Seinen - Berserk | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Berserk

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Title: Berserk
Genres: Action, Horror, Dark fantasy
Author: Miura Kentarou
Artist: Miura Kentarou
Publication:Hakusensha and Dark Horse Comics
Start Date: 1990.December.1.
End Date: Ongoing
Number of chapters at review: 312
Number of chapters read by reviewer:312
(if you have trouble finding any of this info, contact me, and I'm sure I can get it for you)

General Overview:
An incredibly sophisticated manga, concerning the themes that are present, the construction of the story and mainly the character's unique development. The story might seem violent, or in some chapters very peaceful and fairytale-like, but these extremes are put together very well, with the help of the high quality art style Miura is using.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art:8

The art is realistic, starting from the characters, the world, certain panoramas. The strong aspect is not the realism, but a style that is able to transmit the deep emotions, therefore the reader can fully immerse himself in the world that he created. Probably the horror elements of the manga are a bit exaggerated, but it's exaggerated on purpose to present the dark life of the hero in the best way.

Plot:10

The plot is very original from multiple points of view. The relationship of the characters makes it possible for the plot to take unexpected turns very often, so the manga's plot isn't plain, or boring.
The impressive thing about the plot is the way how it's constructed. It shows two entirely different world, each lived by the hero, until a certain event unites the two plot-lines and gives birth to third almost entirely different approach.

Characters:8

The main characters are the crown jewel of this manga. Each of them represents a certain world, and the clash of these worlds is moving the plot forward. The instability of these relationships is very compelling, showing no signs of predictibility of ones behaviour.
The downslide of the beautifully constructed main characters is the lack of scondary characters, or at least the lack of true supporting roles. Throughout the manga there is one who can identify with this, but the rest of the secondary characters aren't taking too much part at the actual plot.

Theme:10
Themes like unfulfilled love, or small communities fighting for survival, religious authority, are just few of the many themes a seinen manga of this caliber approaches. As the demographic is showing the themes are indeed various, but the main theme is that of the confrontation between humans and gods. The strong point of this confrontation is given by the uniqueness of the characters, who at first show incredible contradiction with the worlds they represent, yet their innermost thoughts are exactly the mirror of their respective worlds.
Another interesting aspect is showing this conflict, but by covering it with the possibility for humans and gods or god-like creatures to live together.

Originality:8
The theme and the characters are mainly taking the merit for the mark. The sophisticated approach that Miura chose for its characters and plot, the subtle or sometimes too direct approach of certain present social issues definitely puts Berserk in the category of one of the most originally constructed mangas.
The world which Miura constructed is not that original, though. There are many elements used from European mythologies, the usage of names representing this as well. It is a hybrid world formed from mythological and religious elements, covered with issues of modern society, but not just.

Overall:8.5

As for story and character developments goes the manga is definitely worth reading. If somebody is interested in the originality of this manga, then I whole-heartedly recommend it, but as an action manga and the presentation of a dark violent world, certain developments might be shocking, or too brutal. It definitely has exaggerated moments, and thanks to the quality of the art is more than fully visible, but recognizing the idea behind the story is the most important.

Some pics

killer7

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
What an epic manga which i heard that it is #1 famous manga in
Japan. The storyline is way from the normal manga which take you to another world full of demons and wars.

I would give it 5 out of 5 and it is worth it for each and every chapter.

jamespearl

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
At the end of small volume began or resolved, except for dozens of deaths in humans and monsters. The prospect of an anti-hero in a ruthless sadistic cruelty may have been something in the late 80's when Japan made its debut at the origin of Berserk, but 2009 is a collection of snapshots in an over saturated genre.

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I think that Berserk is a 10/10 Manga... I understand your reasoning ben. But I believe that if there are reviews about Naruto, Bleach or another manga with an average of 8/10+ Then Berserk should absolutely get a perfect score.
The only bad thing about it is that after catching up to it, you start thinking that you or the mangaka will die before reading the end.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I think that Berserk is a 10/10 Manga... I understand your reasoning ben. But I believe that if there are reviews about Naruto, Bleach or another manga with an average of 8/10+ Then Berserk should absolutely get a perfect score.
The only bad thing about it is that after catching up to it, you start thinking that you or the mangaka will die before reading the end.
Haha true that...but I think before the end, it will become a matter of pride and it will be finished...

Regarding Naruto and Bleach...I think that there's no way to be objective in such a case, but at least we can try to be...so one way to be a bit more objective is to rate these mangas relative to the demographics...so Naruto scores a high score in shounen category, and Berserk scores high in the seinen category...so therefore there is no basis for comparison I think

Shinsatsu

MH's Most Fashionable Member
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Haha true that...but I think before the end, it will become a matter of pride and it will be finished...

Regarding Naruto and Bleach...I think that there's no way to be objective in such a case, but at least we can try to be...so one way to be a bit more objective is to rate these mangas relative to the demographics...so Naruto scores a high score in shounen category, and Berserk scores high in the seinen category...so therefore there is no basis for comparison I think
This is a nice way of thinking. And after reading your review, I think you should write other reviews about different manga titles so the reason behind the 8.5 becomes obvious :D Because your judgement was objective and you took the marks seriously...
I personally think that reviews shouldn't be like (9-9-9-9-9 ... 9.5 or 10 Overall) Because it sounds like a fan-girl's scream.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
Reaction score
Country
Romania
This is a nice way of thinking. And after reading your review, I think you should write other reviews about different manga titles so the reason behind the 8.5 becomes obvious :D Because your judgement was objective and you took the marks seriously...
I personally think that reviews shouldn't be like (9-9-9-9-9 ... 9.5 or 10 Overall) Because it sounds like a fan-girl's scream.
I did review Death Note in the past and I have one review in the making...but I need to update that, because I haven't read a chapter in a while...I'm talking about Otoyome-gatari...and I did review Naruto as well:p

Nagashiwa

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I really love this manga!!

It took me some years, to finally buy this manga!!! but damn, I have no regrets ^_^

Guts is so damn cool, and so strong!

I got till volume 18 :3

Still many volumes to go!!

We gives me money to buy it?

Aazholh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am very biased toward this manga. It's the story and characters that really sold me on Berserk. I usually gravitate toward masterpieces. Miura is a master story-teller and I'm always impressed of how much detail and thought was put into this manga. Berserk as been ongoing since the late 80's and Miura has said that he fully intends to finish it even if it takes another 20 years! I only hope I make it to the end...

Deci

Reaction score
Country
United States
^What he said. Berserk is something of an obsession of mine, which I consider fortunate to both enjoy and endure. :)

nura

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I will View

look interesting ... :mono

Cyrs

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
North Pole
If you're going to read it, beware. Some things you can't un-see. Like the Cave of Trolls. WTF? For some reason, the Eclipse seemed more tame in comparison, I dunno.

-EDIT-

Also, this manga makes the movie Sin City look like freakin' Sesame Street.

Last edited:

steadynco

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Pretty much the perfect dark fantasy series, great review! Just breathtaking at times.