Best Villain | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Best Villain

Best Villain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

Best Villain Announcement!

The results are in for the first Manga Awards Ceremony (2010) at long last! The moment you have been waiting for, has finally arrived! [Drum rolls]

But first, our thanks. We thank everyone for their participation in nominating, voting, discussing, critiquing, and suggesting ideas for future Awards Ceremonies. This wouldn't have been possible without the hard work of the staff and most importantly our cherished members and loyal fans of manga!

but secondly, let's review of how we got to the winner(s) of the Best Villain Category.

Total “Votes” = 61

1. Orochimaru from Naruto with 7 “votes”
2. Johann Liebert from Monster with 6 “votes”
3. Griffith from Berserk with 6 “votes”
4. Father from Fullmetal Alchemist with 6 “votes”
5. The Millennium Earl from D. Gray Man with 4 “votes”

Aizen from Bleach with 3 “votes”
Light “Kira” Yagami from Death Note with 3 “votes”
Freeza from Dragon Ball with 2 “votes”
Blackbeard from One Piece with 2 “votes”
Friend from 20th/21st Century Boys with 2 “votes”
Kabuto from Naruto with 1 “vote”
Sasuke from Naruto with 1 “vote”
Priscilla from Claymore with 1 “vote”
Takasugi Shinsuke from Gintama with 1 “vote”
“Nosferatu” Zodd from Berserk with 1 “vote”
Animus from The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer with 1 “vote”
Askeladd from Vinland Saga with 1 “vote”
Envy from Fullmetal Alchemist with 1 “vote”
Yami Marik Ishtar from Yu-Gi-Oh with 1 “vote”
Kizaru Taisho from One Piece with 1 “vote”
Aji Tae from Shin Angyo no Onshi with 1 “vote”
Tenkaisei Mefisutoferesu no Yoma from Saint Seiya TLC with 1 “vote”
Hagoromo-Gitsune from Nurarihyon no Mago with 1 “vote”
Hisoka from Hunter x Hunter with 1 “vote”
Shira from Mugen no Juunin with 1 “vote”
Agon from Eyeshield 21 with 1 “vote”
Haguro Dou from Wolfen Crest with 1 “vote”
Shishio Makoto from Rurouni Kenshin with 1 “vote”
Nurarihyon from Gantz with 1 “vote”
Gilgamesh from Fate/Stay Night with 1 “vote”

and now, the winners from the Staff's choices:

Johann Liebert from Monster

Orochimaru from Naruto

and finally, what you all have been waiting for, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Members' winner choice [Drum rolls]:

Last edited by a moderator:

zelllogan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
In mangas, we have often "bad" characters becoming "good". But more rarely "good" characters becoming "bad" and that's maybe the reason why I hate so much Griffith ... & the reason why he is the best villain.

Among the others, I couldn't care less about Father. We almost never see him during the whole manga.

Orochimaru was a great villain but ... in the end ... he was just a puppy toyed around. Thank you itachi & thank you sasuke ...

I can perfectly understand why others would vote for Earl (atypical ... & completely nuts) & Johann (that's evil for you ...).

Last edited:

ashher

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
^ i won't exactly call johann 'evil'...he is just 'inhuman', which may be god or devil (or rather both).

Castriota

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
orochimaru without a doubt for me. he was just the embodiment of evil. no regard for anyone other than himself. only wanted to further his life by using others. no remorse with his killings. abducting mass amounts of people to use as test subjects. and development of some of the most forbidden jutsu? he is a villian of all villians.

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I voted for Orochimaru in Naruto.

He's a great villain: unique, respectable, and sympathetic type of character. I don't see him as "evil" per se, but he's definately a villain.

Unfortunately, I don't know (Monster: Johann Liebert) and (D. Gray Man: The Millennium Earl), so I had to omit these in my consideration.

(Father from Fullmetal Alchemist),
really didn't impress me that much, and he was too distant as well which detracted from his "villainy" at least for me. And lastly, I actually had a lot of sympathy for "him" or "it", as "He or it" just wanted freedom/life being a mere "Blob" cruelly imprisoned in a glass jar, just like Hoheimhim (can't spell) sympathized as well, and didn't really see him as a villain, at least for me.

as for (Berserk: Griffith),
if I remember correctly (it's been awhile so I might have this wrong), he was in fact basically actually a "good guy", simply seeking the power to do good and thus be a good guy. However, once he achieved that power, it then corrupted him. If this is an accurate summary, then I don't see him as a villain at all, which thus eliminates him from my choosing of Best Villain, lol.

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
as for (Berserk: Griffith),
if I remember correctly (it's been awhile so I might have this wrong), he was in fact basically actually a "good guy", simply seeking the power to do good and thus be a good guy. However, once he achieved that power, it then corrupted him. If this is an accurate summary, then I don't see him as a villain at all, which thus eliminates him from my choosing of Best Villain, lol.
It was a little different:
His dream was to have an own kingdom, and he was pretty close to achieving it actually. But then he got all shocked about Guts leaving, had sex with the princess as a result (almost forced it), the king found out and imprisoned/tortued him.
Afterwards he was rescued by his allies, but all crippled already (couldn't move, totally wrecked, his tongue cut out). After some events he met this trinket he once had, the behelit, and was "recruited" by the four godlike powerful godhand. Their offer was: You become one of us and can accomplish your dreams, but we sacrifice all of your friends/allies of your mercenary troup here.

Griffith's conclusion was, that his dream of achieving rule over a kingdom claimed many victims already -all of his soldiers who died in previous battles-, and so he decided that it was only natural to sacrifice these people as well. However, it was also a part of "If I do not sacrifice these people now, all the previous sacrifices were in vain".
After he turned into one of the godhand, his first action was to rape Caska in front of Guts.

So after all he was already corrupted before achieving that power, but only realised that in the moment that power layed before him.

His process of decision was caught in a flashback which the godhand show to him, it perfectly visualizes him by showing that the road to a remote castle is made of corpses:
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Berserk/42F12_RWWTK2F176-copy-jpg.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/T33_K3SS3LCH3N/Berserk/4_12_RWWTK_181-copy-jpg.jpg

My vote goes to Griffith/Berserk in the end. Griffith has more layers than villains like Orochimaru imo, who's path of becoming evil was simpler. And each of these layers are interesting, he was a cool character before turning deeply evil already.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I voted Johann for similar reasons. He is very complex character with lot of depth in his character and how he became what he is. Johan is one of the main reasons why Monster is such a phenomenal manga. The most frightening monsters don't have hairy bodies, several arms or horns. Once you get to understand this while reading about Johann, the corny name of the series suddenly makes sense. Johann is just creepy. His rational coldness is something special. And the biggest "monsters" lie in his past.

MiFuHi0

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Father all the way. Orochimaru is a close second, with his pure evilness. Johann is a real close third. Man, this was a hard one.

But what Father did in the flashbacks takes the cake.

street_san

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
My choice goes to Orochimaru.

This guy is almost the embodiment of evilness. I mean every little actions he took was in the detriment of someone else. He couldn't care less of others, and act according to his reasons, and his reasons only.

1.For me, what defines a great villain is by the quantity and quality of problems this villain can give to the main characters. And he's "kidnapping" of Sasuke was the biggest (and still) problems and failure Naruto had to face throughout the whole story.

2. Its not even debatable and I think that everyone who read Naruto (or at least part 1) know how monstruous Orochimaru's strength is. This guy is really danm powerful and could take on against any top ninja in this story, even now. And even his jutsus and tactics were plain evil. The way he fought, the way he used the snakes to help him during the fights are just plain evil and kind of gory, making me more willing to vote for him.

His philosophy, actions, strength and way of fighting, all put together make Orochimaru, imo, the best choice in this section.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I'm gonna ignore Part II Orochimaru for my own convenience and focus on Part I Orochimaru. \o

Orochimaru truly was a great villain. His motivation wasn't typical; he didn't care about ruling the world or being famous or whatever. He wanted to be the ultimate ninja and learn all ninjutsu in the world and was willing to sacrifice any life to get it. He experimented on people and played with their lives without even having a shred of remorse. What he did, why he did, it was just because he liked seeing things happened and thought life was boring at standstill.

The man also planned ahead and was brilliant! Even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had! He was so adept at mindfucking people like Sarutobi when he made Saru fight his old mentors. Part I Orochimaru was truly an epic villain.

Father was pretty good, but his motivation was power. He was dull to me.

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
I'm gonna ignore Part II Orochimaru for my own convenience and focus on Part I Orochimaru. \o

Orochimaru truly was a great villain. His motivation wasn't typical; he didn't care about ruling the world or being famous or whatever. He wanted to be the ultimate ninja and learn all ninjutsu in the world and was willing to sacrifice any life to get it. He experimented on people and played with their lives without even having a shred of remorse. What he did, why he did, it was just because he liked seeing things happened and thought life was boring at standstill.

The man also planned ahead and was brilliant! Even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had! He was so adept at mindfucking people like Sarutobi when he made Saru fight his old mentors. Part I Orochimaru was truly an epic villain.

