Character - Camus | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Camus

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Let's talk a bit about France's pro, Camus. Unfortunately the chapter 135 scan still isn't out yet, but here's what QP had to say about him:

France's Camus is a creative tactician. With his entry, there will probably be a huge shift in how tennis is played around the world.
What do you expect based on this, specifically the second part? What could Camus' playstyle be that would change how tennis is played throughout the world?

My initial thought was that he could be similar to Mizuki, so focus a lot on researching his opponents and specifically targeting their weak points.

Sai's idea was that he is basically a Counter Puncher who hinders his opponents and gets them to commit unforced errors (so kind of like a combination of the Defensive and Technical Counter Puncher types from one of the Pair Puris for those that still remember those).

I also talked to Frosty about this before, but I'll let him present his idea himself.

So does anyone agree with either one of these concepts or has other ideas?

ChinkyCandie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sounds like a strategist. Or an even better data tennis player than Mitsuya. I can see him being a threat to any of his opponents.

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
I think it's the "creative" part that are interesting. Data player or Mizuki player is kind of nice, but they're there before and in Mitsuya have been playing for a long time. I wonder how creative the guy have to be to change the way that tennis is played worldwide.

Philia

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I think he could be able grasp his opponents tennis very quickly like in 1-2 points or even just without seeing them play. Just watching how they walked to the court he can predict their movement.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I was thinking a bit more about this, and I guess two questions that came to my mind were:

1. Will Camus' style be something completely new? Or something we've already seen, but is just rare at the moment?
2. In order to bring about a worldwide shift, wouldn't that mean that his style can be achieved through hard work? If it was some special ability exclusive to him and a few others, nobody else could pick up the skill after all.

Atobe the king

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe Camus will be like Gille Simon...feeding no pace shots at the players and causing them to make errors as well as frustrate them.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
^ Sounds like Ochi's Mental Pressure.

@ Kaoz: The way you wrote that post sounds like Camus will be an almighty tennis god or something :P

I can see Byodoin getting frustrated with him and destroying him in the end though. I'm sure he'll eventually become a professional too. To be honest I can see Byodoin taking on the three Professionals (separately). They're probably going to challenge him the most. Tokugawa/Oni would have an exciting match but probbaly won't win.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

I just wanted to add, I don't see Byodoin losing to tennis players who have only trained in 1-2 countries. Byodoin has travelled the world playing tennis. He has more skill than professional players who've only trained in a few countries. Unfortunately, he'll lose to Ryoma. Just because he's the villain in Ryoma's eyes -_-'

I'm not a huge fan of Byodoin but I can't deny his skill.

felixng2011

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
^ Sounds like Ochi's Mental Pressure.

@ Kaoz: The way you wrote that post sounds like Camus will be an almighty tennis god or something :P

I can see Byodoin getting frustrated with him and destroying him in the end though. I'm sure he'll eventually become a professional too. To be honest I can see Byodoin taking on the three Professionals (separately). They're probably going to challenge him the most. Tokugawa/Oni would have an exciting match but probbaly won't win.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

I just wanted to add, I don't see Byodoin losing to tennis players who have only trained in 1-2 countries. Byodoin has travelled the world playing tennis. He has more skill than professional players who've only trained in a few countries. Unfortunately, he'll lose to Ryoma. Just because he's the villain in Ryoma's eyes -_-'

I think there are a few players who can beat Byodoin. After all Japan is small fry in the grand scheme of things. Byodoin is really dam good but he has some glaring flaws. Like his lack of speed and power. I think guys like Volk can beat him. Volk is on the captain of the best team in the world and he handled POP Tezuka like nothing. Even POP Kintaro was able to ace Kijin Oni a few times but Volk wasn't even phased by POP Tezuka and beat him without breaking a sweat(literally).

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We don't know much about Volk. I mean did he only train in Germany? Byodoin trained around the world. World > 1 country.

The HSs aren't at all phased by PoP. So Volk defeating PoP Tezuka doesn't mean much. MSs are excited about seeing others in PoP but HSs don't care. I mean Dudu wasn't phased by PoP Ryoma either.

