Info - Art Contest Interviews | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info Art Contest Interviews

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since the interviews with previous art contest winners are scattered throughout the News Archives on the front page, we thought it might be a bit nicer to have them collected all in one place for an easier overview. All future interviews will be added to this thread. With your participation in the upcoming art contests, maybe yours will even be the next one we feature! :amuse

• Please introduce yourself!
    Hello ^^ my name is nat, I've been a member of MangaHelpers since May 2008. I was first attracted to this place because of the cool manga discussions and amazing members <3. I was also interested in the art forums because they give (new) artists a platform to showcase their work and improve.
  • Have you participated in any Arts Contests before?
    On MH I participated in three contests with different categories: Manga colors and fanart.
  • Tell us something about your winning piece. What has inspired you to draw it? Tell us about the process!
    My winning piece? It's a colored fanart featuring 'Team 7' from the manga 'Naruto'.

I drew it for a themed contest [Alternative Universe]. I must admit, it was very interesting to try a different take on my favorite characters. I've drawn them many times but never in alternative setting. It was also a challenge to keep the trio in-character while showing original designs.
  • Any tips for our aspiring artists?
    An age old question... I would say, 'observe and experiment'.

Art is a language and it starts with understanding. By that I mean looking at images and trying to understand what the artist means by them, and how (s)he approaches the design. That's one of the most crucial steps.

Also, art is dedication (there are no shortcuts). Practice what you observe, make mistakes and learn from them. That is the way to get better.
  • Which is the mangaka that inspires you most? Why?
    I'm greatly inspired by mangakas who pay a lot of attention to details, such as the legendary Kentarou Miura (Berserk), Yukimura Makoto (Vinland Saga) and most definitely Masashi Kishimoto for his simpler yet gorgeous style.
  • Where did you learn and how did you begin to draw manga?
    I'm a self taught artist. I started drawing randomly some years ago but only applied myself to fanart in the last 2 years.

If there's a place that helps with fanart/manga coloring, it's most definitely art sections in manga forums. you should stalk them! Members are very friendly and nice, but they won't shy away from giving useful criticism and feedback.
  • Are you satisified with your artwork? What are you trying to accomplish/improve?
    Never . lol. I'm never happy with a picture after I publish it online. I start noticing mistakes right away. I guess that is a good thing because it shows me my weaknesses.
    I would like to learn more about different styles (cell, soft, painting, realism, etc...), and add more details .
  • How do you like the MH community so far?
    I really like the community here at MH. Like many communities, it has an overarching culture, but it also has interesting subcultures. It isn't perfect, but the community is getting better with age. If the mods and members continue to work together, MH could go from great to amazing.
  • Leave a message for the fellow users!
    I'd like to send my love and appreciation to my heroes (aka regulars) at the Naruto Discussion Forum (you know who you are <3). Coz you are epic and you should know that you are the best.
    (regardless of off-topicing and Sauce-bashing (lol)). Keep doing what you do, you keep my alter ego sane. Thank you!