Father was pretty good, but his motivation was power. He was dull to me.
Part 2 Orochimaru wasn't very different at all...even if the story got shifted and focused on Uchihas and in the end he was trolled twice, that shouldn't affect his character as a whole...his attitude remained the same, his goals were the same...
Another thing is that Part 2 has other villains in focus and Orochimaru needed to be eliminated...at least that's how I see it

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
just to add a comment of my own, though hopefully this is accurate, as I don't know Naruto that well:

(feel free to correct me, if I got this wrong. I don't mind being spoiled, as I already am quite a bit spoiled anyways, hehe, from my own curiosity and impatience, lol)

Also, wouldn't Orochimaru still be alive, if he hadn't failed in possessing Sasuke fully, or if he had simply continued to possess others, instead of trying to possess Sasuke? I mean wasn't Orochimaru, never truly defeated, excluding his downfall in/by his attempt to possess Sasuke? I know he still somewhat "lives" in Kabuto too, but still the "real" Orochimaru could have continued to live on, as he wasn't really ever defeated, he only died because he failed to possess Sasuke fully. And of course, Itachi was the one to remove, thus "killing", Orochimaru from Sasuke

Last edited:

street_san

Reaction score
Country
Canada
just to add a comment of my own, though hopefully this is accurate, as I don't know Naruto that well:

(feel free to correct me, if I got this wrong. I don't mind being spoiled, as I already am quite a bit spoiled anyways, hehe, from my own curiosity and impatience, lol)

Also, wouldn't Orochimaru still be alive, if he hadn't failed in possessing Sasuke fully, or if he had simply continued to possess others, instead of trying to possess Sasuke? I mean wasn't Orochimaru, never truly defeated, excluding his downfall in/by his attempt to possess Sasuke? I know he still somewhat "lives" in Kabuto too, but still the "real" Orochimaru could have continued to live on, as he wasn't really ever defeated, he only died because he failed to possess Sasuke fully. And of course, Itachi was the one to remove, thus "killing", Orochimaru from Sasuke
Orochimaru would've still be alive if he had the same strength he did when he fought the 3rd Hokage, and this is one of the main reason why the ritual of possessing someone failed. Due to the 3rd Hokage technique effect, Orochimaru began to loose some of his powers, and gradually became more affected by them (that was one of the reason he raised Sasuke, in order to take his body and finally be cured of this disease). He was still alive while he was in Sasuke's body (the same way the 9 tail is alive in Naruto's body)...but he was just not strong enough, giving Sasuke the chance to control his powers, and then as you said, he finally "died" in Itachi's hand. However, seeing how much chakra Kabuto have from Orochimaru, the real question now is.....is Orochimaru really dead ? With the info giving to us by Kabuto, Sasuke didn't have 100% of Orochimaru's strength inside him, and so, Itachi didn't sealed 100% of Orochimaru. This means that Orochimaru might get a chance to be ressurected, if Kabuto's able to gather enough of his chakra....but that's just a theory.

jorped

The True Ninja
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
My choice goes to Orochimaru.

This guy is almost the embodiment of evilness. I mean every little actions he took was in the detriment of someone else. He couldn't care less of others, and act according to his reasons, and his reasons only.

1.For me, what defines a great villain is by the quantity and quality of problems this villain can give to the main characters. And he's "kidnapping" of Sasuke was the biggest (and still) problems and failure Naruto had to face throughout the whole story.

2. Its not even debatable and I think that everyone who read Naruto (or at least part 1) know how monstruous Orochimaru's strength is. This guy is really danm powerful and could take on against any top ninja in this story, even now. And even his jutsus and tactics were plain evil. The way he fought, the way he used the snakes to help him during the fights are just plain evil and kind of gory, making me more willing to vote for him.

His philosophy, actions, strength and way of fighting, all put together make Orochimaru, imo, the best choice in this section.
its also my oppinion. for me he is the ultimate villain , when i sarted seeing naruto he was for me the biggest threat i couldnt even dream of someone worst than him and his actions changed the hole history. he is the one that made sasuke to go and by that he is causing Naruto all this trouble and all this worries

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My vote this time was between Father from FMA and Griffith from Berserk, but in the end I decided to vote for Griffith. Father was a despicable being and what he did was horrible; but what he did, and I’m not justifying his actions, he did it to people that weren’t his friends and that he didn’t truly care about. On the other hand, Griffith did something as terrible (and maybe even more) as what Father did but he did it to his own friends, to people that cared deeply about him and that at some point he really cared about them as well. He betrayed his own family in a way, because that is what The Band of the Hawk was to him in my opinion. So that is why I’m voting for Griffith in this award category.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Part 2 Orochimaru wasn't very different at all...even if the story got shifted and focused on Uchihas and in the end he was trolled twice, that shouldn't affect his character as a whole...his attitude remained the same, his goals were the same...
Another thing is that Part 2 has other villains in focus and Orochimaru needed to be eliminated...at least that's how I see it
No, he looked worse in Part II. In Part I, he looked epic when he fought against Sandaime Hokage despite using his summons for the majority of the fight and did decent to pretty well against Tsunade, Jiraiya, Naruto, and Shizune without arms even though he had Kabuto. In Part II, the only saving grace was him willing to fight Kyuubi and how he wasn't killed (though that's because of his real body really being that of a snake <_<).

In Part II, we see him get owned by two Uchiha so easily and quickly, and then after he has a chance to escape and get Sasuke's body, what does he do? He boasts and talks and gets sealed pretty quickly... even Tenten wasn't defeated this quickly and easily. Orochimaru looked weak and stupid. That event in Part II killed his character in my opinion. It doesn't help that Sasuke owned him in his own dimension.

At this point, Tobi's the better villain as he really did influence the events into what it is now. That single night not only took two of Naruto's parents away from him, but it robbed Konoha of its strongest hokage of the time, reduced Konoha's fighting power due to their shinobi being killed, implicated Uchiha and thus leading to their demise, and even made Naruto into a jinchuuriki where the risk of Kyuubi breaking out was higher than being sealed in Kushina. One may also argue that Tobi played a bigger part in making Sasuke what he was before learning the "truth" than Orochimaru, who merely reminded Sasuke of his true goal.

But, even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had on him, so there's somewhat a bright side. Kabuto's all that remains of Orochimaru's legacy now.

kristy

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would like to vote for Griffith as my best Villain character in voting poll. As he is not faithful character. converted good to bad.

street_san

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No, he looked worse in Part II. In Part I, he looked epic when he fought against Sandaime Hokage despite using his summons for the majority of the fight and did decent to pretty well against Tsunade, Jiraiya, Naruto, and Shizune without arms even though he had Kabuto. In Part II, the only saving grace was him willing to fight Kyuubi and how he wasn't killed (though that's because of his real body really being that of a snake <_<).

In Part II, we see him get owned by two Uchiha so easily and quickly, and then after he has a chance to escape and get Sasuke's body, what does he do? He boasts and talks and gets sealed pretty quickly... even Tenten wasn't defeated this quickly and easily. Orochimaru looked weak and stupid. That event in Part II killed his character in my opinion. It doesn't help that Sasuke owned him in his own dimension.

At this point, Tobi's the better villain as he really did influence the events into what it is now. That single night not only took two of Naruto's parents away from him, but it robbed Konoha of its strongest hokage of the time, reduced Konoha's fighting power due to their shinobi being killed, implicated Uchiha and thus leading to their demise, and even made Naruto into a jinchuuriki where the risk of Kyuubi breaking out was higher than being sealed in Kushina. One may also argue that Tobi played a bigger part in making Sasuke what he was before learning the "truth" than Orochimaru, who merely reminded Sasuke of his true goal.

But, even Tobi was shocked at the information Orochimaru had on him, so there's somewhat a bright side. Kabuto's all that remains of Orochimaru's legacy now.
Put Orochimaru back to full strength in Part II and give him a round 2 against Sasuke....do you really think the situation would've been the same ?

Orochimaru had the biggest impact on the main character. He was the one who robbed Naruto's "brother". He was the one who gave another important objective to Naruto.

It was clear that we wouldn't see Orochimaru with the same power he had in Part I since Sandaime stole his arms. Since that day, Orochimaru was weakened. He wouldn't be the same as he was before. But that doesn't matter. What define a great villain isn't only his power or strength but also his motive, philosophy and everything. Having someone who only wants to control the world is a little bit cliche. Madara's motive is really normal. I mean in 99% of stories, the main villain wants to overthrow the world and dominate mankind. Orochimaru was different. He had other goals. He wanted to know everything, and he used any means to achieve his goal. His jutsus and research were plain evil. His philosophy, ninja way and everything was pure evil, and that is why, for me, he deserve the title of best villain.

Even when he didn't have all his strength, he did pretty well against the 4th tail. I'm a 100% sure that if Orochimaru Part II had the same power he had against the Third Hokage, he could've injured Naruto 4 tails, and easily take control of Sasuke's body when he attacked him.

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Put Orochimaru back to full strength in Part II and give him a round 2 against Sasuke....do you really think the situation would've been the same ?
Yes.

We saw what a full level Orochimaru could do against the uchiha: absolutely nothing.

When he took again control during the "Itachi vs Sasuke" fight, he was an embarrassment. He was just a bug in a fight between gods.

The 3 sannins are just not strong enough against the real top. And the real top, that's where sasuke is ... and I'm not a sasuke fan.

Last edited:

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
It would've been the same...Orochimaru was going for the body not the kill, and that made him lose...he did render Sasuke motionless, he could've stabber him right there...but he didn't...