Question - Asarii's Question Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Asarii's Question Thread

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Lately I've picked up the hobby of drawing again, and I'm learning at a snail's pace. Since I expect to have a lot of questions, I created a thread to compile them all together. (I hope it's okay!)

Right now I'm trying to progress from drawing a face from the front to drawing it in a 3/4 profile or any other angle that's not from the front/side. I've looked at several tips and guidelines, but the features still look unbalanced. :scry Even if the face is balanced, the 3/4 profile looks different from the same face I drew from the front.

Are there key things that I should keep in mind? How do I keep everything balanced?

Thanks in advance. :)

David Rose

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, the one tip i can give you would be to start sketching real faces. You can start real rough and fast, like 5-10 min each and do a handfull of em a day. Further you could draw movie stars like Robert de Niro or Jeff Bridges or something like that, just people who have very prominent features. From my experience it's easier this way, than always going for the normal everyday perfect face. And it's easier to google pictures of stars and find different angles.
I think you get a better start at drawing, by starting with real people, even when your initial plan is drawing manga, as you first need a real understanding of anatomy, before developing your own style. Otherwise there is the big chance you'll just end up drawing like someone else, which shouldn't be your first goal from the beginning. Well, practice makes perfect. :P

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Drawing real people and those with features such as Robert de Niro and Jeff Bridges seem pretty tough, but I'll give it a shot!

I think you get a better start at drawing, by starting with real people, even when your initial plan is drawing manga, as you first need a real understanding of anatomy, before developing your own style. Otherwise there is the big chance you'll just end up drawing like someone else, which shouldn't be your first goal from the beginning. Well, practice makes perfect. :P
This makes sense. I'm trying my hardest not to be influenced too much by other people. Hopefully I can figure out my own style.

Thank you for the tips! :)