Best Horror | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Horror

Best Horror

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Best Horror Announcement!

The results are in for the first Anime Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of anime!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Horror Category.

The Official Nominee Winners:

1. Shiki
2. Higurashi no naku koro ni
3. High School of the Dead
4. Monster
5. Elfen Lied

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nominations are over! Now that the nominations are set, it is time to vote for which one you think should win this category! Cast your vote before the deadline to decide the winner! :whoabunny

Zeltrax

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Vote for higurashi..or else Rena will keel you :oh

Anyway, I voted for higurashi and I urge everyone to give it a try if you haven't. I was scared at some parts, even more than Shiki.
For me, shiki uses visuals and animation to create scary moments but Higurashi does it differently, so much that I can't erase the scenes from my mind..:s

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Maybe this vote is a little biased as I haven't watched all on this list, but I voted for Shiki. I thought Elfen Lied was great too, but maybe because I watched it too long ago (5 years?), I can't really remember much of it at all, whereas Shiki is fairly fresh in my memory. There are a good number of scenes from Shiki that I remember quite vividly, such as
Toshio experimenting on his wife, all the hackings that the desensitized villagers were doing in the later episodes, Megumi's death... I thought they were all very well (read:horrific/gruesomely) done, with creepy music to accompany it.

kamakazi_1996

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
England
High school of the dead for me but only because i havent seen all the others

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
My vote for this category goes to Shiki. Terrifying scenes + epic ost + thought-provoking situations = an awesome horror anime!!

@ Salad: I still remember very vividly the first scene you mention inside the spoiler tag, that scene was… + . It was like watching a train wreck. You wanted to look away but you couldn’t!

CBlitz

Reaction score
Country
United States
Higurashi owns this entire genre...really while Shiki was great and all, Higurashi is what really defines anime horror. Although in all reality, the first season is horror while the second is more thriller. Higurashi is based on a bunch of visual novels and while there was an element of horror, it was a lot more mystery/thriller focused. When it was adapted into an anime, they decided to focus more on the horror aspect because fitting the source material into 26 episodes meant they had to cut out a significant amount of the mystery and character development. So what you get in the end, is not what I'd call a great adaption, yet the horror aspect was strong enough to get the anime to stand on its own two feet independent of the source material. And by golly, is Higurashi incredibly horrifying. I remember it was the third anime I watched and I couldn't believe what I was watching.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
The results are really, really close! Please vote and encourage your fellow members to vote for the nominee each of you thinks deserves to win! :tem Every vote counts! :thumbs

HegemonKhan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Best Horror Announcement!

The results are in for the first Anime Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of anime!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Horror Category.

The Official Nominee Winners:

1. Shiki
2. Higurashi no naku koro ni
3. High School of the Dead
4. Monster
5. Elfen Lied

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]: