Final - Best Major Female Character of 2020 | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Best Major Female Character of 2020

Best Major Female Character of 2020

• Makima (Chainsaw Man)

• Noelle Silva (Black Clover)

• Yor Forger (Spy x Family)

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Makima Sue will probably win this :fail
Overpowered sure, but that's kinda the point. But I wouldn't dare relate the term Mary Sue to Makima. That's because Mary Sue comes from the self-insertion of the authors-self in the work of fiction and making one-self to be a pretty much flawless thing (as humans tend to have that sort of high ego). That usually means characteristics that are universally considered good. Skill, wisdom, kindness, determination. No signs of weakness. You could say well that's what Makima is, no weakness. But that doesn't quite apply when you think of her characteristics. She is vile, very vile. Manipulative, violent, obsessed, condescending, arrogant. Those are hardly characteristics of a Mary Sue - the perfect girl.

I used to be kinda mixed towards Makima. At her early appearances, I thought her characterization was kinda sexist stereotype (femme fatale not to be trusted). But despite that, she was definitely striking. Evoked strong emotions for and against (which as an in-universe aspect was extremely desirable). Eventually the stereotype imho broke a little bit, because she was just so over the top dominative. I think she grew to be an excellent villain.

Out of these options, I did choose Makima, because she is the most interesting character. I like Noelle, but I think she was pretty lackluster in 2020 specifically, even if she did have big fights, she didn't quite shine as a character imho as well as she did in past arcs.

As for Yor, I tried to read Spy x Family, but I just didn't get into it. Main reason maybe being, that I didn't quite feel the characters.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Those characteristics sound perfect to me

I'm aware of the definition and how Makima doesn't fit the mould exactly. I'm meme'ing with the term because I'm salty how she just wins casually and kills my bae Quanxii. I dropped the series after that shit.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Well no kink shaming here, you do you :hurr

I thought is was brilliant. It was actually shocking and surprising. I loved Chainsawman for the fact how bonkers and brutally unforgiving the plot is. It's really something that hasn't been present in mainstream shonen for a long while. I think the series is the Devilman of the 2010s.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Yea I haven't been butthurt like that (over a manga) in quite some time. So in that way, shock factor, CSM did a great job. Particularly for a WSJ manga. Otherwise I was thoroughly into the series.

On that note (by being a new-ish WSJ manga), it's unfortunate what happened with Act-Age. It was up there with CSM for mine. Two of the main females in Act-Age probably would be represented here.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I was about start Act-Age after hearing a lot of good about it, but then I heard about the arrest and decided that maybe I even shouldn't start. I think all harrasment is to be taken seriously, and it's good that Shueisha did do so with Matsuki. But it is super hypocritical that they still keep working with Shimabukuro and Watsuki.

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I was about start Act-Age after hearing a lot of good about it, but then I heard about the arrest and decided that maybe I even shouldn't start. I think all harrasment is to be taken seriously, and it's good that Shueisha did do so with Matsuki. But it is super hypocritical that they still keep working with Shimabukuro and Watsuki.
Yeah, don’t waste your time with it. Shame a fun series goes down the drain like this.

I do hope you guys are voting for Yor though

Status
Not open for further replies.