Better/cheaper version of Photoshop? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Better/cheaper version of Photoshop?

dogedoge

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
So we all know how great Photoshop is, but it's well expensive! I don't really like their subscription method either. What do other people use as an alternative?

Utsune

風立ちぬ いざ生きめやも
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I usually use Photoshop CS2 myself, but I know a few decent 'alternatives' my friends recommended me over time so I'll put them out there.

There is FireAlpaca, which you can download for free. I really like the simple interface, and there are tools similar to what you'll find in PS. Not super super advanced things you might find in PS but then again, this program is free. It's a Japanese program originally but I think they should have an English version so be sure to get the right version.

I also know of this Paint Tool Sai but I haven't used it myself. The portable version is free to my belief. I'm not as familiar with this one so you might want to look it up yourself.

And of course there is GIMP, but I only use it for very specific purposes. I don't use it otherwise because I can't get used to the different hotkeys as in PS. Again, being a freeware the functions are generally less powerful than PS but by no means useless. It covers for a lot of basic needs you might have. I don't really like the interface here tbh but that might just me not being used to it.

dogedoge

Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually use Photoshop CS2 myself, but I know a few decent 'alternatives' my friends recommended me over time so I'll put them out there.

There is FireAlpaca, which you can download for free. I really like the simple interface, and there are tools similar to what you'll find in PS. Not super super advanced things you might find in PS but then again, this program is free. It's a Japanese program originally but I think they should have an English version so be sure to get the right version.

I also know of this Paint Tool Sai but I haven't used it myself. The portable version is free to my belief. I'm not as familiar with this one so you might want to look it up yourself.

And of course there is GIMP, but I only use it for very specific purposes. I don't use it otherwise because I can't get used to the different hotkeys as in PS. Again, being a freeware the functions are generally less powerful than PS but by no means useless. It covers for a lot of basic needs you might have. I don't really like the interface here tbh but that might just me not being used to it.
Ah ok, not heard of any of those, but they sound decent :) So still using CS2? No new features you like?

texashann

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Hmm, but what are you using Photoshop for mostly? I think it depends a lot as to whether you're a photographer or graphic designer, for example.

dogedoge

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mostly for photography reasons. I just like to alter the brightness, contrast, sharpness. and then perhaps remove a few unwanted things from the image. I used to have CS2 on my PC, but I've switched to Mac and don't have an editing program anymore. I don't really use it enough to warrant paying for something, so been trying out a few free options. But I'm not sure if I'm using the best!

texashann

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Fairy Tail
Okay. Doesn't sound like you need to buy a program really, I imagine there are lots of free programs you'll like. What have you tried so far?

Qixus

Party Starter
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I really like using clip-studio aka manga studio 5.
You can do a free trial with limited features.
I personally love it, and it's a one-time buy. Unlike Photoshop which wants a subscription.
Depending on the version you get, price may vary. But We're looking at $50.00
If you're interested, here's a link.
http://www.clipstudio.net/en

Qixus

Party Starter
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Usually its $50 (USD) But right now they;re having a great sale, I just bought it finally. Right now its going for $25.
Personally I like Clip Studio more than photoshop/illustrator. I advise that you look into it (Youtube vids, articles etc) before you buy. But do it quickly, as there's only one day left for the sale.
I just thought it was too great of a deal to not spread the word.

Link to Clip Studio website: http://www.clipstudio.net/en
Feel free to post any other sales on digital art programs and tools.