• Please introduce yourself!
    Hello! My (nick)name is nereidaia, I’m from Germany and I’m a cleaner/tl checker/sometimes typesetter for Maximum7’s Bleach & Darker than Black Edited Mangas. I’ve been with M7 for about 2 years now. Cleaning really got me into all things Photoshop, as in colourations and 2D art.
  • Have you participated in any Arts Contests before?
    I haven’t really participated in any Arts Contests before, mainly because I’m still trying to find my own style when it comes to digital art. Colouration is somewhat ‘easy’ because the frame is already given with the line art and I’ve just got to fill it with colours and shapes.
  • Tell us something about your winning piece. What has inspired you to draw it? Tell us about the process!
    “Starrk, ready for battle” was a spur of the moment colouration. Every Bleach page featuring a single panel is interesting for me to colour, but it was during the chat with my fellow Bleach cleaners in our IRC channel that I really felt like doing it. They gave me a lot of feedback during the process, too, which definitely helped improve the overall look.
    Most challenging was probably to get the fur to look right. I was aiming for a natural light grey/crème wolf fur look.
  • Any tips for our aspiring artists?
    Tips for aspiring artists: Really look at other people’s works, how and why they did things a certain way. There’s tons of really great colourations and original art out there on the web. Lots of helpful tutorials, too. But of course, the best way to learn and get better is by practicing and trying things out.
  • Which is the mangaka that inspires you most? Why?
    Eh, there is no specific mangaka that inspires me the most. Since I’m mainly cleaning Bleach every week, it’s the biggest temptation for me to colour. Otherwise, I like how many mangaka draw people and clothes, especially folds.
  • Where did you learn and how did you begin to color manga?
    I started to seriously colouring about the same time I started cleaning. There’s that one coloured page I did in the very first Bleach chapter I cleaned. Before that I’ve been dabbling in Photoshop, but like I mentioned before, cleaning gave me a focus and a purpose to actually delve more deeply into Photoshop and its many, many tools.
  • Are you satisified with your artwork? What are you trying to accomplish/improve?
    Sadly, I’m too much a perfectionist to ever be really satisfied with my artwork. Even with ‘Starrk’ there are small things I’d like to improve but I’m forcing myself not to. I’m not that good at sketching, that’s the main area I want to improve in. But there are many other techniques I want to explore, maybe even venture into 3D for original artwork.
  • How do you like the MH community so far?
    I really like the MH community and everything it has to offer. I’m not getting as involved in forums as I used to be, but whenever I look for some info, raws, Edited Mangas and so on, MH is the first place I go to.
  • Leave a message for the fellow users!
    Support free Edited Mangas! ^_^ And good quality scans, too! If you are interested in Photoshop, colourations and Edited Mangas, learning how to clean is a good way to start. Maximum7 is always looking for new cleaners, and we’ve got a great academy in our forum to teach you all the basics and then a bit to get you off a good start. If you have questions and want to chat, find me in the MH and M7 channels. I’ll be glad to help if I can!

1.Please introduce yourself to us!

Yo I'm Elkin. I'm a translator for 2 groups (Vagrants, Domo) and 2 novel series (Baccano!, Durarara!!). Real life's threatening to turn me into an ex-translator though.

Also in the process of being converted into one of the horde of the mindless zombies... known as the Auditors... dun dun dun....

2.Have you participated in any Arts Contests before?

Yuppers, the Summer one.

Here's his entry for the Summer colored art contest. You can also see it at his DeviantArt gallery.

3. Tell us something about your winning piece. What inspired you to draw it?

I'd been meaning to do a Nurarihyon fan art for a while, I wanted to draw, and I had a sketch (if you can call 5-odd lines that) sitting on my computer for a long while. Then I saw the Autumn contest with 2 days left, went 'oh ****', and started drawing.

Nothing like stress to get the creative juices flowing.

Frankly though? The submission of sketches to the Black & White category. That ticked me off more than some submissions to the Colour Fan art section... Perhaps I'm being a tad harsh here, but I personally feel that putting sketches, especially messy ones, under B&W is an insult to all the manga, comic and B&W artists out there. B&W is about working with contrasts… it’s not just a case of drawing.

4. Any tips for our aspiring artists?

Practice. Especially practice stuff you hate... be it backgrounds, or colours, or a particular style. It's also pretty useful looking at other people's work and mimicking their style. Mind you, copying someone’s art and copying their styles are two completely different things. Please, don't copy their art. You don't learn anything.

Also, try not to use the erase tool (says the person who abuses it to no end). And learn to do art using traditional mediums, i.e. pencil, inks, chalks, paints etc. You learn so much more than way... and it shows in your digital work.

5. Which is the mangaka that inspires you most? Why?

...I can't say there is any specific mangaka who inspires me. But generally speaking, I admire those who can change their style when the story calls for it, or weave stories that can capture the imagination of the reader and make them go '...wow, I'm glad I read that'.

