Reading - Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Reading Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
The Collective Reading of Old (Complete)
Good Classic Comics

Hi and welcome to the thread for the collective reading of good old comics. Would you like to read a good already complete comic? Would you like to exchange impressions with others about what you read? Then this is the thread to find people with whom to read that old good classic comic you want to read.

• List of Old Good Complete Comics suggested for a collective reading
The first thing you may want to know is what comics are we suggesting for a collective reading. Next you will find the current list. The list includes the title of the comic with a link to a short review and some information you would like to know about the respective comic, the author, the date of the last collective reading done here in MH, and the list of current interested members.

SEINEN​
20th Century Boys, URASAWA Naoki / Never
Interested readers: goldb, Miyamoto Musashi, Mr. Arashi, ukimix, TheMoa

Hokuto no Ken, Buronson / Never
Interested readers: FaustXIII

Akira, OTOMO Katsuhiro / Never
Interested readers:

Annarasumanara, HA Il-Kwon / Never
Interested readers: ukimix

Ascencion / Kokou no Hito, SAKAMOTO Shinichi / Never
Interested readers: raDar, goldb, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, Schabrak

Blade of the Phantom Master / Shin Angio Onshi, YOUN In-Wan / Never
Interested readers: k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, ukimix, Shabrak, kindredxiuxiu, TheMoa

Eden it's an endless world, ENDO Hiroki / Never
Interested readers: raDar, goldb, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, Schabrak, kindredxiuxiu, benelori, TheMoa

Hellsing, HIRANO Kouta / Never
Interested readers: raDar, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, ukimix, TheMOa

Holyland, MORI Kouji / Never
Interested readers: raDar, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, Zehahaha

Homunculus, YAMAMOTO Hideo / Never
Interested readers: goldb, MiyamotoMusashi, Zehahaha

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hamme / Hoshi no Samidare, MIZUKAMI Satoshi / Never
Interested readers:

Monster, URASAWA Naoki / Never

Net Development, the Love Story of a Local Train / Densha Otoko - Net Hatsu, Kakueki Teisha no Love Story, NAKANO Hitori / Never

Parasyte, IWAAKI Hitoshi / Never
Interested readers: raDar, MiyamotoMusashi, kindredxiuxiu

Planetes, YUKIMURA Makoto / March-April 2013
Interested readers:

Pluto, URASAWA Naoki / Never
Interested readers: raDar, goldb, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, ukimix, Schabrak, kindredxiuxiu, TheMoa, FaustXIII

Sanctuary, Buronson / Never
Interested readers: raDar, MiyamotoMusashi, kindredxiuxiu, TheMoa

Sundome, OKADA Kazuto / Never
Interested readers:

Yokohama Shopping Trip / Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou, ASHINANO Hitoshi / ONGOING ON THIS THREAD
Interested readers: raDar, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, ukimix, kindredxiuxiu

SHOUNEN​
Akumetsu, TABATA Yoshiaki / Never
Interested readers: raDar, goldb, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, kindredxiuxiu

Vagrant Soldier Ares, RYU Keum Cheo / ONGOING ON THIS THREAD
Interested readers: MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. ARashi, ukimix

Bakuman, OHBA Tsugumi / Never
Interested readers:

Beck, HAROLD Sakuishi / Never
Interested readers: goldb, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, Zehahaha, TheMoa

Change 123, SAKAGUCHI Iku / Never

Dear, FUJIWARA Cocoa / Never
Interested readers:

Death Frenzy / Shigurui, NANJOU Norio & YAMAGUCHI Takayuki / Never
Interested readers: MiyamotoMusashi, kindredxiuxiu

Death Note, OHBA Sugumi / Never

Dragon Ball, TORIYAMA Akira / Never
Interested readers:

Full Metal Alchemist, ARAKAWA Hiromu / Never

Great Teacher Onizuka, FUJISAWA Tohru / Never
Interested readers: MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, kindredxiuxiu

Golden Boy Gash / Konjiki no Gash, RAIKU Makoto / Never
Interested readers: k-dom, Mr. Arashi

Harlem Beat, NISHIYAMA Yuriko / Never
Interested readers:

Houshin Engi, FUJISAKI Ryu / Never
Interested readers: raDar, k-dom, Mr. ARashi, ukimix, kindredxiuxiu, TheMoa

