Best plot-twist | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best plot-twist

Best Plot-twist

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlB

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Vinland Saga
Askelad beheading Sweyn was kinda expected, after all they planned to dispose of the king in Long-term, no? still it happened much earlier than expected and I was like: WTF??? O_O so I voted Askelad/Sweynn scene as best WTF moment lol :p

Naruto's and Berserker's twist were certainly "twists", that is no doubt. but, in my opinion, bleach topples them all. I mean, seriously
I mean a typical overly kind- hearted nerd who's second in-command is some whiny girl turning out to be some super-duper evil overlord that seeks to become GOD and is stronger than like 99% of the cast was just crazy, completely unexpected and made me like Bleach :D

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Askelad beheading Sweyn was kinda expected, after all they planned to dispose of the king in Long-term, no? still it happened much earlier than expected and I was like: WTF??? O_O so I voted Askelad/Sweynn scene as best WTF moment lol :p
It would be useful if you would give a hint/tag what you're writing in a spoiler, how should we've known that it was Vinland Saga? ;)

Yes, that one is a WTF moment as well, but it undeniably was a giant plot twist too. Just see how much the story and characters have turned due to this!

Reactions: AlB

AlB

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
It would be useful if you would give a hint/tag what you're writing in a spoiler, how should we've known that it was Vinland Saga? ;)
erm, point taken :darn

Yes, that one is a WTF moment as well, but it undeniably was a giant plot twist too. Just see how much the story and characters have turned due to this!
if we judge by long-term consequences VS and Bleach plot twists are pretty much on par, but as I already said, the actual event in Vinland Saga was somewhat expected.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
if we judge by long-term consequences VS and Bleach plot twists are pretty much on par, but as I already said, the actual event in Vinland Saga was somewhat expected.
Wow I think 95% of readers rather said "That was so unexpected that I had to read it twice when it started as I thought I didn't see right". I thought this was very much unexpectable and not forecast at all.

AlB

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Wow I think 95% of readers rather said "That was so unexpected that I had to read it twice when it started as I thought I didn't see right". I thought this was very much unexpectable and not forecast at all.
and, in contrast, 100% of Bleach readers fell off their seats when the identity of main Villain was revealed to them, when he revealed truth behind half of the events of 2 whole arcs and did what he did :D

and I honestly knew who would do that in VS. did you really expect one of the other 3 to do that?

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
and, in contrast, 100% of Bleach readers fell off their seats when the identity of main Villain was revealed to them, when he revealed truth behind half of the events of 2 whole arcs and did what he did :D

and I honestly knew who would do that in VS. did you really expect one of the other 3 to do that?
No I would not, for the simple reason that it was absolutely depending on the scenario as well as beeing a totally spontaneous decision by Kubo as well. Other mangaka seem to have a plan what they're doing :p

It really didn't surprise me when I here finally got confirmed that this twist was not planned at all but only made afterwards in order to prolong the plot. It felt so very, very made up to me already...
...suddenly a guy claims to be capable of pretty much everything and beeing responsible for everything that happened beforehand.
Such twists have to be executed better to be believable imo, it only annoyed me in this case.

Also, undisputably the quality of Bleach went down drastically afterwards. The twist wasn't used well in the end, it was the upbeat to some of the worst parts of Bleach, which even many Bleach fans accept.

AlB

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
No I would not, for the simple reason that it was absolutely depending on the scenario as well as beeing a totally spontaneous decision by Kubo as well. Other mangaka seem to have a plan what they're doing :p

It really didn't surprise me when I here finally got confirmed that this twist was not planned at all but only made afterwards in order to prolong the plot. It felt so very, very made up to me already...
...suddenly a guy claims to be capable of pretty much everything and beeing responsible for everything that happened beforehand.
Such twists have to be executed better to be believable imo, it only annoyed me in this case.

Also, undisputably the quality of Bleach went down drastically afterwards. The twist wasn't used well in the end, it was the upbeat to some of the worst parts of Bleach, which even many Bleach fans accept.
I agree, the quality of Bleach went down. but for me, this very twist was what made me stick to the manga :) in contrast, I would say that what happened in VS was waaay too premature but that's just my personal, subjective thinking, just as you claiming that the plot-twist in Bleach was cheap is your personal opinion. forced? perhaps. cheap? no waay :)

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I agree, the quality of Bleach went down. but for me, this very twist was what made me stick to the manga :) in contrast, I would say that what happened in VS was waaay too premature but that's just my personal, subjective thinking, just as you claiming that the plot-twist in Bleach was cheap is your personal opinion. forced? perhaps. cheap? no waay :)
Premature in what way? I think it was an unsuspectedly elegant twist actually. Nodoy saw it coming, yet it was absolutely plausible and reasonable, even under the smoke screen of a sudden breakout of madness.
I don't think that such a twist came too early either. At an unexpected time, perhaps, but not a bad timing at all imo.