Inspiration-wise, I draw it mostly from characters I'm particularly fond of. It's why I draw people... background bores me, even though it's an essential part of drawing, or indeed, any picture.

6. Where did you learn and how did you begin to draw/color/write manga?

I think very few people learn to draw manga from the get go. But anyway, I started drawing when I was quite young, stopped before I was 10, then picked it up again 4 years ago.

I don’t remember exactly why I drew when I was young (don’t all kids draw when they’re young?). As for 4 years ago, I picked up drawing again because: a) I had too much time, b) it was the time I got into anime/manga, c) several of my friends were into it.

7. Are you satisified with your artwork? What are you trying to accomplish/improve?

Satisfied? Hardly. I'm actually trying not to draw manga-style. Failing rather miserably... It really doesn't help when your hobbies include manga and anime.

What I'm trying to accomplish... is to put the pictures in my head down onto digital paper. Digital, because I really don't have the time/energy/money/knowledge to dabble on the traditional art side. Bad, I know, but I gotta keep the dough rolling in.

Improvements-wise, I'd like to be able to pull off realism. Even just once. I also badly need to start drawing backgrounds, because I fail so hard at it it's not even funny.

8. How do you like the MH community so far?

Can't say I'm an active participant, especially forums-wise, so I'm not in any position to comment. I really appreciate the time and effort njt, other staff and translators are pouring into this site though The system makes everything so much easier, especially in terms of linking translators to Manga Editors.

9. Leave a message for the fellow users!

Support the publishers! And Vagrants is in dire need of people... typesetters, translators, proofreaders, cleaners are all welcome!

Well on most forums my name is [user]Waking_Dreamer[/user] or some variation of that, people usually refer to mewith a shorter version such as W_D, Dreamer or Waking - whichever its all good. My RL nickname is Mike and Im a design graduate so you could say Im visually inclined.

No cant say that I have...lol

3. Tell us something about your winning piece. What inspired you to color this panel?
Well the entry wasnt specifically done for the contest, I think I completed it a few months before. Though when I first saw it, I was so inspired by it I thought it would be a total crime if it only ever reamined in black and white.

Something that I find challenging is the cleaning of the panels like removing speech bubbles or text over the image and redrawing in the art. Another tricky part is chosing the colour scheme as I usually dont have reference in the colour since the anime version ended years ago.

Anyway I first started with the base colours (what the colour of the main parts of the image will be), and then on different layers experiment with the shadows and highlights. Aspects like that really add another dimension to the image! Finally I go into the details like glows, and overall touch ups. Thats a bit simplified by those ar the main steps with trial and error added in...

Grand Fang Fire Bird and Rising Up to Fight Again!
His other two submissions to the Autumn Art Contest.​

Always continue exploring different sources for inspiration whether their from professional mangaka or other fellow users - yet at the same time dont be afraid to develop your own style, and practise and practise - dont get too down if it doesnt end up not so flash in the beginning.

When it comes to artistic aspects I would have to say Oh!Great is pretty much up there! Theres not an aspect I dont think hes at least great at!

Hes awesome with fashion - check out his characters there always wearing the most stylish and detailed clothes. (id like to own some of his sets)

Fantasy - check out Air Gear's shadow designs (like my contest entry) he always has epic ideas and whether their cliche ideas or not his execution always makes you go - damn that looks good!

Technology/mech - whether their accurate military vehicles - futuristic motor bikes - high-tech roller blades or even mech suits he does them all!

Background/buildings - whether its a virtual fantasy world or a complete cityscape and harbour - he wont skimp on the details and give you a landscape to awe at...

Character design/Presentation - Im really into his character designs and he only refines them more and more as the manga continues. Hes not just good at close ups and "model type poses" - he'll draw his characters in great action shots and movements that will draw you in!

As mentioned before, being a design graduate software tools such Photoshop and Illustrator arent new to me, though the first time I was inspired enough (and had the time) to have a go at colouring in a panel was with my piece called "The Sky King - Awakens" (I think thats in my photoplog too).

7. Are you satisified with your artwork? What are you trying to accomplish/improve?

My entry turned out much better than I expected. I actually learned a lot of little techniques and tricks with that one - that has helped my future ones.

As for improvements, I usually do very anime/vector type colourings - one day I hope to be good at the more painted, gradual tones too.

Its a good community, I havent gone through all the forums but the ones I frequent have nice posters who like to discuss and give feedback while there isn't any trolling and bashing of ideas - which is great!

I'd say have a go at checking out all different types of manga! Dont limit yourself to say the standard shounen. A lot of Edited Manga groups work hard at releasing chapters for other manga and you owe it to yourself to not miss out on those stories and experiences - it'll give you a lot more to talk about on the forums and not wait restlessly for the weekly few too!

Wow, ok!..Uh, I've never been interviewed like that before, but I'll do my best. ^^
1. HI !! :p I'm Bohemia22, natürlich! I'm not a girl, I'm 16 and I live in Prague, Czech Republic. I like sports, music, my friends!, partying!, pc gaimz, playing the guitar, drawing, reading...much more other stuff I'd spend a day naming. And I want to become a great ROCK ARTIST one day!! :D

2. No, I haven't...or wait, maybe once in some coloring contest here on MH, but I failed miserably.

3. Hmm..I guess you can count my piece as a fanart..? Well, I really like this guy called Slash. He's my favourite guitar player and mainly he inspired me to pick up the guitar, too. So when I was in the middle of coloring some manga page, I suddenly felt bored with it. I realized, that I need a change. I've always liked to draw people, so after a while I ended up with this. I found a picture of Slash on the internet, used it as a reference and worked on my picture for a few days. It came out pretty good, so I posted it on deviantart, but got 0 reactions whatsoever. Then I saw this contest on MH and I had one of those "why not?" moments, so I threw it in.

4. Heh. You would expect some handy tips from an experienced, badass artist, not me. Just keep doing what you like, no matter what anyone tells you, they don't know sh*t.

5. Kentarou Miura. He's the creator of Berserk...that should be enough for every one of you, but in case someone has been living in a llama pack for the last 30 years...his art style is just awesome. Check it out for yourself.

6. Awfully long ago, I saw this Zarosaki manga coloring tutorial. It caught my interest and then I just colored one manga page after another. Cel shading became my priority. And I never learned to draw. I can't draw very well anyway.

7. Hmm...I hate the background, I tried to think up something crazy and original, but I was too lazy. I'd love to paint something big one day...big atmospheric landscape painting.

8. It's great! People here can really discuss in the true meaning of the word.

9. Hold onto your dreams! :)

1. I'm Rikulaw my friends often just Riku or Reki for short. I'm used this name in various other place too. Other than drawing, I love to read fictions. My fav genres are fantasy, horror, comedy, and action preferable a shounen one and I accept any anime/manga/game from kid to adult one as long as it's good in my opinion. I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm sorry if my English kinda confusing.

2. A few times in MangaFox's AOTF and once in DA group. Never participated in a real-life official one.

3. It's a fanart of Zekrom the version mascot for Pokemon White. I draw it when the game just want to be released. I love the design so I try to draw it. Actually this piece is my first time to fully shade the drawing using this kind of hatching.

4. Practice. I'm sure anyone always suggest this, but this is the most important thing to do since no one already good at something in the beginning.... hmm... except genius maybe...

5. If it got to be a mangaka then I should say Hoshino Katsura. I love her work and often use it as a drawing reference even though actually I use so many reference from so many artist. Since it's got to be mangaka and the most, it's Hoshino Katsura.

6. I'm learn it myself usually by trying out some things by myself and sometimes use a reference book. I began to draw when I began to be addicted to manga. The drawings are so good and nicely done so I can't help but to try to copy it as I already have an interest in drawing ever since I can remember. Somehow I found myself began to drawing fanarts and sometimes my own OCs.

7. Should say no. Maybe I'm satisfied with the piece when I think it's enough and uploaded it. But the more I see it the less I fell satisfied with it. Right now I'm trying to improve my traditional drawing and CG coloring even though I'm still not good at it.

