Character - Byoudouin Houou | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Byoudouin Houou

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
General discussion thread for Byoudouin. For now I've mainly wanted to compile a history section for him because it's a bit trickier to nail down than the history of other characters. I like the way we've learned about his past little by little, though.

The numbers in brackets indicate chapter sources.

High School 1st Year
  • Becomes a 1st year at Makinofuji high school (94)
  • Wins the Fall Newcomer Tournament (243)
  • Receives an invitation to the Japanese U-17 Representatives Selection Camp
  • Loses against Oni in the paired matches (95)
  • Climbs up the mountain, is told about his limits by Mifune (344)
  • Starts meditating at Ryoshimachi temple (344)
  • Opens the door to the Divine Path of the Asura; Enters a dark side passage instead, but leaves the door open (345)
  • Becomes a member of the Overseas Expedition Team
  • Participates in the U-17 World Cup in France
  • Saves Chloe (145)
  • Loses against France in the Group League (146)
    Loses to Duke in S1 (146)
  • Starts traveling the world with Duke (340)
  • Smashes a coconut single-handedly; Is crowned Buko King (340)
  • Plays against Amadeus (219)
    Is struck by lightning and declared dead; Revives after 13 hours (346, 347)
  • Plays against Medanore; Injures Medanore with Destruction (352)*
*This might've happened at some other point in time, but around here makes sense to me.
High School 2nd Year
  • Becomes a 2nd year at Makinofuji high school
  • Participates in the Japanese U-17 Representatives Selection Camp
  • Becomes captain of the Overseas Expedition Team (117)*
  • Wins against Tokugawa; Is stopped by Oni and Irie before crushing Tokugawa's spirit (116)
*This might've already happened during his first year.

High School 3rd Year
  • Becomes a 3rd year at Makinofuji high school
  • Participates in the Japanese U-17 Representatives Selection Camp
  • Participates in the Asia expedition (1)
    Recruits Ryoga (53)
  • Returns to the U-17 camp
  • Attacks Tokugawa and Ryoma; Is stopped by Ryoga (68)
  • Wins against the 2nd string (127)
    Wins against Tokugawa in the No. 1 match (126)
  • Participates in the pickup contest (137)
  • Participates in the U-17 World Cup
  • Loses against Germany in the Pre-WC (171)
    Retreats from the 3rd match to let Tokugawa play (151)
  • Wins against Greece in the Group League (194)
  • Wins against Australia in the Group League (213)
  • Loses against Switzerland in the Group League (225)
    The round is decided before Byoudouin's match
  • Advances to the Finals Tournament
  • Wins against Aramenoma in the round of 16 via walkover (229)
    Observes France vs. England (231)
  • Asks Mifune to let Duke play S1 against France (232)
  • Wins against France in the quarterfinals (266)
  • Wins against Germany in the semifinals (352)
    Wins against Volk in S1 (352)

And I guess as a bonus, here's a list of known world techniques:
  • Bullfighting of Spain
  • Chinese Phoenix Dance
  • Claw of the Chinese Fire Dragon
  • Exotic of Japan
  • Libya's Gargantual Hail
  • Phoenix of Egypt
  • Pirates of the American
  • Pirates of the World
  • Roar of the African Simba
  • Snake Charmer of India
  • Wallace's Great Bee
It's a bit interesting that he has two Chinese moves.

Ganonslayer101

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's pretty interesting that he symbolically left the door open for the Divine Path of the Asura.
Despite being obvious foreshadowing for Tokugawa/ maybe Ryoma to awaken something from it, it also serves as an explanation for a lot of his contradictory behavior.
Byoudouin consistently asserts that being nice and fair won't help them conquer the world. A viewpoint only reinforced by his loss in the world cup after saving Chloe.
Yet time and again, he gives people like Tokugawa a chance to prove him wrong. He let him face Volk, he let Akutsu face Amadeus, he let Ryoma back on the team despite his challenging attitude( I know it wasn't technically his decision but i bet he could have convinced Mifune not to) and he was willing to let Duke face Camus.
This all makes sense if you consider the idea that he's giving these opportunities away to see if someone else can step through the door like he did.
Assuming that 8th Conciousness is the result of the dark path; he tried with Akutsu but he took the same path. He tried with Duke but Duke didn't get his chance. He might have tried with Ryoma but he left/ found his own way. He tried with Tokugawa but he couldn't manage it.
The difference though is that unlike with Akutsu where he kicked him off the team he's instead gonna Train Tokugawa proper.