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, MIYAZAKI Hayao / ONGOING ON THIS THREAD
Interested readers: raDar, goldb, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, Mr. Arashi, ukimix, kindredxiuxiu, benelori, TheMoa, ErosVp

Rurouni Kenshin, WATSUKI Nobuhiro / Never

Saiyuki Gaiden, MINEKURA Kazuya / Never

Slam Dunk, INOUE Takehiko / Never
Interested readers: glodb, k-dom, MiyamotoMusashi, FaustXIII

Superior/Superior Cross , ICHTYS / Never
Interested readers: k-dom, Mr. Arashi, ukimix, Schabrak, kindredxiuxiu, TheMoa

Touch, ADACHI Mitsuru / Never
Interested readers: raDar, Mr. Arashi, Zehahaha, TheMoa, FaustXIII

Wa!, KOJIMA Akira / Never

Our Happy Hours / Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan, GONG Ji-young & SAHARA Mizu / Never

Wolf's rain, NOBUMOTO Keiko & BONES / Never

SHOJO​
Cowboy Bebop, KUGA Cain / Never

Lovely Complex, NAKAHARA Aya / Never
Interested readers:

JOSEI​
Nodame Cantabile, NINOMIYA Tomoko / Never

If you know about a good classic comic that is not in this list, you also can suggest other old classic and good comics to add to this list. After a short research on its popularity and reception it will be included.

• How to find people with whom to read an old good comic?

All you have to do is to copy the list of suggested comics, write in front of each comic "Yes" if you are interested in reading it, or "No", if you aren't, and post your list of preferences in this thread. To facilitate it, you can copy this simpler list to wrote your preferences:

20th Century Boys
Akira
Akumetsu
Annarasumanara
Ares
Ascencion / Kokou no Hito
Bakuman
Beck
Blade of the Phantom Master / Shin Angio Onshi
Change 123
Cowboy Bebop
Dear
Death Frenzy / Shigurui
Death Note
Dragon Ball
Eden it's an endless world
Full Metal Alchemist
Great Teacher Onizuka
Golden Boy Gash / Konjiki no Gash
Harlem Beat
Hellsing
Hokuto no Ken
Holyland
Homunculus
Houshin Engi
Lovely Complex
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hamme / Hoshi no Samidare
Monster
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Net Development, the Love Story of a Local Train
Nodame Cantabile
Parasyte
Planetes
Pluto
Rurouni Kenshin
Saiyuki Gaiden
Sanctuary
Slam Dunk
Sundome
Superior/Superior Cross
Touch
Wa!
Our Happy Hours / Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan
Wolf's rain
Yokohama Shopping Trip / Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

Or simpler, you can post the those comics from the list you would like to read. Once you have posted your preferences, the first post of this thread will be updated including your preferences in the interested readers lists.

• When to start a collective reading and where to exchange comments about the comic?

You can start a collective reading when the members interested in reading the respective comic are enough to give it a try. The more members are interested, the much rewarding will be the collective reading. Two persons to begin a collective reading could be not a good idea, but 5 or more can be worth a try. It will depend also in how much the people are engaged in reading the comic.

Once you are enough people to begin, any of the persons interested can PM all the others and you can create a thread in the otaku finder section for the collective reading of the respective comic.

• Rules for the collective reading

Wet advice the readers agree on the rules they are going to follow in the collective reading. You can use an schelude, or not (using in this case the spoiler tag rule). Or you can choice some different rules than these two.

Here we explain those rules

Rule: The schedule
The first one will be a schedule for the comments (not for the reading). In each case, the schedule will be discussed and agreed between the readers. The goal of this rule is to group the individual readings in a common pace as much as possible.

Rule: The spoiler tag rule

It's clear that in some weeks you could have the wish to read faster or slower than the chosen pace for the collective reading in the schedule. For instance you may want to go faster and to post comments about ulterior pages, chapters or volumes to those assigned for a certain week in the schedule. We don't want you to restrain of it. Go ahead!

To make that possible, you may adopt this rule:
all comments about the story should have to be posted between spoiler tags, with a little title indicating what chapter or volume our comment is about,
... like either of these examples:

C+omment on chapter 35:

So the murderer was Gabriel. Unexpected, the story pointed all the time to Maria...
or

So the murderer was Gabriel. Unexpected, the story pointed all the time to Maria...
With this rule, you will get two different things: (i) your reading will be protected from spoilers you don't want to read about chapters you haven't read yet, and it will allow you to comment whenever you want to do it. (ii) you will be able to post comments about pages, chapters or volumes others than those assigned for that week in which the comment is posted.