8. MH is a good manga forum I see so far even though I'm not an active user. I should say it's pretty easy to find an important information about several manga series since the forum arranged very neatly.

9. At first thank you for everyone that participating in this Art Contest either by submitting a work or by voting. Of course I especially thank the one that vote for me. Please keep participating from now on too.

And one more, please buy the original manga if you got some extra cash. At least your most favorite title. The mangaka put their effort on making those manga(s) and it's really hard to make one. So please support them even for a little (but not at the minimum). ^^

Er...what should I say,I'm Googlez_kun and everyone calls me Googlez or Goo.I'm from Berlin (that's in Germany for those who don't know:p)My favourite manga,as you may have guessed is Naruto,even though i also love other manga.I also enjoy drawing and coloring.I'm pretty lazy and also like all the stuff everybody likes:<music,food and hanging out with friends.I guess you could say that i'm pretty boring.xDIf you want to know more about me,you can come to the Fun Forums and hang out with us crazy users or just read the interview^^

I never took part in any kind of art contest.I had the intention,but never really finished my works or just forgot to submit my entry.The only time i managed to do that was in a MH contest,but without success.The second time i participated in a contest was in this Summer Art Contest.

3.What do you find most challenging in colouring panels?

I don't really have problems with shades,colors or stuff like that,but what still challenges me is the atmosphere.I always try to find the fitting mood depending on the story and the characters.I mainly color Naruto panels for i want to create the dark mood,which is hidden in Naruto,with my colors.

Just like Dynamic Dragon/Pokefreak once said It is like this: ART = 10% Talent + 90% Practise. It's all about practise,but that's nothing new i guess.I'm not really a great artist,so i'm not in the position to give tips,but i can tell you one thing:Take every kind of critic into considerisation.Even if it sounds harsh sometimes,don't see it as an insult,but as an important advice.You won't get far if you always just hear "Awesome job" or "Nice".

If I had to chose one,i would definitly take Kishimoto Masashi and no,it's not because i'm a Narutard.There are amazing and outstanding manga-ka out there,who also inspired me,but that only for a short time.Kishimoto somehow always manages to inspire me and not only with Naruto.His art is rather simple,but still really fresh.I also like his nihilistic writing style,even though he has to hide that often,because Naruto is a shonen.

I started drawing manga when i was really small,i think i was in third grade then.I had a Pokemon sticker book,which i was quite proud of,and traced my favourite Pokemon.Obviously i watched Pokemon and other anime on tv,so i always drew the characters and got into drawing,reading and buying manga.I taught everything to myself or rather by looking at the volumes at home.

I'm quite satisfied with this one,but it's not perfect,obviously.I still have problems when it comes to backgrounds,which is clearly visible here,so i'm trying to improve on that.

The MH community is great!:DI like the converstation in the discussion forums and all the talk about manga,but for me the best parts of MH are where you can just chat with other people like the mods in the Getting in Touch forum.Not to forget the Fun Forums,my favourite place.:p
Sadly,the Manga Art forums are not as active as in the past,but it's still nice there.

First of all,thanks to everyone who voted for my coloring!I also want to thank everyone who participated in this coloring contest and i hope that some users from the Amateur Contest will show up in the Advanced Contest.;)
Thank you for reading my interview,i hope it was not too long!:)

Hi, I'm Farfalla!^^ Or Mariana, as people call me in my country XD ok, I could give many other names, but let's stay with those. I'll be 25 in november 1st xP and I'm brazilian. Live in a smaller version of Rio. A cuter one! I'm a forest engeneer, and I dunno what else should I say XD Oh, yeah: Mãe, estou na MH!

I've participated only in sig contests and MH birthday contests. This is the first time I submit a coloured art.