FrostyMouse

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Kaoz, it's been a while since we chatted. I have kind of forgotten what we said, so would you mind just posting it here?

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
he'll lose to Ryoma. Just because he's the villain in Ryoma's eyes -_-'

And Oni's. And Irie's. And let's not forget Tokugawa. And those are people who open up that they have problem with it. Not everyone is fine enough to express their opinion to their superior, especially in Asian country. The fact that Byoudonin is 1. 3rd year HS 2. #1 HS JP representative probably both play a part. And MS are 3 years younger than Byoudonin.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I feel like Byodoin will defeat all his opponents except Ryoma even if Ryoma is 6 years younger. Simply because Ryoma is the protagonist and he sees Byodoin as the villain. Its kind of stupid even for Konomi to make a 3rd year high schooler who travels the world to be beaten by a 12 year old who has only been in two countries for tennis training.

World class-tennis (Byodoin) defeats Tokugawa who has been to Japan and France (that we know of). Byodoin's skills compared to everyone else makes him look like the tennis god only to be probably defeated by a 12 year old ...

Tavore

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
England
I feel like Byodoin will defeat all his opponents except Ryoma even if Ryoma is 6 years younger. Simply because Ryoma is the protagonist and he sees Byodoin as the villain. Its kind of stupid even for Konomi to make a 3rd year high schooler who travels the world to be beaten by a 12 year old who has only been in two countries for tennis training.

World class-tennis (Byodoin) defeats Tokugawa who has been to Japan and France (that we know of). Byodoin's skills compared to everyone else makes him look like the tennis god only to be probably defeated by a 12 year old ...
If Byodoin is a tennis god what the hell is Tokugawa who was whooping his ass in the 3rd set?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As far as we know, he's only been to Japan and France. We don't know any other country he's trained in. If he trained in much more countries like Byodoin, he'd do a lot more than just whooping ass.

Since Tokugawa was in France in his 1st year high school it could be possible if Camus and Tokugawa knew each other. Maybe Camus was someone Tokugawa admired and wanted to be like him. Just a thought.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
^I think you're overestimating the importance of world traveling a bit. When Oni and Byoudouin had their first match, Byoudouin had already been to at least America and India whereas Oni probably didn't even appear on the Japanese national stage, yet Oni won.

Tokugawa probably would've won against Byoudouin too, the reason why he didn't is that he protected Ryoma from the Destruction the night before. Tokugawa knowing Camus personally seems like an interesting train of thought, so far we've only really seen Oni's teachings in his playstyle though.

That said, Byoudouin is probably going to be the final boss and I fully expect him to beat at least one of the three pros along the way.

