Discussion - Awesome revelations from Oda about Sanji.2016 is Sanji's year. | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Awesome revelations from Oda about Sanji.2016 is Sanji's year.

Deleted member 182576

Hello my dear one piece friends.

Oda made a comment on the manga’s future in Jump Festa 2016 which was held on 19/20 December 2015:

“My readers ask me “When will Sanji appear?” again and again these days. Hirata-san (Sanji’s voice actor) also asks me “When the heck will Sanji appear?”

Finally it’s time to reveal the mystery about Sanji’s birth! The Straw Hats who didn’t made much appearances in Dressrosa Arc will have many highlights next year.”

-------------------------------

What highlights do you expect for:

- Sanji
- Nami
- Chopper
- Brook

Personally, i think:

- Sanji: The only alive wanted poster has something to do with it
- Nami: maybe something with Navigation and weather. Maybe a Story what happened before Bellemere found her. Or something with Weatheria.
- Chopper: Something with medical stuff. For him i don't know... it's the hardest to say something about him because we already know his whole Story in drum.
- Brook: Maybe we will learn something from his childhood, how he became a pirate and more highlights about his DF!

Love,

Spenzi

Last edited by a moderator:

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Re: Sensational revelations from Oda about Sanji & StrawHats!

I expect a Sanji rescue mission, simple as that.

However when it comes to his birth, I'm not really fond of this idea that Sanji is some sort of noble.It all seems unnecessary to me.
For starters all this is already making the SHs split, it's been so long since we saw the Curly hats, and as soon as they reunited with the rest, Sanji is missing again.
I prefer the SHs to not be split all the time.

When it comes to the other SHs, I would really love it if Oda did something with Robin. I'm not too fond of Nami and her abilities. Brook needs more panel time for sure since his fighting style is pretty interesting. And maybe Chopper could be shown attaining a new form.

Deleted member 182576

Re: Sensational revelations from Oda about Sanji & StrawHats!

I expect a Sanji rescue mission, simple as that.

When it comes to the other SHs, I would really love it if Oda did something with Robin. I'm not too fond of Nami and her abilities. Brook needs more panel time for sure since his fighting style is pretty interesting. And maybe Chopper could be shown attaining a new form.
Yeah i could see that too with the rescue Mission, like when the strawhats were on the rescue Mission of Robin. i loved it! so many Feelings!

Well I know... Robin hadn't hat any shining moments in the near past... but she had so much Panel time and shining moments pre-timeskip.
Sanji's, Nami's & Brook's past were really Little in comparison with Franky & Robin IMO. I want her to shine too, but other strawhats had like no real shining moments or Screen time at all.

I Am Atomic

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't mind a rescue mission like Ennies Loby arc since it was one of my favourite arcs. But I am not sure if Oda is going to do the exact thing. Alabasta and Dressrosa were similar so it probably can happen.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
It depends if Sanji is really in trouble.We still don't know why he left, is it because of the poster, or because of what happened to the minks and he wants to deliver CC to the Marines?

Also I'm under the impression that he could be in trouble if he crossed paths with Weevil for example.We know he's after Luffy,so him finding his comrade whose poster was finally revealed(not the drawing) could lead him to Luffy.

It's too early to tell for sure, but I expect that once Luffy reads the letter or hears some news it would be the cue for him to go after Sanji.

Deleted member 182576

what if it will be a Sanji & Ceasar rescue arc and Ceasar Ends up joining the strawhats? :P
maybe we willl get more Infomartion about sanji's and ceasar's past. ceasar also did not make much appearance on dressrosa and he's still sticking with the strawhats.

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
@Spenzi the title of the thread was a bit misleading. Oda said that he would reveal the truth about Sanji's birth, while the rest of the Curly hats would get their time to shine. Nothing was said about him revealing something about them.
So I took the liberty of changing the title, I hope you don't mind.:)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
In context, I can think of only one reason for sanji to be wanted alive... If the implication is that there is something about sanji's birth, could he perhaps be a tenryubito? So with whatever has been going on recently, his past got found out and the tenryubito are claiming him.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sanji being a Royal are the most common answers right now which is also what I believe it to be unless WG is short on cooks!

At his first wanted poster his actual face was not revealed therefore it was 'dead or alive' but after his face was shown it changed to being 'alive'. So we can guarantee that they are not interested in his abilities.

Above kkck said that he might be a Celestial Dragon but Doflamingo is also a Celestial Dragon but his poster was written 'dead or alive'. If Sanji is a celestial dragon then he ran away to become a pirate then that means they would certainly not welcome him back just like they did to Doflamingo.

So, Sanji might belong to some other Royal family who does not care if Sanji is a pirate and want him back for good/bad reason. If he is a Celestial Dragon then he might have something important on him (not literally) which force them to have Sanji back alive.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well what we know of Sanji's origins is, that he is from North Blue. What we now of North Blue, is the legend of Norland and his home kingdom (recently re-introduced thanks to Tontatta), there is kingdom unrelated to WG where Dofla's family was destroyed by angry commoners, Country of Flevance and the Amber Lead disease.