• Currently collective readings on going

You can join any of the following collective readings which are on going:

The project

The idea of this initial thread will be to select a good oldie to be read for the users, so that we could share impressions as the reading advances. Once we have selected the comic, we will create another thread for sharing comments about it. It's possible to select more than one comic. All that depends on the users’ choices.

I will explain the system we could use it. Any suggestion and improvements are welcome.

We can't read the whole comic in a week. So once the comic has been chosen, we have to divide its chapters in small groups of chapters so that we will be takling a group per week. About the division in chapter we can simple divide them homogeneously (the same number of chapters per week). Or we could get an advice of someone who knows the comic and knows for better where to make and stop and where not. I suppose we will see what to do once we have chosen the comic. In either of this ways we will be able to set the schedule of the collective reading.

This schedule will have the form:

Week 1 -----> Chapters 1 to n
Week 2 -----> Chapters n to p
Week 3 -----> Chapter p to q
Etc.. to the end.

Of course, it would be stupid to ask people not to read in advance the chapters to be comented in a future week. People could get caught for a fascinating plot, and possibly will want to know what happens next, instead than waiting a week to see it.

But also many of us won't like our reading spoiled for an inconvinient comment. So we will be adopting a rule not about the reading but about the comments allowed in the thread. The rule will be this one:

You can't comment a chapter assigned for a future week. You only can comment a chapter assigned for the present week, according to the schedule.
So if we are in the week 2 dedicated to comment chapters n to p, in that week, no comments on chapters p+1 or more will be allowed. To control that we won't have a moderator, but we could be using the report button below the comment and we will be assisted by the mods of the site as it was pointed here.

Of course the thread is public and everyone is free to invite everyone to join. Everyone will be very welcome.

How to vote

We are using a some categories to know about the preferences of the participants. Here the categories and the letter associated to each of them:

N --> Not interested
R --> has Read
C --> Can reread
I --> Interested
II --> very interested
You can vote posting in this thread your preferences in regards of each comic of the list above. To do it you just have or to copy the list and write the letter of your preference in front of each of the listed comics, or simply to fill a colum in the sheet 'To Fill' of this google spreadsheet with the appropiate letter for each comic. Here the list:

List of nominated comics

• GTO 200 chapters that would be like 25 volumes.

Counting system:

We follow these rules to count the votes:
  1. Categories C (Can reread), I (Interested) or II (Very Interested) are counted a positive single vote for the respective comic. Categories N (Not interested), R (has read) are counted as no vote for the respective comic.
  2. In case of a tie, we are asigning some weight to each categorie in the following way:
    -1 = N --> Not interested
    0 = R --> has Read
    1 = C --> Can reread
    2 = I --> Interested
    3 = II --> very interested
    With this weights we will be breaking the tie by deciding that the winner comic will the one with the higher weight. If the tie persists we should have to reach an agreement.
  3. Deadline for voting: You can vote only until next March 15 at 23:59 GMT.
  4. You also can correct your previous votes or add new ones until the deadline for votes.

Final Results

Preferences:

Votes (3 winners with 8 votes each):

Weight (2 winners with 21 points each):

Voters agree on reading Planetes by Makoto Yukimura.

Here we have opened a thread for the discussion of this great manga

(Re)reading classic literature is part of our current education
and life on society. Why not (re)reading classic comics?

----------------

(Re)reading classic literature is part of our current education
and life on society. Why not (re)reading classic comics?

Last edited:

Zehahaha

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Morocco
So I finished Shin Angyo Onshi, my impressions can be summed with one word (don't have the time to develop fully atm) : Mind blowing
This manwha, storywise is great, albeit it was extremely short, because I think there could've been a lot more development but anyway. It captivated me since the very first chapters and that is pretty rare for me.

The characters are the forte of this manwha, although the vilain lacked proper development for me, and his motives were " weak " for me... But still, good characters !
As for the art, I think it is rather good, it is enjoyable and fits the story of the manwha perfectly

A must read for me

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
So I finished Shin Angyo Onshi, my impressions can be summed with one word (don't have the time to develop fully atm) : Mind blowing
This manwha, storywise is great, albeit it was extremely short, because I think there could've been a lot more development but anyway. It captivated me since the very first chapters and that is pretty rare for me.