I had a hard time using light and shadows ._. I still do. I'm just not good in that XD Sometimes God bless me with a miracle and I can produce something... cute XD But I guess that's all I can do XD I coloured a piece from Kawashita (Hatsukoi Limited and Ichigo 100% mangaka), 'cause I think her art is very beautiful, love it. Just tried to add some soft and live colors, with some bright effects. I guess I'm not that good to be able to say what exactly I've done there XD I mean... naming the... "techiniques". And it's been quite a while since I've done it.

I guess... Just follow your own taste and don't be shy XD If someone knows something that interets you, ask about it^^ If he or she says "no", just google xP

Ai Yazawa. I just love her work. That woman rly knows how to write a deep story. I rly don't like shoujo manga (and, yeah, I know, Nana and Paradise Kiss aren't exectly shoujo), but her characters make us feel all they're feeling. She knows how to make a plot in order to make you curious and distract you from what she's rly planning to do. I feel like a lil girl reading her work xP Anyway, I'm glad I can buy her manga in Brazil, now XD

I've "learned" thru the web! I mean, "learn" 'cause I'm not very good, yet. Just saw some effects I thought were beautiful and started trying to do them myself. Sometimes, I just checked some tutorials.

I am^^ I mean, I'm satisfied with that one XD For a first piece, I think it's ok. I still have a lot to learn. I wish I could do some rly great coloring, so that I could make some panels that I like even prettier. Guess manga fans like when they can admire mangaka art in some great color.

I looove MH community! You guys are rly fun! Very friendly and polite, [usually] XD I've made great friends on Portuguese thread! Even met some of them already. True friends! (Te adoro, Patezudo XD!) And people from the Fun section, from Minority game thread too, they are sooo great! Also get along with people from Signature Contest thread! Kind and helpful people^^ Even learned important things about Editing here, with some members^^ I'm a MH fan^^

I'm rly sry for my bad english xP And sry if I ever caused problems to anyone! I'm inviting you all to meet Portuguese, Fun and Signature threads! You'll be very welcome in any one of these threads, and I promise you'll have a lot of fun, there. If you'd like to meet Brazil, also, do it '-' We rly love when we can make money with tourism xP Take care^^

~Far

1. Please introduce yourself to us!

Hey everyone, my name is Bugzee; although there are quite a few people on MH that refer to me by the name of Jin. Bugzee, Jin or Bug, I don’t mind. So yeah, I’ve been a member on MH for nearly two years now. I’m mainly active in the One Piece section, if not; then I’m exploring the depths of the English Language in the Fun Forum. 8D I also post in the Otaku Boards from time to time when I get motivated or feel a need too lol. Someone please post in the Hip Hop thread! It's dying! :cheerbunny

2. Have you participated in any Arts Contests before?

I’ve only been participating in the bi-weekly signature contests since February 2010. I fell in love with this contest since “day one”. All the contestants who participate (be it for one week only or for months) have all been a great help to myself and my fellow peers and there’s a great vibe/atmosphere in the All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010. So be sure to check it out!

Note to the readers: if you like a particular piece, have any suggestions or would like to simply compliment a certain someone; you’re more than welcome to join in with the discussions in the All Purpose Sig Contest Discussion Thread 2010. =D

Practice, be patient and take into account any related-suggestions/compliments. Don’t give up on an idea; see through it because you never know how it’ll turn out in the end!

Truth be told, I was about to give up on this One Piece Sig. There was just way too many things I wanted to put into it. The only thing I would change would be the “squiggly lines”. Yeah, I know. It was a mistake. >.<

I can’t really say there is one…just yet.

I was a pretty good drawer/painter when I was in school which was fun and I did for a certain time continue to practice at home as a hobby if you like. However, I never for a second consider it anything more.

I picked up Photoshop by myself. At first, it was a bit confusing and annoying but I’m slowly getting there. Experimenting and playing around with the tools and features in PS pretty much helped me out in getting to grips with everything lol.