Also a random tidbit of Sanji; He has read the great book of Devil Fruits. Which apparently a thing, but not in a common knowledge. What characters we know have read the book? Vegapunk and Blackbeard atlest I think? Influencial and mysterious figures anyways. Another detail is, that often he imagines himself as a prince. When dreaming of princesses or coming up as a fake alias to confront Crocodile.

Characters from North Blue include; Sanji, Norland (and offspring), Bellamy & crew, Hawkins, Drake, Doflamingo's crew and Law.

As said, the common idea is, that Sanji is a noble. Maybe Tenryoobito, though they don't seem like they care for deserters, so if they want Sanji, it is because his parents are influencial Tenryuubito.I don't think he is tenryuubito though.. If he is indeed a missing noble, I think he from the kingdom Norland was from. He was well aware of the legend and reacted in a childlike glee when it was first mentioned. Might be a common fairy tale in North Blue, but I'd asume of even greater cultural importance in the kingdom Norland was from, and where he was executed. Especially if you are in the royal family and want to make the children feel like no one is gonna mess with them, if they do they die. Might need to re-read the segment where they meet Cricket for first time, if I recall correctly Sanji was unsually non-chalant all that time. Maybe because if he is a noble for Norlands country, it would make sense that Cricket would want to beat his ass if he knew it. Also quite convienently Norland's legend was re-introduced to the readers as the Tontatta worshipped him. That was a cool detail, but not really anything necessary for the story. Unless, Norlands legacy will become important again.

I don't think he is related to Doflamingo or Law at all. Though he did clash with Dofla shortly, which is a rather interesting detail.

If we think about other character from North Blue, well the only notable one left are Hawkins and Drake. Drake is an open mystery - he sided with Kaido (who is relevant in the story right now) and for an unknown reason he left the marines to become a pirate. There is definetly a story there, just not sure if it could be related at Sanji at all. Asuming that this plot line will include Kaido and Big Mom, it could also include Drake.

This leaves us Hawkins, and only similarity I see there, is the pair of funky eyebrows. Or rather, that he has shaved his own and has those spiky tattoos.

I hope Sanji's secret is something else, something I can't think of, but I'm leaning to the scenario that he is a noble from Norland's kingdom.

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I believe Oda has made the right decision with his intention of focusing on the Curly Hats, particularly Sanji in the coming year.

As far as the story goes, Sanji has always been a mysterious character, in the sense that his identity has not been fully revealed. We only know him as Sanji and his current ability/skills as "Black Leg", a good cook, etc. Of course we do know some parts of his past when he was trained to be a cook at one point. However, with the present ambiguous wanted poster, it triggers our thoughts to think who he really is.

I have always thought that Sanji is pretty unique, particularly when I look at his facial features such as his eye brows. Even the way he calls himself gives me an idea that he isn't just an ordinary young man who has learned how to cook and becomes a chef afterwards. Additionally his rare blood type also gives away some hint of his unusual heritage.

As Oda announced his intention for 2016 with Sanji as the focus, I would love to see Sanji's background be told. Perhaps coupled with some past history of him, for example his childhood and how he got separated from his family. One of things that Sanji has hardly (or never) talked about is his family, like who they are. Most of the characters, it has been pretty clear where they come from. Luffy has Garp as his grandfather, Ace and Sabo as his swords-brothers; Nami has her hometown of families (her village people are like family to her), adopted mother and sister, and so on. Hence, it appears that Sanji's heritage may be important in the forthcoming story.

As for the other characters, I'm seeing some interesting DF skills from Brook, who has displayed quite a fair bit in the recent chapters, though it appears to be like a "glimpse" of it. Nevertheless, Brook's past was a very sad one. I particularly like the song that he sung when his crew mates dropped dead one after another, and it made me cry a lot. In the coming year, I do hope to see how he progresses and how he uses his "upgraded" skills to help the other Straw-Hat members in times of crisis. In fact we are seeing him displaying gradually and hoping to see more of him.

On the part of his heritage, I can't help but think of Laboon. This is one whale which I am fond of. I do hope to see more intimate moments of those past and perhaps, how he became a pirate (in his former crew).

Next is Chopper. In the current chapter (811), we are seeing him helping out as a medical doctor. He has exercised his authority as a doctor and displayed good medical traits as a healthcare worker. In the aftermath of an island being destroyed and people in the brink of death, Chopper remains calm. Recall what Chopper said about the Minks who had inhaled the poisonous gas. He mentioned that any delayed treatment would have caused permanent damage to the people's life. Perhaps some may even die from it. Therefore in this instance, Chopper has really displayed how well he is as a doctor. That also shows how caring and responsible a doctor he is. In our real world, we do need such doctors around, don't we?

