Asterix | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Asterix

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Asterix

Asterix or The Adventures of Asterix is a series of French comic books written by René Goscinny and illustrated by Albert Uderzo. Uderzo also took over the job of writing the series after the death of Goscinny in 1977.

The series first appeared in French in the magazine Pilote on 29 October 1959. As of 2009, 34 comic books in the series have been released.

The series follows the exploits of a village of ancient Gauls as they resist Roman occupation. They do so by means of a magic potion, brewed by their druid, which gives the recipient superhuman strength. The protagonist, the titular character, Asterix, along with his friend Obelix have various adventures. In many cases, this leads them to travel to various countries around the world, though other books are set in and around their village.

For much of the history of the series (Volumes 4 through 29), settings in Gaul and abroad alternated, with even-numbered volumes set abroad and odd-numbered volumes set in Gaul, mostly in the village.

Do we have any Asterix fans here? If so, speak up, join in, and discuss the awesomeness of Asterix.

sindergi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Oh i love Asterix - i read all volumes....several times. I start reading it as a kid (about 10 or 11) and still like to re-read some volumes. René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo were true genius !!!

Who could not love Obelix :D.....just because of him i begged for a roast of wild boar until my mom made one :D

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I can't say I've read as many of the classic Astérix albums as I would've wanted, but I always really liked 'em. I was most familiar with the dutch translated versions, so I mostly remember the hilarious puns in all the villagers' names and all. I wonder if they're equally hilarious in the original...

I've heard a lot of criticism for the most recent album(s) of Astérix. Something about turning away from their usual themes and becoming a bit more of a mainstream french comic style... and uhm, aliens. Has anyone read those? Are they good?

nanaDmari

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I have all Asterix albuns published here in Brazil *-*
I mean, those from the Movies I don't have, only the original stories... Oh, and in portuguese... I don't know how it works for the puns in the names... As portuguese is also a latin language I wonder if it's close to the original ones...

My brother is, hm, big... and we a have a dog that is, hm, small... so I make jokes as to how they look like Obelix and Ideafix when he's holding our dog XD

Yes, that one with the aliens... I don't how it's called in other places... "Le ciel lui tombe sur la tête" (I don't really understand this XD) in the original and something like "The day the sky fell" translating from the title in portuguese... it's kind of... I don't know... different... You still have some funny jokes but the overall story it's not all that... not like the older ones... at least for me...

Last edited by a moderator:

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Uderzo shall just retire. What he does, is only ruin his serie, the last ones are just crap.
That is the same with the movie adaptations, the only good one was asterix and cleopatra from Alain Chabat and he did not like it. I guess he is too old to understand what people search in humor nowadays.

mattiaildivino

九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Asterix!!! men,I've read every book of this series! I used to love it when I was a child.last time I read one of these was...5 years ago,if I remember correctly. I'd like tor ead it again,sooner or later.