Final Voting Round - Best Writing | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Voting Round Best Writing

What was your Best Written Manga of 2015

• Boku Dake ga Inai Machi

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • Boku no Hero Academia

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Fairy Tail

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Hunter x Hunter

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • One Punch Man

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Tokyo Ghoul:re

Votes: 13 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
@Ustegius I'm fine with Boku DakeGa Inai Machi, the manga was great in terms of writing (thousand times better than the anime for some reasons you know :)) but I still think HxH deserves this, every little thing in the manga is well thought, the characters writing & plot depth, also exceeds any other shonen manga I know, quality wise. HxH is often regarded a deconstructing nekketsu tropes story. Btw Ishida is a huge fan of HxH ^^: see the HxH volumes in his desk :teehee

Tbh, I really don't understand how came One piece be eliminated while its writing is great (it's not like Op is not popular) :err (D gray man, Gintama, even shingeki no kyojin are eliminated too... :hmm)
Yeah, Togashi is incredible, especially as how he defies and turns tropes upside down. He is also a brilliant sequential artist. He has really mastered the tools of visual storytelling of comics format. He has a wide range in storytelling methods. Maybe lately little too much telling over showing to my taste, but never the less, he is still brilliant. And as you said, has excellent eye for detail and he really thinks things and makes his characters think too. That's lovely.

Not that suprising about the Ishida and Togashi., takes a good writer to know one ;)

One Piece being out is kinda suprising. It is popular and well-written. But I think has a lot do with certain type of people who like OP (and also like FT). Pretty much every OP chapter where there is no action or grand melodramatic twists, there are a handfull of people going "Boring chapter, all time wasted on exposition/character developement/humor/expanding and studying themes etc. That's so dumb and useless, they should go and beat the crap out of Big Mom and Kaido already". Yeah yeah, I want see Luffy kick-ass too and cry my eyes out with some melodrama. But that doesn't work without proper building up, and comes pretty boring pretty fast with actual content that makes us care for the fight and the characters.

If Fairy Tail wins this I feel like punching myself. Just like Uste I could deal with pretty much every other nominee winning, but voting for Fairytail makes me feel like people are either making a blind fanvote or simply don't know (most of) the other series. FT certainly has some qualities, but the writing basically is the weakest part of the manga.
As I said, this is pretty much popularity poll imho, that includes both blindfanvotes and not knowing most of the competion.

I've never felt like Mashima actually writes his own story, but he writes his version of story that he has already heard/read. I often feel like there is nothing of him in it.(Which ironically is what drives the protagonist in Boku dake no Inai Machi). He uses tropes, character types, story structures, that could be directly from a "How to write a shonen manga"-textbook. It's not a bad thing and he does have cast of fun characters and a story that flows rather well, but mostly it does not feel very original to me. It's all shiny and he sure knows how to illustrate fights and how to draw boobs and booties. But that's it. It never feels personal. It never feels like it has deep underlying themes or messages. It's kind of an soap opera. The characters have their tragic stories and they win me over with them, but that's that. Never gotten the feels or thrills like with One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Fullmetal Alchemist or early Naruto. It has never left me thinking about themes and ideas, it never provokes any thoughts in me. One Piece makes think about the nature of freedom and power and the whole picture of discrimination. Fairy Tail pretty much such states things like "Slavery is bad". Well, duh, of course it is.

Honestly, I think Fairy Tail is in completly wrong category here.It's like a Marvel movie in the best Screenplay Oscar category. Sure, Marvel movies are pretty good, but best screenplay of the year? Hell no.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know, though I didn't vote for it, I feel like the case can be made. Fairy Tail may not be the most intricately written thing in the world but there is something to be said for managing to deliver what fans want week and and week out without fail.

Hiro Mashima doesn't mess up. The worst story parts of Fairy Tail over the last few years are still pretty good. Not sure how many manga can make that claim.

