Cleaning - Borders Tutorial | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Cleaning Borders Tutorial

Allashandra

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I put the images behind spoiler tags so that you can choose to view them when you want and hide them when you don't want them.

Before doing the borders make sure the page is properly rotated and resized. If you resize after doing the borders they become blurry again and you will have to redo them.

If you wish here is the original file for you to practice on...
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1355/fma6427oy2.jpg

Select the Pencil Tool (B) which is a part of the brush pallette.

Or you can use the line tool (U) with the anti-alised option unchecked. We don't want to use anit-alise when doing straight lines like borders because then it blurs the effect. We want nice and crisp borders. Just remember to recheck the anti-alised option before doing other drawing work with the line tool on a diagonal. If there is a diagonal border then use the line tool with the anti-alise box checked.

Set the pixel width to 3 px color #000000 (default black) for FMA pages. Make a new layer (CRTL + shift + N) I call this layer borders. Zoom in to around 300 percent and line up the tool with the inside edge of the border on the page. Click the left mouse button and hold down the shift key (holding down the shift key while drawing with the tool insures that the line you are making is perfectly straight), and draw the border across the page. When there is more than one panel with borders aligned I continue on to complete the border without reseting the tool this way I can be sure of proper alignment.

This is a close up after the lines have been drawn.

Notice the line across the text bubble? We will take care of that before we are done. Also notice that the orginal border is still there and making things look messy. We will take care of that in the next step. Now here is the full page with the new borders drawn on. It looks like quite the mess but this is easy to clean up.

To clean the outside of the panels we are going to use the rectangle too. (U). Make a new layer I call it whites and do most of my cleaning of the whites on this layer. Make sure that this layer is postioned under the borders layer. Change the foreground color to white (#FFFFFF) and select the rectangle tool set to fill.

Pick a corner to begin and using the outside of new borderline as your guide extend the rectangle out to cover the outside of the page. You will have to do this in stages to cover the entire page. Here is the page with the white parts cleaned.

Now the extra lines from when you made the borders are pretty obvious what isn't obvious is the two text bubbles that extended outside of the panel. Reduce the opacity on the white layer to around 75 percent and go in and erase the white over the text bubble with the eraser tool (E). Don't forget to return the opacity on this layer back to 100 percent. This image shows the area with the opacity level reduced so that you can see the lines of the text bubbles.

This process is the same for SFX that extend outside the panel borders you just have to erase more. Now click on the border layer and using the pencil or line tool color white over the excess border lines. And erase the borderline that crosses through the two text bubbles that extend outside the panels. What we have left to do is clean the inside of the borders now. You can see from this image there is still some of the old border remaining on the inside of the borderlines.

Click on the white layer again and go in with a brush and clean the inside of the borders where you can if they need it. The page will look like this when done.

All the borders are nice, crisp, and perfectly aligned and all the space around the panels is nice and white. Now all you have to do is finish the clean!

A final note if you have SFX that extends outside of the panel borders there is usually a little white space between the SFX and the borders as if the text had been stroked. You want to make sure and have this white space if your original raw had it as well.

delete

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks for taking the time to make this tutorial. It's very helpful. ^^

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
How come you dont anti-alias the frameborders? If you ever get one on an angle, and you redraw it with no anti-aliasing, it looks ugly as hell, and if you redraw it with anti-aliasing, it would look different from all the other unanti-aliased ones

delete

Reaction score
Country
Australia
lol, Void, I don't think you read the whole tutorial. :p

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
hmm? i just re-read it, and i dont see how it would work with frameborders on an angle

Allashandra

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
_V0iD_ said:
How come you dont anti-alias the frameborders? If you ever get one on an angle, and you redraw it with no anti-aliasing, it looks ugly as hell, and if you redraw it with anti-aliasing, it would look different from all the other unanti-aliased ones
For straight borderlines it is much sharper looking to have no anti-alias. I will bold for clearification the section of the paragraph that discusses diagonal borderlines.

Allashandra said:
Or you can use the line tool (U) with the anti-alised option unchecked. We don't want to use anit-alise when doing straight lines like borders because then it blurs the effect. We want nice and crisp borders. Just remember to recheck the anti-alised option before doing other drawing work with the line tool on a diagonal. If there is a diagonal border then use the line tool with the anti-alias box checked.
What I also do for diagonal lines is line up the inside edge of the line with the inside edge of the original border and then on the layer under the borders layer I use the line tool again with white to shave off some of the excess original border on the outside so that the line is not to thick.

Here is an example of borders done at 2px with one diagonal line. I used 2 px for this example because many manga should be done at 2 px such as Naruto. These are just borders I made not borders redone from a manga.

delete said:
Thanks for taking the time to make this tutorial. It's very helpful. ^^
You're welcome. Borders is one area that took me a long time to get right so I wanted to share a method for doing them that works. This isn't the only method just what I found that works best for me.

_V0iD_

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
whoops, guess i missed that bit (twice lol) dont mind me :smile-big

nice tut by the way

kyubisharingan

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
WOW this really helps, thanks^^

Cipo

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Thank you

73rdStar

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
when i selected the line tool, there was no anti-alias check box...
i use cs3 ps...

DrPepperPro

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
When you're on the line tool, make sure you have the "fill pixels" mode selected, then the anti-aliasing option appears.

73rdStar

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
ah..got it... thanks

[Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I use the rectangle tool set to paths to draw a path around the panels I want to stroke, then stroke with 2px pencil. For diagonals, I make the shape, drag it into place and stroke twice with a 2px brush. Once I'm done placing them, I just delete the excess. I work on several layers to make deleting the extra easier, then just merge into a single Panels layer. Works out pretty quick for me. :)

~*Animangel*~

Reaction score
Country
United States
... Some pictures don't work anymore...

Mapringg

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
fix some of the pictures please