Best new series | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best new series

Best new series

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
The nominees
Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

The Breaker New Waves

Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den –

Pika Ichi

Dear members of MH! Here I am again with the utmost pleasure of presenting the winner of the Best new series. The nominees were the ones on the list above, however two contestants
have been the spotlight of the category: Enigma and The Breaker: New Waves. But only one, and yes you head me right, because it stomped in the staff votes, STAR votes and the overall votes as well. Here it is, the mighty:
Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Thanks for everybody that voted and suggested this title, I'm sure that the MH community will keep an eye on development of mysteries in this manga.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Well, this category was kinda interesting since we had trouble to even find 5 titles that started in 2010. Obviously not one of the best years in recent time, eh.

I'm pretty sure that one of the two newcomers from Weekly Shounen JUMP will take the crown here. But I feel that neither of them is really that outstanding. (And I say that even though I'm translating of the two... :tem) They are both entertaining in their own ways but that's about it. Especially enigma just feels like a mash up of various ideas and concepts one has read in dozens of other titles. It has a charme on its own but essentially I think it's boring.

I still didn't find time to read Pika Ichi but I might after seeing some reviews for it on various pages. It seems quite well received.
I also didn't read the continuation of The Breaker yet for the simple reason that I couldn't stand part I of it. And according to some of my buddies who're reading it the new series didn't deliver anything at all up to this point.

So, in the end I'm picking the series I nominated for this category: Ikusa no Ko. (Even though I know it has little to no chance to win because it isn't translated yet and I don't have enough time to do it...)
It's the new series by godly Tetsuo Hara the artist of Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star). An epic tale with superb arts set in the Sengoku Period. Even though it's only developing I'm already drawn into it because of its awesomeness and GAR factor.

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who think that 2010 is a poor year.
In 2009 , we had beelzebub & Gamaran for example but in 2010 ...

I'm not voting for this poll. I don't even heard anything about 3 of those mangas

Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one who think that 2010 is a poor year.
In 2009 , we had beelzebub & Gamaran for example but in 2010 ...

I'm not voting for this poll. I don't even heard anything about 3 of those mangas
Yep, 2010 is a poor year. I agree with that...

BUT you should really read enigma then. It is definitely a good new series which seems to be appreciated a lot by the WSJ crowd. It had a top 5 several times and it has a cover upcoming issue. The manga was even mentioned in Bakuman

A group of 8 people end up in a school building. A game is organized by enigma in which they have to get 8 passwords to get out of the building. These 8 peoples have however secret powers and are being haunted by a shadow

Rough summary but it kinda reminds me of Psyren (supernatural powers) in the Death Note, Liar Game,... genre (suspense genre). Ah well, everyone has his own vibe and this is just a beginning

My biggest fear is that it might turn out in to a double arts v2: great promising hype start which eventually falls endlessly

Well my vote is clear

Last edited:

Amida

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Pika Ichi is a manga I actually am really interested in. I seem to have polar opposite tastes in manga at times (seinen to shojo), but the characters are interesting, the romance is "cute" and well written, and so far the story is developing well (with a little lull in Chapter 3, but in 4 is where it takes off). There is fighting, but the main characters barely, if ever, partake in it and seek to end the violence. I also just love Yakuza stuff...I think I'd fit in with the characters here just fine! I'm hoping this one makes it for the full extent of it's story.

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen is a close second for me. It strays from most conventional WSJ series, which is good for the magazine (in my opinion). I really like it, but I personally liked Pika Ichi better.

I may take a look at Enigma, but the concept seems a little ok to me. I'm just usually hesitant on anything in Weekly Shonen Jump as "best of..." since most of them mainly revolve around the same thing and tell the same story more or less.

The Breaker New Waves is a re-hashed story again for me, so this one may actually be in last for me. Not in the way that it's a continuation of The Breaker, but because it's just another high school fight series.

Sadly I've yet to read Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den –, so I must omit it from my ballot : / it does look interesting, however.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
The nominees
Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

The Breaker New Waves

Ikusa no Ko - Oda Saburou Nobunaga Den –

Pika Ichi

Dear members of MH! Here I am again with the utmost pleasure of presenting the winner of the Best new series. The nominees were the ones on the list above, however two contestants
have been the spotlight of the category: Enigma and The Breaker: New Waves. But only one, and yes you head me right, because it stomped in the staff votes, STAR votes and the overall votes as well. Here it is, the mighty:
Enigma by Sakaki Kenji

Thanks for everybody that voted and suggested this title, I'm sure that the MH community will keep an eye on development of mysteries in this manga.