7. Are you satisfied with your artwork? What are you trying to accomplish/improve?

Off course! I enjoy creating an art piece from scratch, colouring and designing it. The possibilities are endless; the obstacles are always interesting and only give you more experience and aid in the future. I’m not accomplishing something in particular whenever I make a piece. I just like the creative part of these contests. Developing my skills as I go along is the only accomplishment in my mind. You win some, you lose some. If people like and appreciate my work as well; then it’s a bonus. =)

Naturally, some sections I enjoy/like more than others. You’ll always find something different in each section; besides the related-discussions. =P I’m talking about the atmosphere and the members. No matter what section of MH you visit; you’ll always find something new to take a look at and learn from…

Nearly everyone on the boards are cool and friendly to talk too, so I’m a very happy member. I have no complaints. :D

A huge thanks goes to all those who voted for me. I love you all! I spent three days straight working on that signature piece and experimenting with all sorts of combinations to make it look so goooooood xD. I’m very pleased with the outcome and I’m glad many of you like it too. *.*

If you haven’t yet, be sure to check out the Fun Forum; you’ll never, ever find another place quite like it on the interwebz hehehe~

You are all most welcome to join and participate in the Bi-weekly Signature Contest as well! It’s a pretty awesome contest. Oh and Happy 5th Birthday MH!!!

Hello~ My name's Hana and I'm actually pretty new to MH. I joined a few months ago to find a job as an illustrator for a writer here.

I haven't been in any contests before, so this was really a great surprise to me!

This piece wasn't created for the contest, but I feel as if it is one of my most distinct digital works. I have received much praise on this piece by teachers, family and friends alike. Before the application of tone, the piece seemed a bit dull, since most of the large spaces were filled with one color. I decided to sort of run wild with my strokes and erased certain areas frantically to add interest. I initially wanted to emulate another piece I saw, but instead decided to play around with screentone more, since I aspire to work as a Manga-ka in the future.

If I were to say anything to anyone who wants to become an artist, I'd say that no one can really teach you how to draw or paint or whatever. We all have influence from somewhere, but we shouldn't be intimidated by what we can and can't do. If creating is your passion, you will create and no matter what anyone says, you will know that you've done a fantastic job.

I actually have a few inspirations, but I suppose the most influential is Takeshi Obata, artist of the series Death Note. I've always loved how precise their work is and how clean and perfect the manga panels look. I hope to be able to create pages as beautiful as those.

I started off drawing manga using one of those "How to Draw Manga" books, and now I can't stand to look at my old drawings. It's not that I hate them, it's just that the quality between the two is so far apart that unless I knew that I did them, I wouldn't believe it. I still have them, though, my very first drawings. They allow me to look back and say, "Well, at least I've made some progress".

I am very satisfied with this piece! I adore it! It's one of the few pieces I am not afraid to show to my professors and friends. Digital works used to be a bit discouraging to me, especially since I had no idea how to create them. Still, I wouldn't say I'm amazing at CGing. I still want to learn how to create more 3-dimensional pieces. I love my style, but I want to be able to retain my traditional skills within the digital world.

The community is very friendly and easy to understand. I'm so glad that I managed to find it and I hope that someone can employ me (soon) so that I can create more art.

Thank you all for your votes. I didn't know what to submit at first and I was sure I'd lose to the other amazing pieces! But thank you, thank you and I hope that you keep me in mind the next time I enter a contest!

Hello I'm Hystzen formally know as Hyst-Gundam when first joined this forum

No, this was my first contest. I was going to enter Summer contest but missed the deadline.

My drawing was inspired by the fact that I always listen to the band Muse when I draw so I decided to draw the lead singer. I enjoy using more traditional media then photoshop etc so I used pencil to draw it.

JUST DRAW…Ive been told I'm rubbish by art teachers before but I draw what I want when I'm in the mood. Also, music helps a lot get in a mood to do your artwork. Me, I get a cup of tea, put ipod on, then just draw. Sometimes its good, sometimes its bad, but it doesn't put me off.

Hmmm... this is hard because there is not a manga that I find that inspires my drawing style. I tend to draw a lot of Bleach which I've contributed to the tournament that is underway.