Kaoz, it's been a while since we chatted. I have kind of forgotten what we said, so would you mind just posting it here?
[2015-01-05 17:35:25] <Frosty> It could be that he discovered how to train and use multiple effective techniques into one player.
[2015-01-05 17:35:39] <Kaoz> hmm
[2015-01-05 17:35:55] <Kaoz> so he'd be like the ultimate counter puncher then?
[2015-01-05 17:35:56] <Frosty> For example, think about how there are so many awful moves in PoT (let's pretend that SPoT doesn't exist for a minute here) exist.
[2015-01-05 17:36:22] <Frosty> If the player whose move it is used them against a higher tier player, the higher tier player would just roll them anyway.
[2015-01-05 17:36:45] <Frosty> However, remember when Ryoma took low level moves, combined them together and used them to success against Sanada?
[2015-01-05 17:36:51] <Kaoz> I do
[2015-01-05 17:37:17] <Frosty> Spot would never work against Sanada normally, but by having added speed and movement, Spot scored against Sanada. It even created the Spot effect.
[2015-01-05 17:37:20] <Kaoz> that kinda feels like Byoudouin though?
[2015-01-05 17:37:35] <Frosty> I don't see it that way.
[2015-01-05 17:37:54] <Kaoz> well, he's gathered techniques from all over the world
[2015-01-05 17:38:05] <Frosty> I knew what you meant, but he wasn't using them together or anything.
[2015-01-05 17:38:10] <Kaoz> I guess
[2015-01-05 17:39:00] <Kaoz> so what kinda level moves do you think Camus has then?
[2015-01-05 17:40:16] <Frosty> Maybe Level 4-5 techs
[2015-01-05 17:40:24] <Kaoz> so like lower G10 level?
[2015-01-05 17:41:01] <Frosty> Probably, but he'd still need to be able to return stuff like Glowing Shot
[2015-01-05 17:41:06] <Kaoz> yeah
[2015-01-05 17:41:12] <Frosty> Otherwise he wouldn't be France's most relevant player.
[2015-01-05 17:41:15] <Kaoz> well, he can probably use the SSS, so that should take care of that
[2015-01-05 17:42:03] <Frosty> Yeah
[...]
[2015-01-05 17:43:02] <Frosty> Ultimately, once we move on from school or even pro-level WCs, Grand Slams are single player events and a trick lineup wouldn't change that as it's only you out there.
[2015-01-05 17:43:15] <Kaoz> yeah, true
[2015-01-05 17:43:40] <Frosty> So I was trying to come up with a way that would change how players everywhere could play.
[2015-01-05 17:43:58] <Frosty> It's also not like players in PoT/SPoT are incapable of learning each other's techniques or anything.
[2015-01-05 17:44:01] <Kaoz> it's true that the current HSers mostly have one technique or none
[2015-01-05 17:44:32] <Frosty> Yes, that's the thing. If you learn multiple techniques, even if they're all about the same level, if one's broken, you're not completely broken.
[2015-01-05 17:44:53] <Frosty> Plus, if they're complementary, like a speed tech and then a shot tech, they'll augment each other.

There you go.

Last edited:

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
To be honest, I think Byodoin lacks the motivation that Oni did in that match. Byodoin simply didn't feel like losing. Oni, on the other hand, wanted to make orphanage children happy when he became the best Japanese player. When you have something like that as your source of motivation, you can win.

I don't think Ryoma is going to get revenge on Byodoin on behalf of Tokugawa. He's not selfless enough.

With Camus, he is only a year older than Tokugawa and a pro. That's why I came up with the thought they could possibly know each other.

I, too, think Byodoin is the final boss. It'll probably be Nationals finals 2.0. Byodoin has the upper hand and then Ryoma unlocks something better than PoP. HSs aren't phased by PoP.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
Byoudoin isnt the final boss. He's a stepping stone for whats to soon come later down the road. Camus could potentially be someone that has also traveled around the world or at least europe where the level of tennis is higher than japan. He could be a data player or he could be the type that creates tactics as he goes using his intuition and natural athletic ability. I hope its the former so that data tennis is on the world stage but Byoudoin received that huge scar. He's not the final boss.

Ryoma is however a conceited brat that saw a new wall he couldnt overcome in the japanese U-17 and moved over to the USA U-17 to overcome. To him, its more that he has to become better than byoudoin than avenging tokugawa.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I thought Camus could be a data tennis player possibly too. QP could be one too. Byodoin can be the final Japanese/Asian boss :P Camus/Amadeus/Volk can be the European boss.

And your last paragraph, I thought the same really. Like Ryoma less and less.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I thought Camus could be a data tennis player possibly too. QP could be one too. Byodoin can be the final Japanese/Asian boss :P Camus/Amadeus/Volk can be the European boss.

And your last paragraph, I thought the same really. Like Ryoma less and less.
I wish Camus is a data player but hes probably going to be the naturally talented, super athletic type that was born to play tennis. Konomi has portrayed a lot of the top players in his manga as such. They dont really do any data collection but rather use their talents in the match to win. Its why all the top players are all-rounders and I think konomi will continue this all-rounder trend.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I wish Camus is a data player but hes probably going to be the naturally talented, super athletic type that was born to play tennis. Konomi has portrayed a lot of the top players in his manga as such.
This doesn't make much sense when combined with him possibly bringing about a huge shift in the way tennis is played worldwide though, does it. If he was relying on something like Insight, super flexible wrists etc. it would be impossible for all but a select few to emulate.