Consistency may not be the sexiest characteristic in writing but he's got it in spades.:amuse

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I don't know, though I didn't vote for it, I feel like the case can be made. Fairy Tail may not be the most intricately written thing in the world but there is something to be said for managing to deliver what fans want week and and week out without fail.
And that is exactly one of my problems with FT being featured here. It does exactly what you expect it do It follows the same old story structures and character types. It's predictable, formulaic. Not suprising or original. It gives fans what they want, not necessarily what they need. I actually do not think that pleasing masses is such a hard trick to do. It's essentially a soap opera. And that's not bad thing, the hell I've worked in a soap opera, and I know doing succesfull soap takes work and skill. But still anyone on set acknowledges, that they are not exactly doing the new Wire or Breaking Bad.

Consistency may not be the sexiest characteristic in writing but he's got it in spades.:amuse
In other word's, he esseantially does a bulk product. Consistency is good, but too much reliance on old-trick makes it completly flat. Curves and angles are interesting. As I said, nothing wrong with it. It works and is good, I even still read FT (even if I tend to completly forget it for months and then catching up feels painfully work-some).

But here Fairy Tail is like an Ikea stool among hand-crafted artisan masterpieces. It's completly nice-looking and functional, but it's the cheap and comfortable solution. It deserves recognition, but not definetly the title of the "best".

desin24

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
The one that deserves to win this one is definitely Hunter x Hunter and chapter 350 just proved Togashi's genius writing, unfortunately seems hxh, despite its greatness, is not popular enough :pout.

I absolutely agree that HxH has great writing, my main issue with voting for it is that it's not fair to all the other contenders. All of them brought chapters out continously over the last year and HxH gave us now 11 chapters in 4 years. We have these awards every year and just because HxH barely fulfills the criteria for the two year rule (which imo should be reduced to make the annual event actually relevant to the proper year) it just doesn't feel fair.

If Fairy Tail wins this I feel like punching myself. Just like Uste I could deal with pretty much every other nominee winning, but voting for Fairytail makes me feel like people are either making a blind fanvote or simply don't know (most of) the other series. FT certainly has some qualities, but the writing basically is the weakest part of the manga.
You summarized my feelings pretty well, which is why I said I was surprised with Fairy Tail having the most votes. Personally I dropped it 2 times because the nakama powerups making me nauseous (reading again because friends said it got very good) but that's of course entirely subjective and therefore just my opinion and in no way looking down on anyone who votes for it.

souske

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Magi was leagues above every manga in 2015.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Why is Hunter x Hunter on this list lol, it didnt have a chapter in 2015.

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Magi was leagues above every manga in 2015.
Why is Hunter x Hunter on this list lol, its not even that good and didnt have a chapter in 2015.
It is that good. Though good point, considering that the previous chapter was from 6/2014 and the nweste from yesterday :D

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Noted the opinion and suggestions. Thanks guys!

We will need to re-evaluate the criteria of nominees. Understand that Hunter x Hunter may have much fewer chapters than the rest. I know the other authors are working hard day after day to present the series every week.

For the rest, we can't stop people from taking it as a "popularity vote" since it is not within our control.

As for myself, I consider thoroughly on the various series and what the voting is for. The only disadvantage I have is that I don't read all the listed series. The only thing I know about them is through the synopsis and "word of mouth". Thus I can only compare those that I have read. :^_^

kannazuki

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Why is Hunter x Hunter on this list lol, it didnt have a chapter in 2015.
It was decided series that published from 2014-2015 were to be accepted for nomination in this and other categories since there wasn't an awards event for 2014. Technically HxH qualifies. All else being equal, each person's valuation of quantity vs. quality will play out in what they vote. :)

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I voted for HxH in some categories even with a single option like Best Cast and Ging for Best Supporting Char but not this one, for the same reason as @desin24. Tokyo Ghoul:re for me.

Last edited:

Rescorlian

Reaction score
Country
France
I nominate Hunter x Hunter and Tokyo Ghoul :re (what are those trolls that nominated FT seriously ? :eek:)
Oh glad I have an admin on my side haha