AlB

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Premature in what way?
I think it was an unsuspectedly elegant twist actually. Nodoy saw it coming, yet it was absolutely plausible and reasonable, even under the smoke screen of a sudden breakout of madness.
I don't think that such a twist came too early either. At an unexpected time, perhaps, but not a bad timing at all imo.
premature story-wise. there was so much potential for
Askeladd's character
honestly, I felt as if it was wasted. it sure was elegent, but Bleach's was blunt. it was as if the entire plot was put upside-down and yet connected many things together.

you know Roflkopt3r, I think we'll never agree on this :D:p

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ah allright, I see your point now. Obviously it's always sad to lose things which contributed so greatly to a story so far, but don't you think that it is also exiting? So many characters were ruined by appearing far longer than they should have, while such a big twist can prove worthy of such a sacrifice.

shinsengumi

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
umm excuse me for re-posting this but i wonder if anybody read it . you should read it because i believe its true ^_^

the real plot-twist in naruto should be this one in addition to whats written in the opening post imo ;

tobi was madara and pain was just a pawn .we got too used to seeing madara now but remember the time when tobi-the-silly first appeared as madara. it was a good surprise , wasnt it ?

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
umm excuse me for re-posting this but i wonder if anybody read it . you should read it because i believe its true ^_^
But what's in the opening post is which got the most nominations...so we can't really add more, even if we would want to...

shinsengumi

Artist
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
^ oh thank you , i completely forgot about the nominations ^^'
but still , i believe plot-twist isnt something to be decided by the reader . i mean , you can nominate naruto for having the best plot-twist but you cant decide what the plot-twist is in naruto . its not optional , its a definite information
whats written in the opening post was also a good twist but its not the main event imo . its one of the after effects of what i wrote above

madara was the one who told everything about itachi to sasuke . it was part of his plan to drive sasuke more into hatred . if it was not for his plans , we and sasuke would have never find out the truth about itachi

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
^ oh thank you , i completely forgot about the nominations ^^'
but still , i believe plot-twist isnt something to be decided by the reader . i mean , you can nominate naruto for having the best plot-twist but you cant decide what the plot-twist is in naruto . its not optional , its a definite information
whats written in the opening post was also a good twist but its not the main event imo . its one of the after effects of what i wrote above

madara was the one who told everything about itachi to sasuke . it was part of his plan to drive sasuke more into hatred . if it was not for his plans , we and sasuke would have never find out the truth about itachi
That's what people have chosen...it's arguable that the plot twist U mentioned and the one in the OP can be independent

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States

Best Plot Twist Announcement!

The results are in for the first Manga Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of manga!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Plot Twist Category.

Total “Votes” = 49

1. Aizen revealed as villain from Bleach with 14 “votes”
2. The Eclipse from Berserk with 6 “votes”
3. Ace’s father revealed as Gol D. Roger and Whitebeard’s true intentions towards Ace’s futurefrom One Piece with 6 “votes”
4. Askeladd beheaded King Sweyn and his death following afterwards from Vinland Saga with 5 “votes”
5. Itachi revealed as a “good guy” from Naruto with 3 “votes”

*Zeref (Fairy Tail) suddenly appears and his/her appearance on Tenrou Island from Fairy Tail with 2 “votes”
*Cross tells Allen that he, Allen, is the 14th, and when it’s revealed Allen is the 14th Noah from D. Gray Man with 2 “votes”
*Priscilla decapitating Teresa and then Awakening from Claymore with 1 “vote”
*Ch 290 Hellhound “Guts’ inner demon” promising Guts ... etc from Berserk with 1 “vote”
*When Gildartz shows off his true power to Natsu ... etc from Fairy Tail with 1 “vote”
*When we found out that the awesome hat dude is Hazama freakin’ Tokimori from Kekkaishi with 1 “vote”
*Kanon got stabbed right after she was confirmed to possess a Goddess from Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai with 1 “vote”
*Gaara and other Sand ninja helping Konoha’s ninjas against Kimimaro and the other Sound ninja of Orochimaru’s from Naruto with 1 “vote”
*Wakaba dies from Cross Game with 1 “vote”
*When we find out that the 14th wants to kill the Earl and take over the position for himself from D. Gray Man with 1 “vote”
*The appearance of the aliens from Gantz with 1 “vote”
*Where the lead male character discovers he’s had an “oepidus rex” event, except it was with his daughter from Old Boy with 1 “vote”
*Yusuke was a half demon from Yu Yu Hakusho with 1 “vote”

and now, the winners from the Staff's choices:

It's a tie between Berserk's and Vinland Saga's

Bleach's

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]: