Final - Best Writing of 2017 | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Best Writing of 2017

Best Writing of 2017

• The Promised Neverland

• Berserk

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Final Round rules
  • You can vote for one (1) nominee
  • You are allowed to change your vote
  • This round will last for 5 days (ends on April 19th, 2018)

The Promised Neverland 23 vote(s)
Berserk 13 vote(s)
Vinland Saga 12 vote(s)
Hunter x Hunter 12 vote(s)
Nanatsu no Taizai 6 vote(s)
Dr. Stone 12 vote(s)

The Promised Neverland 7
Berserk 6
Vinland Saga 5
Hunter x Hunter 5
Nanatsu no Taizai 4
Dr. Stone 3

Kaguya-sama: Love is War 2
Tokyo Ghoul:RE 2
One Piece 2
Golden Kamuy 2
Kingdom 1
Black Clover 1
Boku no Hero Academia 1
Dragon Ball Chou 1
Attack on Titan 1

Semifinal Round rules
  • You can vote for two (2) nominees
  • You are allowed to change your vote
  • This round will last for 5 days (ends on April 12th, 2018)

Only Manga and elements of Manga that were published in 2017 are eligible.
The nomination round will end Wednesday, April 4th, 2018. Please choose up to 3 options.
Nomination Rules
  • You are allowed up to three nominations.
  • Please clearly state the Manga you are nominating as well as any further specifics (e.g. characters) if required.
  • Please bold all your nominations.
  • The six entries with the most nominations per entry will proceed to the next round.
  • If there will be more than 6 in this pool, the staff will break the ties that might occur.
  • Please refer to Myanimelist to see if a potential nominee is eligible

If you want to change your nominations, please quote your original nomination post and clearly state which nominations you want to change along with your new nominations.

Post questions and comments to the 2018 Manga Awards Info Thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
  1. The Promised Neverland
Still good. Not quite as gripping writing right now as in first arc, but majority if the first one still is 2017 stuff so. Bit too reliant to shock factor and cliffhangers to my taste, but that's not necessary a bad thing for a weekly serial.

Berserk

The moment we've been waiting for a decade or so finally manisfests itself in the form of most fascinating dream sequence. The journey through Cascas mind was wonderfully metaphorically written into nightmarish events and phenomena.

Vinland Saga

Thorfinns growth into a peaceful man has been put to a true test as he is written into a conflict with lot of personal impact as new truths are revealed to him. I love in this arc how Makoto has written the supporting characters to reflect Thorfinns issues as well as developing the characters themselves at the same time. I particulary love Sigurds arc. How the dense and originally a bit mean fellow grows into realizing that he doesn't really want Gudrid or war feats. What is the point of an arranged marriage and that 'heroic' adventures always have their dark moments.

Hunter x Hunter

Love how intricate the setting is on the boat. Togashi has really outdone himself with thinking thorough the actions of all the parties involved in the power structure of the voyage. It is really beautifully woven spiders web (no pun intended). I love how Togashis characters really think and their thought processes are written through. Sometimes the reading gets a bit tedious and sometimes it feels like the translators are really struggling with the material. Can't help wonder if Togashi could try write things more into actions.

Nanatsu no Taizai

Can't say much. Dropped after 40 or so chapters. Felt too generic shonen for me. Not too fond of using sexual harassment as a running gag and character quirk either. And boggles my mind the said victim female character is up for the best lead. But who knows, maybe it's better now. Hear it has some charming characters and good twists.

Dr. Stone

I so admire the effort that goes into writing the science in this! Most interesting idea in Jump since someone thought of food so good that it literally blows your pants off. But yeah, even if the overall plot feels a bit meh at times, the series is definitely well written. Loved how unconventional the obligatory shine fighting tournament was too. The brain vs brawn theme suits my tastes well.

Tough call, but my picks are Berserk and Vinland.

Gut's is the man

Reaction score
Country
United States
  1. The Promised Neverland
Still good. Not quite as gripping writing right now as in first arc, but majority if the first one still is 2017 stuff so. Bit too reliant to shock factor and cliffhangers to my taste, but that's not necessary a bad thing for a weekly serial.

Berserk

The moment we've been waiting for a decade or so finally manisfests itself in the form of most fascinating dream sequence. The journey through Cascas mind was wonderfully metaphorically written into nightmarish events and phenomena.

Vinland Saga

Thorfinns growth into a peaceful man has been put to a true test as he is written into a conflict with lot of personal impact as new truths are revealed to him. I love in this arc how Makoto has written the supporting characters to reflect Thorfinns issues as well as developing the characters themselves at the same time. I particulary love Sigurds arc. How the dense and originally a bit mean fellow grows into realizing that he doesn't really want Gudrid or war feats. What is the point of an arranged marriage and that 'heroic' adventures always have their dark moments.

Hunter x Hunter

Love how intricate the setting is on the boat. Togashi has really outdone himself with thinking thorough the actions of all the parties involved in the power structure of the voyage. It is really beautifully woven spiders web (no pun intended). I love how Togashis characters really think and their thought processes are written through. Sometimes the reading gets a bit tedious and sometimes it feels like the translators are really struggling with the material. Can't help wonder if Togashi could try write things more into actions.

Nanatsu no Taizai

Can't say much. Dropped after 40 or so chapters. Felt too generic shonen for me. Not too fond of using sexual harassment as a running gag and character quirk either. And boggles my mind the said victim female character is up for the best lead. But who knows, maybe it's better now. Hear it has some charming characters and good twists.

Dr. Stone

I so admire the effort that goes into writing the science in this! Most interesting idea in Jump since someone thought of food so good that it literally blows your pants off. But yeah, even if the overall plot feels a bit meh at times, the series is definitely well written. Loved how unconventional the obligatory shine fighting tournament was too. The brain vs brawn theme suits my tastes well.

Tough call, but my picks are Berserk and Vinland.
NNT actually turns alot of cliches on it's head and the sexual harassment aspect does have a decent implied reasoning for why Mel does it.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Maybe it has. But early on it is used merely as a "funny" character quirk and I don't like normalizing unacceptable behaviour, especially when the main demographic is pre-teens and teens still kinda figuring out how to express sexuality. Not a good example.

Lomahongva

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
TPN and Vinland Saga for me.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Sorry TPN is good but Berserk is on another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.