Theory - Arthur's family | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Arthur's family

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Arthur's full name is Arthur Pendragon. In NNT no blood relative of his was known/confirmed. It was said that Uther adopted him and Kay is his big brother( 3 years older).

In MnY we finally got Gawain who is presented as his blood-related niece.

I don't know much about Arthurian Legends but I know there are retellings, changes etc even though certain things stay the same. Which family trees are more popular/commonly used? How do you think Nakaba will handle things in this series? In these stories Gawain is the kid of Arthur's sister Morgause and sometimes Morgan Le Fay I believe.

Do you think this series's Arthur currently has a son i.e Mordred? Or will he be his nephew(apparently there are versions where he is) etc. If he has truly blood relative where do you think they were in NNT?

Yakkun

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wonder if Arthur knows about his true parents or not. I have a feeling they might not even originate from Britania but from a different country. Could be a somewhat similar situation to Escanor's, who was a prince from another kingdom, which is now destroyed (I forgot whether that kingdom was located in Britania or not). It would be curious if we actually saw Kay again at some point. He might even be one of the Camelot knights in this iteration of the story/stories.

I personally don't think Arthur has any offspring yet but we might get a time-skip in this manga and later on in the story Mordred might be brought into the manga.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Arthur's full name is Arthur Pendragon. In NNT no blood relative of his was known/confirmed. It was said that Uther adopted him and Kay is his big brother( 3 years older).

I don't know much about Arthurian Legends but I know there are retellings, changes etc even though certain things stay the same. Which family trees are more popular/commonly used? How do you think Nakaba will handle things in this series? In these stories Gawain is the kid of Arthur's sister Morgause and sometimes Morgan Le Fay I believe.

Do you think this series's Arthur currently has a son i.e Mordred? Or will he be his nephew(apparently there are versions where he is) etc. If he has truly blood relative where do you think they were in NNT?
Is she really a confirmed blood relative, though? She could be the daughter of any of his adopted siblings, right?

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Is she really a confirmed blood relative, though? She could be the daughter of any of his adopted siblings, right?
Nothing is confirmed but that's how she has been introduced. Tristan said she is related to Arthur by blood and she claimed that she has royal blood.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I wonder if Arthur knows about his true parents or not. I have a feeling they might not even originate from Britania but from a different country. Could be a somewhat similar situation to Escanor's, who was a prince from another kingdom, which is now destroyed (I forgot whether that kingdom was located in Britania or not). It would be curious if we actually saw Kay again at some point. He might even be one of the Camelot knights in this iteration of the story/stories.

I personally don't think Arthur has any offspring yet but we might get a time-skip in this manga and later on in the story Mordred might be brought into the manga.
It seems like the main story will be 4 years later. IMO if there is a Mordred then he exists already and is 16 or maybe 12 like Guinevere. Assuming it's a normal kid and not some Homonculus because most of the time I think Mordred is born from an incestuous relationship AFAIK.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Nothing is confirmed but that's how she has been introduced. Tristan said she is related to Arthur by blood and she claimed that she has royal blood.
Oh, I didn't remember that wording. I guess we will have to wait until we see who Gawain's parents are but... I feel it's very confusing. Where would blood siblings of Arthur have come from out of nowhere?

:grumble I think there were also theories about her being actually related to Merlin, perhaps not genetically but as an homunculus? To explain why she seems to have spells similar to hers, and those looks, while also Sunshine.

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

It seems like the main story will be 4 years later. IMO if there is a Mordred then he exists already and is 16 or maybe 12 like Guinevere. Assuming it's a normal kid and not some Homonculus because most of the time I think Mordred is born from an incestuous relationship AFAIK.
For better or for worse we always have to take into account that this is not a re-telling of the Arthurian legends and stories in manga form but merely an influenced piece of fiction. Nakaba still has plenty of freedom. He can make Mordred grow up in merely four years, if we are taking this potentially coming time skip into account here. Lmao magic and stuff. Provided Arthur hasn't mating-presse'd some poor lass already, of course. Can't really exclude that possibility.

As for Gawain - if she is really blood related (and that is not a cleverly propagated lie to cover up some really weird experimental shit on Merlin's part with Escanor's essence) to Arthur and she referred to her grandparents praising her as tEh StronKesT then I hope we get to see these people. Because they might be the only other living blood relatives Arthur still has. The parent part on both Arthur's and Gawain's background is either not very important because they are already dead and gone or some stuff is being omitted here on purpose because they will play a role later or some alternate truth is going to be revealed.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Oh, I didn't remember that wording. I guess we will have to wait until we see who Gawain's parents are but... I feel it's very confusing. Where would blood siblings of Arthur have come from out of nowhere?

:grumble I think there were also theories about her being actually related to Merlin, perhaps not genetically but as an homunculus? To explain why she seems to have spells similar to hers, and those looks, while also Sunshine.
There is the popular "Gawain is a Homonculus with Merlin genes who has Sunshine powers thanks to her kiss with Escanor" which would make her their daughter in a way but the blood related thing breaks that theory.

