Boys on the run | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Boys on the run

kohaku

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
Hi everyone, sometime ago I posted a message to get help in understanding japanese via manga translations. As it was on Dragon Head for which a number of volumes are already scanlated I thought it might be better to start a series from scratch. So I picked a series that seemed fun which is published in Big Comic Spirits and is called Boys on the run. So I propose to create this thread where I'll look for help and direction in the translation.
I bought the first volume and scanned half of it.

I'll post translation proposals when I can try to translate, I'll be happy if you comment and help.

Fusawashii Kyuuri

Translator
Reaction score
This doesn't look like a easy manga to translate, especially with no furigana beside the kanji. I think you should post the images so they're easier to read. It's really hard when we have to scroll to the right to see the "hidden" page. I've just tried translating page 4, the contents page.

p.4
Chapter 1: Happy Birthday
Chap 2: Uemura Chiharu (This should be someone's name)
Chap 3: Abura Zemi (Brown Cicada)
Chap 4: Run! Merosu
Chap 5: Tactician
Chap 6: Biagaaden (Beer Garden?)
Chapt 7: (not sure about this atm)
Chap 8: Tororo's battle
Chap 9: I'm sorry
Chap 10: Such an idiot

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks for the translations and advice. I'll cut the files in two and repost one or two at a time. Uemua Chiharu is indeed a girl's name and looking at the chapter they end up in some kind of izakaya so I think it's beer garden.

Hey, Customer's
Name and age are alright? (ii is used here. So I translated by alright but may not be used in that sense so might only be asking age and name)

Huh!?
To...Toshiyuki Tanishi
Twen...I'm 26.

OK, please pick a drink and a lovely video behind you
huh
Ye...Yes

Then you'll have up to 00:05
For room 8, you'll need to turn left (there are the meaning of aim and touch in the kanji but I don't understand how they should be associated)
O...OK

Waow
I said my real name.

(don't know what mô ii ya means - maybe doesn't matter or anyway or something alike)

It's been a long time...

pocketmofo

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's how I would likely tackle the pages you posted. Hopefully this will help out a bit.

Well then, may I have your name and age?

(he asks for "the customer's name and age" but it would probably bit awkward to translate it into English that way. Had he said "この名前と年齢はいい(よろしい)ですね。。。" then it would imply that the owner was confirming the customer's name and age. In this case, the owner is wondering if would be alright to get the customer's name and age which is why we have the "いい?")

Oh, Ta....Tanishi Toshiyuki, tw...twenty six.

Then please select a video and drink from behind you.

You'll have until 12:05am. Turn left, room 8 should be at the end there. (**very vague and very Japanese sentence)

(This line is pretty abbreviated so you just sort of have to imagine that when he turns left that there will be a hallway with lots of doors. At the end of the hall (廊下の突き当たり) should be where his room is at. What the phrase should mean is that he turns left into a hallway and the door to the room should be right in front of him although it might be at the end of the hall. However, it could be at the end of the hall on the left or right. 突き当たり by itself is pretty vague and is often used in karaoke places when the owner or cashier wants to give you vague directions.)

Ye...yes.

Oh maaaan, I said my real name...

Oh screw it already... (Oh who the hell cares..., Oh whatever...)

It's been a while...

kohaku

Translator
Reaction score
Country
France
Many thanks, good to know that the sentence was vague and shortened, a good reason for not having understood it :)