I suppose it would be nice to see how far Chopper has advanced in his medical skills, and of course, being a DF user, I would love to see how skillful he has become. Some interesting new skills beyond his "monster point" perhaps? :^_^

The next one is Nami. I haven't seen her much in her ability, but she has displayed pretty good in providing emotional support to the Minks, especially to Wanda. Wanda seems to be in so much stress and being an important person to the kings, she is shouldering a great deal of responsibility, particularly in ensuring the safety and well-being of the kings.

On the part of Nami's ability, it would be nice to see her displaying some interesting tricks in controlling the weather. Perhaps something about her navigation skill is good too.

As for the rest of the Straw-Hats, I believe it would be natural for them to get better. For example, Luffy would need to overcome the limitation of his 4th gear; Robin may need some screen time to shine. In fact, I find her DF skill very interesting and it has a lot of potential to have more upgrades. I wonder if Oda would consider giving her though it seems like she is acting as a supporting role. Though having said that, I'm impressed with her when she protected Rebecca in Dressrosa and how she gained the trust from Kyros and took the responsibility in ensuring the young girl's safety, so that her father could fight with Diamante without worries. At the end of it, Robin sustained quite a heavy injury. Amazingly she did not even uttered a word or screamed out due to the pain. She was also seen to be bleeding very badly. Yet, she continued to protect Rebecca. She gives me the impression of how a mother would have protected her children. I salute her for the kindness. :hi :super

From the progression of One Piece story, it would appear that the Zou arc will continue for perhaps another 1 1/2 to 2 years, or even longer. So Sanji and team would presumably be the centre of the story before any great war breaks out. :D

With the above said, I have always thought that it would be nice to have short stories of the characters of their own. It's like Fairy Tail for example. A spin-off story is always welcomed to bring out the biography of a particularly person or a group of people. Of course this is only a thought from me. ;)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Brook's Devil Fruit and power is very interesting. I think Oda has already been very creative in his ability to move souls and summon the freezing coldness of death. Interested to see how far he can take it.

Chopper is really outstanding as a doctor. Powerwise though, I was thinking that considering he has this far upped his abilities by his medical knowledge, creating all the modes he has. But we don't know the exact details, but we already do know that zoans and devil fruits "awaken". So if the monster form of his isn't the awakened form of his devil fruit, then there is still that upgrade in front of him.

As for Nami, I have to disagree with ProGoddes a little bit. She is showing amazing power, very unlike anything else. While she might not be the invidual powerhouse others of her crew are, her weather manipulation ability is a phenomena in it's own. By supporting ability and general practicality and usefullness in various adventure situations, her power is pretty damn valuable. Even Big Mom's crew noted that. "Oh, what the heck, are they controlling the weather? How does that even?!". Maybe she needs to find more ways to make her abilities more usefull on straightforward 1vs1 situations, a way she could fend on physically a lot more powerfull opponents even.

Most interesting I'm finding the actual story and plot, what will happen and how. And in that it seems like Sanji will be a center of. Which is great, because I've always liked him and always considered him "vice-captain" along with Zoro. Yet despite that it has been a long while before he did anything worthwhile. Actually, for most of the New World he has been mainly fooling around and being a comic relief. Hope Oda brings the serious side of him back.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sanji called himself 'Mr.Prince' when he was talking to Crocodile. Oda must have been foreshadowing that Sanji was a royalty.

In the Davy back fight Sanji was wearing the ball on his head. Zoro tells him that he looks like a 'prince of dumbass kingdom'.

Fuuji Genichiro

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
A sanji rescue mission would make me cringe, knowing how oda handles those types of situations, would hate to see sanji be some emotional damsel in distress, i wanna see sanji kick ass
Anyways,dont know if anyone here remembers but a while back oda tweeted that one of the strawhats "will be leaving us soon". , but i dont think that oda will kill sanji (yet) otherwise he would have given sanji's disappearance a more serious tone, like the events leading up to the war of the best, instead, he's given us something with a more serious tone, (the kaidoh situation) at the exact same time, and both problems are almost completely unrelated, the only intersection being that Pekoms is a mink. So the tone given by jack does a good job of down playing sanji's disappearance. there is also, the supernova clash with kaidoh and the Revolutionary meeting, and then the coming brawl vs the blackbeard pirates, not to mention that issho is banned from HQ. In any scenario, sanji has to catch up to zoro (if he hasnt already) if the SH's are gonna survive the oncoming chaos, because luffy seems destined to fight all 4 yonko for different reasons, and with the subordinates seemingly more powerful than luffy and zorro now, we cant have sanji lagging like the rest of the crew in terms of power.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
also, which colour is sanji's natural hair?

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Being showcased in the story will be their "highlights". The Mugiwaras that fought all the way to Dressrosa have direct ties to the main storyline while the ones who left do not. They'll get flushed out every now and then possibly (e.g. Chopper's mancrush on Dr. Hogback until he learned the truth about the man) but I wouldn't expect much out of the lesser Mugiwaras at this point.

sameel

Reaction score
Country
India
If sanji being a royalty is true, it would explain his clothes as he is always seen wearing a suit. Even as a chef, he was seen wearing a suit whereas the other waiters and chefs wore the white chef dress.