I think it's very interesting how surprisingly deep Byoudouin is after starting as just the standard cocky jerk

Adamska

Reaction score
Country
Iran
Not so much information from 2nd year so:
During 1st year he shows confidence in his personality but still he was human being (sort of) but after losing Vs France and ...
He's personlity changes (you know) so I think 2nd year is the one that he faces Antonio Medanore and Tokugawa as well and as I say before he might develope his pirate to skull vs Meda which makes more sense...
WT's of Byoudin are strong but so far none of them alone worked out for him Vs opponents. howeve with combination of Libya's Gargantual Hail and Fuji's Higuma Otoshi it worked so I think you can say that goes for others too.()

mathematicianrcg

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Really Happy because Byodoin is probably the consensus strongest Hser in Japan right now.

I guess a lot of manga readers (and future anime watchers) underedtimated/will underestimate Byo because at the start:

1. He lost to Oni (Flashback) (Only Legit lost I think)

2. He lost to Duke (Flashback) (Due to Byo being injured)

3. Almost lost to Tokugawa ( If not for Ryoma). I think Byodoin himself said that "Tokugawa would have won if he didnt save ryoma"

I know. There are unique reasons why those happened. Such as saving duke's sister, or not removing limit, etc.

But in the latter ones, we learned that he is a rival to Medanore, Volk, and Amadeus.

Beating Volk is the icing in the cake, showing Why Byodoin is Japan's No.1 right now.

PS: Duke being in S1 in France VS Japan flashback is interesting. (Over Camus)
I think we still dont see Duke's full power yet. But that is another topic. Hehe

ChinkyCandie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Didn't he have a Russian move? What country is Wallace's Great Bee from (Behind in the manga)?

Two Phoenix moves, Two Chinese moves, Two Pirate moves. Nice.

Adamska

Reaction score
Country
Iran
Yes, actually he does but never uses in any matchs and the other one used by Niou (Indonesia I think) which consider as a low or medium Technique
and another thing:
  • Smashes a coconut single-handedly; Is crowned Buko King (340)
This happened when He was third year (by judging beard and ...) probably before joining to rest to visit china.

erosares286

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Is it confirmed that Byodouin is the one who injured Medanore? Is it Tokugawa only asking for help to make him stronger. Correct me if I'm wrong, did I miss something

Adamska

Reaction score
Country
Iran
Is it confirmed that Byodouin is the one who injured Medanore? Is it Tokugawa only asking for help to make him stronger. Correct me if I'm wrong, did I miss something
It's ture. he did it by all means:)) when? maybe sometimes after his match Vs A.Amadeus...
He clears The Path Of Asura for Tokugawa and he steps into it twice so far which asumimg every time makes a person stronger + he exchanges some words with Boss about Asura and Medanore, I supposed...
Anyway the way of Tokugawa is different from Boss. He wanst to make it with honor...
however his match Vs Medanore claims his life in order to win (someting like Byou Vs Monster Volk) still the result might not be the same.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Regarding Boss's stat:
Power: 7- Tech: 10 - Mental: 7 - Stamina: 5.5 - Speed: 5
... Tezuka: Before his match VS Yukimura
Power: 4 - Tech: 6- Mental: 5- Stamina: 4 - Speed: 4.5
- Duke No.1 in power
- Ohmagari No.1 in stamina
He is number 1 in mental and technique
Speed: ?
Now Msers:
Power: ?
Tech: Tezuka: 6
Stamina: Atobe: 5.5
Mental: Yukimura: 6
This is all I know so far based their matches right before Vs Germany.
As you can see still Boss got the upper hand without considering his experience and 8C
If you guys know anything about unfilled category then fill it:))
I wonder if this stat of Byouding is from: his 60% or right before Volk? or after his match vs Monster Volk?!
Anyway with 8C he reach his full potential which lead him a toe to toe match with Monster Volk (which he has the most efficient stat among everyone)
so something like 10 or even more in every category?

Last edited:

erosares286

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Boss did not answer directly that he's the one who injured Medanore. Maybe, I think during their match, Medanore injured himself by unlocking crazy ability(maybe the final Divine Path of the Asura?) something like that. Let's see what really happens. Can't wait for the Finals.

Adamska

Reaction score
Country
Iran
Boss did not answer directly that he's the one who injured Medanore. Maybe, I think during their match, Medanore injured himself by unlocking crazy ability(maybe the final Divine Path of the Asura?) something like that. Let's see what really happens. Can't wait for the Finals.
No, but the story is obvious telling us that.
Medanore's style might be different from Path of Asura same as Volk or Amadeus...

RadicalEdward

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's ture. he did it by all means:)) when? maybe sometimes after his match Vs A.Amadeus...
He clears The Path Of Asura for Tokugawa and he steps into it twice so far which asumimg every time makes a person stronger + he exchanges some words with Boss about Asura and Medanore, I supposed...
Anyway the way of Tokugawa is different from Boss. He wanst to make it with honor...
however his match Vs Medanore claims his life in order to win (someting like Byou Vs Monster Volk) still the result might not be the same.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Regarding Boss's stat:
Power: 7- Tech: 10 - Mental: 7 - Stamina: 5.5 - Speed: 5
... Tezuka: Before his match VS Yukimura
Power: 4 - Tech: 6- Mental: 5- Stamina: 4 - Speed: 4.5
- Duke No.1 in power
- Ohmagari No.1 in stamina
He is number 1 in mental and technique
Now Msers:
Power: ?
Tech: Tezuka: 6
Stamina: Atobe: 5.5
Mental: Yukimura: 6
This is all I know so far based their matches right before Vs Germany.
As you can see still Boss got the upper hand without considering his experience and 8C
If you guys know anything about unfilled category then fill it:))
I wonder if this stat of Byouding is from: his 60% or right before Volk? or after his match vs Monster Volk?!
Anyway with 8C he reach his full potential which lead him a toe to toe match with Monster Volk (which he has the most efficient stat among everyone)
so something like 10 or even more in every category?
I think with Ultimate Zone, Tezuka's tech ought to be 7. Yuki's mental was a 6 before the series started. He has since overcome yips, PoP, and he's invented dream yips and "future steal", as well as his premonition howling. All of this combined with the mental boost that complete recovery has given him, I think his mental is 7 now. Kenya is #1 at speed lol, although it seems like Kintaro's shadow clone ability ought to be worth something.

Adamska

Reaction score
Country
Iran
I think with Ultimate Zone, Tezuka's tech ought to be 7. Yuki's mental was a 6 before the series started. He has since overcome yips, PoP, and he's invented dream yips and "future steal", as well as his premonition howling. All of this combined with the mental boost that complete recovery has given him, I think his mental is 7 now. Kenya is #1 at speed lol, although it seems like Kintaro's shadow clone ability ought to be worth something.
Tezuka before his former captain:
Power: 3.5 -Tech: 5- Mental: 4.5- Stamina: 3 - Speed: 3
Tezuka: Before his match VS Yukimura
Power: 4 -Tech: 6- Mental: 5- Stamina: 4 - Speed: 4.5
Kintaro's story is uniqe he can surpass all data and stat better than anyone! Wild Animal, Monster and Prince these three are something.