Best Double-Spread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Double-Spread

Best Double-Spread

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
The nominees
Naruto: Minato & Kushina protecting baby Naruto
http://view.thespectrum.net/manga/Naruto/Volume 53/naruto_c504_008.jpg

Bleach: Ichigo’s final transformation
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/bleach/v47/c420/12.html

The Eclipse from Vol.27 page 44 of Berserk
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/berserk-chapter-318.html?ch=Volume+27&page=44

Fullmetal Alchemist /Chapter 107/ Last 2 pages where current and present situation of characters is shown.

Oyasumi Punpun, Volume 2, Chapter 17
http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/4485970/Oyasumi_Punpun_v02_090-091.png.html

Hello, hello! It is a pleasure to arrive to one of the categories that features the art of the mangas we all love. We are all familiar with the term Double Spreads and we know that epic, serious, deep spectacular emotions are transmitted in such pages. The nominees were in tough competition and as a result staff, STAR and community votes are all different.

The staff pick is first, and the winner is:

The angle of the panel, the details, and the exciting moment that has been transmitted are the reasons that made this one the winner.

The following is the STAR pick:
The emotions, the beauty of the parental love, shown with great detail and style were the reasons for this prize.

But the grand winner, the pick of the entire MH community is:
The Eclipse from Vol.27 page 44

Berserk scores again with Schierke's first attempt to control Guts, and thanks the MH community for being so supportive!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Since I was the one to nominate the spread I'm a real happy camper seeing how Punpun made it to the final 5... my opinion on each of the spreads:

Naruto's:
IMO that spread is maybe the weakest from the round. I can't say I like the panelling and the overall quality of the spread isn't that high either. (When compared to the likes of Berserk or Punpun.) If Kishimoto had decided to stress the scene of Minato and Kushina a little more and making it a real two-page spread (without all those sloppy little panels next to it) it would be a lot more impressive.

Bleach's:
I'm no fan of Kubo's art. At all. This spread is no exception. It just comes of sloppy for my taste. There are times when a missing background is used as an effect to stress certain scenes but I really can't see this here. It's just your regular lazy Kubo... :sweat
The new character design may be cool (I don't think so but I can see readers enjoying it) but it really lacks some more tones/gradings IMO. The shadows are also quite rough and not that well composed.

Berserk's:
Brilliant, simply brilliant. This spread just screams Miura. It's one of the many awesome double spreads this man has created throughout Berserk. Definitely a top-notch pick. Great composition playing with aspects such as perspective.

Fullmetal Alchemist's:
As much as I love FMA, I've never been a fan of Arakawa-sensei's artwork. This spread has a nice concept but I don't like the way it's done (technically).

Oyasumi Punpun's:
I love Asano Inio's work and style. This spread makes me feel quite melancholic cause it shows nicely what it's been like to be a child. It screams childhood memories to me. Great concept and nicely done, just how I'm used from Asano. I simply love it and will support it all the way!!

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I gotta admit that there are double spreads from Berserk I like better, but this one is a brilliant one as well. So much madness :D
That of Oyasumi Punpun looks really neat as well, though I did not know it before. Perhaps I'll give it a try, it looks like a beatiful moment :)

In this category, I thought that Shounen might leave a better impression than in the artwork category -in both Seinen just imo has the advantage of a very often slower release pace for such works, and thus much more time to work on the artworks- but I think that the choice of double spreads for them is not as good as it could've been.
Those of Naruto and Bleach aren't so impressive by pure arts imo. Backed up by a storyline and elements of emotion etc. they become better, but they still cannot reach the eclipse in my point of view.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Naruto: Is that even a double-spread ? I agree with Mr Prince, it's weak ... extremely weak.

Bleach: Weak as well. A double spread where only the left side is needed ...

Berserk: It's well done but artistically it's not my style ... too overcharged.

FMA: I never even considered Arakawa as a very good drawer.

By default I voted for a manga I don't even know :D. But that's what I expect from a double-spread: beautiful, stunning, lots of perspective, almost no text, neat ... Oyasumi Punpun deserves to win this.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Berserk: It's well done but artistically it's not my style ... too overcharged.
This goes a little into the story so I better spoiler it:
It's ment to be overcharged! It makes a lot of sense:
This is when Schierke enters Guts mind and sees his memories of the eclipse, which obviously is a moment of confusion, madness, fear and more. It's hard to grasp such emotions, the chaos in it only makes sense.
It's not the ordinary panel, the part of confusion and complexity is crucial to this shot. I see your point, but for this specific panel I don't see it as an option to say that it was "too overcharged" for these reasons.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I nominated one of these, but can I vote as well or has mine been counted already??

It's true that art-wise, the Naruto double-spread is weak compared to the other ones. But since it's backed with the story, it becomes even stronger IMO. Although I can understand Rofl's view. I think a good double-spread shouldn't just be be good art-wise, it also has to be strong story-wise.

I kind of wonder if Kishi edited that double-spread in Vol. 53??

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I nominated one of these, but can I vote as well or has mine been counted already??

It's true that art-wise, the Naruto double-spread is weak compared to the other ones. But since it's backed with the story, it becomes even stronger IMO. Although I can understand Rofl's view. I think a good double-spread shouldn't just be be good art-wise, it also has to be strong story-wise.

I kind of wonder if Kishi edited that double-spread in Vol. 53??
All votings are done in the polls of the according threads (they're always above the opening posts), just chose your favorite and click "vote" ;)

I agree that double spreads and panels in general are not only defined by the level of arts, but I still think that Naruto is in a bad position here. At a certain point the atmosphere suffers with the level of art, and the emotions allone cannot fully compensate for that.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Yeah, I pretty much agree with you on that. But I wonder if Kishi's edited it?? (in the volume)

Ok, so that means I can vote again even if I already nominated one of them??

Castriota

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
that berserk double-spread, whenever i first read it, i was like holy crap wtf is going on here. there is so much into it and its just such a significant moment in the manga makes it just the more epic.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
The Oyasumi Punpun one is amazing...didn't read the manga....however the angle made it for me

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Since I vote for it in the nomination I continue support the Punpun one. I have started reading the manga and I must admit this Punpun character design is really original and that's what of the criteria I expect in order to like a comic book

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
The nominees
http://view.thespectrum.net/manga/Naruto/Volume 53/naruto_c504_008.jpg

Bleach: Ichigo’s final transformation
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/bleach/v47/c420/12.html

The Eclipse from Vol.27 page 44 of Berserk
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/berserk-chapter-318.html?ch=Volume+27&page=44

Fullmetal Alchemist /Chapter 107/ Last 2 pages where current and present situation of characters is shown.

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/4485970/Oyasumi_Punpun_v02_090-091.png.html

Hello, hello! It is a pleasure to arrive to one of the categories that features the art of the mangas we all love. We are all familiar with the term Double Spreads and we know that epic, serious, deep spectacular emotions are transmitted in such pages. The nominees were in tough competition and as a result staff, STAR and community votes are all different.

The staff pick is first, and the winner is:

The angle of the panel, the details, and the exciting moment that has been transmitted are the reasons that made this one the winner.

The following is the STAR pick:
The emotions, the beauty of the parental love, shown with great detail and style were the reasons for this prize.

But the grand winner, the pick of the entire MH community is:
The Eclipse from Vol.27 page 44

Berserk scores again with Schierke's first attempt to control Guts, and thanks the MH community for being so supportive!