I have taken a couple of art courses in college but it not until recently when I seemed to have just clicked. Maybe, because Im stubborn and only want draw what I like.lol.

7. Are you satisfied with your artwork? What are you trying to accomplish/improve?

Yea im pretty satisfied. It looks great and I love it, yet still aim to get better and get a winning piece in every contest from now on.

I enjoy the people I talk to in Fun Forum (yo guys n girls )and a few people in Bleach area.

If you aim to draw just do it..ignore what ever teachers say they want you to draw in there style..find your own..if you like bleach join in the bleach tournament.

Hi, my name is Stam, and i'm from Greece.I would like to start by thanking all the people who voted for my piece, and those who are spending some time to read this interview.Finally i want to thank my fellow competitors for such good competition. I believe the MH art contests entries get better and better each time.

No actually thats the first contest i participated in. I tried to participate on one of your previous contests but i missed the deadline

3. Was your piece created specifically for the contest? Tell us about the process!
This piece was not just created for this contest, but also inspired by it. Hence the autumn theme.You have my gratitude to you for inspiring me.

Feel what you are drawing. If you draw something happy be happy, if something sad, be sad. Act the role and become the character.

Style wise i have to go with Obata Takeshi (Death Note) and Yoon Joon-shik (Veritas) I think they are both amazing artists. I really look up to their linework. Plot wise i'll go cliche and say Kishimoto as Naruto is one of my favorite stories at the moment.

I'm self taught, its something i was always interested in so it was just a process of trial and error. Seeing, doing and trying. (and reading lots of tutorials )

No, I cant say i am 100% satisfied with my level of skill yet. I hope i dont sound arrogant but I'm sure i can do better.There is plenty of room for improvement. At least i think its good to know were you lack.

MH is one of the best communities around on the subject. Its activity is proof of its quality!

I always have trouble with closing things, so i'll leave it with a cliffhanger. See ya in the winter competition.....

Hello~ My name's Hana and I'm actually pretty new to MH. I joined a few months ago to find a job as an illustrator for a writer here.

I haven't been in any contests before, so this was really a great surprise to me!

This piece wasn't created for the contest, but I feel as if it is one of my most distinct digital works. I have received much praise on this piece by teachers, family and friends alike. Before the application of tone, the piece seemed a bit dull, since most of the large spaces were filled with one color. I decided to sort of run wild with my strokes and erased certain areas frantically to add interest. I initially wanted to emulate another piece I saw, but instead decided to play around with screentone more, since I aspire to work as a Manga-ka in the future.

If I were to say anything to anyone who wants to become an artist, I'd say that no one can really teach you how to draw or paint or whatever. We all have influence from somewhere, but we shouldn't be intimidated by what we can and can't do. If creating is your passion, you will create and no matter what anyone says, you will know that you've done a fantastic job.

I actually have a few inspirations, but I suppose the most influential is Takeshi Obata, artist of the series Death Note. I've always loved how precise their work is and how clean and perfect the manga panels look. I hope to be able to create pages as beautiful as those.

I started off drawing manga using one of those "How to Draw Manga" books, and now I can't stand to look at my old drawings. It's not that I hate them, it's just that the quality between the two is so far apart that unless I knew that I did them, I wouldn't believe it. I still have them, though, my very first drawings. They allow me to look back and say, "Well, at least I've made some progress".

I am very satisfied with this piece! I adore it! It's one of the few pieces I am not afraid to show to my professors and friends. Digital works used to be a bit discouraging to me, especially since I had no idea how to create them. Still, I wouldn't say I'm amazing at CGing. I still want to learn how to create more 3-dimensional pieces. I love my style, but I want to be able to retain my traditional skills within the digital world.

The community is very friendly and easy to understand. I'm so glad that I managed to find it and I hope that someone can employ me (soon) so that I can create more art.

Thank you all for your votes. I didn't know what to submit at first and I was sure I'd lose to the other amazing pieces! But thank you, thank you and I hope that you keep me in mind the next time I enter a contest!

Last edited: