Chapter 99 - Descent into Insanity | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Chapter 99 - Descent into Insanity

Djmewmew

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Its great to be back you guys! I had a lot of fun writing this, its mostly humor, the only thing I'm really good at, but i think it has the most actual plot I've ever written. XD Here we go!

Maniac had never thought he could be this uncomfortable sitting between two girls. He was normally uncomfortable around them, but this was ridiculous. On his left, looking out the window of the train car, was Tabby, brows knit together in worry. The normally talkative girl hadn’t said a word since a finder had called in a hurried report of the battle at sea.
The connection was shaky, so the finder had to cut his message to simply that Blade had fallen overboard, but due to extensive injuries on their side, they were unable to look for him and so could please send search boats out immediately. That in itself was distressing, save for right at the end of the message, right before the call ended; the finder had mentioned that Daniel would be in need of the most attention. After that, Tabby pleaded to postpone the mission for a little bit until the others got back, but Zane had ordered them to continue as planned. If there was anything to be found at the camp, the Order had to get there before it was blown away. So now Tabby was leaning her head on the window, staring wistfully out of it and sighing every now and then.
On his right was Rinvak. Obviously, she was still mad at Zane for this mission. She was sitting with her arms crossed, brows furrowed even deeper than Tabby, sort of grinding her teeth together and staring at one particular spot on the floor. Maniac wondered how long before the poor spot spontaneously combusted.
Maybe I should try to brighten everyone up a little he thought how ‘bout…
“At least this mission should be quick. Zane’s right, it is most likely deserted. We’ll be able get back to headquarters quickly and see who died.”
Yeah, that should alleviate some of this tension!
Tabby seemed to get twice as small.
That’s…not…good...
On his other side, Rinvak seemed seconds away from punching him. Maybe agreeing with Zane wasn’t the best idea he’d had?
“I’m… going to go the bathroom now…” Maniac quickly excused himself and tried not to open the door as if he feared for his life.
As he closed the door, he heard Rinvak hiss “That jackass.” Maniac wasn’t quite sure whether she was referring to him or too Zane.
And no matter what he’d just said, this was going to be long mission

The eleven hours until the train finally reached Boston passed much quicker once Maniac had found himself an area not inhabited by emotionally high-strung females. Unfortunately, that area was either the aisles or outside the back of the train on the caboose platform. After getting suspicious looks from the train conductors after an hour and a half of pacing around, he’d had to settle for the caboose platform. The time did pass quicker, but by the time he got off onto the platform, he was pretty sure he’d caught a nasty cold, both girls were now death glaring him, and he discovered that they’d somehow lost his luggage. How that could happen in private compartment on a trip that was non-stop didn’t leave much room for theories.
“Real fuckin’ mature.” Maniac muttered he watched the train disappear in the distance, already way to far away to chase. “I was just trying to lighten the damn mood!”
“And making a girl cry again is defiantly the way to do that.” Rinvak called, already walking away.
“I don’t try to on purpose!” Maniac fumed, running after them. Why is Renee the only woman that makes sense?
“Well you’re really good at it”
It was like the camp never existed. Craters from the battle littered the area, but not much else. The Noah had done a pretty good job of clearing out. Maniac was haven’t trouble finding even a scrap of paper. It would help a lot though, if he wasn’t the only one looking. Tabby was still out of her mind with worry, twirling a long stick around in circles on a patch of dirt. Maniac had already asked her several times to get moving, that she was a hindrance like this. Rinvak had exploded at that one too, screaming something incoherent about ‘girls’ and ‘Riena’ and “insensitivity’ but it was hard to tell with the expletives. After that, Tabby would shake her head to clear her thoughts, and get to searching, but within five or minutes she’d just stall again and take to doing something useless like she was doing now.
Rinvak, well, she was stomping around, kicking rocks over and glaring at the ground as if it was going to find the information for her. Maniac wasn’t sure what to say to her that wouldn’t cause her to explode into tiny bits, and since losing an exorcist would defiantly displease Renee, he decided to keep his mouth shut for once.
After several hours of searching on Maniac’s part, the ‘accidental’ kicking of rocks into Maniac’s head on Rinvak’s part, and the accidental writing of Daniel’s name in the dirt on Tabby’s part, Maniac was about to go nuts out of frustration. The rock that once again flew into head seconds later didn’t help either.
“That’s fu**in’ it! There’s nothing HERE!!!” Maniac roared, his anger reaching the boiling point. Tabby, snapped back to reality by the yell, tripped and fell from the surprise. Maniac glared at Rinvak, expecting some kind of sarcastic remark. She was staring intently at some bird’s feather.
“Huh? Did you say something Maniac?” she asked. Maniac just about popped a blood vessel in his forehead. He stomped off back in the direction of town.
“Hey, Tabby, come here a second.” Rinvak called behind him.

Maniac had never thought he could be this angry sitting between two girls. In a complete 180 of the first trip, both girls were smiling like crazy and joking with each other. Which was more uncomfortable than before because while that was normal for Tabby, Rinvak did not smile like that. There was something seriously wrong here.
“What are you two plotting now? You’ve already lost my luggage, and Zane defiantly won’t be happy if you toss me out the window.” Maniac threatened, trying desperately to watch both girls at once.
“Well, Zane is a douchbag,” Rinvak said with a smile, “but that’s beside the point. Why would we be plotting anything?”
“Why? I seem to have offended you even though I’ve done nothing wrong. And you’re smiling. You don’t smile.” Zane hissed.
“Nothing wrong? I beg to differ, but then insensitive men like you will never get it. I can smile if I want too. It brightens up the mood.” Rinvak said, her grin never dropped from her face. Tabby giggled. Maniac could feel another blood vessal about to pop, so for his health, he stomped out of the compartment to sit at what seemed to be becoming his new hangout.
Several hours later, Maniac couldn’t take it anymore. No, it wasn’t the cold this time; it was the knowledge that those girls had to be plotting something right now. He had to know or he would go crazy. So he snuck to the door of the compartment and settled down to eavesdrop.
“-and did you see her shoes?”
“Yeah, they sucked. But have you seen mine?”
“Oh! Those rule!”
“Yeah they do. Really expensive too.”
“Proabably wouldn’t fit me though, my feet are kinda big”
“Well, we’ll have to go get some shoes when we get back!”
What is this?!??! Maniac thought. They’re mocking me!!! Goddamnit, I won’t let you two win!!!!!
As the train pulled into DC, Maniac was almost frothing at the mouth. But he was pretty sure they weren’t planning something. Because after a couple of hours, he had learned the fashion and hottie ratings of half the order. Kanda was absolutely gorgeous and perfectly cool and distant (Tabby had spent quite a bit of time on that thread), Zane had no style but that was mostly forgivable (“He is blind after all” Tabby had commented), and Lavi was in need of a haircut. A lesser man than Maniac probably would have become gay.
“Oh Maniac, sleeping in the hallway?” Rinvak commented with her Cheshire cat grin, suddenly opening the compartment door.
“I…was… just….damn.”
“Well, pick yourself up and let’s move,” Rinvak yawned, “It’s late and I want to report back quickly so I can sleep.”
“So, how’d it go?” Zane asked, sitting at his desk, looking perfectly awake although the sun was an hour from rising and Maniac had deepening circles under his eyes.
“Nothing to report,” Maniac mumbled, “the camp was completely cleaned up.”
Rinvaks grin grew to seeming impossible proportions. It was a very good thing Zane was blind. “Well, this slacker has nothing to report, but Tabby and I found something very interesting.”
“WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?” ZANE, THESE TWO DID NOTHING THE ENTIRE FUCKING TIME OTHER THAN FUCKING GOSSIP!!!!!” Maniac was positively red with rage, almost foaming at the mouth.
“And yet this man refused to sit in the compartment with us and discuss the plan or the finds, lost his baggage, and found nothing himself.”
“ I KNEW YOU WERE PLANNING SOMETHING. YOU TWO ARE FUCKIN’ INTOLERATBLE! AND I WAS THE ONLY ONE SEARCHING!!!!” Maniac was on the verge of turning from red to purple.
“Can you back that claim up?” Rinvak asked with a raised eyebrow.
“Well-l, no, BUT-“
“Maniac, could you quiet down for a minute? I’d like to hear what Rinvak has found.” Zane demanded. That was the last straw. Maniac stormed out of the room to find Renee and tell her of this great injustice.
“It’s a feather.” Rinvak said coldly, all traces of false happiness gone now that Maniac had left. She handed Zane the feather so he could examine it.
“That’s not unusual. Birds all have feathers.”
“If you could look at the damn thing, you’d see that it’s a very unusual feather for the area. It’s from South America. The Amazon in fact. It’s a feather from the tail of a Quetzalcoatl.”
“That is interesting. So you think there new base is in South America? There are a couple of other reasons it could be there, but it’s a good of a lead as we’ve got.”
“Is that some sort of twisted compliment?” Rinvak asked sarcastically.
While Rinvak was reporting to Zane and Maniac was searching for Renee, Tabby was waiting by the emergency entrance near the infirmary. Tabby’s worry was easily twice what it had been on during the trip. The boat that had been called to pick up the injured was almost to the harbor. It must be within a wireless golem’s range by now, but the nurses, running around preparing for the incoming patients, wouldn’t tell her anything about Daniel. What was so bad that they couldn’t tell her?
The emergency door swung open and a group of finders carrying a man ran through past her into the infirmary, where the nurses descended on him. As they passed, Tabby caught a glance of an exorcist’s uniform.
“DANIEL!!!!!!” Tabby screamed, fighting past the finders at the door into the room. “DANIEL! ARE YOU OKAY? IS HE OKAY?!?!?!” Tabby screamed
One of the nurses grabbed her arm. “Miss, you can’t be in here right now, please let us do our work!” the nurse implored.
“NO!!! I HAVE TO KNOW HE’S OKAY!!!!” Tabby shrieked.
“Miss-“One of the nurses hovering over Daniel moved to get some supplies and Tabby caught a look at his face.
“DANIEL!!!!”
So yeah, how'd y'all like it? Sorry if I screwed up someone's plans, but I thought it'd be a good idea to at least have most of exorcists in one place for the 100th chapter, since I can't write Noah very well :x That being said, can you guys save some Daniel/Tabby for me in the 100th chapter? X3 I'm addicted~

gdupninja

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Job!!!!!!!!

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
You excited? You get to write in the next chapter! ;3

You read all that in a minute though? Neat 8D

gdupninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not all of it but most of it and yeah I gotta get my game face on cuz I have to write an intro 4 my character.

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awwww...... please read all it at some point~ I worked hard on this! Can't wait to read your part too~

gdupninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
I promise ill read it all but seriously, you did a goob job. Im gonna have to do my best to keep up with you ladies.

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Especially Snooge er.... Rhapsody and Magier. Magier's first language isn't even English, and she writes better than me!!! D: We all have to keep up with those two! XP

gdupninja

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah I couldn't have put in any better. I promise I wont dissapoint!

rhapsody blue

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Especially Snooge er.... Rhapsody and Magier. Magier's first language isn't even English, and she writes better than me!!! D: We all have to keep up with those two! XP
awwww... thanks for the compliment. i am much older than you so i had more practice. ^^

you're a great writer, dj! don't worry about it. the chapter was great though i did somewhat pity maniac. he is going to lose his mind at this rate. i'm glad that tabby showed some concern for daniel's situation and rinvak is conniving as ever! :kukuku

great idea on bringing everyone together. the ship probably sustained a lot of damage so it'll need to be repaired before it can venture to the main branch. oh i'm getting excited for my part though i really don't know what to write or how long it's going to be ^^;;

great job and keep up the good work!

Raijatsu

Reaction score
Country
Germany
great chapter!
I liked the gossip part. poor maniac I can understand how he felt after hearing all that senseless babble XD
now I have to think about the next part......

the new Noah HQ is in south america? oh nice :) gives me a lot off ideas
all these ancient cultures and myths

goes off for research

rhapsody blue

Reaction score
Country
United States
the new Noah HQ is in south america? oh nice :) gives me a lot off ideas
all these ancient cultures and myths

goes off for research
omg, rai! you're pulling a hoshino!

Raijatsu

Reaction score
Country
Germany
yeah but I only need a day or two ^^ it good tourism hasn't started before the 20th century most ruin and tempels of the aztek, inkas and maya are completely undiscovered and free to be used for the Noahs

my mind is filled with ideas now I'll start writing now

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
yeah but I only need a day or two ^^ it good tourism hasn't started before the 20th century most ruin and tempels of the aztek, inkas and maya are completely undiscovered and free to be used for the Noahs

TEMPLES? OH HELL YA >D

And does anyone get the "Let's get some shoes" reference besides me? XD;;;;

rosalefay

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Yays! ~ I liked this one, it was pretty fly. Poor Maniac, I kept thinking he was gonna go into cardiac arrest. xDDD And yay for some inevitable Tabby/Dan coming! <3

And let's here it for South America!

(Let's get some shoes. Omigod, shoes.)

Schwindelmagier

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Funny chapter, mewmew. I love the connection between part 1 and part 5. Poor Maniac, lol. The interaction was really nice and funny to read. Part 7 was the best. I laughed so badly. Ranking the Black Order guys... xD

Oooooooooooooh, thanks :hug
I often use the dictionary though. Nonetheless, lesser than at the beginning of this story. Writing chapters for this awesome story really improved my English. I even learned words like "be loath to do sth". ^^

omg, rai! you're pulling a hoshino!
OMG, you're right. A male Hoshino!

Fast, Rai. Fast. I am amazed.

Djmewmew

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yays! ~ I liked this one, it was pretty fly. Poor Maniac, I kept thinking he was gonna go into cardiac arrest. xDDD And yay for some inevitable Tabby/Dan coming! <3

And let's here it for South America!

(Let's get some shoes. Omigod, shoes.)
These shoes are 300 dollars.

LET'S GET THEM

((Whrrrrrrrry do I want to write an omake of them shoe shopping now?))

Zane: What are you going to do with your life?!?
Rinvak: I'm gonna get what I want!