Character expression in current Berserk group. | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character expression in current Berserk group.

cassaruby

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
First off, I don't like Farnesse & Serpico (boring) or Isidro (shounen).

Guts originally enforced his expectations & principles on those who got involved with him. Guts became strong enough to protect his principles & laughed at others who played victims (Puck) or tried to be greater then they're strength, because they chose not to be strong (Vargas). His original crew were crazed mercenaries who died if they didn't rise to the occasion.

Now he seems satisfied with everyone around him. He doesn't challenge them & seems to me to enable them by protecting them. I think he does this because Farnesse protects Caska & he seems to like his crew like they are the new band. My biggest problem is the way his crew get stronger. They don't feel pain or punishment. I think they mostly train on their own & then out of nowhere Isidro says shit like "All that moving around on the ship made me level up & next fight I'm justified in winning." Obviously he didn't say that, but that's what I hear.

Guts doesn't inspire me like he used to. What happened?

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Cool thread, first and foremost. :super

I really like discussing some of the obvious differences of early and current Berserk, the series has been going on for ages, so changes can happen, however the characters indeed have undergone some changes. Guts was a loner, firstly, so he became "friends" with the band of the hawk, that is when he started to bond, truly feel family, due to Gambino being a werido and a freak to him. So he just started to bond, he never really fully bonded with the Band of the hawk, remember he left them at times. So the thing is he is now finishing what he started with the band of the hawk, because they dies before he could really bond with them as friends and as family figures.

Currently Guts and Caska, mostly are in the process of going to the light, in other words, they are going through a period not vile so they can see the good things of the world more than the bad, and the bad things are just lurking in their path way, we will be surprised to what we find. Guts will start to get to his opld ways as soon as he sees what Griffith has been doing. This should please Guts fans though, he is going through rough personal moments always, how that is manifested depends on his surroundings.

102jayday

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I feel when things keep getting really bad you either turn into the bad or become a kinder person. Guts has done both, the black swordmens arc and with the beast of darkness inside of him. Now he has been showing a more gentle side, sometimes with caska picking food off her face, placing Shiekes hat back on her and more willing to help people when he use to turn away.

He has just matured through everything he has been through. I really loved when he returned after the black swordsmen arc and said "why do I realise it once it is gone" Something to lines it was about the bond with Caska and how he took it for granted the same as when he return to the band of the hawk then they died. Also I thought what he said when he was drowning from trying to save Caska who fell off the ship was really important.

The new cast have help Guts mature and look at the bright side of life when he believes everything is dark.
I like Serpico, I always thought he was pretty skilled for a normal human. He acted like the weakling in the holy chain and behind that he had the skill to challenge anyone almost.
Serpico and his Sister in the current group are the only ones with a tainted past. Serpico being a bastard son and looking after his insane mother and force to burn her. Farnesse with being feared and left alone in her mansion. Sheike wasn't bad but still not good for a kid to be treated different and abandon by everyone. I don't know what happen to Isidro but he is a crazy kid.

cassaruby

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love Schierke. No idea how to pronoun her name yet. She is strong; if she joined Griffith he'd be insane... Yeah, she has thick skin from being shunned & fits very well with Guts.

102jayday

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well she is taking after her teacher even her path seems the same like it was with the old lady and skull knight. I wonder how Schierke will go when she realises Sonia is with neo band of the hawk. Hmm maybe now that Griffith has his kingdom Sonia could mention that she meet a interesting owl who follows a big black dog that has a sword bigger than his body which could peak Griffith's interesting in getting them. Griffith character was to get his kingdom and now that he has done that he will only seek to make it be forever and to obtain more power. Which is where he would want to kill Guts and Caska for they are the last of the marks to live.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well, the witch girl is one of the main reasons that Guts has had the personality shift, she contributed the most, at least. I mean Isidro and Farnese also had a little bit to do with it, but I think it was mainly her and her connection with Guts. She literally has seen into his soul!

102jayday

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yep and she has stated how happy she is that she is the only one that can share that connection.

Struggler

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's been great seeing Guts grow and form his new group, as unintentional as their presence may be. I think Jayday said it best when he mentioned Guts' realisation after knowing that Casca was one of his sole reasons for living, he changed his attitude to meeting new people after having his discussion with Godo, he now neither accepts nor denies them but he's considerate of their very being and pretty much goes out of his way to protect innocent people. I think Guts knew that he couldn't take care of Casca on his own and that things would always become more difficult, so accepting new people into his life that he could trust makes sense and as time has passed, he's grown a really close friendship with them.

102jayday

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yep and it took a hell of a load off him with his endless nights. He was able to relax and calm down more thanks to the new cast.

SamuelDean

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
First off, I don't like Farnesse & Serpico (boring) or Isidro (shounen).

Guts originally enforced his expectations & principles on those who got involved with him. Guts became strong enough to protect his principles & laughed at others who played victims (Puck) or tried to be greater then they're strength, because they chose not to be strong (Vargas). His original crew were crazed mercenaries who died if they didn't rise to the occasion.

Now he seems satisfied with everyone around him. He doesn't challenge them & seems to me to enable them by protecting them. I think he does this because Farnesse protects Caska & he seems to like his crew like they are the new band. My biggest problem is the way his crew get stronger. They don't feel pain or punishment. I think they mostly train on their own & then out of nowhere Isidro says shit like "All that moving around on the ship made me level up & next fight I'm justified in winning." Obviously he didn't say that, but that's what I hear.

Guts doesn't inspire me like he used to. What happened?
So I am not the only one who has problems bonding with the new characters. I am remembering Griffith and the Band of the Hawk far too well.