Voting Round 1 - Berserk vs. Boku no Hero Academia | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 1 Berserk vs. Boku no Hero Academia

Who Wins?

• Berserk

• Boku no Hero Academia

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to vote for Berserk. I really do. It's so good. GutsXFarnase 4 life!

But there is a problem. That problem is that Berserk is never going to be finished. That is just not going to happen. If you look at the release frequency and Miura's age. It is not possible for the manga to ever be completed at this point.

Then on the other side we've got Boku no Hero Academia. A shounen that captures western superheroes concepts better than even western superhero comics do and with sky high future potential. Is it ever going to be good enough to compete with Berserk? I don't know. Maybe. Is it going to be finished? Probably.

So, though it kills me a little to do this, I'm voting for Boku no Hero Academia.

Juliana

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Let me scream just like Dath Vader for a sec: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Ok. Now I'm so pissed I could cut my son's arm off. I nominated Boku no Hero. And Berserk is my fav manga and my third fav book ever!
Which one of the MangaHelpers should I kill for this?

Jokes aside (or maybe not?) I'm gonna explain why my vote goes to Boku no Hero.
First, we all know that Berserk is and always will be one of the most important, well-executed, well-written, well-designed- and so on - manga ever made. And losing this competition will not prove it wrong. In my opinion is just non-sense put Berserk and Death Note, for example, in a competition because they will always be good and everyone knows it. So comparing this type of manga with others makes the purpose of a competition loses its core.

Second: One might think that Boku is just one more shonen battle with a great execution. But for me is a little more than that. I believe each one of you got a book, or a manga, or a movie, some work you read when you where going through a difficult period in your life, but this book made you feel good about yourself again, gave you purpose, meaning. Boku no Hero is my manga-hero.

Life can be tricky, mess up with you sometimes. It can be hard, unfair, painfull. Without a warning things go upside down and you feel nothing but hopeless. I had a difficult time in the past, and I could not live, just survive. But I remember so clearly when I first read Boku no Hero. Deku was in shock. He had just discovered that All Might is not what he looks like. He is thin, sick, he has sad and empty eyes, no big smile on his face. He is not a super man. He is a regular guy, he has his own fears, insecurities and pain. Even so, he is always there, no matter what, because there are things in life bigger than you and me. So he said: "If I laugh, it is just to distract me from the fear I that I feel." And that's it. You don't have to be a superhero. You just have to be there for someone. And eventually someone will be there for you.

So I started volunteering at a hospital for children with cancer. Since then, I know I have meaning in life, and today I have people who are there for me too.

Sorry I this forum lost it purpose. You can delet it if you want.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Well Berserk will obviously get my vote....not just because i haven't read BnHA....

But,with such avid Berserk fans like @Demonspeed and @niichan ,which i know they are.too be conflicted on this...BnHA is definitely a mango im going to try.
You should ^^ it's rly fun and I think it stands out from most of the mainstreams shonens. I'm rly enjoying it.

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm voting for BNHA. I haven't read Berserk, but my friends told me lots of spoilers about it, so I know a bit. I like more the shonen mood in BNHA, the heroes thing that resembles One Punch man with a society filled with heroes and common people.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Well Berserk will obviously get my vote....not just because i haven't read BnHA....

But,with such avid Berserk fans like @Demonspeed and @niichan ,which i know they are.too be conflicted on this...BnHA is definitely a mango im going to try.
Forget about Bnha go and read Neverland now !!! :gtfo its one milion time better you wont regret it :zomg If you like...
children and delicacies
you'll definitely love it ♥

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This is tough. On one hand we have BnHA which is easily one of the best currently running Shounen manga, whike on the other hand we have Berserk. A Classic manga that has topped charts for years that delivers a well polished, high quality read.

I'm going to wait a little longer. Academia hasn't gotten a real campaign yet.