The characters are the forte of this manwha, although the vilain lacked proper development for me, and his motives were " weak " for me... But still, good characters !
As for the art, I think it is rather good, it is enjoyable and fits the story of the manwha perfectly

A must read for me
I really like so much SAO. It's just marvellous. I also enjoyed the characters, specially the protagonist and his helpers which are superb each on their kind.

So you would vote Shin Angio, is it right?

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I'd like to read the rest of those mangas in the list before that, although I've always read Akumetsu which is great too, I liked it a lot !

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
As for me I have read Shin Angyo Onshi, Ares and Homunculus so I would prefer one of the other titles (my first choice goes to Eden which I want to read for a long time now) but wouldn't mind rereading on Shin Angyo Onshi. Also I know Ascension is supposed to be good but the firsts chapters didn't convince me and I didn't continue but if it's chosen that would force me to give it another chance.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I'd like to read the rest of those mangas in the list before that, although I've always read Akumetsu which is great too, I liked it a lot !
So you would read all the titles before SAO... ok. I will update the first post with yours, k-dom and mine selections. I hope everybody don't vote: "I will read any of them", otherwise we won't be able to chose one. :neutral

Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Ehm, stupid question, where do i vote?

I have read everything on the current list except Houshin Engi which does not look that interesting to me to be honest, i obviously could be wrong though. Been a while since i have read Eden, so i support k-dom on that. Other than that, i would prefer Kokou no Hito and Homunculus since i think that both titles give so much to talk and discuss about.

Why did Zehahahahahaha already read Shin angyo though? Out of personal interest?

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Ehm, stupid question, where do i vote?

I have read everything on the current list except Houshin Engi which does not look that interesting to me to be honest, i obviously could be wrong though. Been a while since i have read Eden, so i support k-dom on that. Other than that, i would prefer Kokou no Hito and Homunculus since i think that both titles give so much to talk and discuss about.

Why did Zehahahahahaha already read Shin angyo though? Out of personal interest?
You can vote here in this thread. I will take your post as a vote for Eden, Kokou no Hito and Homunculus. You can add more votes if you want to or correct your previous votes. Deadline for voting: March 21 at 23:59 GMT.

Last edited:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sadly, I probably won't have time to join in on this but I really like the idea! Also, I've sadly read almost all of those.:p

I also have a suggestion if your looking for good finished series that most probably haven't read.

Superior/Superior Cross by Ichtys

It's a completed series that centers around a demon queen responsible for the slaughter of over half of the worlds human population who is known throughout the world as Maou-sama and her travels with a hero, who is on a quest to destroy her. With no idea that one of his companions is the very one he's looking to destroy.

It has a total of 15 Volumes (Superior had 9 and Cross had 6) and I highly recommend it. It doesn't reinvent the wheel as far as fantasy stuff (you'll find some archetypes, no question) goes but it's a series full of strong raw character emotion. Not to mention Sheila is an Androssi level of awesome(I'm just going to assume everybody knows who that is).

If that tickles anybodies fancy and wants to know more, I wrote a full series review back in day.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I will add it to the proposal list. Thanks a lot. It's a shame you don't have the time.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
A few more proposals, there should not be a limit, right?

Sanctuary
Slam Dunk
Nausicäa
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
20th Century Boys
Beck
Pluto
Hoshi no Samidare
GTO

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I would love to read Nausicäa. Proposals added.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've not got any oldies to contribute to the series( sorry) besides maybe City Hunter and maybe Planetes; I've not read the latter but I hear many good things about it and the former series is incomplete. I'm mostly here to join and be educated by older series. I'd like to read Nausicaa or 20th Century Boys, as I've got those 2( and maybe a few of the others) on my reading list.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Thanks goldb. I added Planetes to the list. Very short. It should be no more than a month if it's chosen. :-)

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
I choose Akumetsu! I've already read to chapter 45 but i dropped it because in that time i didn't knew so much about english language. Also learning about economy and politics is welcomed, i had a good impressions reading Sanctuary for example.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Ok, I will add the votes. Good to have you here.

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
I'll go with Nausicaa. I've read it before, but didn't manage to finish (I think I've only got up to half of the whole collection of volumes). So maybe by this I can finally finish it. :D

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Ok; welcome raDar!!

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Nausicaä, Shin Angyo Onshi, Pluto, Planetes and Hoshi no Samidare would be rather short reads if that is important for some concerning the voting.