It is not impossible, Gawain could have been lied to but I am not not too interested in this one probably because I didn't care about Merlin and Escanor as a pairing. It's also kinda boring LOL.

Last edited:

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
There is the popular "Gawain is a Homonculus with Merlin genes who has Sunshine powers used thanks to her kiss with Escanor" which would make her their daughter in a way but the blood related thing breaks that theory.

It is not impossible, Gawain could have been lied to but I am not not too interested into this one probably because I didn't care about Merlin and Escanor as a pairing. It's also kinda boring LOL.
To be fair, neither was Nakaba interested in that pairing.

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany
It is not impossible, Gawain could have been lied to but I am not not too interested into this one probably because I didn't care about Merlin and Escanor as a pairing. It's also kinda boring LOL.

Huff
Hhhhnnnnnnnghhhhhh

HERESYYYYYYYYY

In all seriousness though - what's stopping Nakaba from performing a story telling twist and compressing some of the Arthurian lore into a single event? What If Gawain is both Gawain and Mordred, in a manner of speaking?

She's the one 4KotA we know least about. She is also the greatest trouble maker. She is a suspect by default due to her relation to Arthur. The whole tragedy behind Mordred as a person was that he was this taboo child born from a really horrible and detestable events. What if Gawain is already filling that role by her being a freak experiment created by Merlin from Arthur's essence, hers and Escanor's? What if her personal quest will be deciding what path she wants to tread in the future? Will she become loyal to Arthur, becoming "Mordred" (not literally but fulfilling the role of that character, as Arthur's child legacy)? Or will she stay "Gawain", one of the 'good guys', so to speak.

Ah, perhaps I'm expecing far too much of Nakabas writing skills but he HAS surprised all of us before at one moment or another in the past.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Huff
Hhhhnnnnnnnghhhhhh

HERESYYYYYYYYY

In all seriousness though - what's stopping Nakaba from performing a story telling twist and compressing some of the Arthurian lore into a single event? What If Gawain is both Gawain and Mordred, in a manner of speaking?

She's the one 4KotA we know least about. She is also the greatest trouble maker. She is a suspect by default due to her relation to Arthur. The whole tragedy behind Mordred as a person was that he was this taboo child born from a really horrible and detestable events. What if Gawain is already filling that role by her being a freak experiment created by Merlin from Arthur's essence, hers and Escanor's? What if her personal quest will be deciding what path she wants to tread in the future? Will she become loyal to Arthur, becoming "Mordred" (not literally but fulfilling the role of that character, as Arthur's child legacy)? Or will she stay "Gawain", one of the 'good guys', so to speak.

Ah, perhaps I'm expecing far too much of Nakabas writing skills but he HAS surprised all of us before at one moment or another in the past.
I think Nakaba wouldn't merge characters like this simply because he is an Arthurian Legends nerd but who knows.

Yakkun

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I think Nakaba wouldn't merge characters like this simply because he is an Arthurian Legends nerd but who knows.

After last week's chapter nothing's off the table anymore lol

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

After last week's chapter nothing's off the table anymore lol
One of the reasons I made this thread because something I thought wouldn't happen happened :sweatdrop .

About Arthur, I think the most vanilla theory would be that he is really the son of Uther, but it was hidden because of an affair or something(apparently it's how Arthur is born in some stories).

I wonder if Uther is even alive because we have never seen him. We have only seen Kay in that side story and this cover page where he should be 18 I guess?

Gawain is Arthur's niece but Pellegarde doesn't know her. It's possible that Uther, Kay and a few others left Camelot to live somewhere else once Arthur became king? And Gawain lived her but left when she met Tristan.

Arthurchik

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation

I think Arthur and Escanor are blood related.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France

Ann Firestar

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
TBH I considered that possibility back then because of the hair color but I never strongly believed in it. We know Escanor's kingdom got destroyed and it means his family is probably dead but if there is a link I guess it will be said that his father or mother had siblings.
Well his brother Daymond was at least 6 years older than him which makes him about 30 when Arthur was born.
Castello was destroyed by the barbarians, but maybe he escaped.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Well his brother Daymond was at least 6 years older than him which makes him about 30 when Arthur was born.
Castello was destroyed by the barbarians, but maybe he escaped.
Did they ever talk about the age difference or Daymond's age at all? I don't remember that.

Ann Firestar

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Did they ever talk about the age difference or Daymond's age at all? I don't remember that.
No I just think that judging by his appearance in Escanors flashback. He may be both younger and older.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
No I just think that judging by his appearance in Escanors flashback. He may be both younger and older.
Daymond is definitely the older one. I can see Nakaba bringing Daymond back and explaining what happened later but I wonder if it wouldn't be too complicated.

If there is a link and Daymond is alive my guess is that he is living somewhere far away and the connection was found during the Age of Chaos or something. Because it would be very strange if Arthur was unaware he had such relatives in NNT. Still find it rather unlikely though.