would have made it less obscure if he wanted to convey that Gon is more talented than Killua. All we know for sure is that they are both extremely talented.

Nobody12

Reaction score
Country
Italy
No I don't think so. And Gon has never been stronger than Killua at any point of the series excepted when he went Gon-san.
Gon,, in the beginning, was "weaker" than Killua because Killua was more trained and already a professional assassin. Instead, Gon never had professional training before the hunter exam and learning Nen.
Also, the fact of having more potential or talent doesn't mean being more skilled. Killua has always been more skilled in combat and abilities also for this reason. For the matter, during York Shin Kurapika was stronger than them because they lacked training.
Also, during Greed Island and Chimera ant, Gon's Nen and aura were greater than Killua's and there aren't elements to stabilize that Killua was stronger than Gon during Greed Island and Chimera ants

Leorio is just lacking in training compared to the three others but his talent has been highlihted early in the series. More than Kurapika IIRC.
I don't remember Leorio's talent being highlighted more than Kurapika.
I think the opposite. Yes, Leorio lacked training because his priority is being a doctor (so using Nen for Medicine) but from the beginning, Leorio was the one with the most difficulties (hunter exam, learning Nen etc..) in relation to Nen, instead, Kurapika was shown better than him in almost everything regarding battles, fights, and abilities.

No it's not easy. I think Togashi would have made it less obscure if he wanted to convey that Gon is more talented than Killua. All we know for sure is that they are both extremely talented.
For me, it is obvious that Gon is "generally better" and has more potential and talent than Killua. (That doesn't mean being more skilled, a better fighter, etc.):
-Biscuit's discussion of Diamond (Gon) and Sapphire (Killua) about their potential
-Gon is the main character and has been overhyped as a child of Ging
-Gon's potential and talent have been hyped by Biscuit, Razor, Meleorn, and Pitou as being limitless (differently from Killua, never stated in this way)
-Adult Gon was the manifestation of Gon's potential
-Pitou compared Gon to the King Meruem for this reason:
  • Gon=Meruem (The main character, the "most gifted")
  • Killua=Pitou (The secondary character)
  • Kurapika=Pouf ("the smartest")
  • Leorio=Youpi (The "dumbest")
Meruem-Pitou-Pouf-Youpi are the main characters of the chimera ants and their group is the opposite of the main characters:
Gon-Killua-Kurapika + Leorio (the less important/ generally "weakest")
Meruem (The most important/Strongest) + Pitou-Pouf-Youpi (The 3 Royal Guards)

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
It’s close, but yeah, I’ve always seen Gon having the most potential of the main four.
I don't remember Leorio's talent being highlighted more than Kurapika.
I think the opposite. Yes, Leorio lacked training because his priority is being a doctor (so using Nen for Medicine) but from the beginning, Leorio was the one with the most difficulties (hunter exam, learning Nen etc..) in relation to Nen, instead, Kurapika was shown better than him in almost everything regarding battles, fights, and abilities.
I’m not sure what they’re referring to early on, but many focus on this comment later:

Though he would still be last among the main four for me.

Nobody12

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I’m not sure what they’re referring to early on, but many focus on this comment later:

I agree on that part.
Leorio has huge potential (as Ging said) because he is one of the main characters.
Gon-Killua-Kurapika-Leorio (in order of potential) have ( all 4) a huge amount of potential as humans since they are the main characters and Togashi symbolically connected them to Meruem-Pitou-Pouf-Youpi of the Chimera ants (all 4 exceptionally strong and with potential among the chimera ants).

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
It’s close, but yeah, I’ve always seen Gon having the most potential of the main four.

When they were training to open the Testing Gates Leorio is the only of the trio who managed to open the second door. In the tournament of the Hunter Exam too it was said that the pros considered him strong enough to defeat Bodoro by himself.

I don't remember people highlighting Kurapika's talent in general. It's mostly his cunning and resolve which are highlighted and when they learn about it, how powerful Emperor Time is.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
When they were training to open the Testing Gates Leorio is the only of the trio who managed to open the second door. In the tournament of the Hunter Exam too it was said that the pros considered him strong enough to defeat Bodoro by himself.

I don't remember people highlighting Kurapika's talent in general. It's mostly his cunning and resolve which are highlighted and when they learn about it, how powerful Emperor Time is.
Ah, yeah.

Though given his Kurta lineage, how quickly he developed his ability (even with Izunavi's help), and how he fought against Uvogin, I would still have Kurapika above him.

Franckie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting theory. Still, Gon and Killua ceased being main characters as of the Elections Arc and have no meaningful connection to the ongoing plot. If by some miracle Togashi gets back to Hiatus x Hiatus, while it is possible for Killua to return, Gon is done.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
while it is possible for Killua to return, Gon is done.
Do you mean in terms of the Dark Continent or just the series in general? If the latter, then Gon is more likely to return given the Gyro connection.

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Germany
My take on it is, in terms of rough talent on Nen:

Kurapika
Killua
Gon
Leorio

Kurapika learned Nen the fastest. While Gon and Kil did not even form a Hatsu yet, Kurapika was able to use oath and limitation and had a dedicated hatsu that worked as a lie detector, as a healing option, as a general weapon and defense and as a way to force others to do his bidding (even without the spider limitation). That is insane. Let's do not forget: The only skill he can only use against spiders is his jail ability. Everything else, going toe on toe with uvogin, was his own strength, while gon and kil would not have had any chance against any individual spider yet by a looooong shot.
Kurapika's innate eye ability helps him out here, but still, Kurapika is a more talented nenmaster than gon and kil ever were. He is even able to teach Nen and has a very complex and versatile hatsu.

Killua is the heir of the zoldyek family for a reason. Gon's ability feed of gon's determination and gon IS talented at Nen. But basically, gon is a powerful enhancer and has a good sense of using his ability for battle, but his Nen skills are not as dedicated as killua's. Killua has a complex transmuter ability with different purposes, one being to become insanely fast, another to use his aura as electricity, yet another to heighten his reflexes so he can outspeed a royal guard for a time. Gon has nothing like that at his disposal. He can keep up with Killua because Gon has other qualities that Killua does not have, but when it comes to the normal potential without gon's insane determination boosts, Killua has him beat.

Gon however is obviously more talented than Leorio, who even struggled with learning Nen when the others could use it already. But Gon's power lies somewhere else. He is not a Nenmaster type like Ging is, Gon is the type of guy who is able to create strong nen Outbursts by his determination and sway others via his personality.

Like Gon, Leorio's potential is not on the side of Nen, but his personality. Leorio and Gon can both do things the other 2 cannot do, for example take leadership positions or inspire by a rash action. But still, Leorio could not do things like going toe on toe with uvogin, transform into leorio san or pummel a royal guard (if for some time).