Discussion - Catharsis while reading Berserk | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Catharsis while reading Berserk

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis

Yes, so this aesthetic principle applies to Berserk a lot I think. Many times I wondered what I was going through, and it was catharsis it seems, so many gore, rape, so many evil things you would not want to be left to the dark forces like that fragile like Caska. I think I experienced it most in her situations how she was helpless and without Guts she would be dead and raped even more. Her condition also offers some pity and sadness and is overall TRAGIC. But it is her tragedy that makes us free while reading Berserk, seeing it with our own eyes. Do you think that when we go through the horrible violent demon gore in Berserk most of us are going through CATHARSIS?

Notice me Escanor senpai

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
Yeah kinda although I'm not sure if Miura is doing it intentionally.I just think he wants to say that humans and the world are screwed up.Whether it's set in a fantasy world, or in the real world. I don't think our minds are purified by reading Berserk. Miura brings forth the darkest feelings of humans and all the ugliness of the world, without being moralizing .He tries to give an accurate and honest portrayal of persons that could very well exist in our world.And imo that's what the manga is all about.
But I've noticed that each person reads Berserk differently, and is impacted in a different way.Some may have been in a situation were their friend or lover was raped, and they felt that the manga helped them to handle that situation, by not abandoning that person. I personally wasn't impacted that way.

Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well in catharsis you can never experience the stuff, only in the play/drama, so no need for personal experience, the "cleansing" part takes place with the reader being "pure" as well so he can be "more than pure"? Lol, this is getting too logically insane now.

But of course I always see some hope provided in Berserk, most dark situations are sometimes interrupted by Guts, but then when even he can not do anything I think Skull Knight is this beacon of light, and I think he represents hope.

yoshivalley

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm glad you brought up this topic. :) This is something I can relate to a lot. When I was going through a really dark period last year I'd actually read Berserk while listening to bleak music like black metal. It helped me to relax.

I've noticed when I'm feeling depressed I tend to watch really dark movies. It's like they vent for me.

Bonefist

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Berserk is deep, with cruel things, etc. Just like other works, it has something to say, like hope, good and evil and so on. Some may take it like a piece of entertainment, others can be really into it and the work can act — or not — on these people. Catharsis depends on people I think.

Actually, we can say that the catharsis was/is for Miura. His interviews speaks for him. He had no girlfriend, worked hard and so, was lonely. His work reflects how he was and how he felt at some times of his life.

SPie

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The concept of sacrificing parts of you for your dreams.
The concept of becoming a monster to fight monsters.
The process of "breaking" destiny by refusing to be someone elses sacrifice as well as the strength requiered, the will needed, the loneliness and pain that come with it but the ultimate freedom you enjoy.
Coming to terms with the darkness in yourself and standing up with your light to the darkness around you.
I do not think i have been able to stick to a character or a person or a story for so many years without outgrowing it.
But Berserk and especially Guts just embody way too many things that resonate with me.

llamapie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharsis

Yes, so this aesthetic principle applies to Berserk a lot I think. Many times I wondered what I was going through, and it was catharsis it seems, so many gore, rape, so many evil things you would not want to be left to the dark forces like that fragile like Caska. I think I experienced it most in her situations how she was helpless and without Guts she would be dead and raped even more. Her condition also offers some pity and sadness and is overall TRAGIC. But it is her tragedy that makes us free while reading Berserk, seeing it with our own eyes. Do you think that when we go through the horrible violent demon gore in Berserk most of us are going through CATHARSIS?
Man, it's the whole range of emotions. This manga in particular is so well written it brings out everything. Guts and Griffith's friendship was so profound and well developed you could feel the brokenness and betrayal when Guts left him and moved on. You get the whole gambit of emotions. Then the utter disgust when Griffith raped Caska in front of Guts as way to take away everything Guts held precious. Man, I can keep going. It's all leading somewhere and I think it will be epic by the time this Manga is finished.

Catharsis is a way of looking at it sure, but I don't really blame it on the artwork more than the writing itself being such a masterpiece.