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
what are the other two?
I would actually put Berserk as the best one :D but the other two in the podium would probably be Jojo and Tokyo Ghoul. Honorable mentions to Goodnight Punpun (Brandish's nomination, you should check it), Kingdom and Vagabond.
Vinland Saga remains my pending subject :darn

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
I would actually put Berserk as the best one :D but the other two in the podium would probably be Jojo and Tokyo Ghoul. Honorable mentions to Goodnight Punpun (Brandish's nomination, you should check it), Kingdom and Vagabond.
Jo Jo is Seinen only in last 2 parts though.

Most of it was Shounen.

Gut's is the man

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
i've read Punpun. (that was a fun weekend..... everyone thought a family member of mine had died.). Definitely agree with jojo (I consider every part from the second half of 4 onward to be closer to seinen then shounen). stopped reading Kingdom after awhile. Love vagabond.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Jo Jo is Seinen only in last 2 parts though.

Most of it was Shounen.
Jojo a weird series. It has far more in common with Seinen then shonen.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
i've read Punpun. (that was a fun weekend..... everyone thought a family member of mine had died.). Definitely agree with jojo (I consider every part from the second half of 4 onward to be closer to seinen then shounen). stopped reading Kingdom after awhile. Love vagabond.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Jojo a weird series. It has far more in common with Seinen then shonen.
At first it was borderline Seinen(a dark shounen that's why I like it) but still until Stone ocean it was published in Shounen magazine.But after that it shifted to Seinen magazine officially.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Time to show y'all why Boku needs to win this.:cheez And it's only because of one person.:zomg

Does Berserk have a Todoroki Shouto? No? Then it's pretty obvious what the answer is here :squee:shout:fan

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
Time to show y'all why Boku needs to win this.:cheez And it's only because of one person.:zomg

Does Berserk have a Todoroki Shouto? No? Then it's pretty obvious what the answer is here :squee:shout:fan
Berserk has gut's who make Todoroki look like a prepubescent lady boy.

Demonspeed

The Rampaging Noble
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
LOL Even All Might can't compare to Guts. Todoroki was so scared of AFO he was unable to move. Guts survived the Eclipse and experienced things the BNHA cast could never imagine.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't compare All Might with Guts. It's not possible for me. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges that originate from an alternate dimension. Gotta say this though. Guts, Farnese, Isidro, Schierke, Serpico. Those are best of the best character wise.

Too bad their story will never be completed which devalues them all slightly. Also.. Guts X Farnese 4ever!

(All posts about Berserk need to be follow with this phrase.:nod)

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't compare All Might with Guts. It's not possible for me. It's like comparing Apples to Oranges that originate from an alternate dimension. Gotta say this though. Guts, Farnese, Isidro, Schierke, Serpico. Those are best of the best character wise.

Too bad their story will never be completed which devalues them all slightly. Also.. Guts X Farnese 4ever!

(All posts about Berserk need to be follow with this phrase.:nod)
I would say it devalues them for some and not for others. Tbh I would take a great experience with no ending over one that I think is not nearly as good with one. It just all depends. Mind you it not ending is not a good thing, but we don't even know that for sure anyways.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bet Todoroki has more guts than Guts :3c
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

No.... he doesn't gut's has had, (and trust me THIS IS NOT HYBOLE!), a far, far, far worse childhood and upbringing then todoroki and the shit he had to deal with form his dad and what happened to his mom. Would make Todoki Appreciate his dad for not being hateful of him. (Let that sink in.)

Anyone else here who read berserk can back me up on this.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would say it devalues them for some and not for others. Tbh I would take a great experience with no ending over one that I think is not nearly as good with one. It just all depends. Mind you it not ending is not a good thing, but we don't even know that for sure anyways.
That's entirely fair. Even if you take Beserk as it is and expect no further chapters to come out it's a great series. I can definitely see how the argument could be made that it measures up to Boku no Hero's potential just based on that alone. I tend to lean the other way though. Incomplete character arcs are always less than they could otherwise be in my books.

We can't know if it will ever end either, I suppose, but Berserk's hiatus chart kind of speaks for itself. It's not impossible Muira could come out with a full 24 issues next couple years and hit the finish line but the trend has been going in the other direction for the last 10 years now. We haven't even had consecutive chapter releases in 5 years.

So I'm not holding my breath on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.